~Weave's world of books log 2012~

Weave

A Little Girl in my Room and Other Stories by Claire Farrell ~ Started: 20.01.12 ~ Finished: 20.01.12

Title of Book: A Little Girl in my Room and Other Stories

Name of Author: Claire Farrell

Kindle Edition

File Size: 129 KB

ASIN: B003B3O310

15.jpg

Synopsis ~

A Little Girl in my Room & Other Stories is a collection of dark flash fiction by Claire Farrell. This book is Rated R: Adults Only. Some may find the themes addressed disturbing. Content includes child abuse, rape, suicide, murder and violence.

This dark fiction collection contains 12 short stories:

Skeleton in the Closet and Childlike Bride - What happens to the vulnerable when they are taken advantage of then abandoned?

A Friend – A lonely ghost bears witness to a Halloween prank that ends in tragedy.

Frozen and Frozen in Reverse – Parallel stories detailing an attack in the words of the victim and then the rapist.

Ready or Not – What’s your idea of hell?

Justice – The lengths the heartbroken will go to for justice . . . or revenge.

Forever Young – Sometimes regrets come too late.

Peace, Deals, A Great Day, A Little Girl in my Room – Four offerings of the supernatural kind.

This is a very dark collection of stories but interesting. Claire Farrell gives you an insight into different people and what is out there.

Rating: 3/5

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UR by Stephen King ~ Started: 21.01.12 ~ Finished: 22.01.12

Title of Book: UR

Name of Author: Stephen King

Kindle Edition

File Size: 183 KB

ASIN: B001RF3U9K

17.jpg

Synopsis ~

Tapping into our primal fears of modern technology that made Cell a #1 bestseller, Stephen King sets his sights on the latest high-tech gadget in UR, in which a mysterious e-book reader opens a disturbing window into other worlds.

Reeling from a painful break-up, English instructor and avid book lover Wesley Smith is haunted by his ex-girlfriend's parting shot: "Why can't you just read off the computer like everyone else?" He buys an e-book reader out of spite, but soon finds he can use the device to glimpse realities he had never before imagined, discovering literary riches beyond his wildest dreams...and all-too-human tragedies that surpass his most terrible nightmares.

'UR' is another novella to Stephen King's collection and its for the kindle age. The story was interesting and weird (very Twilight Zone) but very Stephen King. Fans will recognise the 'low men in yellow coats' but 'UR' is definitely a great introduction for new fans. Avoid pink kindles people.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs ~ Started: 21.01.12 ~ Finished: 26.01.12

Title of Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Name of Author: Ransom Riggs

Hardback

ISBN-10: 1594744769

ISBN-13: 978-1594744761

Number of Pages: 352

16.jpg

Synopsis ~

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children", an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

The Story ~

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' is the story of Jacob Portman, an average 15 year old who has been raised listening to his Grandfather Portman's exciting stories of his past, his experiences in the war, his travels and his time spent at a home in Wales during the war following his escape from war torn Poland by his parents to ensure his safety. As Jacob gets older his belief in his Grandfather's stories begin to waiver but everything changes one day when he finds out that the 'monsters' his Grandfather told about him are in fact, real.

So begins Jacob's journey to find out the truth about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

What I thought of 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' ~

I have been looking forward to reading 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' for awhile and I was not disappointed. What an absolutely imaginative, wonderful book, I was enthralled from the first page and did not want the book to end.

The story is told beautifully, you get to know Grandfather Portman as the story progresses and you share Jacob's experiences. There is excitement throughout the book which makes for great reading.

All of the characters are brilliantly written, Jacob, the hero of the piece is searching for answers about his Grandfather's past, and the exciting tales he told of his time living in Cairnholm Bay off the coast of Wales during the war at under the protection of the 'Old Bird' Miss Peregine's Home (which he eventually discovers is called 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'). Jacob is also interested to find out about the residents of the home from the photographs his Grandfather showed him and the ones that Jacob finds in his house, the photographs show a eclectic group of children, all different in their own way.

The children are brilliantly written from Olive (the levitating girl), Millard (the invisible boy), Emma (who can control fire), Bronwyn (who is incredibly strong), Enoch (who can bring the dead back to life) to Hugh (who has bees living in his stomach) and all the other children living their lives at the home.

What truly makes the book special are the photos, they tell a story too and they are beautiful in their own way.

The story is left open ended, I am so looking forward to a sequel.

A future classic and no mistake, read it and enjoy.

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Weave

Great review of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Weave! This makes me excited to read my copy that I got for Christmas.

Thanks nursenblack :) I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

UR by Stephen King ~ Started: 21.01.12 ~ Finished: 22.01.12

Title of Book: UR

Kindle Edition

File Size: 183 KB

ASIN: B001RF3U9K

17.jpg

Synopsis ~

Tapping into our primal fears of modern technology that made Cell a #1 bestseller, Stephen King sets his sights on the latest high-tech gadget in UR, in which a mysterious e-book reader opens a disturbing window into other worlds.

Reeling from a painful break-up, English instructor and avid book lover Wesley Smith is haunted by his ex-girlfriend's parting shot: "Why can't you just read off the computer like everyone else?" He buys an e-book reader out of spite, but soon finds he can use the device to glimpse realities he had never before imagined, discovering literary riches beyond his wildest dreams...and all-too-human tragedies that surpass his most terrible nightmares.

'UR' is another novella to Stephen King's collection and its for the kindle age. The story was interesting and weird (very Twilight Zone) but very Stephen King. Fans will recognise the 'low men in yellow coats' but 'UR' is definitely a great introduction for new fans. Avoid pink kindles people.

Sounds great. I like Stephen King; just off to investigate this now (for reading on the Kindle, ha ha :D )

Hi Paula catching up today. You have some seriously good sounding books here. Question: I have read The Hellbound Heart but it was called Hellraiser instead and they made it into a film . I guess THH is the original title?

Sounds great. I like Stephen King; just off to investigate this now (for reading on the Kindle, ha ha :D )

Its a good wee story Ruth, you might look at your kindle a different way though :giggle:

I just picked up Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children from the library, some of the pictures look a bit creepy but I'll be getting to it very soon! :o

I just picked up Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children from the library, some of the pictures look a bit creepy but I'll be getting to it very soon! :o

Hi chaliepud, how are you? I thought so too but the photos don't seem so creepy as you read the story, looking forward to reading your thoughts about it. :)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children sounds really good, I've just added it to my wishlist :)

Hi Laura, how are you? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :) Looking forward to reading your thoughts. :)

Hi Paula catching up today. You have some seriously good sounding books here. Question: I have read The Hellbound Heart but it was called Hellraiser instead and they made it into a film . I guess THH is the original title?

Hi VF, how are you? Thank you :) You are right, 'Hellraiser' is based on the book, 'The Hellbound Heart and 'Nightbreed' is based on the book 'Cabal' (some trivia for you). :)

Edited by Weave

I too really like Richard Matheson....I Am Legend is my fave! Did you know Stir of Echoes was made into a movie with Kevin Bacon? Not exactly award winning...but worth a watch

p.s. regarding Miss Peregrine....he is writing a sequel I hear :D

Edited by Sofia

Hi chaliepud, how are you? I thought so too but the photos don't seem so creepy as you read the story, looking forward to reading your thoughts about it. :)

Very well thanks Weave thank you. As it's a library book I have no choice but to get around to it very soon, I'm not very good at reviews but I can normally manage a mark out of 5!

I did put a note to you on The Bloody Chamber thread to say you are welcome to my copy if you'd still like to read it? It's not a keeper for me but I think I was in the minority. :smile:

Great review. It sounds intriguing; I've added it to my wishlist.

Good stuff BB, I hope you enjoy it, I am looking forward to reading your review. :)

Just After Sunset by Stephen King ~ Started: 22.01.12 ~ Finished: 28.01.12

Title of Book: Just After Sunset

Kindle Edition

File Size: 509 KB

ASIN: B003BKZW22

18.jpg

Synopsis ~

Just after sunset, as darkness grips the imagination, is the time when you feel the unexpected creep into the every day. As familiar journeys take a different turn, ordinary objects assume extraordinary powers. A blind intruder visits a dying man -- and saves his life, with a kiss. A woman receives a phone call from her husband. Her late husband. In the emotional aftermath of her baby's sudden death, Emily starts running. And running. Her curiosity leads her right into the hands of a murderer ...and soon her legs are her only hope for survival. Enter a world of masterful suspense, dark comedy and thrilling twists which will keep you riveted from the first page. Enter the world of No. 1 bestseller Stephen King.

The Story ~

Another collection of short stories from Stephen King.

Willa ~

'Willa' tells the tale of Willa and her fiancée, David, Willa has disappeared from the train station and David is concerned they will miss the train, whilst the other passengers can pretty much take or leave Willa, which they are very vocal about to David. David is determined to find Willa and Willa is determined that David and the rest of the passengers see the truth of their situation.

The Gingerbread Girl ~

'The Gingerbread Girl' is the story of Emily who takes up running to cope with the grief of losing her only daughter, Amy to cot death. Emily's running quickly becomes obsessive and her husband, Henry is concerned and he confronts Emily, this leads to an argument and Emily runs from the house, contacts her Dad and moves into his summer house on the island of Vermillion Key (which is part of the Florida Keys). Emily then contacts Henry and they agree to a trial separation. Life is easy for Emily at the summer house, the only person she sees is Deke Hollis (a friend of her Dad, who runs the drawbridge), Deke warns that Ian Pickering, one of her neighbours on the Island has returned with one of his 'nieces' and that Emily is to avoid him because he is 'not a very nice man'. Emily quickly finds out why Ian is not a very nice man and Emily is literally running for her life.

Harvey's Dream ~

'Harvey's Dream' is the story of Harvey who wakes up screaming after dreaming that one of his daughters has died in a car accident. As Harvey tells his wife Janet about the dream, she realises that everything he is saying is familiar, she has already noticed the dent in her neighbour's car, along with a blood stain or a piece of hair and as Harvey dream ended with a phone call, Janet realises as their phone rings, one of their daughters is dead.

Rest Stop ~

'Rest Stop' is the story of John Dykstra who writes under the pen name of Rick Hardin who stops at a rest stop after having a few beers. At the rest stop he hears a couple fighting in the ladies bathroom, John decides to do something, something completely out of character.

Stationary Bike ~

'Stationary Bike' is the story of Richard Sifkitz, a commercial artist, who has been widowed for a few years, following a check up, his doctor warns him of his high cholesterol level and advises him to lose weight. Richard buys a stationary bike and finds himself lost in a world he has created which slowly becomes reality.

The Things They Left Behind ~

'The Things They Left Behind' is the story of Scott Staley, a survivor of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre, he worked for the fictional 'Light and Bell Insurance' on the 110th floor. On that fateful day, an inner voice told him which he calls the 'Mr Yow, Git Down' (In honour of James Brown) to not go to work and enjoy the sun. Scott suffers survivor's guilt because he never went to work, then Scott begins to find items in his house that belonged to his work colleagues, items he knows were in the tower, what does this mean for Scott?

Graduation Afternoon ~

'Graduation Afternoon' is the story of a young woman who witnesses the destruction of Manhattan following a nuclear attack.

N ~

'N' is the story of a man who suffers from OCD and seeks help from a psychiatrist after he unintentionally opens a portal to another world, the only way he can make the world safe is to count and check everything, as the story progressed, his OCD becomes more obsessive.

The Cat from Hell ~

'The Cat from Hell' is the story of a professional hitman who is offered $12.000 to kill a cat, a cat who may or may have killed the friends and family of a man who runs a pharmaceutical company which tested their products on cats. The hitman agrees to do the job but this cat is not your average cat.

The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates ~

'The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates' is the story of a widow who lost her husband two days previously in an aeroplane crash, she is somewhat surprised when she gets a phone call from her husband in the afterlife, warning her of things to come.

Mute ~

'Mute' is the story of Monette, a travelling salesman who sits in a confessional telling the priest the story of his wife's affair and eventual death, and the mute hitch hiker who may have helped more than he realised.

Ayana ~

'Ayana' is the story of a family waiting for their terminally ill father to pass away until a young blind girl called Ayana appears and helps them and leaves a lasting impression in more ways than one.

A Very Tight Place ~

'A Very Tight Place' is the story of Curtis Johnson who is in the middle of a ongoing legal dispute with his neighbour, Tim Grunwald over land and the death of Curtis's beloved dog, Betsy. Tim invites Curtis to his construction site to finally settle matters between them but its not what Tim is intended to do it all, he has other plans for Curtis and it involves a portable toilet.

What I thought of 'Just After Sunset' ~

I am a BIG of Stephen King and as much as I love his novels, I love his short stories more and 'Just After Sunset' is another memorable collection. My favourite stories were 'The Gingerbread Girl', 'The Things They Left Behind' (which left me with a lump in throat), 'The Cat from Hell', 'The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates' and 'A Very Tight Place' (which will make you feel slightly sick). Stephen King has an amazing talent showing individuals at their best and their worst and making them realistic, people you can identify with. Stephen King is so much more than a horror writer.

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 and ¾ by Sue Townsend ~ Started: 28.01.12 ~ Finished: 28.01.12

Title of Book: The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 and ¾

Name of Author: Sue Townsend

Paperback

ISBN-10: 0141046422

ISBN-13: 978-0141046426

Number of Pages: 336

19.jpg

Synopsis ~

The 30th anniversary edition of the bestselling novel of the 1980s: The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 and ¾ by comic genius Sue Townsend. Featuring a new introduction by comedian and actor David Walliams as well as over sixty pages of extra material about Adrian Mole, his friends and family.

Friday January 2nd.

I felt rotten today. It's my mother's fault for singing 'My Way' at two o'clock in the morning at the top of the stairs. Just my luck to have a mother like her. There is a chance my parents could be alcoholics. Next year I could be in a children's home.

Meet Adrian Mole, a hapless teenager providing an unabashed, pimples-and-all glimpse into adolescent life. Writing candidly about his parents' marital troubles, the dog, his life as a tortured poet and 'misunderstood intellectual', Adrian's painfully honest diary is still hilarious and compelling reading thirty years after it first appeared.

I have lost count how many times I have read 'The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole' and it still makes me laugh, Adrian's insights are hilarious and memorable. Over the years I have read all of the Adrian Mole books and they are all as funny as each other, Adrian's Dad, George makes me laugh the most.

With the 30th Anniversary version there is a foreword by David Walliams (of 'Little Britain' fame), its nice to see how much effect Adrian Mole had on everyone.

Edited by Weave

20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse by Lee Emerick ~ Started: 29.01.12 ~ Finished: 29.01.12

Title of Book: 20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse

Name of Author: Lee Emerick

Kindle Edition

File Size: 233 KB

ASIN: B004HO5Z5K

20.jpg

Synopsis ~

Harriette Madyson is the last woman alive. Twenty years ago her world came to an end when a zombie plague engulfed the population of Earth. At the tender age of seven she found herself in a nightmarish situation where the dead literally returned to life. Left with little to use and nowhere to hide Harri now finds herself stalked across the frozen desolate landscape of North America pursued by the former love of her life. All that she has to keep her going is the hope that she can make it home to die in peace.

The Story ~

'20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse' is the story of Harriette Madyson, the last woman following the zombie plague which destroyed the world. Harriette lost her parents when she was 7 years old and subsequently lost more people as she got older whilst trying to survive.

As the story progressed Harriette wants to go home, her real home where she left her parents twenty years ago, Harriette knows she is dying and wants to be with the people she loves.

What I thought of '20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse' ~

The plot was interesting but the grammatical errors were awful (missing commas, names changing, etc) which ruined the story for me.

Rating: 2/5

Adrian Mole is someone I want to revisit too. Thanks for your review Paula, I haven't read all of the books, probably just the first three, but I've started collecting them recently and look forward to reading my way through them. I'm going to go back to the beginning (and I love the look of the new edition) and laugh my head off all over again :lol:

House of Silence by Linda Gillard ~ Started: 30.01.12 ~ Finished: 01.02.12

Title of Book: House of Silence

Name of Author: Linda Gillard

Kindle Edition

File Size: 1125 KB

ASIN: B004USSPN2

22.jpg

Synopsis ~

"My friends describe me as frighteningly sensible, not at all the sort of woman who would fall for an actor. And his home. And his family."

Orphaned by drink, drugs and rock n' roll, Gwen Rowland is invited to spend Christmas at her boyfriend Alfie's family home, Creake Hall - a ramshackle Tudor manor in Norfolk. She's excited about the prospect of a proper holiday with a proper family, but soon after she arrives, Gwen senses something isn't quite right. Alfie acts strangely toward his family and is reluctant to talk about the past. His mother, a celebrated children's author, keeps to her room, living in a twilight world, unable to distinguish between past and present, fact and fiction. And then there's the enigma of an old family photograph...

When Gwen discovers fragments of forgotten family letters sewn into an old patchwork quilt, she starts to piece together the jigsaw of the past and realises there's more to the family history than she's been told. It seems there are things people don't want her to know.

And one of those people is Alfie...

The Story ~

'House of Silence' is the story of Gwen, a woman with a terrible past who is still living with her grief. Gwen meets Alfie on the set of a regency drama, Gwen works in wardrobe while Alfie has a small part. Gwen and Alfie begin seeing each other, at times, Alfie is remote and secretive which Gwen finds confusing but wants to be a part of his life. Alfie reluctantly takes Gwen to his family home at Creake Hall for Christmas. Alfie shows animosity towards his family which confuses Gwen further but as their time begins at Creake Hall, Gwen finds out more and more secrets about Alfie and his family. What will Gwen do?

What I thought of 'House of Silence' ~

I have read three books by Linda Gillard so far, 'Emotional Geology', 'A Lifetime's Burning' and 'Star Gazing', I enjoyed them all immensely, as I did with 'House of Silence'.

Linda Gillard has a amazing talent in her creation and development of characters, characters that you care about and identify with. With 'House of Silence' all of the characters are memorable and leave a lasting impression. Gwen, the main character is down to earth, talented, likeable and strong. Her background has left her troubled, Gwen's is still coping with her grief but has created a front to show the world that she is coping.

Alfie was very much a complex character, at times you did not know why he acted the way he did and as the story progressed, you realise he had reached a point where he did not know how to act, did not know who he was.

Along with Gwen, Marek was my favourite character, the mysterious Polish gardener (which added even more to his mystique) he was a subtle character but made a impact, like the rest of the characters he had a past, which he faced as best he could and tried to moved on.

Alfie's sisters and mother were also well written characters, they had lived with secrets and it showed in Creake Hall, at times, the house seemed claustrophobic despite the size, all of the secrets weighting the people who lived there down.

'House of Silence' is a mystery with a difference and keeps you thinking to the end.

A definite must read, read it as soon as you can.

Edited by Weave

I'm a big Stephen King fan, but don't think I have read Just After Sunset yet, it looks a great read! I'm off to add it and any book by Linda Gillard to my wish list, thanks for the reviews Weave!

You are very welcome Ooshie :) Its a great collection of stories by Stephen King and 'House of Silence' is also a great read. :)

I have Just After Sunset on my tbr pile. I like to have a book of short stories and read a couple in between longer length books. Glad you enjoyed this :)

I'm the same Ruth, I like the short stories so I can go back to it between other books. It was really good, Stephen King writes such great short stories. Happy reading hen. :)

Weave

House of Silence sounds very good. Thanks for the review !

Not a problem Julie, I hope you enjoy it too. :)