Contact - Carl Sagan

Timstar

Just finished reading Contact by Carl Sagan, just wondering if anyone else had?

It is about a message received from space and when decoded it is instructions to build a machine of unknown capabilities.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, it is quite heavy on the physics and astronomy which is certainly not an area of interest to me.

The language he uses throughout is sophisticated yet easy to understand. The characters are fantastic and diverse, all the possibilities and implications of the message and machine are examined at every stage.

I'm going to try and buy his other books as well.

I read this many years ago - have to agree, it's an absolutely fantastic read. I liked how he explains some of the physics without dumbing it down and still manages to fit in a compelling story. Some other "hard" sci-fi writers should take notes!

And the ending is really unexpected!

My husband is a big fan of Carl Sagan (I love the whole 'pale blue dot' speech). I don't think he has read Contact, but I know he loved Cosmos - both the book and the accompanying tv series. I didn't realise he wrote fiction - I'll keep an eye out for Contact :) Thanks for the heads up :)

I read this one several years ago, and I became a fan of Carl Sagan. As far as I know, it's the only fiction he wrote. The movie is brilliant too.

Other books of his that I really enjoyed are Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot. They are a nice, gentle introduction to science and astronomy, and quite easily understandable.

I did enjoy the film, but a lot is different from the novel,even though they are both written by Carl Sagan. But it was filmed after his death so maybe they changed things. William Fichtner is great in it, but with a different take on Ken, and Matthew McConaughey....less so.

• 3 months later...

As an avid reader, amateur astronomer and past SETI@Home participant, I absolutely adore Carl Sagan for a plethora of reason. Loved the book Contact (my copy is love-worn), and the film less so, though still found it enjoyable.