~Weave's world of books log 2012~

Weave

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga ~ Started: 29.01.12 ~ Finished: 06.02.12

Title of Book: The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

Name of Author: Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga

Paperback

ISBN-10: 0330541331

ISBN-13: 978-0330541336

Number of Pages: 352

21.jpg

Synopsis ~

In the Walking Dead unI'verse, there is no greater villain than The Governor. The despot who runs the walled-off town of Woodbury, he has his own sick sense of justice: whether it's forcing prisoners to battle zombies in an arena for the townspeople's amusement, or chopping off the appendages of those who cross him. The Governor was voted 'Villain of the Year' by Wizard magazine the year he debuted, and his story arc was the most controversial in the history of the Walking Dead comic book series. Now, for the first time, fans of The Walking Dead will discover how The Governor became the man he is, and what drove him to such extremes.

The Story ~

'Rise of The Governor' is the story of the Blake brothers, Philip and Brian who are making their way to Atlanta with Philip's daughter, Penny. Seventy~two hours after the dead began to come back to life, Philip, his daughter Penny, his friends, Bobby and Nick, and Philip's older brother, Brian, the weaker of the two brothers leave their home town and head towards to Atlanta where there are rumours of a rescue centre. The story follows the group as they face the unknown and try to understand what has happened to the world around them.

What I thought of 'The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor' ~

'Rise of the Governor is the first novel of a trilogy exploring the back stories of the characters from The Walking Dead graphic novels. The back story of 'The Governor' is a interesting one, the group focus on surviving on a day to day basis while Philip fights his inner demons. The story is very intense and you will be quickly drawn into the story.

This is the first book I have read about The Walking Dead and I enjoyed it. (I am planning to invest in 'The Walking Dead Compendium ~ Volume 1' as soon as possible) and I am an avid viewer of the TV series. I liked knowing the background of the man who eventually becomes The Governor (one of the most popular characters of the series), the experiences he faces and the choices he must make to survive.

I am looking forward to next instalment.

Rating: 5/5

Witch Hunt by Devin O'Branagan ~ Started: 04.02.12 ~ Finished: 05.02.12

Title of Book: Witch Hunt

Name of Author: Devin O'Branagan

Kindle Edition

File Size: 638 KB

ASIN: B00495XRBG

23.jpg

Synopsis ~

Leigh has been married to a Hawthorne for a decade, but never knew the family secret: the Hawthornes are witches. When the dynamic Preacher Cody instigates a new worldwide witch hunt, Leigh must choose sides.

Will she stand with her husband and children, or will she run? This isn't the first witch hunt the Hawthornes have faced, but it could be their last. Will anyone survI've?

The Story ~

'Witch Hunt' is the story of the Hawthorne family who hide an amazing secret, they are all witches, a family dynasty who have risen and fallen since the Salem Witch Trials. Leigh, and her husband Craig Hawthorne who chose to walk away from his family return to the family home following the untimely deaths of Craig's father and brother in an air plane crash, a crash which could have been much worse if it had not been for them both using their powers. Unfortunately Preacher Cody, an enigmatic man with delusions of what is right and wrong witnesses the power of the Hawthornes and instead of seeing good, he sees something dark and evil, something he feels he must stamp out any way he can. What will the Hawthornes do?

What I thought of 'Witch Hunt' ~

I could not put 'Witch Hunt' down, every time I would get to the end of the chapter, I would think, 'just one more chapter'. The story and the characters are brilliantly written, all of the Hawthorne women and men are powerful, confident and protect their family at any cost. I loved how the history of the Hawthorne family was explored from before the Salem Witch Trials to modern day American where 'witch hunts' still occur under the guise of religion, which did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Leigh, one of the main characters was my favourite character, I loved how she changed as the story progressed, from a quiet woman willing to please to a strong, determined woman who will do anything to protect her family. I loved how she faces the Hawthornes and proves her worth as an asset to the family.

The research of the Salem Witch Trials is thorough, concise and shows how harsh the trials were due to the lies of a group of girls, the scenes at the witch trials were brilliant to read but I did get very annoyed which for me is a sign of a fantastic writer, I felt for all of the victims of the trials.

The story is left open~ended, I cannot wait for the sequel.

Edited by Weave

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paula! *mwah*

You'll be pleased (I hope) to know that I found a cheap copy of Chris Priestley's The Dead of Winter last night. I also bought a book by Ryu Murakami, called Piercing. Now, I know nothing about this author, but I'm pretty sure you've read one or more books by him (her?), so I bought it. Am I right? Have you read this book by any chance?

ETA: Ah, I just found your review of Piercing on Goodreads! :)

Edited by Kylie

Hi Paula! *mwah*

You'll be pleased (I hope) to know that I found a cheap copy of Chris Priestley's The Dead of Winter last night. I also bought a book by Ryu Murakami, called Piercing. Now, I know nothing about this author, but I'm pretty sure you've read one or more books by him (her?), so I bought it. Am I right? Have you read this book by any chance?

ETA: Ah, I just found your review of Piercing on Goodreads! :)

Hi Kylie, how are you? I hope you enjoy both books, they are great reads and I'm glad you found the review of 'Piercing' :)

• 2 weeks later...

Underdogs by Markus Zusak ~ Started: 05.02.12 ~ Finished: 12.02.12

Title of Book: Underdogs

Name of Author: Markus Zusak

Hardback

ISBN~10: 0545354420

ISBN~13: 978-0545354424

Number of Pages: 499

24.jpg

Synopsis ~

Cameron and Ruben Wolfe are champions at getting into fights, coming up with half-baked schemes, and generally disappointing girls, their parents, and their much more motivated older siblings. They're intensely loyal to each other, brothers at their best and at their very worst. But when Cameron falls head over heels for Ruben's girlfriend, the strength of their bond is tested to its breaking point.

The Story ~

'Underdogs' is the story of the Wolfe brothers, Cameron and Ruben and the trilogy is now in one book. 'Underdog', the story of the Wolfe brothers and their various endeavours to make some money which do not go to plan. 'Fighting Ruben Wolfe', the story of the brothers who begin to fight for money, Ruben seems to have found his calling but its not what he wants, he wants to be something more. 'Getting The Girl', this is definitely Cameron's story, he finds a passion for writing, which he uses to explore his feelings for Ruben's latest girlfriend, Octavia.

What I thought of 'Underdogs' ~

I love the Wolfe brothers and was really happy when 'Underdogs' was released because I finally got the opportunity to read the first book in the trilogy, 'Underdog'. All books are written beautifully, the brothers are so raw, fiercely loyal, the best of brothers but both very different. I have a soft spot for Cameron and he is one of my favourite characters in literature and 'Getting The Girl' shows you how wonderful a character that Cameron is. Ruben is also a well written character, he knows what he wants and works to get it, he also has a hidden side, there is the bravado Ruben and then there is the vulnerable Ruben. The brothers and their family are a joy to read, a solid family unit who will do anything for each other.

The trilogy shows the beginning of Markus Zusak and his individual style of writing.

Read and enjoy!

Sunshine by Robin McKinley ~ Started: 12.02.12 ~ Finished: 21.02.12

Title of Book: Sunshine

Name of Author: Robin McKinley

Paperback

ISBN~10: 0553815830

ISBN~13: 978-0553815832

Number of Pages: 480

25.jpg

Synopsis ~

They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion-within easy reach of a figure stirring in the moonlight.

She knows that it is a vampire.

She knows that she's to be his dinner, and that when he is finished with her, she will be dead. Yet, when light breaks, she finds that he has not attempted to harm her. And now it is he who needs her to help him survive the day...

The Story ~

'Sunshine' is the story of Rae Seddon (also known as 'Sunshine'), an average girl who finds herself in an extraordinary situation when she is taken by vampires and wakes up in a ballroom chained to the wall but she is not alone, she is there for a reason and now she has to wait for the vampire beside her to wake in the evening.

What I thought of 'Sunshine' ~

This is the third time I have read 'Sunshine' by Robin McKinley and I got a lot more from it the third time around. 'Sunshine' tells the story of Rae Seddon affectionately known as 'Sunshine', who works for her step~father Charlie at Charlie's Coffeehouse, Rae is happy with her life, working at the bakery, her family and her boyfriend Mel, everything changes for Sunshine the night she goes to the lake, she is kidnapped by vampires who are part of society following the Voodoo Wars in previous years between humans and 'The Others', the others being vampires, werewolves, and demons, but the main conflict was between humans and vampires.

Sunshine wakes up chained to a wall in a room in one of the grander houses at the lake which were abandoned after the voodoo wars due to the 'bad spots' created by vampires, beside her, also chained to the wall is a vampire, Sunshine is a offering for him and so it begins, the relationship between the Constantine (known as 'Con') the Vampire and Sunshine the human.

Firstly let me make it very clear that 'Sunshine' is nothing like 'Twilight', the relationship between Con and Sunshine is different, they find out things about themselves and support each other, there is a slight glimmer of romance but it does not go any further.

I enjoyed 'Sunshine', I enjoyed that it was set in an alternate universe, the magic, the story of the world which Sunshine lives in.

I would not term 'Sunshine' as a book about a vampire, there is so much more to it and I think that it will appeal to any reader.

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris ~ Started: 12.02.12 ~ Finished: 16.02.12

Title of Book: The Sookie Stackhouse Companion

Name of Author: Charlaine Harris

Kindle Edition

File Size: 889 KB

ASIN: B005KKWB02

26.jpg

Synopsis ~

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion is a unique guide to Sookie Stackhouse and her dark fantasy southern-Gothic world, as well as an in-depth look at the award-winning HBO series True Blood. The book will feature a brand-new Sookie story and Charlaine's own map of Bon Temps, never before published, with every place of interest in the town, including Merlotte's bar and Sookie's home. Other treats include an introduction by Charlaine about the impact Sookie Stackhouse has had on her writing career, and the influence on the genre at large. A large section on the award-winning HBO series True Blood. Detailed summaries of each novel and entries on every important character, event and setting in the series, in Sookie's voice. An overview of Sookie's world, including information on the vampires,shapeshifter/wereanimal, and fairie factions. Interviews with Charlaine Harris and Alan Ball. A selection of favourite Bon Temps recipes

The Story ~

'The Sookie Stackhouse Companion' covers everything about the series and its characters. The story is a new one and its about Sookie and Sam attending his brother's wedding, while some of the residents of his home town are still struggling with the existence of shape shifters, Sookie discovers that one problem may have been solved but there is more to come.

What I thought of 'The Sookie Stackhouse Companion' ~

'The Sookie Stackhouse Companion' covers everything about Sookie and her world. The story is great to read and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the summaries too, the only downside was it showed how bad, well for me, the later books in the series have become, which is a pity because the early books are great.

A must have for Sookie fans.

Rating: 3/5

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga ~ Started: 29.01.12 ~ Finished: 06.02.12

This is the first book I have read about The Walking Dead and I enjoyed it. (I am planning to invest in 'The Walking Dead Compendium ~ Volume 1' as soon as possible) and I am an avid viewer of the TV series. I liked knowing the background of the man who eventually becomes The Governor (one of the most popular characters of the series), the experiences he faces and the choices he must make to survive.

Hi Weave, great reviews - very intrigued by more Richard Matheson books, as I've only read the one (you know which one!).

Re The Governor - I'm guessing this character hasn't appeared in the tv series yet?

Hi Weave, great reviews - very intrigued by more Richard Matheson books, as I've only read the one (you know which one!).

Re The Governor - I'm guessing this character hasn't appeared in the tv series yet?

Thanks Karsa :) I have sent you a pm about The Governor :)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith and Tony Lee ~ Started: 24.02.12 ~ Finished: 25.02.12

Title of Book: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel

Name of Author: Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith and Tony Lee

Paperback

ISBN~10: 0345520688

ISBN~13: 978-0345520685

Number of Pages: 176

27-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

It is known as “the strange plague,” and its unfortunate victims are referred to only as “unmentionables” or “dreadfuls.” All over England, the dead are rising again, and now even the daughters of Britain’s best families must devote their lives to mastering the deadly arts. Elizabeth Bennet is a fearsome warrior whose ability with a sword is matched only by her quick wit and even sharper tongue. But she faces her most formidable foe yet in the haughty, conceited, and somehow strangely attractive Mr. Darcy. As the two lovers meet in the ballroom and on the battlefield, they’ll soon learn that nothing—not even bands of ninjas, hordes of flesh-eating zombies, or disapproving aunts—can stop true love.

The Story ~

Everyone knows the story of 'Pride and Prejudice', now its been revamped with the addition of zombies and ass~kicking Benet sisters!

What I thought of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel' ~

I do like the story of 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', its a fun read but I did not enjoy the graphic novel, the illustrations did not attract my attention.

Rating: 2/5

Grave Sight Part 1 (Harper Connelly Series) by Charlaine Harris and William Harms ~ Started: 25.02.12 ~ Finished: 25.02.12

Title of Book: Grave Sight Part 1 (Harper Connelly Series)

Name of Author: Charlaine Harris and William Harms

Paperback

ISBN~10: 1606902296

ISBN~13: 978-1606902295

Number of Pages: 64

28.jpg

Synopsis ~

Acclaimed New York Times Bestselling author Charlaine Harris, the writer of the Sookie Stackhouse series, has joined the Dynamite Entertainment family with the first book of her hit Harper Connelly series, Grave Sight. For the past five years, readers have been thrilled by the Harper Connelly series which follows a woman who has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother, Tolliver, as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever. At the age of 15, Harper Connelly was struck by lightning, an event that gave her the ability to find the dead and see how they died. Since then, Harper's scratched out a living selling her services to anyone with a checkbook. It's not the best life, but it beats the alternative - at least until Harper and her brother Tolliver roll into Sarne, Arkansas and find themselves embroiled in a murder mystery!

The Story ~

'Grave Sight' is the first book in the graphic novel collection based on the Harper Connelly series. Harper travels around the country with her step-brother Tolliver using her skill to make money, Harper's skill being she can sense dead bodies and knows how the person died. Harper also uses her power in the hope that she will find her sister who mysteriously disappeared years before. Can Harper find the answers she seeks?

What I thought of 'Grave Sight Part 1' ~

'Grave Sight' was slightly darker than the Sookie books and was action packed from the start, a great mystery but at the same time you get to know the characters of Harper and her step~brother, Tolliver and their background.

The illustrations are superb, bright, eye~catching and an impressive vision of Harper.

'Grave Sight' will not leave you disappointed if you enjoy this type of book, an easy, fun read which draws you in.

There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbour's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya ~ Started: 24.02.12 ~ Finished: 26.02.12

Title of Book: There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbour's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales

Name of Author: Ludmilla Petrushevskaya

File Size: 324 KB

ASIN: B0050N7H5S

29.jpg

Synopsis ~

A woman finds herself filling a pit in the forest in the middle of the night; a family lock each other in their bedrooms to battle a strange plague; a wizard punishes two beautiful ballerinas by turning them into one hugely fat circus performer; a colonel is warned not to lift the veil from his dead wife's face; and a distraught father brings his daughter back to life by eating human hearts in his dreams. In these blackly comic tales of revenge, disturbing deaths and haunting melancholy, Ludmilla Petrushevskaya blends miracles and madness in the darkest of modern fairy tales.

The Story ~

'There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbour's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales' is a collection of fairy tales from the dark side.

What I thought of 'There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbour's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales' ~

I found this book by accident and what attracted me was the cover of the book and that it was full of scary fairy tales. This book is an absolute gem, the story are different, dark and full of black humour. The author, Ludmilla Petrushevskaya is an interesting woman too, she was ostracised in her own country of Russia because 'her stories about the lives of Russian women were too dark, too direct, and too forbidding.'

If you love dark fairies tales, this is definitely the book for you.

An absolute gem.

The Prospect of my Arrival by Dwight Okita ~ Started: 26.02.12 ~ Finished: 27.02.12

Title of Book: The Prospect of my Arrival

Name of Author: Dwight Okita

Kindle Edition

File Size: 584 KB

ASIN: B005WMLEYC

30.jpg

Synopsis ~

A human embryo is allowed to preview the world before deciding whether to be born. The embryo, named Prospect, is given a starter kit of human knowledge, and his consciousness is inserted into a synthetic twenty-year-old body. To help him make up his mind, he will meet a range of people. Among them, a greeting card writer who excels at sympathy cards, and Prospect's very own inscrutable parents. Trish Mesmer is the scientist charged with counselling Prospect, though she has more hidden agendas than a centipede has legs. At the same time, Trevor Grueling grows increasingly committed to derailing the bio-experiment all together. This cautionary tale is served up with equal helpings of whimsy and dread, with just a dash of hope.

The Story ~

'The Prospect of my Arrival' is the story of Prospect, a human embryo who is given the opportunity to decide whether or not he wants to be born. Prospect is taught the basics of human knowledge before his consciousness is placed into a synthetic twenty~year old man's body To help Prospect to make his choice he meets a wide range of people who will show him their ideas of life and what it means to them, although one of them does have a sinister agenda. Trish Mesmer, the scientist in charge of the experiment counsels Prospect whilst also keeping secrets from him. The people that Prospect meets are from all walks of life and all want to help Prospect in his decision. If you had the chance to see the world before you were born, would you do it?

What I thought of 'The Prospect of my Arrival' ~

I read about 'The Prospect of my Arrival' on facebook and downloaded it right away onto my kindle. Prospect's story is told brilliantly with Prospect's innocent but strong voice through it. Prospect has the opportunity to see what his life will be like if he chooses to be born and with conflicting opinions surrounding him its a difficult choice for Prospect to make. The beauty of this story is Prospect and his insights on the world, and as the story progresses you understand why its such a difficult choice, for every good aspect, there's a bad aspect to life.

'The Prospect of my Arrival' is a thought provoking story with Prospect as the naive but intelligent narrator, at times funny and sad, Prospect’s story is told and remains with you.

The Prospect of My Arrival sounds like a very interesting read. Another one to add to my wishlist.

I think you will enjoy it BB, if you read it, let me know what you think. :)

Great reviews Paula, Sunshine sounds great! Might have to put it on the wish list :)

Thanks Andrea, 'Sunshine' is a great read, I might invest in a new copy, my current copy is a bit world weary. :)

• 1 month later...

Title of Book: Blindness

Name of Author: Jose Saramago

Paperback

ISBN~10: 1860466850

ISBN~13: 978-1860466854

Number of Pages: 320

27.jpg

Synopsis ~

In an unnamed city in an unnamed country, a man sitting in his car waiting for a traffic light to change is suddenly struck blind. But instead of being plunged into darkness, this man sees everything white, as if he "were caught in a mist or had fallen into a milky sea." A Good Samaritan offers to drive him home (and later steals his car); his wife takes him by taxi to a nearby eye clinic where they are ushered past other patients into the doctor's office. Within a day the man's wife, the taxi driver, the doctor and his patients, and the car thief have all succumbed to blindness. As the epidemic spreads, the government panics and begins quarantining victims in an abandoned mental asylum--guarded by soldiers with orders to shoot anyone who tries to escape. So begins Portuguese author José Saramago's gripping story of humanity under siege, written with a dearth of paragraphs, limited punctuation, and embedded dialogue minus either quotation marks or attribution. At first this may seem challenging, but the style actually contributes to the narrative's building tension, and to the reader's involvement.

The Story ~

'Blindness' is the story of a unnamed country which suffers a widespread blindness epidemic. It begins with a man stuck in traffic who is struck by 'white' blindness. The only solution the government has is to lock all of the blind people together in a former asylum, a decision that slowly becomes worse and worse for the people, secluded from their friends and family, life in the asylum is every man and woman for themselves, groups develop and fight amongst themselves, will they ever leave the asylum and what is waiting for them outside?

What I thought of 'Blindness' ~

'Blindness' is a book which we will stay with me for different reasons, the story is terrifying as people experience blindness and try to live in a world where everyone is blind. The government actions are questionable, arrogant, ignorant and cruel. The isolation the group feels is showed brilliantly. A book to make you think.

The only downside for me was the lack of character names but it did not take anything away from the story.

Title of Book: The Hunger Games

Name of Author: Suzanne Collins

Kindle Edition

File Size: 542 KB

ASIN: B005EGXTEE

32.jpg

Synopsis ~

A fight to the death - on live TV. The game show where you kill or die, and where the winner's prize is survival. In District 12, where Katniss Everdeen lives, life is harsh and brutal, ruled from afar by the all-powerful leaders of the Capitol. The climax of each year is the savage Hunger Games - where twelve boys and twelve girls from each District face each other in a murderous showdown. When sixteen-year-old Katniss is chosen to represent her district in the Games, everyone thinks it's a death sentence. Only one person can survive the horrors of the arena. But plucky Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature...

Title of Book: Catching Fire (Book 2 ~ The Hunger Games Trilogy)

Kindle Edition

File Size: 566 KB

ASIN: B005EGXTHG

33.jpg

Synopsis ~

Katniss survived the Hunger Games. Now the Capitol wants revenge. It's payback time, and her chance of survival is even slimmer than ever... After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta have returned to District 12, hoping for a peaceful future. But their victory has caused rebellion to break out - and the Capitol has decided that someone must pay. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the other districts on the Capitol's Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless they can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying. Then comes the cruellest twist: the contestants for the next Hunger Games are announced, and Katniss and Peeta are forced into the arena once more...

Title of Book: Mockingjay (Book 3 ~ The Hunger Games Trilogy)

Kindle Edition

File Size: 603 KB

ASIN: B005EGXTL2

34.jpg

Synopsis ~

Can Katniss Everdeen win the final fight against the Capitol? Against all odds, she's survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she is still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no-one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12...

What I thought of 'The Hunger Games Trilogy' ~

This is the third time I have read the trilogy and for me, its still one of the best series out there. Fantastic story, characters, a stark view of questionable entertainment. Katniss is a well written character, she is strong but vulnerable and knows how to survive. I know there are many views on how the series ends, I still stand by my first thought, Katniss got the ending she deserved.

A series I will read again and again.

Rating: 10/10

Paperback

27.jpg

Synopsis ~

In an unnamed city in an unnamed country, a man sitting in his car waiting for a traffic light to change is suddenly struck blind. But instead of being plunged into darkness, this man sees everything white, as if he "were caught in a mist or had fallen into a milky sea." A Good Samaritan offers to drive him home (and later steals his car); his wife takes him by taxi to a nearby eye clinic where they are ushered past other patients into the doctor's office. Within a day the man's wife, the taxi driver, the doctor and his patients, and the car thief have all succumbed to blindness. As the epidemic spreads, the government panics and begins quarantining victims in an abandoned mental asylum--guarded by soldiers with orders to shoot anyone who tries to escape. So begins Portuguese author José Saramago's gripping story of humanity under siege, written with a dearth of paragraphs, limited punctuation, and embedded dialogue minus either quotation marks or attribution. At first this may seem challenging, but the style actually contributes to the narrative's building tension, and to the reader's involvement.

The Story ~

'Blindness' is the story of a unnamed country which suffers a widespread blindness epidemic. It begins with a man stuck in traffic who is struck by 'white' blindness. The only solution the government has is to lock all of the blind people together in a former asylum, a decision that slowly becomes worse and worse for the people, secluded from their friends and family, life in the asylum is every man and woman for themselves, groups develop and fight amongst themselves, will they ever leave the asylum and what is waiting for them outside?

'Blindness' is a book which we will stay with me for different reasons, the story is terrifying as people experience blindness and try to live in a world where everyone is blind. The government actions are questionable, arrogant, ignorant and cruel. The isolation the group feels is showed brilliantly. A book to make you think.

The only downside for me was the lack of character names but it did not take anything away from the story.

This book sounds really interesting. I may have to put this on my TBR list! Great review

Its definitely interesting Karen :)

Title of Book: Growth Spurt (The Blue Jackets~Part 2)

Name of Author: M.Leon Smith

Kindle Edition

File Size: 113 KB

ASIN: B005Z4ONH2

35.jpg

Synopsis ~

Lydia's life as a teenager is a horrible struggle. Late to develop, she feels left behind her friends and is pressured by her Mam to fit in at all costs. Things begin to develop alright when Lydia begins to change in a way that surprises everyone. Everyone that is except those who understand super powers when they see them- for good and evil.

The Story ~

Continuing from Part 1 of the Blue Jackets, the story of normal teenagers who become super heroes.

What I thought of 'Growth Spurt (The Blue Jackets~Part 2)' ~

I enjoyed part 2 as much as the first part, great story with great characters, a definite must have for comic books fans and anyone interested in becoming a comic book fan.

Title of Book: Tales of Ghostly Horror: Real Ghost Encounters with the Supernatural

Name of Author: Peter Drake

Kindle Edition

File Size: 282 KB

ASIN: B004S81QXU

36.jpg

Synopsis ~

Feel a profound sense of dread at the ghostly horrors that scratch at the surface of our world. Discover frightening true accounts of poltergeists, apparitions and malevolent entities, and explore some of England's most fearsome haunted locations with WOLF ('World Oneiric Life Force’), a paranormal research & investigation team.

What I thought of 'Tales of Ghostly Horror: Real Ghost Encounters with the Supernatural' ~

The experiences are interesting to read but you get the general impression that members of the team are film fans, a lot of experience were apparently similar to experiences in 'Ghostbusters' and various films.

• 4 weeks later...

Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist ~ Started: 31.03.12 ~ Finished: 22.04.12

Title of Book: Little Star

Name of Author: John Ajvide Lindqvist

Kindle Edition

File Size: 648 KB

ASIN: B004XOZ98C

37.jpg

Synopsis ~

When Lennart Cederstrom found the baby girl lying in a plastic bag, she was close to death. As he gave her the kiss of life, her responding breath was a perfect musical note. In that instant, she became his obsession. He could do nothing but take her home. But his little star will take him into the realm of nightmares...

What I thought of 'Little Star' ~

I am becoming a massive fan of John Ajvide Lindqvist and 'Little Star' is my favourite book. The story is brilliant, dark and uncompromising. The two main characters Theres and Teresa, two very different young girls find themselves drawn to each other for different reasons. Theres is strange with a mysterious background, who has very clear thinking of what is right and wrong, its quite un~nerving to read. Teresa is a girl looking for answers and Theres gives her the answers she wants and a way to live with the person she wants to be.

As always with John Ajvide Lindqvist I love how his writing flows and the story comes together, the characters have aspects that as a reader you can identify with and the main focus throughout the book is how much people want from Theres and how much they underestimate her.

A book I would definitely love to see as a film.

Grave Sight Part 2 (Harper Connelly Series) by Charlaine Harris, Denis Medris and William Harms ~ Started: 22.04.12 ~ Finished: 22.04.12

Title of Book: Grave Sight Part 2 (Harper Connelly Series)

Name of Author: Charlaine Harris, Denis Medris and William Harms

Paperback

ISBN~10: 1606902393

ISBN~13: 978-1606902394

38.jpg

Synopsis ~

Harper Connelly finds dead people for a living, and helps friends and family gain closure by letting them finally put their loved ones to rest. Harper and her step-brother, Tolliver Lang, have just completed a job in Sarne, Arkansas, but that doesn''t mean their work is done. More people are turning up dead, and Harper might just be falling for the town''s deputy, a handsome, rugged man whose wife died under mysterious circumstances...

What I thought of 'Grave Sight ~ Part 2' ~

The next instalment in the graphic novel series was just as good as the first book, the art work is brilliant to look at and it really captures the story, which for me, as a big fan of the series is great to see.

The Walking Dead Compendium 1 by Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn and Robert Kirkman ~ Started: 23.04.12 ~ Finished: 27.04.12

Title of Book: The Walking Dead Compendium 1

Name of Author: Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn and Robert Kirkman

Paperback

ISBN~10: 1607060760

ISBN~13: 978-1607060765

Number of Pages: 1088

39.jpg

Synopsis ~

Introducing the first eight volumes of the fan-favorite, New York Times Best Seller series collected into one massive paperback collection! Collects The Walking Dead #1-48. This is the perfect collection for any fan of the Emmy Award-winning television series on AMC: over one thousand pages chronicling the beginning of Robert Kirkman''s Eisner Award-winning continuing story of survival horror- from Rick Grimes'' waking up alone in a hospital, to him and his family seeking solace on Hershel''s farm, and the controversial introduction of Woodbury despot: The Governor. In a world ruled by the dead, we are finally forced to finally start living.

What I thought of 'The Walking Dead Compendium 1' ~

I love 'The Walking Dead', season 2 has just ended on the fx channel and after reading the compendium 1 I cannot wait to see what happens to Rick and the rest of the survivors. There is much more to the characters in the graphic novels and like the show, there will be characters you love and hate, and also some characters that you wish are either in the show or more focused on. The most hated character for me was 'The Governor' and having read 'The Rise of The Governor' and knowing his background, I still hated him, fantastic character though and I can't wait to see him in the next season along with Michonne.

Edited by Weave

A Million Suns (Across The Universe ~ Book 2) by Beth Revis ~ Started: 23.04.12 ~ Finished: 05.05.12

Title of Book: A Million Suns (Across The Universe ~ Book 2)

Name of Author: Beth Revis

Kindle Edition

File Size: 573 KB

ASIN: B007KW5AMY

40.jpg

Synopsis ~

Trapped on board the spaceship Godspeed, Amy trusts no-one.

The ship's ruler is dead and a rebellion threatens. Amy wants to help Elder as he tries to take charge, but she's torn between her feelings for him and the chaos that's pulling everything apart.

As more harrowing discoveries are made about Godspeed, Amy is caught in a desperate race to unravel its secrets. Only one thing is certain.

They have to get off this ship.

The Story ~

Following on from 'Across The Universe', life has changed on Godspeed but Amy is not sure whether its for the best or will the situation become worse. Elder is trying to find a way to find a balance whilst trying to do the best for all the members of the ship but there is trouble stirring and more secrets coming to light.

What I thought of 'A Million Suns' ~

I did not enjoy 'A Million Suns' as much as I enjoyed 'Across The Universe', I felt that there was something missing, the story was interesting but not as enthralling, however, I am still planning to read the last book in the trilogy because I have to know what happens!

Grave Sight Part 3 (Harper Connelly Series) by Charlaine Harris, Denis Medris and William Harms ~ Started: 01.05.12 ~ Finished: 02.05.12

Title of Book: Grave Sight Part 3 (Harper Connelly Series)

Name of Author: Charlaine Harris, Denis Medris and William Harms

Paperback

ISBN~10: 1606902695

ISBN~13: 978-1606902691

41.jpg

Synopsis ~

Harper Connelly finds dead people for a living, but not everyone appreciates her special gift. In the stunning conclusion to this three-part series, Harper''s step-brother, Tolliver Lang, finds himself in trouble with the law while Harper struggles to clear his name. And then there''s the matter of a mysterious killer who seems to follow in Harper''s wake. Will Harper and Tolliver get out of Sarne, Arkansas in one piece, or will they be the killer''s next victims? Grave Sight Part 3 features 44-pages of story and art, with the balance consisting of bonus and behind-the-scenes material, as well as an extended interview with Charlaine.

What I thought of 'Grave Sight Part 3' ~

The last instalment was just as good as the rest of the series, Harper Connelly is a great character to read. As always the artwork is fantastic.

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings ~ Started: 21.05.12 ~ Finished: 27.05.12

Title of Book: The Descendants

Name of Author: Kaui Hart Hemmings

Kindle Edition

File Size: 707 KB

ASIN: B0031RS8QM

b1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Matthew King was once considered one of the most fortunate men in Hawaii. His missionary ancestors were financially and culturally progressive - one even married a Hawaiian princess, making Matt a royal descendant and one of the state's largest landowners.

Now his luck has changed. His two daughters are out of control: Ten-year-old Scottie is a smart-ass with a desperate need for attention, and seventeen-year-old Alex, a former model, is a recovering drug addict. Matt's charismatic, thrill-seeking, high-maintenance wife, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident and will soon be taken off life support. The Kings can hardly picture life without her, but as they come to terms with this tragedy, their sadness is mixed with a sense of freedom that shames them - and spurs them into surprising actions.

Before honoring Joanie's living will, Matt must gather her friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation made worse by the sudden discovery that there is one person who hasn't been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair, quite possibly the one man she ever truly loved. Forced to examine what he owes not only to the living but to the dead, Matt takes to the road with his daughters to find his wife's lover, a memorable journey that leads to both painful revelations and unforeseen humour and growth.

What I thought of 'The Descendants' ~

I downloaded 'The Descendants' because I was planning to see the film and I always like to read the book before seeing the film. I was pleasantly surprised by 'The Descendants', its a easy, enthralling read with sadness, humour and a keen insight into the dynamics of a family as they cope with loss and their future.

Matt King as the narrator tells his story with humour as he realises he will have to raise his daughters who he loves but does not know, his shock at their actions is at times, funny and heartbreaking. The star of the story for me was Scottie, Matt's youngest daughter, she is funny, endearing and honest about the world around her and facing losing her mother.

I definitely want to see the film now.

A well written story ~ enjoy.

Rating: 4/5

Edited by Weave

Hi Paula.

Hope you enjoy the film when you get round to seeing it. I thought it was really good, but I hadn't read the book. I'd be interested in hearing how the two compare.

Will do Andrea, I am glad you enjoyed the movie. :)

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James ~ Started: 03.06.12 ~ Finished: 04.06.12

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James ~ Started: 04.06.12 ~ Finished: 05.06.12

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James ~ Started: 05.06.12 ~ Finished: 06.06.12

Title of Book: The Fifty Shades Trilogy ('Fifty Shades of Grey', 'Fifty Shades Darker', 'Fifty Shades Freed'

Name of Author: E.L James

Kindle Editions

File Size: 1410 KB (Book 1), 962 KB (Book 2), 1002 KB (Book 3)

ASIN(s): B007L3BMGA (Book 1), B007KZY1YY (Book 2), B007KOYEOC (Book 3)

fifty-shades.jpg

Synopsis ~

Fifty Shades of Grey:

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time. Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

Fifty Shades Darker:

Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house. But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades. While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront her anger and envy of the women who came before her and make the most important decision of her life. Erotic, sparkling and suspenseful, Fifty Shades Darker is the irresistibly addictive second part of the Fifty Shades trilogy.

Fifty Shades Freed:

When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more - love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true.

What I thought of 'The Fifty Shades Trilogy' ~

I read a few reviews of the trilogy which were varied and then I read the whole series in a weekend, in all honesty, I did not think they were up to much, I could not relate to the characters and I really did not like the 'development' of Ana, the writing was okay, forgettable but I read them to the end and I don't think I will read them again.

Hi Paula :) How are you?

It's good to see lots of reviews again. :)

I enjoyed your reviews of Lindqvist and the Harper Connolly books. I noticed in the review for the 3rd book you mentioned it was the last instalment. Did you know there is a 4th book?

I've been contemplating getting the Walking Dead for my brother. I bought the TV series for him but I'm not sure if he's watched it yet.

It's a shame that the 2nd Beth Revis book wasn't as good as the first. I still haven't read Across the Universe yet. Do you think I should bother with it?

Paperback

27.jpg

Synopsis ~

The Story ~

Wow how did I miss this review Paula? This sounds fantastic !!