Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

I'm happy to see you read the book and managed til the end. Too bad it wasn't as good as one would hope :( I'm delighted that there is toilet humour in the book :lol: That will make me less intimidated to start reading the book some day :giggle:

It might appeal to you more than it did to me. I'm glad I read it, even if it wasn't quite as good as I'd expected it to be. :)

Wow! That gives hope to the rest of us who don't usually do sci-fi but who wish to read the book or at least feel like they ought to read the book. Thanks for that :smile2:

It's definitely inspired me to read some more of Wells' sci-fi stuff! :)

I have this book on my wishlist, I read willoyd's review on it and felt compelled to add it to the list. Then poppyshake read it too, and now you... I must definitely acquire a copy at some point :) Thanks!

Edit: I believe there's a series of these books, do you think you will venture to read the others?

No probs. :) I have #2 on my Kindle and I've reserved #3 from the library! :D

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book #17 - finished 4 March

017-2012-Mar-04-AwkwardSituationsforMen.jpg

Awkward Situations for Men by Danny Wallace

The ‘blurb’

How do you walk behind a woman you don’t know at night?

What do you do if you’ve said goodbye, but then both walk off in the same direction?

Or if you’re caught cheating on your hairdresser?

Or when you spot someone purposely not taking your call?

Well, if you’re Danny Wallace, you feel all awkward.

Taken from his multi-award-nominated Shortlist column, this is a book that tracks a year in a life of one man’s awkwardness…

I wasn’t entirely sure whether I’d ‘get’ this book – or enjoy it – seeing as I’m not, and never have been a man, but despite not being the target audience I loved it! It’s a series of short commentaries some of which appeared in a magazine called ShortList (never heard of it!) before being published in this book. Written in his usual colloquial style they’re snippets of Danny’s life and the situations he (and doubtless countless other men) inadvertently seems to get himself in at every possible opportunity! Amongst other things I now am an expert in urinal etiquette (not sure this is a skill I’ll ever need!) and I understand that if a man is following me down a road at night he will worry that I think he’s about to attack me, which will make him try to act like he’s not about to attack me, inadvertently making himself appear like he’s about to attack at any second!

There is a sequel which is imaginatively entitled More Awkward Situations for Men, which I shall definitely look out for.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I last posted my Mojo has slowed down somewhat, but I have finished The Evacuee Experience by Michael Roberts (which was a freebie on Kindle - okay, but short and not as good as I'd hoped) and Down Under by Bill Bryson, which has to be my favourite of his so far! :D

• 2 weeks later...

What I came in here to add (so I thought!) was that I found a brand-new copy of The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell by Hilary Spurling today for £1 in the Bookbarn today so I snapped it up! I don't know much about her, apart from the fact that people thought she was a gold-digger, and that after his death, she worked tirelessly to look after his estate, so I'm looking forward to find out more about her. :)

What a find :) I've not read the book, but I immediately thought of poppyshake, I think she really enjoyed it and her review made me add it to my wishlist. I think it'll be interesting to read about a 'woman behind the man', so to speak. Especially when I know Orwell is your favorite :smile2:

005-2012-Jan-23-ARoseforWinter.jpg

A Rose for Winter by Laurie Lee

I don't know anything about this, but didn't Laurie Lee also write Cider with Rosie? Or something like that? It's a title that keeps coming up on the forum, and people have seemed to enjoy that novel. Is it a part of this series? I also have this feeling that Cider with Rosie was on some reading list, quite possibly the Children's classics list, a thread I came across with just some days ago.

Mills and Boon books. They’re the type of book that nobody (well few people) admit to buying, aren’t they?! And yet they sell in their 1000s! I’ve only read one M&B book in my life – and that was only because my son bought it for me from the school fete when he was about 8 because “you like reading, Mummy” – awww!

Awww, what a darling thing to do :smile2:

However, we got chatting on an online forum I use, and what started out as a joke turned into “the Mills & Boon challenge” – we would each pick a different M&B book to read and then report back - and this book was the result! This was free to download onto the Kindle from Amazon – those of us who were quick enough snapped up a freebie, but others had to pay as much as, oooh, £2.12 for their books as they didn’t get in quickly enough! Some poor souls had to get them out of the library, and therefore will have the rest of their lives (or at least, as long as their library keep records for) blighted with this one withdrawal! Needless to say I deleted my browsing history from Amazon and told them not to use this title for recommendations!

:D :D That's as funny as heck :D I mean, each to their own, we have our different tastes, but still, you were part of a Mills & Boon challenge, hehehe! :giggle:

"His mouth covered hers as she sighed into him, parting her lips eagerly, hungrily. She matched his need and as their tongues twisted and danced together, the flames they built erupted into an inferno.”

and

”Oh, you’ve a smooth tongue on you, Jefferson King.” And her knees wobbled even more as she thought of the many uses that smooth tongue of his could be put to.”

Oooh! Think if we were to start doing a book of this sort on the forum! In the quizz & games thread. Like when people used to have a thread where they would write a couple of words and it would become a story. But this time it would be a Mills & Boons story! :D

• 2 weeks later...

What a find :) I've not read the book, but I immediately thought of poppyshake, I think she really enjoyed it and her review made me add it to my wishlist. I think it'll be interesting to read about a 'woman behind the man', so to speak. Especially when I know Orwell is your favorite :smile2:

Yes, I'm looking forward to this one - although I don't suppose I'll get round to it for a while as I have quite a few 'must read' books to get through first! :)

I don't know anything about this, but didn't Laurie Lee also write Cider with Rosie? Or something like that? It's a title that keeps coming up on the forum, and people have seemed to enjoy that novel. Is it a part of this series? I also have this feeling that Cider with Rosie was on some reading list, quite possibly the Children's classics list, a thread I came across with just some days ago.

Yes, Laurie write Cider with Rosie. It's about Laurie's childhood in a tiny village called Slad in Gloucestershire. It's somewhat dated these days but I just loved it!

Awww, what a darling thing to do :smile2:

My 'little' boy (he's 6' 3" - erm, that's about 190.5cms) is still thoughtful at 17. :D

That's as funny as heck :D I mean, each to their own, we have our different tastes, but still, you were part of a Mills & Boon challenge, hehehe! :giggle:

Oooh! Think if we were to start doing a book of this sort on the forum! In the quizz & games thread. Like when people used to have a thread where they would write a couple of words and it would become a story. But this time it would be a Mills & Boons story! :D

I think about 10 of us did the 'challenge' - 9 women and one man who thought he'd join in for a laugh! :lol: LOL @ the thought of a BCF Mills and Boon story!

Yes, I'm looking forward to this one - although I don't suppose I'll get round to it for a while as I have quite a few 'must read' books to get through first! :)

It's funny how that's very often the case with people on here :D

Yes, Laurie write Cider with Rosie. It's about Laurie's childhood in a tiny village called Slad in Gloucestershire. It's somewhat dated these days but I just loved it!

Someone just reviewed another Laurie Lee book on the forum, or maybe it was that I stumbled upon someone's old review yesterday, but anyhow, the name came up again yesterday for me and the book (Cider with Rosie) has now made it's way on my wishlist. I think poppyshake loved it, too, and I found it on the 1001 Books list, so all the more reason to read it at some point! :)

My 'little' boy (he's 6' 3" - erm, that's about 190.5cms) is still thoughtful at 17.

What a tall specimen! Reminds me of my brother who's also some centimeters over 190cm, he has to mind the thresholds if the ceilings are low. I blame his annoying character on him banging his head against them one too many times :giggle:

Back on topic: You and Peter have raised him right :)

I think about 10 of us did the 'challenge' - 9 women and one man who thought he'd join in for a laugh! :lol: LOL @ the thought of a BCF Mills and Boon story!

I admire the one man for doing it, what a good sport :D

I hope you are doing well Janet, it's been a while since I've seen you on here :friends3:

Since I last posted I have finished:

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, which I enjoyed as much as, if not more than, Rivers of London,

Wycliffe and the Guild of Nine by W J Burley - this is the final 'Wycliffe' detective book published before Burley's death - I've now read them all. Sadly he was in the middle of one when he died.

Twopence to Cross the Mersey by Helen Forrester - a million apologies as I forget who, but somebody suggested ages ago that this would be a great book for my book club. It was! of the seven of us, two didn't think much of it and five loved it - and it made for some great discussion.

Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James - I feel like I shouldn't admit to enjoying this book - but I did! Okay, so the writing isn't excellent (I would like to know how many times somebody's mouth 'hitched' during the story, only I fear it would be too many to count - even with the search facility on a Kindle!) but the story is simply compelling! I've just downloaded the second of two sequels - Fifty Shades Darker - to see where it's going next (I suspect I know how the trilogy will end. If you're easily offended by swearing and hot and steamy sex (including bondage and S&M) then this isn't the book for you!

ETA: frankie - it seems I was posting when you were (although I took longer to hit reply!) - I will reply to your post as soon as I've made myself a cup of mint tea. :)

Edited by Janet

It's funny how that's very often the case with people on here

It is - I wonder why?! :giggle2:

Someone just reviewed another Laurie Lee book on the forum, or maybe it was that I stumbled upon someone's old review yesterday, but anyhow, the name came up again yesterday for me and the book (Cider with Rosie) has now made it's way on my wishlist. I think poppyshake loved it, too, and I found it on the 1001 Books list, so all the more reason to read it at some point! :)

I do hope you enjoy it - his prose is beautiful. :)

What a tall specimen! Reminds me of my brother who's also some centimeters over 190cm, he has to mind the thresholds if the ceilings are low. I blame his annoying character on him banging his head against them one too many times :giggle:

Back on topic: You and Peter have raised him right :)

:lol:

Thanks, frankie. :)

I admire the one man for doing it, what a good sport :D

I hope you are doing well Janet, it's been a while since I've seen you on here :friends3:

He is a good sport - he's a nice man and easy to talk to too. :)

I'm good, thanks. I've been so busy in real life. I have a second job (in addition to my main one) working for my vicar, but he retired at the weekend. I'm now trying to do things like the monthly newsletter and all the rotas on my own and I'm finding it quite a lengthy process without his input. I'm hoping it will become second-nature and therefore get easier as time goes on. We won't have a new priest for at least nine months so it's going to be a bit of a bumpy ride, methinks.

Since I last posted I have finished:

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, which I enjoyed as much as, if not more than, Rivers of London,

Well this is very good news indeed :D

Twopence to Cross the Mersey by Helen Forrester - a million apologies as I forget who, but somebody suggested ages ago that this would be a great book for my book club. It was! of the seven of us, two didn't think much of it and five loved it - and it made for some great discussion.

I read it such a long time ago ..as a teenager I think :blush:but I remember loving it then. Thanks for reminding me of it Janet :smile:.

If you're easily offended by swearing and hot and steamy sex (including bondage and S&M) then this isn't the book for you!

What was the title again? :giggle2:

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, which I enjoyed as much as, if not more than, Rivers of London

I remember reading your review and asking you if you thought you'd read other books in the series. Oh I'm so glad you liked that one, too, it should make a great series which I hope to read soon! :smile2:

Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James - I feel like I shouldn't admit to enjoying this book - but I did! Okay, so the writing isn't excellent (I would like to know how many times somebody's mouth 'hitched' during the story, only I fear it would be too many to count - even with the search facility on a Kindle!) but the story is simply compelling!

This book keeps popping up everywhere and there's now even a thread for it on the forum. Good on you to come out and admit that you liked it, I'm not sure everyone would dare to do so :D I'm still undecided.

ETA: frankie - it seems I was posting when you were (although I took longer to hit reply!) - I will reply to your post as soon as I've made myself a cup of mint tea. :)

I know you said nothing beats a good cup of coffee, but I seem to be catching you with a cup of mint tea quite often these days! Hmph!

:D Only kidding!

I'm good, thanks. I've been so busy in real life. I have a second job (in addition to my main one) working for my vicar, but he retired at the weekend. I'm now trying to do things like the monthly newsletter and all the rotas on my own and I'm finding it quite a lengthy process without his input. I'm hoping it will become second-nature and therefore get easier as time goes on. We won't have a new priest for at least nine months so it's going to be a bit of a bumpy ride, methinks.

I'm happy to hear you are well, only busy. Sound like a handful, but I'm sure you will get accustomed to it all soon and can whip up the newsletter with your left hand, one hand holding a recreational novel and sometimes a cup of coffee/mint tea and a biccy :giggle2:

I read it such a long time ago ..as a teenager I think but I remember loving it then. Thanks for reminding me of it Janet :smile:.

What was the title again? :giggle2:

There are three sequels to Twopence to Cross the Mersey - I'm going to try at least the first one.

:giggle: Fifty Shades of Grey. ;) It's really trashy and the writing isn't up to much!

I remember reading your review and asking you if you thought you'd read other books in the series. Oh I'm so glad you liked that one, too, it should make a great series which I hope to read soon!

I do hope you enjoy them. They're not the sort of thing I'd pick up if it hadn't been for Book Club, but I'm so glad I did.

This book keeps popping up everywhere and there's now even a thread for it on the forum. Good on you to come out and admit that you liked it, I'm not sure everyone would dare to do so :D I'm still undecided.

Honestly, I should be ashamed of myself (but I'm not!) - it's not good quality writing and definitely not my 'sort of thing' but I was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about - and now I want to know what's going to happen next! I'm highly unlikely to suddenly decide this is the genre for me! :giggle2:

I know you said nothing beats a good cup of coffee, but I seem to be catching you with a cup of mint tea quite often these days! Hmph!

:D Only kidding!

I hate 'normal' tea disdain1.gif - hot chocolate is far too sweet - ditto Ovaltine/Horlicks (malty type drinks) and much as I adore coffee, and always will, it's nice to have found an alternative. :D

I'm happy to hear you are well, only busy. Sound like a handful, but I'm sure you will get accustomed to it all soon and can whip up the newsletter with your left hand, one hand holding a recreational novel and sometimes a cup of coffee/mint tea and a biccy :giggle2:

I do hope so! I have hit another snag so I'm waiting for a reply to an email before I can complete the newsletter - but it's mostly done now and doesn't have to be photocopied until Friday, so I've a bit of time to play with!

020-2012-Mar-06-TheMysteriousAffairatStyles.jpg

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The ‘blurb’

A mysteriously destroyed will, a shattered coffee cup, a splash of candle-grease, an old envelope, a newly planted bed of begonias…

Such were the seemingly unlinked details surrounding the murder of wealthy Mrs Inglethorp, mistress of Styles Court. Small matters to most, but intriguing enough to feed the curiosity of Monsieur Hercule Poirot as, with the thoroughness which has since become legendary, the methodical little Belgium detective began his first – and perhaps most fascinating – Christie assignment

I downloaded this onto my Kindle from Project Gutenberg free of charge. Set in Essex in WW1, this is Christie’s first published novel – it introduces the famous Belgium detective Hercule Poirot and also features Inspector Japp and Captain Hastings, who narrates the story.

Mrs. Inglethorpe is found early in the morning suffering convulsions and dies from suspected poisoning. She was alone in her room and the doors opening onto her room are all locked from the inside. Suspects include her much younger and universally disliked, second husband and her two step-sons who stand to benefit from her will in the event of her death. Her ward, a nurse and her daughter-in-law and even the doctor are also under suspicion.

Using his ‘little grey cells’ and clues in the form of a fake beard, a crushed cup and the remains of a will found burned in the fireplace, Poirot investigates and despite the seemingly impossible nature of the crime (the famous locked door syndrome) it isn’t long before he has the answer.

I found this rather slow. I’m glad I didn’t start my reading of Christie’s novels with this one as I’m certain I wouldn’t want to read any more had I not already read the far superior The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

#21 - finished March 2012

021-2012-Mar-12-TheWaroftheWorlds.jpg

The War of the Worlds by H G Wells

The ‘blurb’

The night after a shooting star is seen streaking through the sky from Mars, a cylinder is discovered on Horsell Common in London. At first, naïve locals approach the cylinder armed just with a white flag - only to be quickly killed by an all-destroying heat-ray, as terrifying tentacled invaders emerge. Soon the whole of human civilisation is under threat, as powerful Martians build gigantic killing machines, destroy all in their path with black gas and burning rays, and feast on the warm blood of trapped, still-living human prey. The forces of the Earth, however, may prove harder to beat than they at first appear.

I loved War of the Worlds from start to finish! I guess it helped knowing the musical inside out (I love it!) even if there are some differences from the book.

A strange cylinder lands on Horsell Common and hearing noises coming from it people who have gathered to witness the strange spectacle assume a man is trapped inside, but are driven back by the intense heat. What emerges from the cylinder, however, is something strange, terrifying and completely unwelcome – Martians. Further cylinders arrive and it soon becomes apparent that the Martians are intent on taking over earth – using humans as food. As panic ensues, the protagonist heads towards London – hoping to escape his almost certain fate. The narrator is full of despair as it seems that the earth is doomed, but when it seems that nothing can save the planet something completely unexpected happens that could change the situation for the better…

Honestly, I should be ashamed of myself (but I'm not!) - it's not good quality writing and definitely not my 'sort of thing' but I was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about - and now I want to know what's going to happen next! I'm highly unlikely to suddenly decide this is the genre for me! :giggle2:

:D Well I for one am happy that you've 'fessed up' :D It was only some weeks ago when I noticed the title on goodreads, someone on my friends list had added it to their TBR pile. And then I see the title everywhere, and there's now even a thread for it on here. A lot of the people who've posted on it say that they don't expect to read the book and all that. I started to kind of feel sorry for the book, it's like I want to root for the underdog :giggle2: I might give it a sneaky go now that I've witnessed that a sane person like you has enjoyed reading it, hehe!

I hate 'normal' tea disdain1.gif - hot chocolate is far too sweet - ditto Ovaltine/Horlicks (malty type drinks) and much as I adore coffee, and always will, it's nice to have found an alternative.

I hear you :yes: I need to find a cold alternative for the summer if I don't want to sweat like a pig again. I should try and find a good cold coffee recipe somewhere.

020-2012-Mar-06-TheMysteriousAffairatStyles.jpg

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. As great a rep as Agatha has, it can't be helped that some of the books are just far better than other ones. I hope it's not put you off of dear Agatha for good, though!

021-2012-Mar-12-TheWaroftheWorlds.jpg

What? There's a musical?! I had no idea. I'm finding the idea completely baffling. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the novel though, it sounded very intriguing. I don't think I'll be too intimidated now when I will someday pick the book up and read it. Thanks :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Janet, I listened to the radio version of War of the Worlds as an audiobook, and I loved it. :)

I really ought to try some audio books - I just don't seem to think of them. I wonder if I could find a copy of Around the World in 80 Days - I must check Gutenberg. :)

:D Well I for one am happy that you've 'fessed up' :D It was only some weeks ago when I noticed the title on goodreads, someone on my friends list had added it to their TBR pile. And then I see the title everywhere, and there's now even a thread for it on here. A lot of the people who've posted on it say that they don't expect to read the book and all that. I started to kind of feel sorry for the book, it's like I want to root for the underdog :giggle2: I might give it a sneaky go now that I've witnessed that a sane person like you has enjoyed reading it, hehe!

I've read all three now. I must try to put some thoughts down on electronic paper!

I hear you :yes: I need to find a cold alternative for the summer if I don't want to sweat like a pig again. I should try and find a good cold coffee recipe somewhere.

I've tried to like iced coffee, but I just can't get on with the normal stuff. I don't mind the Starbucks frappucino (sp?) (Peter calls it a happy slappy frappy coffee! :lol: )

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. As great a rep as Agatha has, it can't be helped that some of the books are just far better than other ones. I hope it's not put you off of dear Agatha for good, though!

I'm certain I'll read more. I think I was spoiled by the Roger Ackroyd one we did for the reading circle on here - that was *so* good and this just wasn't a patch on it.

What? There's a musical?! I had no idea. I'm finding the idea completely baffling. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the novel though, it sounded very intriguing. I don't think I'll be too intimidated now when I will someday pick the book up and read it. Thanks :smile2:

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - it's awesome! Some of it is different to the book but it's just such fun! It has a great cast too.

Have you ever heard the song 'Forever Autumn' by Justin Hayward? That's from this musical.

022-2012-Mar-22-BitterFruitbyAchmatDangor.jpg

Bitter Fruit by Achmat Dangor

The ‘blurb’

The last time Silas Ali encountered the Lieutenant, Silas was locked in the back of a police van and the Lieutenant was conducting a vicious assault on Lydia, his wife. When Silas sees him again, by chance, twenty years later, crimes from the past erupt into the present, splintering the Ali's fragile family life.

Bitter Fruit is the story of Silas and Lydia, their parents, friends and colleagues, as their lives take off in unexpected directions and relationships fracture under the weight of history. It is also the story of their son Mickey, a student and sexual adventurer, with an enquiring mind and a strong will. An unforgettably fine novel about a brittle family in a dysfunctional society. By turns harrowing, erotic and fearlessly satirical, it is a portrait of modern South Africa that also addresses questions of universal significance.

Apartheid is over and Silas and Lydia have moved out of the township to a suburb of Johannesburg. Silas works as a lawyer for the Department for Justice and his wife Lydia is a nurse. The pair are haunted by a past cruelty towards Lydia and they seem trapped in a loveless marriage, staying together because that’s easier than parting. Living with them is their 18-year-old son Mickey who is studying literature at university. He and his parents have problems communicating with each other.

One day whilst out, Silas recognises a man called François du Boise, an Afrikaner policeman and the man who caused so much misery to Silas and Lydia 20 years ago when he...

Spoilers if unread

raped Lydia whilst Silas was forced to listen. Silas makes the mistake of telling Lydia of the encounter and she reacts by dancing on broken glass, leading to her being hospitalised. Mickey goes off the rails and his parents discover that he has had an affair with two older women – a colleague of Silas’ and with one of his university lecturers. Mickey decides to track down his estranged paternal grandparents, who are Muslim and as he spends increasing amounts of time with them he becomes even more withdrawn from his mother and father. As relationships between the three family members continue to crumble, Silas considers moving to Europe. Meanwhile, Lydia leaves Silas a note, gets into her car and heads off into a new future on her own. She hears on the radio that du Boise has been shot, and at the same time finds out that Mickey has gone on the run. The novel ends with Mickey heading to India where his ancestors came from, and Silas reassuring Lydia that Mickey is not a suspect.

Overall I found this rather an unsatisfactory book. I did not warm to the characters at all, which made it hard to have any empathy with them. Had South Africa not been a country I needed to do for my World Challenge then I wouldn’t have continued with it.

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - it's awesome! Some of it is different to the book but it's just such fun! It has a great cast too.

Have you ever heard the song 'Forever Autumn' by Justin Hayward? That's from this musical.

Great song and great soundtrack. Have you ever been to see the stage version Janet? (I may have asked you this before) .. it looks awesome (and I have the DVD) but I wish I could have seen it with the original cast (impossible now as some are dead of course :()

Book 23 - read March

023-2012-Mar-28-TheTigersWifebyTeaObreht.jpg

The Tiger’s Wife by Téa Obreht

The ‘blurb’

My grandfather never refers to the tiger’s wife by name. His arm is around me and my feet are on the handrail, and my father might say, ‘I once knew a girl who loved tigers so much she almost became one herself.’ Because I am little, and my love of tigers comes directly from him, I believe he is talking about me, offering me a fairy tale in which I can imagine myself – and will, for years and years.

Several stories weave like threads through this – at times - supernatural tale.

The main story involves a young doctor called Natalia, whose beloved Grandfather has recently died. He was ill but had kept his illness hidden from the family and had died miles away from home. Natalia’s Grandmother is suspicious of this, his last trip. Natalia and a colleague head across the border between two unnamed Balkan states in order to give vaccinations at an orphanage about an hour’s drive from the town where her grandfather died. Struggling to understand the death of her grandfather Natalia resolves to travel there to find out more about his death.

During his life, Natalia’s grandfather told two stories – one about a tiger that escaped from a zoo during WW2 and tormented the residents of the small village where he grew up, and the other about a ‘deathless man’ – a man who seemingly was unable to die. For me, these two tales which weave in and out of the main narrative, were more interesting than the main one.

I’m afraid this was another book that left me feeling ultimately dissatisfied. I loved the writing style but the book did not live up to expectations and had it not been for both my Book Club and also my World Challenge I very much doubt I’d have completed it.

Book 24 - read March

024-2012-Mar-30-TheSacredDiaryofAdrianPlassaged37.jpg

The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (age 37¾) by Adrian Plass

The ‘blurb’

Saturday, December 14th. Feel led to keep a diary. A sort of spiritual log for the benefit of others in the future. Each new divine insight and experience will shine like a beacon in the darkness! Can't think of anything to put in today. Still, tomorrow's Sunday. Must be something on a Sunday, surely?

Adrian Plass is hilarious, pure and simple. His readers are legion - and this is the bestselling book that started it all, converting thousands of people who love to laugh into avid Plass readers. "The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass" (aged 37) is merriment and facetiousness at its best - a journal of the wacky Christian life of Plass's fictional alter-ego, who chronicles in his 'sacred' diary the daily goings-on in the lives of ordinary-but-somewhat-eccentric people he knows and meets.

I heard a poem by Adrian Plass and mentioned it in passing to a friend-of-a-friend who loaned me a couple of books by him. This is fiction, but the characters within are based loosely on real people with whom Adrian has come into contact. Written entirely in diary form, this is an amusing account of a ‘normal bloke’ struggling to be a good Christian. Whilst you don’t have to be a believer yourself to find it amusing, I think it probably would strike a chord more with people who go to church (especially Anglicans). It had me chuckling out loud in places and I finished it really quickly. Good stuff! :)

#25 - finished 4 April

025-2012-Apr-02-TheTheatricalTapesofLeonardThynn.jpg

The Theatrical Tapes of Leonard Thynn by Adrian Plass

The ‘blurb’

Yes, good old Leonard Thynn has taken it upon himself to record the extraordinary meetings in which members of his church prepare and plan ten minutes of drama.

Adrian Plass, Sacred Diarist and director of the show, has his hands full as people like Percy Brain, Victoria Flushpool, Vernon Rawlings and other familiar characters claim to know exactly what should be presented and how it should be done.

In the end they settle for a simple little piece about Daniel in the lion’s den. Straightforward? Well, not really. A last minute hitch causes Daniel to appear in circumstances that, to say the least, don’t quite conform to the story as we know it in the scriptures.

Having loved The Sacred Diary… book by the same author I read this one straight afterwards. It centres round a village event taking place where various groups will perform plays in front of an audience at the local village hall. Adrian and some of the characters who appeared in the ‘Diary’ book get together and decide to perform the story of Daniel in the Lion’s den - but a mix up with costumes and a few cast members who don’t quite grasp the full gravitas of their subject-matter mean that the play ends up memorable for all the wrong reasons! It was funny but not as good as the first book I read by this author. I am certain I shall read some more of his stuff though.

Thanks, Paula. :) Peter's out at an opera rehearsal all afternoon, Abi is at a friend's and Luke is upstairs watching The Inbetweeners which has just arrived from Amazon, so I thought I'd have a catch-up as I'm massively behind - again!