Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he got a bit emo :yes:

:) He really did start to irritate me when that happened. I always thought he was a fantastic teacher to Harry, really reminded me of some cool teachers i had. I think all the Weasley's are portrayed well, Snape - there's no words to describe how well Rickman does him. Malfoy is exactly! how i imagined him. There's so many great performances.

I might get stoned for this but, ahem, let's try anyway: I thought the first four books were awesome, incredible, the best books I'd read in ages (it helped that at the time I was at home with a broken leg and boredom aplenty, so I got to read them in one go), the fifth very hit and miss, the sixth bad and the seventh just unreadable.

I got the feeling with the last one that she'd lost the will/inspiration to write about these people and that she was just doing it to fulfill a contract/fan's expectations/her pockets. I also got the feeling the publishers, knowing full well anything with "Harry Potter" written on the cover would sell, didn't even bother paying someone to proofread it - style, syntax, grammar are all-over the place.

Or is it just me?

I hated the last one when I first read it, but liked it more this time around when I read it again. I always think when it comes to latter books in a series, it's going to be a bit divided as to people who like it and people who don't, because everyone wants the story to go in different directions.

I do agree that's she's got a bit money grabbing though, I mean Tales of Beedle The Bard couldn't have taken her long to write, but at

Actually the proceeds of Beedle the Bard went to charity and it was originally written by hand in a very grand looking book which was auctioned off for charity. I do agree that it was expensive for such a small book but I don't mind so much because it was for charity

I didn't really get to discover the last book's storyline to be honest - the poor quality of the writing (so far removed from the near-genius of the first four) made it impossible for me to proceed any further. I only know the end, vaguely, because friends urged me to read the "Epilogue" for cringing-value. *Shudder*

Yeah.....that epilogue was a bit embarrassing :lol: It was the names of those kids that did it.

But apart from that I really enjoyed it! I don't know how many times I've read them all now and with the new movie coming out soon I'm tempted to read them again. It's really good to read them all again knowing the final outcome.

Edited by Nicola
Spoiler

Ah it's as much my own fault - it was reading people's opinions on the books that made me decide to read them, so I can't help reading the general comments people make - what books are good/bad/drawn out/most exciting/whatever. Makes me more inclined to continue reading them.

Yep - people, can you please be considerate to others who haven't yet read the books.

To be fair though, the books have been out for a few years now, and anyone reading this thread should expect to see some discussion that will contain spoilers.

Well I did say that it's partially my own fault, but it doesn't really matter how long the books have been out - the spoiler tags are there to be used. And it's general forum policy that unless it's a dedicated reading circle thread, then the tags are generally meant to be put to use. I frequent the Twilight thread, and the majority of the female world has read those, but I still use (and encourage others to use) spoiler tags. Although I find that the girls and I who post there a lot never actually post untagged spoilers anyway.