Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may have to put this on my wish list, I have At the Sign of the Sugared Plum on my TBR she'll so I'll see how I get along with that first, thanks for the great review Janet :)

Michelle has said she doesn't want the book back so I'd be more than happy to pass it on to you if you'd like it. :)

62-2012-Oct-04-AMomentofWar.jpg

A Moment of War by Laurie Lee

The ‘blurb’

It was December 1937 when the young Laurie Lee crossed the Pyrenees and walked into the bitter winter of the Spanish Civil War. With great vividness and poignancy, A Moment of War portrays the brave defeat of youthful idealism in Auden’s ‘low dishonest decade’.

This is the third and final part of Lee’s autobiography (after Cider With Rosie and As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning). There is some debate as to how authentic Lee’s account is in this book, and he himself stated that his diaries had been stolen and he therefore had to rely on his memory, but authentic or not it’s still worth a read.

Unable to get into Spain by legitimate means, Laurie Lee sets off across the Pyrenees in the winter of 1937 in order to take part on the Spanish Civil War on the side of the Republicans. He is immediately arrested under suspicion of being a spy but is eventually released to join the International Brigades in their fight against General Franco.

Despite the title, this book isn’t about fighting but more the life of the soldiers, surviving in poor circumstances with barely a gun between them. For me it wasn’t quite as good as the first two books, although that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it – it’s just that it doesn’t have quite the same charm - it is still written in Lee’s poetic-like prose and that makes it thoroughly readable.

(Finished 04 October 2011)

63-2012-Oct-06-MyDearIWantedtoTellYou.jpg

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

The ‘blurb’

MyDearsmallphoto2.jpg

A letter, two lovers, a terrible lie. In war, truth is only the first casualty.

My October Book Club read. This book is compared to Birdsong on the cover (“Birdsong for the new millennium” – Tatler) but I think that’s an unfair comparison as this is much lighter in tone. That’s not to say that some of the medical descriptions didn’t have me grimacing!

Although he’s from a working-class background, circumstances see a young man called Riley taken under the wing of eminent painter ‘Sir Alfred’ who provides Riley with an education. Riley is in love with a young woman called Nadine, but even though her parents like Riley they don’t believe he’s ‘suitable’. Life changes when World War One is declared and after an encounter with a young man, a shaken Riley signs up on the spur of the moment and is sent to Belgium. He makes an impression and soon rises through the ranks, being befriended by his commanding officer Captain Peter Locke.

As war rages, Nadine, Locke’s wife, Julia and his cousin Rose must try to carry on as normal back in England. Julia finds it difficult to find a purpose but Rose and Nadine throw themselves into nursing with the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) until eventually the five lives converge as the war takes its toll on both men.

This book is a funny one to categorise. Essentially it feels like a love story, but there is more to it than that.

As the ‘blurb’ implies, Riley is injured. But his injuries are far worse than he leads Nadine to believe in his letter. He is returned to England to have reconstructive surgery - by pioneering plastic surgeon Harold Gillies - on his jaw, which has been extensively damaged. At first he is full of despair, but gradually he comes to accept his situation and forms a kind of friendship with his nurse. He and Locke have to deal with the aftermath of the war and both, understandably, struggle to do so.

The characters in this book are based on real people, although the story is fiction. Dr Harold Gillies was considered the father of modern plastic surgery and the medical details are accurate – what he did in terms of reconstruction is remarkable… and also shocking reading (especially for someone squeamish!). I probably wouldn’t have picked up this book if it wasn’t a Book Club one, but I’m glad I did – it was very enjoyable and I read it quickly. I’d give this one 4 stars. :)

Great review of My Dear I Wanted To Tell You Janet :) I enjoyed it very much though you wouldn't have thought so for the amount of sobbing I did. It's always a sign that the characters have leapt off the page and become real. Like you I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

• 2 weeks later...

64-2012-Oct-18-TheTalesofBeedletheBard.jpg

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J K Rowling

The ‘blurb’

The Tales of Beedle the Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril.

Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts.

I pre-ordered this book back in 2008, but when I got it home I didn’t really fancy it (not sure why!) and kept passing it over in favour of something else to read. However, with all the talk of Rowling’s latest book The Casual Vacancy I finally took if down from the shelf to read it.

It contains five ‘fairy tales’ by the fictional fifteenth century titular author. The tales are familiar to Ron, but Hermione and Harry, having been brought up in the Muggle world, are unfamiliar with it.

The five stories are all great! The first tells of a cynical son who is taught a lesson by his dead father, the second is a tale of four people in a competition where only one can achieve their ultimate dream. The third is a darker fairy story about a man who vows never to fall in love and the disastrous consequences when he decides to marry (this is the darkest of the five tales) the fourth is about the dangers of claiming powers you don’t have and the final story is about three brothers who challenge death.

My favourite of these stories were the fifth and the second, although I enjoyed them all. The tales come with footnotes by Albus Dumbledore. These were interesting enough but not as fun as the tales, although it would have been a short book without them!

Those of you familiar with the story of Harry Potter will know the tale of The Three Brothers from the Deathly Hallows.

Very enjoyable – I should have picked it up ages ago!

I bought The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, taking my 'to read' pile back up to 75 (it was 85) - but it's for Book Club so it's allowed! :D

I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Red Tent Janet, a friend of mine raved about it so I read it and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It's definitely a good book club read though, lots to discuss!! :)

I bought A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness on Saturday! I got the beautiful illustrated copy (I don't know if there is an unbeautiful, unillustrated version!!). So many people on here, including Michelle and Kay, have recommended it to me.

Ah well, back on the bandwagon!

There's no shame in being on a bandwagon, if you choose to go with the bandwagon full of people who only read the good books :giggle: I've only heard great things about this title on here, it's already gone on my wishlist :)

That's exactly the same book that I bought to break my no buying rule! I got mine from Mr B's, as I feel it's my duty to buy at least one book whenever I visit them, as they are such a gem of a bookshop. :smile2: I felt no guilt either! :giggle2:

:D Well you had two rules, 'no buying rule' and 'always buy a book from Mr B's' rule, so something had to give :giggle:

I went over to see my Mum today and she'd bought me The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey because she found it in the Lion's Charity Book Shop for 50p and knew I wanted to read it. My current 'to read' pile now stands at 80!

The Snow Child is another book I've only heard great things about... I hope you like it! And it was so not your fault, it's your Mum's! :giggle.

Oh, what a beautiful copy! There are too many to choose from! :D I wish they'd make only one beautiful, and all the others could be ugly. One wouldn't have such a hard time choosing an edition...

Hehe, I think this is the first time I've actually seen you refer to your TBR pile in numbers. If I remember correctly, you've been rather secretive about it before? Or you have felt like you haven't wanted to count the books, as you used to have much less....

I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Red Tent Janet, a friend of mine raved about it so I read it and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It's definitely a good book club read though, lots to discuss!! :)

The girl whose choice it was has already read it (several times!) and loves it. I can't say it's something I would have picked up if it wasn't for Book Club, so we'll see! :)

There's no shame in being on a bandwagon, if you choose to go with the bandwagon full of people who only read the good books :giggle: I've only heard great things about this title on here, it's already gone on my wishlist :)

I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I don't want to read my own copy as I don't want to damage it! :giggle2:

The Snow Child is another book I've only heard great things about... I hope you like it! And it was so not your fault, it's your Mum's! :giggle.

I am really looking forward to it. I think I'm going to wait until nearer to Christmas though.

Oh, what a beautiful copy! There are too many to choose from! :D I wish they'd make only one beautiful, and all the others could be ugly. One wouldn't have such a hard time choosing an edition...

It's lovely, isn't it! Not only that, but it's printed on such gorgeous quality thick paper. I love it! :D

Hehe, I think this is the first time I've actually seen you refer to your TBR pile in numbers. If I remember correctly, you've been rather secretive about it before? Or you have felt like you haven't wanted to count the books, as you used to have much less....

I haven't been intentionally secret! I only counted up all my books a few weeks ago (we're decorating - they were scattered all over the house so it's the first time they've been gathered all together) - I had no idea just how many I had! :giggle:

I've mentioned it a few times in here (after one or two reviews) but I keep forgetting to post it!

It's odd - so many books on the pile and yet I look at them and don't fancy any of the titles to read!

I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I don't want to read my own copy as I don't want to damage it! :giggle2:

Oh dear! :D So how long does it take for you to get a copy you can actually read? :D

I am really looking forward to it. I think I'm going to wait until nearer to Christmas though.

Ah yes, the atmosphere, the atmosphere. Good thinking :cool:

It's lovely, isn't it! Not only that, but it's printed on such gorgeous quality thick paper. I love it! :D

We are rather particular about our copies and the paper and the spacing, and the font, aren't we? :D It's funny, though, how your copy looks like it's been written in the seventies. Kind of vintage-y, and definitely in a prettyful way!

I haven't been intentionally secret! I only counted up all my books a few weeks ago (we're decorating - they were scattered all over the house so it's the first time they've been gathered all together) - I had no idea just how many I had!

It's always the case, isn't it, that we have more books than we could have ever imagined. How comforting and relieving it would be to have it the other way... *sigh*

I've mentioned it a few times in here (after one or two reviews) but I keep forgetting to post it!

I think I've missed those particular posts, then! Shame on me :giggle:

It's odd - so many books on the pile and yet I look at them and don't fancy any of the titles to read!

:o But surely that cannot be? You've bought them at some point, you've therefore wanted to read them at some point, and it cannot be that you've somehow started disliking the idea of the whole lot of them? Oh, poor books! I bet it's just a Friday funk, you'll find yourself caressing all the blessed books tomorrow morning, sniffing them, (licking them?), and saying how sorry you are for being so harsh the other night. :giggle:

Oh dear! :D So how long does it take for you to get a copy you can actually read? :D

Hmm - I'm not sure! I will check out the library and see if I can borrow it from there!

We are rather particular about our copies and the paper and the spacing, and the font, aren't we? :D It's funny, though, how your copy looks like it's been written in the seventies. Kind of vintage-y, and definitely in a prettyful way!

I do like my cover too - it *is* prettyful! :giggle2:

It's always the case, isn't it, that we have more books than we could have ever imagined. How comforting and relieving it would be to have it the other way... *sigh*

We've just bought some new bookcases (they're not up yet, and won't be for a few weeks) - Peter actually said to me I might need to buy more books so they don't look empty! I told him not to tempt me :giggle:

:o But surely that cannot be? You've bought them at some point, you've therefore wanted to read them at some point, and it cannot be that you've somehow started disliking the idea of the whole lot of them? Oh, poor books! I bet it's just a Friday funk, you'll find yourself caressing all the blessed books tomorrow morning, sniffing them, (licking them?), and saying how sorry you are for being so harsh the other night. :giggle:

Awww, it's not that I dislike them - I just don't always find anything I fancy, even with no shortage of unread books! I know this to be the case because when I decide to get mercenary and thin out my books it just doesn't happen - I can never find any to part with!

Love your review of Beedle the Bard Janet .. I remember reading them one Christmas and it was magical. I liked what they did with The Three Brothers in the film too :)

Thanks, Kay. I really don't know why I put it off for so long! :)

I went to Hay-on-Wye today. I was terribly disappointed with it. Over-priced books and surly shop-keepers. We stopped for the most disgusting coffee ever. I wish I'd never gone and kept it as a fantasy. :(

The only thing I liked was this...

DSCF2645.jpg

(Even though I have a Kindle!)

I went to Hay-on-Wye today. I was terribly disappointed with it. Over-priced books and surly shop-keepers. We stopped for the most disgusting coffee ever. I wish I'd never gone and kept it as a fantasy. :(

Oh what a shame Janet :friends0:

I know loads of people who love it so I guess it's just me! It was a shame though.

Whilst away we stayed at a hotel called the Dumbleton (note to self - if you keep referring to it as Dumbledore you're going to say it someone one day!) Hall Hotel just outside Evesham, and I thought of you, Kay - it said on the history of the place that the Mitford sisters had been regular visitors there when it was a private house and I know you like them. :)

It's an absolutely gorgeous place.

DSCF2641.jpg

DSCF2638.jpg

DSCF2628.jpg