Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you know that in (don't read if you haven't read last book)

the next film, he'll still have a major role to play in keeping Harry alive and teaching him ever more (the scene in King's Cross) so he's still there kind of which is nice.

But you know that in (don't read if you haven't read last book)

the next film, he'll still have a major role to play in keeping Harry alive and teaching him ever more (the scene in King's Cross) so he's still there kind of which is nice.

Crying was before that :tong:

:) :) That scene was just.. EPIC.

we finally know what Dumbledore was thinking all that time, why he did all the things he did. He's such a great person.. Why did he have to die?! :weeping: :weeping:

I agree...:cry2:

However, reading all the spoilers in here has intrigued me at least plotwise, so I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to tell me in one big spoiler-wrapped post what the plot actually is? A brief summary of battles/deaths/allegiances/love stories is what I'm after.

Thanks you.

No need to spoiler - one word - CAMPING - LOL!

Oh no don't say that, I've just got up to the camping :)

In all honesty I didn't find the camping that bad the first time round, I was just in a hurry to finish the book to see who dies and how it ended. Second time round camping was a drag, now third time *gulp*

I got really annoyed by the camping-forever-and-ever-and-ever nonsense n the last book. If they had cut most of that (which, in my opinion, was just not required anyway), the book would have been less than half the length and far better. I was rather disappointed by the last book to be perfectly honest.

I got really annoyed by the camping-forever-and-ever-and-ever nonsense n the last book. If they had cut most of that (which, in my opinion, was just not required anyway), the book would have been less than half the length and far better. I was rather disappointed by the last book to be perfectly honest.

I found the camping section highly annoying as well.

At the end of book 6 everything is set up for the big show-down, but then Rowling sticks rigidly to her "One book is a year in the life of Harry/a term at Hogwarts" policy and it basically causes the plot to stall for a good three hundred pages . . .

I enjoyed the climax of that section with

the snatcher guys getting them (albeit with a stupid method; that of Voldemort's name being tagged or whatever :S) but i agree a lot of it was needlessly and annoyingly drawn out! Surely we could have got to Malfoy Manor in a more effective and enjoyable way than that situation?

It could have so worked at Hogwarts they could have looked for the

Horcurxes

there and gonna on little expiditions to find them. And Snape would have been torturing them for information

whilst secretly trying to help them.

And then when it all got to much and the DA

started staying in the room of requirments

Harry could gace stayed with them.

I think the series began to get a little drawn out when the whole thing about

horcruxes

took over, i just found it getting increasingly boring. Of course that's just a little whine, the series is fantastic :D

• 3 weeks later...

atticjnr....shhhh. Don't mention death or died. If Miss Whitlock hears you, she'll get all wobbly and sad as she thinks about

Dobby

:blush:

I really my re read of the series, especially having another read of 'Deathly Hallows'. I had been in such a rush to read it the first time around, it was nice to settle comfortably into it and catch the nuances and subtleties that I missed the first time around.

The thing that many have complained about with DH is that too much time was spent in the tent, but I felt that it was appropriate to taste that time, to get a feel for the length of time it took to fathom what to do next etc.

You could feel the frustration and the angst, and it allowed for the development of the trios relationship

as Ron came and went, Hermione experienced his abandonment, their visit to Godric's Hollow etc

. Had this time flown past it would have felt too false, a device to get to the action. A lot was handed to them (in a literary sense) through coincidence, had everything happened quickly it would have been too much of a short cut.

I think the Deathly Hallows was a brilliant read. I really liked how JK ended with everyone being married with children of their own. The book is being split into two parts for the film as it is so long and I really can't wait to see it.

I am going to re-read The Half Blood Prince within the next week or so to refresh my memory as I have my tickets booked for the film in 3D :)

I am such a Harry Potter Freak!!! :blush:

Edited by SweetiiPie85

I hear you! :blush:

I somewhat agree with this view, it was very irritating and drawn out, but it did get you into that world well and maybe you experienced a little of how their minds were working, the frustration, tension and claustraphobia the three were feeling whilst on the run in the middle of nowhere. I know i'm complaining about it frequently, but it's because i don't find many things i don't like within the series, so as soon as something irritates me it's at least something to moan about :)

I am going to re-read The Half Blood Prince within the next week or so to refresh my memory as I have my tickets booked for the film in 3D :blush:

I read somewhere on line that the 3D version has 12 extra minutes! I will have to seek out where I may have read that. ;)

LATER......I have been looking out for where I read the 12 minute thing, and all I could find was somewhere where it was mentioned that there is ONLY 12 minutes of 3D in that version, not 12 extra. :) I'm gonna keep looking!

Edited by Chrissy
added new info

I read somewhere on line that the 3D version has 12 extra minutes! I will have to seek out where I may have read that. ;)

LATER......I have been looking out for where I read the 12 minute thing, and all I could find was somewhere where it was mentioned that there is ONLY 12 minutes of 3D in that version, not 12 extra. :blush: I'm gonna keep looking!

Thanks for the info Chrissy :). I'm going to see the film at the Imax Cinema and I don't think the other Cinemas are showing the film in 3D as it's an Imax experience.

Ah, well last night i finished my re-read of Half Blood Prince and once I have done a few jobs around the house, ima sit down with a cuppa and make a start on DH!

:D

im excited about reading it as i dont remember much of it at all, im looking forward to finishing the series in one whole read through, and im also not looking forward to having no more Harry Potter :lol:

As for the films, i still need to see them all so i am going to do a marathon watch through with the girlfriend then going to see HBP at the cinema when it comes out!

:)

• 3 months later...
Have any of you listened to the CD? The book is read by Jim Daly and he is AWESOME!!! I mean, every character has their own distinctive voice throughout the entire serie.
I thought Stephen Fry did the audiobooks for HP :D?

Have any of you listened to the CD? The book is read by Jim Daly and he is AWESOME!!! I mean, every character has their own distinctive voice throughout the entire serie.

I thought Stephen Fry did the audiobooks for HP :D?

Stephen Fry reads them for the UK versions, while Jim Dale reads them for the US versions.

I have the CD's for all the books read by Stephen Fry, and the man has the most wonderful reading voice, and makes even the worst parts of the books seem great. I have heard excerpts of Jim Dale reading the books, and I'm sorry to disagree with you Katrina, but it was truly awful compared to the magnificent, mellifluous Mr Fry.