Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

Well I did say that it's partially my own fault, but it doesn't really matter how long the books have been out - the spoiler tags are there to be used. And it's general forum policy that unless it's a dedicated reading circle thread, then the tags are generally meant to be put to use. I frequent the Twilight thread, and the majority of the female world has read those, but I still use (and encourage others to use) spoiler tags. Although I find that the girls and I who post there a lot never actually post untagged spoilers anyway.

I agree... Just because so many people have already read the HP books doesn't mean we shouldn't apply the same caution as with other books. The discussions are also there to help others decide wether or not they want to read particular books. If we dont use spoiler tags then they wont be able to enter the threads.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It only takes a second to spoiler cover the text, it's not really a big problem, but I think some people aren't sure what could be considered a spoiler, as for someone like Roxi who's never read them, anything could technically be a spoiler. You just have to be mindful about what you're posting really, and most of us do manage to do it.

For the longest time I resisted reading the Harry Potter series. It was so trendy and popular that I figured it must be awful. I can't remember what the catalyst was, but at some point (between the publishing of books 5 and 6) I finally broke down and started reading the series.

Despite my obstinance, I was rewarded was a light, easy and enjoyable read. Since then I've reread the series a few times, and every time I am quickly drawn into the world of this lovable young man.

Perhaps I am a bit of a low-brow reader, but I don't feel, as many of you do, that the final books of the series were lacking. From start to finish, I would highly recommend this series to anyone who, like me, has been too stubborn to follow the trend.

I've reread the series a few times and I always seem to spot a new hint early that J.K.Rowling leaves. I agree with Binary Digit about the final books.

Can recommend the series to anyone, unless magic in books really annoys you. The characters are well written, the books are easy to read and the story is good.

every time I am quickly drawn into the world of this lovable young man

I commend you for actually finding Harry loveable - I wish I could have; it probably would have made the final books (which, apart from the change of style that was my main problem, are more Harry-centric than the first three or four) more pleasant to read.

Personally I found him (as he got older) to be in turns whiny and a reluctant "woe is me" hero (a bit like a young Thomas Covenant), and a stubborn, arrogant, "I don't need anyone" brat who thinks he can do it all on his own.

My favourite characters, the ones that made me enjoy the first few books so madly, were the Weasleys (particularly the twins,

I was so sad and yet so proud when they defied the Umbridge regime and went out with, literally, with a bang

), Snape (whose dry wit I love, especially if delivered deadpan by Alan Rickman), the stilishly villainous Lucius Malfoy, Sirius Black (

I was so cross with JK when she offed him, I cried for hours

)... people like that.

But maybe it's just me.

In all honesty, I can't say I loved Harry the entire time. It was hard for me to like him

when he was sharing his head-space with Voldemort

due to all his anger issues. My wife helped me to forgive Harry by reminding me of my own childhood. There is a time in every young man's life when anger and affront are incredibly difficult feelings to suppress.

In my opinion Rowling did a masterful job of capturing that journey from boy to young man. While Harry's humanity didn't always make him likeable, it made him more real to me, and therefor more lovable.

I love the Harry Potter books but I was never a big fan of Harry himself. He never seemed like much of a hero - he was just incredibly lucky for the most part, and he had great people around him to lead him by the hand and help him out.

Reading this thread has made me want to reread the series.

:haha: I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I love the Harry Potter books but I was never a big fan of Harry himself.

I'm the same. I love the Weasleys. Ron, in particular was a firm favourite of mine. In the books and the movies. :D

Neville was done greatly, that was how i imagined him to be. That whole Remeberall or i forget what it's called scene where Malfoy steals it on the broomsticks was fantastically done.

Well film Neville is a fair bit different seeing as they keep giving him Dobby's role! I think this is going to shoot them in the foot a bit to be honest seeing as

Dobby saves the prisoners at the Manor and then dies, something they can't have filled by Kreacher or Neville. Plus it will make the awesomeness of Neville in Deathly Hallows less dramatic and therefore less awesome. Neville really comes into himself in DH and it won't seem so much like this in the films as they've made him seem smarter and maybe even a little braver in the films

I've been wondering what they plan to do about Dobby in the DH.

I can't see how they could miss out Harry being captured and taken to Malfoy Manor because that's when he earns the ownership of the Elder Wand.....but without Dobby, how could he get out?

I get the distinct feeling that the film makers know that they have to get the plot right. I keep hearing so many stories and counter stories about plans for the last two films.

There are a number of plots threads that HAVE to be brought together in the final two - there will be lynch mobs if too much is left out or altered! :)

I think Neville is one of my favourites in the books,

and I love that he has a special understanding of the Room Of Requirement, and then later steps forward to deal with Nagini - true grit!

Two others I love are Luna and Ginny. They are both understated but are great literary role models.

It's brilliant how Neville's character develops from the start, in fact, it's so amazing how almost everyone progresses, it's wonderful how Rowling makes us actually care for them.

Yes I love how Neville progresses till he gets to the point in DH

where he's really awesome and definitely a Gryfindor.

Luna is my favourite though, I respect her because she doesn't care what other people think about her