Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

I think you're being pretty harsh on Harry Potter, Maedeh. As Bree said, it might be easy for you to write a fantasy story, but it's not easy for everyone, otherwise we would all be hugely successful authors, right? Have you tried to have your fantasy story published?

I also don't think that reading for fun is a good enough reason to criticise the books. Why is reading for fun a bad thing?

Mostly, though, I take exception to this point:

If you think that the HP books are shallow and 'just a story' with no layers, then I believe you have missed the point completely. The books have many layers. I won't go into them because they've been discussed endlessly on the internet. You have obviously already made up your mind, but I hope that you'll give them another chance when you're a bit older and can perhaps read them afresh.

I totally agree with you kylie. If a person only wants to read for education, I have plenty of math and history books to loan. :)

I would venture to say that most people read for enjoyment, not for furthering their education. Not that there is anything wrong for reading to further an education, but, there are other reasons to read like "simple" enjoyment.

I am of the opinion that the Harry Potter books were well written and the story line was outstanding. It is easy to criticize an author that is more popular than most others, but it is very hard to try writing as well as him/her. The bottom line is J.K. is one of the most popular writers in history, not the best, but one of the most popular. Credit to her for her success.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E L James is one of the most popular writers in recent years, but - and I say this with no disrespect to people who like her works - popularity doesn't necessarily mean something is good.

I made my point here, but I will reiterate one part of it here: I think Rowling was simply the right person in the right place with the right story at the right time.

It's not all luck, I'll grant you, but it's not all talent either.

E L James is one of the most popular writers in recent years, but - and I say this with no disrespect to people who like her works - popularity doesn't necessarily mean something is good.

I made my point here, but I will reiterate one part of it here: I think Rowling was simply the right person in the right place with the right story at the right time.

It's not all luck, I'll grant you, but it's not all talent either.

And, one person's "opinion" does not mean something is not good, it is simply an opinion.

Well said, Muggles. :)

And I completely agree with this:

I think Rowling was simply the right person in the right place with the right story at the right time.

I watched an Aussie interview with Rowling last night, where it was noted that EL James had knocked Rowling off the top of the list of highest-selling books of all time (or something similar). Rowling said (to paraphrase): 'Imagine how many more copies I would have sold if Harry had been more creative with his wand'. :giggle2:

Just in case we missed it the first time? That must count as spamming :lol:

You could say right person/right place/right time about almost anyone who's that successful, imo.

My point is her success isn't proportional to her talent or the merits of the books. The whole Potter franchise (both books and films) just got hyped to ridiculous levels by the media and they kept feeding the hunger they cultivated because it helped them sell more copies of their own product.

Edited by Raven

Another stuck record :P

Your point can be aimed at Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Twilight, Hunger Games et al, all of which could be said to be right person/right place/right time. Rowling may not be the greatest writer around, but she's a far better storyteller than the authors/creators of those, imo.

• 5 months later...

So I've only just started on these after all these years. I've not even watched any of the films :blush2:

I've just finished book 1 and my question is do they get better?

It was ok but nothing special like everyone raves about IMO but I had been told that it isn't until after book 3 it starts to get more adult themed and darker.

Just wondering if anyone would agree and if they do get better?

The first one has to do a lot of scene setting, but from book two onwards, you get straight into the story, so that improves them but, personally, I think they peak at the third book The Prisoner of Azkaban, and after that they all need a decent edit.

The first one has to do a lot of scene setting, but from book two onwards, you get straight into the story, so that improves them but, personally, I think they peak at the third book The Prisoner of Azkaban, and after that they all need a decent edit.

Agreed!  PoA is far and away my favourite  :smile:

^ It used to be mine as well, but when I re-read it last year a certain key scene annoyed me immensely because it was dragged out for so long (yes, it was done for dramatic effect, but there is just no way the scene would have played out like that in real life!).

Not in the same way, no. 

The book was long, yes (though not OotP long . . .), but the climax didn't drag on anywhere near as much as it did in PoA (or tDH, for that matter).  The resolution of PoA works well the first time you read it, but when you know what is going on the way it unfolds just doesn't make sense.

Star, first time I almost gave up on book 1, it took too long to get going. Now I've read it so many times I've lost count- but I still skip the first few chapters, it's probably my least favourite (although OOTP is rather dragged out, by then I just devoured any Potter book). The later ones are I think generally darker and more adult, although I think Chamber of Secrets is pretty dark myself.

My favourites are Chamber of Secrets and Half-Blood Prince, if you do read the rest you might be able to work out why.

Without spoiling, that's always the danger with that kind of plot. Fortunately I've only read it the once, and am unlikely to ever re-read it, so it's still my fave :lol:

use the spoiler tags! Edited by Lucybird

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved the Harry Potter series. I read books 1-4 when I was ages 9-12 ish (don't really remember) and I just recently read books 5-7 in 2011. I was never a Potter geek, but it's one of those series that everyone knows and it's sort of a "must read". I thoroughly enjoyed reading all 7 books and might even go back and read them all again at some point. 

• 2 weeks later...