~Weave's world of books log 2012~

Weave

Judgement of Souls by Margarita Felices ~ Started: 04.08.12 ~ Finished: 10.08.12

Title of book: Judgement of Souls

Name of Author: Margarita Felices

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B006QFPHJC

JOS.jpg

Synopsis ~

JUDGEMENT OF SOULS is a Gothic horror in which a naïve pure-blood Vampire is tossed into the mortal world. Rachel meets Daniel, a nightclub owner and his group of friends and after Daniel’s best friend is murdered by Max, becomes embroiled in the search. Rachel tries to fight off her feelings for Daniel, even siding with her Vampire friend Arun to think again about Daniel’s involvement, but he’s her love and she’s going to protect him, no matter what.

What I thought of ‘Judgement of Souls’ ~

I really enjoyed this gothic tale with a twist, the story was well written and the characters were great to read. I loved the idea of Rachel’s history and her past and the possibility of a future with Daniel, it was lovely to read.

Plenty of excitement to keep you going, all in all a great read.

Rating: 4/5

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Haunting of Esther Cox by William Meikle ~ Started: 30.08.12 ~ Finished: 30.08.12

Title of book: The Haunting of Esther Cox

Name of Author: William Meikle

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B003ZHVE7S

esthercox.jpg

Synopsis ~

Between 1878 and 1879 the small town of Amherst in Nova Scotia sees of one of the strangest cases of poltergeist activity in history.

A local girl, Esther Cox becomes the focus of night terrors, rappings, unexplained fires and more.

What is the cause of this outbreak of psychic disturbances? No one knows. But Esther has a secret. And that secret might just destroy her.

What I thought of ‘The Haunting of Esther Cox’ ~

‘The Haunting of Esther Cox’ was a great find for me and the first book I have read by William Meikle and it’s a gem of a story, I enjoyed the story of Esther and what she experiences and liked Esther’s secret.

Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist ~ Started: 30.08.12 ~ Finished: 07.09.12

Title of book: Let the Old Dreams Die

Name of Author: John Ajvide Lindqvist

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B0089XJU06

lettheold.jpg

Synopsis ~

Whatever happened to Oskar and Eli? And what became of the beleaguered families in Handling the Undead? Find out in Let the Old Dreams Die. In other tales from this collection, a woman finds a dead body and decides to keep it for herself, a customs officer has a mysterious gift which enables him to see what others hide, and a man believes he knows how to deceive death. These are the stories of John Ajvide Lindqvist's rich imagination. They are about love and death and what we do when the two collide and the monsters emerge.

What I thought of ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’ ~

I am a massive fan of John Ajvide Lindqvist, I have loved all of his books so far and I cannot wait for his next one to be released. ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’ is a collection of stories which are surreal, complex, dark and as always, gives you an insight into the human psyche, where ordinary people experience the extraordinary.

I was particularly looking forward to the stories ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’, where you find out what happened to Oskar and Eli from ‘Let The Right One In’ alongside a story of great love and ‘The Final Processing’, which continues the story of ‘Handling The Undead’, I enjoyed ‘The Final Processing’ more than ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’ , it was more focused on the characters from the original story which I enjoyed, I wanted to know what had happened to Flora, Elvy and Hagar and the ‘reliving’.

All of the stories are individual and interesting, all of the characters are easy to relate to, which made the book even more of a pleasure to read.

An excellent book written by an amazing writer.

Rating: 5/5

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Yakutsk Tsutsui ~ Started: 08.09.12 ~ Finished: 09.09.12

Title of book: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Name of Author: Yasutaka Tsutsui

Paperback

Number of pages: 200

ISBN~10: 184688134X

ISBN~13: 978-1846881343

leapt.jpg

Synopsis ~

The Girl Who Leapt Through The Time is the story of fifteen year old schoolgirl Kazuko, who accidentally discovers that she can leap back and forth in time. In her quest to uncover the identity of the mysterious figure that she believes to be responsible for her paranormal abilities, she’ll have to push the boundaries of space and time, and challenges the notions of dream and reality.

What I thought of ‘The Girl Who Leapt Through The Time’ ~

This is the first book I have read by Yasutaka Tsutsui and I enjoyed it, the story flowed nicely and the characters were well written. The first story ‘The Girl Who Leapt Through The Time’ tells the story of fifteen year old Kazuko who after an accident in her school laboratory discovers she can leapt back and forth in time, Kazuko is unnerved by this and is determined to find out what has happened to her, which leads to a discovery she does not expect. The second story ‘The Stuff That Nightmares Are Made Of’ tells the story of Masako who decides to confront her fears and her younger brother’s by using her intelligence.

I enjoyed the second story more than I did the first one, I liked Masako and her approach to facing her fears which at times was funny, I loved her insights too and her relationship with her brother, Yoshio, which was a typical volatile relationship between siblings but was also very sweet because they clearly cared about each other.

I have another two books by Yasutaka Tsutsui waiting to be read and I am looking forward to reading them (I have started ‘Paprika’). The only downside to ‘The Girl Who Leapt Through Time’ was that it was too short, other than that, it was a pleasant read.

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Weave

• 3 weeks later...

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt ~ Started: 09.09.12 ~ Finished: 25.09.12

Title of book: The Sisters Brothers

Name of Author: Patrick deWitt

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B005DI9E8S

sb.jpg

Synopsis ~

Hermann Kermit Warm is going to die. The enigmatic and powerful man known only as the Commodore has ordered it, and his henchmen, Eli and Charlie Sisters, will make sure of it. Though Eli doesn't share his brother's appetite for whiskey and killing, he's never known anything else. But their prey isn't an easy mark, and on the road from Oregon City to Warm's gold-mining claim outside Sacramento, Eli begins to question what he does for a living-and whom he does it for.

With "The Sisters Brothers," Patrick deWitt pays homage to the classic Western, transforming it into an unforgettable comic tour de force. Filled with a remarkable cast of characters-losers, cheaters, and ne'er-do-wells from all stripes of life-and told by a complex and compelling narrator, it is a violent, lustful odyssey through the underworld of the 1850s frontier that beautifully captures the humor, melancholy, and grit of the Old West and two brothers bound by blood, violence, and love.

What I thought of ‘The Sisters Brothers’ ~

I enjoyed ‘The Sisters Brothers’ immensely, the story was engrossing and the characters of Charlie and Eli were written well. I loved the whole feel of the book, the description of the various places that the brothers go to, the people they meet.

The relationship between the brothers is shown well too, both of them have their flaws and know their place in the world but this changes for Eli as the story progressed, which I was pleased to see because despite Charlie’s personality, Eli was the stronger of the two of them in more ways than one.

A great read, highly recommended.

The House in the Attic by Helen Cardwell ~ Started: 26.09.12 ~ Finished: 26.09.12

Title of book: The House in the Attic

Name of Author: Helen Cardwell

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B008BGBMWA

house.jpg

Synopsis ~

It was the latest in a long line of misfortunes where Elinor was concerned. Her parents and adoptive family were both dead, and now, along with her aunt and young cousin, she was being forced to move to the isolated village of Mournsby.

To her way of thinking, it could get no worse. Her life was over. But did it ever really begin? Mournsby is far from being the quiet hamlet it presents itself to be.

What are the strange lights in the supposedly abandoned graveyard? Who is the mysterious figure that flits about the streets at night? And why are all the residents subject to bouts of complete memory loss?

With her two friends, Elinor must piece together the murderous history of the village and also confront her own deadly secret. But can she do so before the Mournsby Curse claims another victim?

What I thought of ‘The House in the Attic’ ~

‘The House in the Attic’ is a book I like to call a hidden gem, I found it by accident and enjoyed it from start to finish. The story is a good old fashioned supernatural tale of Elinor, a young girl with a tragic past who much to her horror has been moved to the village of Mournsby, a quiet village where everyone seems to suffer from memory loss. Elinor finds her destiny in Mournsby and it’s a destiny she does not want but has to face.

‘The House in the Attic’ is a fantastic read which kept me engrossed to the very end. I recommend it highly.

Vic and Blood by Harlan Ellison ~ Started: 25.09.12 ~ Finished: 25.09.12

Title of book: Vic and Blood

Name of Author: Harlan Ellison

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B0079SNP1M

vic.jpg

Synopsis ~

Hugo and Nebula Winner Harlan Ellison's classic post-apocalyptic saga of Vic, a Boy, and his dog, Blood, and the telepathic union that binds them together in a struggle for survival. The cycle begins with 'Eggsucker', which chronicles the early years of the association between fourteen-year-old loner Vic and his brilliant, telepathic dog, Blood. The saga continues and expands in 'A Boy and His Dog', in which Blood shows just how much smarter he is than Vic, and Vic shows how loyal he can be. The story continues in 'Run, Spot, Run', the first part of Ellison's promised novel of the cycle, BLOOD'S A ROVER. Here Vic and Blood find surprising new ways to get into trouble' but getting out of it may be beyond even their combined talents.

What I thought of ‘Vic and Blood’ ~

I am a fan of the film ‘A Boy and his Dog’, which was adapted from the book, ‘Vic and Blood’. The book is slightly different from the film and in all honesty ~ better, especially the ending of the film which Harlan Ellison hated and I can see why.

Blood the dog is telepathically connected to Vic, a young boy who survives with Blood’s help in the vast wasteland following numerous wars, Blood’s telepathy was inherited from an experiment on his ancestors, he is unable to do what dogs should be able to do, which is hunt but he cannot, so he depends on Vic, while Vic depends on Blood to cope with the world around him.

Vic and Blood’s relationship is shown well and is heartfelt and humorous at times.

Recommended.

The 100 year old who climbed out the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson ~ Started: 26.09.12 ~ Finished: 04.10.12

Title of book: The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared

Name of Author: Jonas Jonasson

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B008D30K7E

100.jpg

Synopsis ~

It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan’s earlier life in which – remarkably – he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century. Already a huge bestseller across Europe, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a fun and feel-good book for all ages.

What I thought of ‘The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared’~

It is very rare for me to find the perfect book and I found it with ‘The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared’. The story of Allan Karlsson is not only extraordinary but believable, a man born for adventure, a man who has no interest in politics and accepts everything in his life with a smile (it’s not often that Allan loses his temper) and takes pleasure in the simplest of things.

Allan’s story begins on the day of his 100th birthday when he decides to leave his room at the nursing home where he lives before his party begins (which he did not want in the first place), Karl climbs out the window and finds himself at the bus station where his adventure begins with the decision to take a silver suitcase.

As I said before, this book is perfect, Allan is an amazing character, I loved his outlook on life and despite the amount of famous people he meets, befriends, it does not change him. Allan’s quiet acceptance is brilliant to read, he is just so likeable. Allan makes friends as his adventures progresses, who were also great to read.

The story is gorgeous, different and endearing, I did not want to leave Allan.

The Shelter by James Everington ~ Started: 04.10.12 ~ Finished: 04.10.12

Title of book: The Shelter

Name of Author: James Everington

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B005NRQV80

shelter.jpg

Synopsis ~

It’s a long, drowsy summer at the end of the 1980s, and Alan Dean and three of his friends cross the fields behind their village to look for a rumoured WW2 air raid shelter. Only half believing that it even exists beyond schoolboy gossip, the four boys nevertheless feel an odd tension and unease. And when they do find the shelter, and go down inside it, the strange and horrifying events that follow will test their adolescent friendships to breaking point, and affect the rest of their lives...

What I thought of ‘The Shelter’ ~

‘The Shelter’ is a quick short story with loads of atmosphere and creepy moments.

Rating: 2/5

Oh great review of The 100 year old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared Paula :) I've got this on the shelf and frankie has already said it's marvellous. I must read it soon before it turns into a shelf sitter that I'm saving for a rainy day .. especially as you've said 'this book is perfect' :exc:

Oh great review of The 100 year old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared Paula :) I've got this on the shelf and frankie has already said it's marvellous. I must read it soon before it turns into a shelf sitter that I'm saving for a rainy day .. especially as you've said 'this book is perfect' :exc:

Thanks poppyshake, I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Let me know :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe yes please, no shelf sitting for this one :)

I love the sound of the 100 year old man........ i,ve added it to my wishlist for Christmas. He sounds quite a sprightly old chap most of the people in the home my fathers in have trouble making it to the toilet on their own let alone climbing out of a window unaided :o Did you choose the book because of its title or did someone recommend it to you Weave ?

I love the sound of the 100 year old man........ i,ve added it to my wishlist for Christmas. He sounds quite a sprightly old chap most of the people in the home my fathers in have trouble making it to the toilet on their own let alone climbing out of a window unaided :o Did you choose the book because of its title or did someone recommend it to you Weave ?

Hi Kidsmum, how are you? I chose purely for the title ~ you will love it! :)

Hi Kidsmum, how are you? I chose purely for the title ~ you will love it! :)

I'm good thanks Weave but very busy as usual running round after the family ..... It's a great title i've given hubby my Christmas wishlist so i'm expecting to find it in my Xmas stocking :D

I'm good thanks Weave but very busy as usual running round after the family ..... It's a great title i've given hubby my Christmas wishlist so i'm expecting to find it in my Xmas stocking :D

Can't wait to hear what you think :)

The Diviners (Book 1) by Libba Bray ~ Started: 06.10.12 ~ Finished: 14.10.12

Title of book: The Diviners (Book 1)

Name of Author: Libba Bray

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B008PGKASS

TheDiviners.jpg

Synopsis ~

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.

What I thought of ‘The Diviners’ ~

I saw a review for ‘The Diviners’ in a magazine and I could not wait to read it, it definitely sounded my kind of story. ‘The Diviners’ is set in the roaring 20’s and begins with a party with an unexpected guest who is about to appear and his name is Naughty John.

With the arrival of Naughty John and flapper girl Evie O’Neill the world opens up to a world of powers and secrets as the characters come together. Evie at first annoyed me but she freely admits herself that she is annoying which I found quite refreshing but as the story progressed I liked Evie more, I loved her optimism and her feisty spirit.

‘The Diviners’ is the first book in the series and I cannot wait for the next book.

Fantastic read.

This House is Haunted by Guy Playfair ~ Started: 14.10.12 ~ Finished: 16.10.12

Title of book: This House is Haunted

Name of Author: Guy Playfair

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B004ZMVZA8

ThisHouseisHaunted.jpg

Synopsis ~

This is the Amazing Story of the Enfield Poltergeist

On August 31st 1977, normal life ended for Mrs Harper and her four children in their modest council house in a hitherto quiet corner of the north London suburb of Enfield.

Compared to what was to come, the initial phenomena were relatively minor – knockings on the walls, and pieces of furniture moving in ways that did not seem normal.

The neighbours came in and searched the house, finding all in order, though they too heard the knocking. The police were called, and were able to witness a chair sliding along the floor. The disturbances went on, getting more intense and more frightening. They were eventually witnessed by at least thirty people.

They included examples of everything a poltergeist can do – overturning chairs and tables, flinging things about, whipping off bedclothes, levitating one of the girls in full view of passers-by, making her speak with the voice of an old man and defying the laws of physics by passing matter through solid matter.

Much of this bewildering and often terrifying activity was captured on tape and film by Maurice Grosse of the Society for Psychical Research and his colleague Guy Lyon

Playfair, who were on the case within days of its outbreak stayed on it until it finally came to an end, with a twist as unexpected and surprising as in any detective story.

No other case of its kind has been so well witnessed from start to finish or so thoroughly documented. Incidents are described as they happened, without embellishment, from some six hundred pages of transcripts of live tape recordings. The story of the Enfield poltergeist is already regarded as a classic in the annals of psychical research. It has been the subject of worldwide press coverage and several radio and television documentaries.

What I thought of ‘This House is Haunted’ ~

The story of The Enfield Poltergeist’ is well documented and is still talked about today. I did enjoy the story but I found a lot of the occurrences questionable, I believed that something was happening to the family and to a point it was paranormal but I think there are questions unanswered.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Weave

Delirium (Delirium Trilogy~Book 1) by Lauren Oliver ~ Started: 16.10.12 ~ Finished: 21.10.12

Title of book: Delirium (Delirium Trilogy~Book 1)

Name of Author: Lauren Oliver

Paperback

Number of pages: 416

ISBN~10: 0340980931

ISBN~13: 978-0340980934

Delirium.jpg

Synopsis ~

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

What I thought of ‘Delirium’ ~

I enjoyed ‘Delirium’, it was a strong story and the characters were well written especially the change in Lena from the start of the book to the end. At the beginning of the story Lena is very accepting of her world, that love is a disease and because of love she has lost her parents, Lena chooses not to see what her world really is until she meets Alex, a boy who shows her what the world really is.

I found Lena quite frustrating because she believed everything she was told and I enjoyed seeing the change in her.

Edited by Weave

Hana (A Delirium short story) by Lauren Oliver ~ Started: 21.10.12 ~ Finished: 21.10.12

Title of book: Hana (A Delirium short story)

Name of Author: Lauren Oliver

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B006NZ7HHK

Hana_zps1fb13092-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

In the world of Delirium, love is a disease. And like all eighteen-year-olds, Lena and Hana must take the cure.

At the start of their last summer of freedom, they were the closest of friends. Until Hana made a decision that tore them apart... In Delirium, we heard from Lena. Now, Hana gets to tell her side of the story. And nothing is what we first thought.

Hana is a powerful, moving and beautifully told original eBook short story, with a shocking twist that will leave you with your heart in your mouth.

What I thought of ‘Hana’ ~

‘Hana’ is the story of Hana, Lena’s friend in ‘Delirium’ and how she deals with the changes within herself and Lena. An interesting story told from Hana’s point of view.

Edited by Weave

Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy~Book 2) by Lauren Oliver ~ Started: 21.10.12 ~ Finished: 24.10.12

Title of book: Pandemonium (Delirium Trilogy~Book 2)

Name of Author: by Lauren Oliver

Paperback

Number of pages: 336

ISBN~10: 1444722956

ISBN~13: 978-1444722956

pana_zps9f7afa15-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,

pushing aside thoughts of Alex,

pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,

push,

push,

push,

like Raven taught me to do.

The old life is dead.

But the old Lena is dead too.

I buried her.

I left her beyond a fence,

behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

What I thought of ‘Pandemonium’ ~

I enjoyed ‘Pandemonium’ more than ‘Delirium’, the story was stronger, Lana has completely changed and is now fighting back against the world she escaped from. Lana has to learn to cope on her own and becomes stronger. There is excitement throughout the book and the story keeps you entertained to the very end.

I am looking forward to the final installment ‘Requiem’.

Edited by Weave

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker ~ Started: 22.10.12 ~ Finished: 25.10.12

Title of book: The Other Life

Name of Author: by Susanne Winnacker

Kindle Edition

ASIN: B006ONHWBW

theotherlife_zps0e183138-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

It’s been 3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since Sherry has seen daylight. When things went wrong up above, she was sealed off from the world in a bunker with her family. But when they run out of food, Sherry and her dad must venture outside. There they find devastation, desolation…and the Weepers: savage mutant killers. When her dad is snatched, Sherry joins forces with gorgeous but troubled Joshua – an Avenger, determined to destroy the Weepers. But can Sherry keep her family and Joshua safe, when his desire for vengeance threatens them all?

What I thought of ‘The Other Life’ ~

‘The Other Life’ was an interesting read, I liked the idea of Sherry leaving the bunker which has kept her and her family safe for the past 3 years, what Sherry finds is not what she was expected, everything she knew is gone and all is left is the Weepers, victims of the disease which forced Sherry and her family into the bunker.

As I said it is an interesting read with a fantastic twist, I am looking forward to the sequel ‘The Life Beyond’.

The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury by Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga ~ Started: 25.10.12 ~ Finished: 29.10.12

Title of book: The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury

Name of Authors: Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga

Paperback

Number of pages: 288

ISBN~10: 0330541366

ISBN~13: 978-0330541367

walkingdead_zps6e951edd-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

It is a dangerous world that Lilly lives in. The walking dead lurk in every corner, massacring anyone they can get their hands on. Nowhere is safe. But when a terrifying ordeal leaves numerous dead, Lilly and her companions are forced out of their tented community and into the open. Safety seems to come in the form of Woodbury, a gated compound with food and protection. Yet it’s not long before the wanton dangers of Woodbury reveal themselves, and the Governor’s despotic rule of the compound threatens to undermine everything Lilly believes in. Because sometimes the dead aren't the biggest threat. It’s the living . . .

What I thought of ‘The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury’~

Following on from the first book in the series, ‘The Rise of the Governor’, we meet Lily, another survivor who is facing the threat of the walking dead. The story begins with Lily living in a camp site with other survivors which unfortunately falls to the walkers. Lily with a few other people is forced to leave the camp site and begins her journey to Woodbury where she finds that Woodbury is not what she thought it was.

I did not enjoy ‘The Road to Woodbury’ as much as I enjoyed ‘The Rise of the Governor’, the story started on strong but as it progressed it became very lacklustre. I found Lily not very appealing as a character, I felt she should have been a stronger character in a lot of ways.