Janet's Reading 2012

Janet

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with trying not to buy to many books this year, it seems that that is a popular resolution running through the forum this year :)

It almost deserves it's own thread! :smile:

It does seem to be a popular resolution. Perhaps we should have a thread! Mind you, I'm not doing very well - I've already bought two books! One didn't cost me anything and the other was for the Reading Circle on here, so they don't count! :giggle2:

It does seem to be a popular resolution. Perhaps we should have a thread! Mind you, I'm not doing very well - I've already bought two books! One didn't cost me anything and the other was for the Reading Circle on here, so they don't count! :giggle2:

I know, I've added 9 to my list this week, but they were all from gift cards/money. It's an addiction, I get a great buzz choosing and buying them, then later I feel guilty and have a sense of despair that I'll never read them all!

I really must set up another book swap thread!! :smile:

:giggle2:That's true of cheese in my case. I can resist chocolate, but not that! (Or crisps!).

I have a weakness for cheese too, and crisps and peanuts ... but not cabbage surprisingly :lol:

I've just realised that I haven't yet listed the ones I bought back from my mother-in-law's house. There aren't as many as I thought, but I ought to add them to the list.

Well that makes me feel a little bit better :)

I know - I couldn't believe my luck! I just had to buy the Orwell. I've been 'saving' this one, so I might not read it for a while, but I needed it. It wasn't a want - it was a need - so it doesn't count in my 'not buying books' resolution! :P

Ha brilliant!.. I'm going to use that excuse as often as possible this year.

I bought Twopence to Cross the Mersey as a potential 'real life' book club choice... but now I'm thinking of the Pigeon English one that (I think) you recommended. Decisions, decisions!

How 'real life' does the choice have to be because Pigeon English is fiction and only loosely based on real life events? .. whereas I know Twopence is auto-biographical.

Incidentally, you mentioned ages ago wanting When God was a Rabbit, but being good and not buying it, but I've a feeling you have read it? If not, let me know and I'll send you mine as I won't re-read it.

Yes I read it last month (and you will have noticed that there's no review for it yet :() Thank you for thinking of me though :friends0: If you want to send me your review it would be most useful, I'll post it up as my own :D Actually I've just looked back at my past blog and I didn't list it! which means I'm actually further behind with my reviews then I thought .. I counted them up yesterday and now I've got to add one more but thanks for the reminder Janet, I hate my lists to be inaccurate.

It's a good idea to have a thread devoted to 'not buying books in 2012' though I'd definitely be bringing up the rear in the league table :D I don't know what the forfeits would be but I'm guessing they wouldn't be cheese or chocolate based :lol:

I have a weakness for cheese too, and crisps and peanuts ... but not cabbage surprisingly :lol:

I love cabbage, but I wouldn't say it was a weakness! :giggle2:

How 'real life' does the choice have to be because Pigeon English is fiction and only loosely based on real life events? .. whereas I know Twopence is auto-biographical.

:blush: I'm a dozy mare at times - I meant 'real life' as on not for an online reading circle but something I do offline. So no, the books can be anything at all, but we've only done about 3 non-fiction and we've just started our 6th year so I thought it was about time. Plus I have Twopence... on my pile already so I wouldn't have to buy it. I think I might wait and get Pigeon English from the library - or maybe choose it next time. :)

Yes I read it last month (and you will have noticed that there's no review for it yet :() Thank you for thinking of me though. If you want to send me your review it would be most useful, I'll post it up as my own :D Actually I've just looked back at my past blog and I didn't list it! which means I'm actually further behind with my reviews then I thought .. I counted them up yesterday and now I've got to add one more but thanks for the reminder Janet, I hate my lists to be inaccurate.

You'd be welcome to my review but it wasn't a good one! :lol: I found the book a bit... meh. I adored the first half but I felt the second half was a let-down. I always know when I haven't really enjoyed a book when I struggle to think what to say about it!

It's a good idea to have a thread devoted to 'not buying books in 2012' though I'd definitely be bringing up the rear in the league table :D I don't know what the forfeits would be but I'm guessing they wouldn't be cheese or chocolate based :lol:

LOL - Chocolate or cheese forfeits would definitely not work! Having to eat jellied eels might (for me, anyway - maybe they're your fifth favourite foodstuff?! :P ).

Happy New Year Janet, sorry to butt in, but I have been curious about this quote for a long time:

I never loved you. You are crazy. Here is your hair!

For a whole year it has conjured up all sorts of crazy pictures in my mind. What book is it from?

Happy new year to you too. :)

I haven't read it yet, so I'm not really sure what it relates to, but a friend used that phrase to sum up a relationship in a Jane Austen book (I think it was Sense and Sensibility?) and it just amused me! :)

Two Kindle books 'purchased' so far in 2012:

A Dog Named Slugger by Leigh Brill and The Golden Acorn: The Adventures of Jack Brenin by Catherine Cooper - both of which were free. The first was recommended by a friend, the second just had a nice cover on Amazon! :lol:

I downloaded The Golden Acorn too - you're right: the cover is lovely! I don't have an actual Kindle, I just have a PC one, but if I can easily download free books, complete with pictures, and endorsed by lots of amazon reviewers, I'm not complaining! I'll be keeping an eye out for any other Kindle freebies you discover ;)

Freebies ftw, Noll! :)

Michelle very kindly sent me her copy of Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper after I mentioned having it on my Amazon wish list. I see that I have another of hers on my wish list too, so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

I'm really struggling with my current read and would have given up if it wasn't for Book Club (tomorrow night! :o ). I have six short stories in it left (about 70 pages) but I'm reading just one (or two at a push) of the stories at a time as it's just not doing it for me. I can't wait to get to the end of it!

I think there is a sequel to this (or one planned)? :)

I just downloaded another freebie - Resting In the Bosom Of the Lamb by Augusta Trobaugh. It sounds a little like The Help by Katherine Stockett which I thoroughly enjoyed last year. No UK reviews but it has three 5* reviews on Amazon US. :)

I finished my first book of 2012 this morning - and my first Kindle book!

Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens

What a great book! This is (apparently) on of the top 10 fastest selling Kindle books ever - and it's easy to see why. It's only available in Kindle format at the moment, but maybe its sudden popularity will mean it gets a paper run too?

Proper review to follow - hopefully before too long as I've resolved to try to keep up to date with writing them in 2012! :giggle2:

Might have to get this for the Kindle. I'm absolutely fascinated by the subject! Thank you for the heads up :)

Might have to get this for the Kindle. I'm absolutely fascinated by the subject! Thank you for the heads up :)

You definitely should, specially as it's a freebie! I've started reading it and I'm finding it quite fascinating so far. :)

You definitely should, specially as it's a freebie! I've started reading it and I'm finding it quite fascinating so far. :)

A couple of people on another forum downloaded it after I mentioned reading it and they've all enjoyed it too. Great stuff. :)

Haha - I'm not sure about that, Noll! I've downloaded quite a few but I've only read one so far! :giggle2:

This afternoon I finished High Spirits - A Collection of Ghost Stories by Robertson Davies - possibly the dullest book I have ever read! :sleeping-smiley-009

ETA: Although on reflection, and having been to Book Club and discussed the stories, I find that there were some I enjoyed. I think that it's just it took me quite some time to read it for what is a short book! Some were quite clever and the author was obviously very interested in history. Still, I don't think I'll be reading anything else by this author!

Edited by Janet

I acquired book #4 of 2012 today! Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch - for my Book Club for February.

I loved this when I read it last year now I am waiting for the 3rd part to come out this year...enjoy! :smile:

I have downloaded Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift to my Kindle - I'm going to try to read it before I read Mistress Masham's Repose by T H White.

Will be interested to see how you get on with this Janet - it's always one I nearly pick up but always seem to go past when chosing my next read.

I loved this when I read it last year now I am waiting for the 3rd part to come out this year...enjoy! :smile:

Thank you. :) The member whose turn it was to pick this has already read it and the first sequel and was raving about them. On a purely shallow note, the cover is gorgeous! The book sounds great too so I'm looking forward to it.

Will be interested to see how you get on with this Janet - it's always one I nearly pick up but always seem to go past when chosing my next read.

My Kindle tells me that I'm on 11% of it. Believe it or not I don't actually know the story at all (apart from the fact

that

I have seen images of Gulliver tied up and I know about the Lilliputians)

so I don't know what to expect, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far. :)