Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

So sorry you didn't have a good time in Hay on Wye Janet, when we were there we ate at Oscars which was pretty reasonable compared to some of the other restaurants but i guess it's a bit late telling you that now :smile: Dumbleton looks amazing imagine what it must have been like living there when it was a private residence & having the grounds all to yourself.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to your review of Burmese Days Janet :) Your reduction is going well.

Thanks. :D I'm actually up to date with my reviews for once! I must get round to writing my thoughts about Burmese Days soon! We've been so busy recently that I've hardly had any time to read, let alone write!

Wow what a gorgeous place Dumbledore has :D and what lovely grounds .. just right for a nice brisk Autumny walk.

Oh wow, gorgeous place! :)

Wow, beautiful! Lucky you for staying there! Shame about Hay-on-Wye though. :( Do you think you will go back again one day? Maybe you got the shopkeepers on a bad day (not that that is an excuse).

So sorry you didn't have a good time in Hay on Wye Janet, when we were there we ate at Oscars which was pretty reasonable compared to some of the other restaurants but i guess it's a bit late telling you that now :smile: Dumbleton looks amazing imagine what it must have been like living there when it was a private residence & having the grounds all to yourself.

Dumbleton was just great! We stayed there in March for one night (I probably said that already) and got such a good deal through Late Rooms. I'd go back again, definitely.

I expect we might re-visit Hay-on-Wye sometime. My mood probably wasn't helped by the fact I'm really trying not to purchase any new books, apart from for Book Club or the odd RC on here - I'm doing quite well at it. I imagine it would be better on a hot sunny day (it was very cold, but at least it wasn't raining!). I don't know... I just had such high hopes but the place just didn't feel right. Does that make sense?

It's like a place called Glastonbury near us - lots of people love it, especially people into 'new age' stuff, but it gives me the creeps!

I have managed to read the first chapter of The Art of Racing in the Rain. I certainly won't have finished it for the start of November's RC, but hopefully I will have by the end! Peter and I are away this weekend. We're staying in Uxbridge as his choir are singing as part of a massed choir charity concert in the Albert Hall on Saturday night. I can't wait as I've never been there before. He's rehearsing all day on Saturday so I'm taking myself off into London for the day and meeting up with some friends - I can't wait, and I should have some reading opportunities on the coach up and the back and the train into London! :D

I have managed to read the first chapter of The Art of Racing in the Rain. I certainly won't have finished it for the start of November's RC, but hopefully I will have by the end!

Lord .. you've just reminded me .. it's tomorrow isn't it?. Must put the thread up.

Hope you have a brilliant time at the Albert Hall .. I went once and it's magnificent.

Hope you have a brilliant time at the Albert Hall .. I went once and it's magnificent.

Thanks, Kay - it was wonderful. :wub:

Great looking place Janet. Love the autumn colours.

Thanks. :)

I was in Uxbridge on Thursday :) We visited the War Rooms and i really enjoyed the experience! I also thought Uxbridge was quite a nice place. :D

I didn't know about the War Rooms. We didn't actually go into Uxbridge - we ran out of time. :)

I wish you much luck with this and hope your willpower is far stronger than mine! Here's a hug for encouragement. :friends3:

Thanks. :) I'm feeling really positive about it - I'm determined not to buy any more new books this year!

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein for this month's RC on Saturday and am currently reading At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper on my Kindle.

Thanks. :) I'm feeling really positive about it - I'm determined not to buy any more new books this year!

and am currently reading At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper on my Kindle.

I found this a quick and very enjoyable read. If you find it the same, I recommend following up straight away with the sequel, Petals in the Ashes, which carries on only hours after At the Sign of... finishes.

Finished Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (thank goodness!).

To read reduction - 15/85 - 07.11.12 - 70 remaining

heh-heh .. some challenges are arduous aren't they Janet? .. well done though, you're doing great .. marvellous in fact considering your woolly head.

Project "reduce 'to read' pile":

-1 - Book abandoned - Mrs Pargeter's Point of Honour by Simon Brett - 08.11.12 - 69 remaining

+1 - December RC book (from library) - The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen - 09.11.12 = 70 remaining

I also got A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness out of the library, but this doesn't count as I already own the book - I just don't want to read my own copy! :blush:

Project "reduce 'to read' pile":

+1 - December RC book (from library) - The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen - 09.11.12 = 70 remaining

Such a lovely book, such a gorgeous cover .. I felt no guilt at buying it (or only the teensiest bit) .. when I saw it I knew I had to have it. Bonus was I loved the story so I hope you do too Janet. Perfect wintry read.

I also got A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness out of the library, but this doesn't count as I already own the book - I just don't want to read my own copy! :blush:

Haha .. you don't want to ruin your copy by bending it .. quite right :D Have you got the illustrated YA copy Janet or the one that's for adults? Brilliant book, you will LOVE it .. I'm almost positive.

Such a lovely book, such a gorgeous cover .. I felt no guilt at buying it (or only the teensiest bit) .. when I saw it I knew I had to have it. Bonus was I loved the story so I hope you do too Janet. Perfect wintry read.

I might end up buying it if I enjoy it (I was attracted to the cover when I saw it in Waterstone's back in August) - but it won't count if I've read it! :giggle2:

Haha .. you don't want to ruin your copy by bending it .. quite right :D Have you got the illustrated YA copy Janet or the one that's for adults? Brilliant book, you will LOVE it .. I'm almost positive.

I do have the gorgeous illustrated copy - that's why I don't want to read my own! :giggle:

I'm spoilt for choice - I don't know which one of them to read first!

Oh it is! :) I had high hopes for it, but at the same time I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't live up to expectations. It's a definite re-read one! :)

To read reduction 16/85 - 11.11.12 - 69 remaining

ETA: I somehow managed to muck up my figures - I have more books remaining than I thought! :roll:

To read reduction 16 finished - 11.11.12 - 72 remaining

Edited by Janet

Awww Janet .. huggles :empathy: I'm glad you enjoyed it but sorry it upset you :friends0: I remember finishing it one morning and having to go shopping soon afterwards and everyone throwing me sympathetic looks and Alan daggers (very odd because it's normally the other way around :D)

It's a beautiful book and so emotional.

Awww Janet .. huggles :empathy:

Thanks. :)

I remember finishing it one morning and having to go shopping soon afterwards and everyone throwing me sympathetic looks and Alan daggers (very odd because it's normally the other way around :D)

:lol: Aww, I can't believe that!

It's the second time recently a book has made me cry... and that doesn't happen all that often! At least this time I was at home on my own so there was nobody to witness it - I was on the London Underground last time! I cried twice at this, and I'd already cried twice whilst watching Goodnight Mr Tom in the afternoon, so yesterday was a rather emotional day!

Mind you, you are looking at someone who cries at the stupidest things! :blush:

It's the second time recently a book has made me cry... and that doesn't happen all that often! At least this time I was at home on my own so there was nobody to witness it - I was on the London Underground last time! I cried twice at this, and I'd already cried twice whilst watching Goodnight Mr Tom in the afternoon, so yesterday was a rather emotional day!

Mind you, you are looking at someone who cries at the stupidest things! :blush:

Goodnight Mr Tom made me cry as well Janet. Seeing other people crying often makes me well up in sympathy but i don't like to cry in front of anyone else so if i read A Monster Calls i'd have to save it till i was on my own :blush2:

Aww, you'd definitely better read this when there is nobody else around then!

My family take the mickey out of me something awful, but I just can't help myself! I've always been an emotional so-and-so, but it's definitely become worse since I had children! :giggle2:

ETA It wasn't even the first time I'd watched 'Mr Tom' - I've seen it dozens of times! I've watched the Railway Children about 142,593,593,002 times and I still cry at Daddy! My Daddy! :wibbly:

Edited by Janet