Inver's Reading List 2012

Inver

'Rescue' by Anita Shreve

A little while since I read one by Anita and to start with I thought it was a bit slow but it picked up and I enjoyed it enough to finish. Not an overly taxing read, and perhaps not her best I have read. A simple tale of Peter a rookie paramedic who is called to the scene of an emergency call. The young woman in the car, Sheila survives and he is drawn to her and wants to know about her recovery. They eventually begin and love affair and the outcome produces their daughter.....but life is not all plain sailing as Sheila has a drink problem and on more that one occasion puts their daughter in danger. Things change and eighteeen years pass and Peter has raised Rowan alone. Bringing up a teenager alone is not easy and he seeks out Sheila once more for help. However, Rowan ends up in hospital and brings the two of them together.....they fear for their daughters life.

3.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Vanishing Acts' by Jodi Picoult

I don't often give up on a book but sorry to say I did with this one. Didn't enjoy the plot/characters and some of the chapters I found a bit disturbing (prison/jail, just don't like).

1/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Dancing in a Distant Place' by Isla Dewar

I needed some easy reading after giving up on my last book. This one had been on my shelf for a while. I like Isla Dewar, probably something to do with her being a Scottish writer.

Iris is a teacher. Happily married, two teenage children and a husband she thinks she knows. Here husband dies in a car accident and they have to come to terms with their loss. That seems bad enough until she discovers they have no money, no home....he had gambled everything away. She has to make the decision of moving and taking the children with her, she take on the position of 'Missie' at a country school in a remote glen. She pupils become her life, and takes on her pupils problems, one by one....a stammerer, a wee boy who refuses to talk and the usual hum drum of the classroom. Rumours around the village start when she administers changes to they usual way of teaching, but the local community slowly accept her. Iris is so taken up with her new ways that she doesn't notice her own children sliding of the straight and narrow.

I loved all the characters and I laughed on occasions.....Colin and his knitted swimming trunks..lol. A simple, cosy read.

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Slippery When Wet' by Martin Goodman

In a word awful, can't even be bothered trying to write anything, didn't like the characters, story or the way it was written, don't know why I kept reading it....short and quick.

1/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Friends, Lovers, Chocolate' by Alexander McCall Smith

Isabel the philosopher meets Ian the heart transplant patient and he tells her he is experiencing memories which he thinks is related to the new heart! So the story begins as she digs deep to find out where his new heart came from and possibly jumps to the wrong conclusion to quickly.

I expected more to this book. Not having read any of No.1, but heard a lot of good reviews about them I came across this one and wanted to give it a go given the location being Edinburgh. Lots of familiar places recognised within, but I didn't get an awful lot of satisfaction from the read. It trundles along well enough but I kept waiting for the plot to thicken as it were. I did enjoy the characters though, Grace the housekeeper for one...she seemed very down to earth. As for it being a mystery, that didn't really appear to be what it was about in the normal sense of the word. Lots of philosopher talk and references which I didn't understand so skimmed over. The outcome was reasonable though and I understood and accepted Isabel's explanation.

One thing I did love was the cover of the book, one of the reasons I was attracted to it I think. I love the art work Alexander McCall Smith finds for his covers. But disappointed there wasn't as much reference to 'chocolate' as the title would lead you to believe....lol.

3/5

Good review Diane, but you're right about the plot. Although the books in this series essentially have a mystery plot to drive the narrative forward, this is actually a minor part of the book, and there is a lot of ethics and philosophy in there which make them, for me at least, very contemplative books. I like to read how Isabel's mind works through the morals and ethics of her various decisions and dilemmas, but I can understand how they are not for everyone.

The covers of Alexander's books are always tempting .. but I haven't bought one since early on in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series because, though I enjoyed them, I didn't enjoy them enough and you have to draw a line somewhere or there'd be no room at home to swing a cat :o

I liked your review of Slippery When Wet Diane .. 'In a word awful' :D

The covers of Alexander's books are always tempting .. but I haven't bought one since early on in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series because, though I enjoyed them, I didn't enjoy them enough and you have to draw a line somewhere or there'd be no room at home to swing a cat :o

I came to the same conclusion about the books, but unfortunately it came after I'd bought about 10-15 of his books. I've given them all to my Mum now.

'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins

Well having heard so much about this book and receiving a copy from a BCF bookie pal, I read it (you know who you are... :smile:.) I wasn't sure it was going to be quite my kind of read, but have to say once I got a grip of the plot I was hooked. Well written and a bit of a page turner in the end. The characters were great, plot original, although the thought of if actually becoming reality TV could be a bit worrying! Although I have to say reading it before going to sleep may not be the best plan....am sure I was running around hiding and looking for things in a dream one night!

Like others I was a wee bit disappointed by the way it came to an end....but def need to read the other two in the trilogy. Hope I won't be disappointed. :readingtwo:

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Turning Point' by Bowering Sivers

Another easy read. I enjoyed this one. Simple storyline, Ruth of a certain age (40's) has had a heart attack. She lives at home with her mother and has to come to terms with what she has just gone through. Here mother looks after her but she feels she is being smothered and bit and needs to try to break free a bit. Two men come in to her life, one an artistic designer who could offer her a career change and the other a younger artistic director who falls in love with her. Who will she choose! This may well be the 'turning point' in her life, but will it turn out well.

This is a Transita read, who have published books about women of a certain age, the older reader.

3.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Tell-Tale' by Sam Hayes

Well that was a good read. Thanks to Michelle for getting me a copy of this one sent a good while ago.

Started off not being quite sure about it and took a while to settle in to who the character(s) were but then I was page turning at quite a fast rate. The subject matter could be a bit controvertial for some and I wasn't too sure how much detail there was going to be, but there was just enough not to put me off continuing. The twist was very much unexpected, and I felt it added to the final outcome.

I have another Sam Hayes on my shelf (Someone Else's Son) and will definitely be adding that to the TBR pile.

4/5

'Turning Point' by Bowering Sivers

Another easy read. I enjoyed this one. Simple storyline, Ruth of a certain age (40's) has had a heart attack. She lives at home with her mother and has to come to terms with what she has just gone through. Here mother looks after her but she feels she is being smothered and bit and needs to try to break free a bit. Two men come in to her life, one an artistic designer who could offer her a career change and the other a younger artistic director who falls in love with her. Who will she choose! This may well be the 'turning point' in her life, but will it turn out well.

This is a Transita read, who have published books about women of a certain age, the older reader.

3.5/5

Why can't she have both?

• 4 weeks later...

'Home to Big Stone Gap' by Adriana Trigiani

Having read The Big Stone Gap trilogy a few years ago and thoroghly enjoyed them I had forgotten I had this follow up one on the shelf. I was looking for a holiday read and this one filled it. It was lovely to be taken back to the old familiar characters, although it did take a wee while to remember some of them.

A gentle read that takes us forward in time to 1998. Jack and Ave are older and miss their daughter Etta who married and stayed in Italy. Life and time is taking its toll on them both and Jack ends up in hospital. This shakes Ave and brings to light things she would have to cope with had Jack died. A stranger is in town and threatens to ruin a close friendship with one of her best friends, however over time this resolves itself and amends are made and explanations are given. An opportunity arises for Jack and Ave to visit Scotland (a wish Jack has had for many a year to go back to family roots). This gives them both time for reflection and they come back much more appreciative of the life they have and also to let the strings of close family ties loosen a little for her daughter to live her own life in Italy.

All in all I enjoyed this read and also give me food for thought on occasions about life.

4/5

• 4 weeks later...

'That Certain Age' by Elizabeth Buchan

Very much of a yawn by the end of this and I actually wondered at one point what the story was about. Two women 50 years apart, different lifestyles and supposedly a connection, where it was I don't actually know apart from the baby issue, and then it popped up right at the end. If there was any other reference earlier on I missed it. I'm sorry but that is hours of reading I will not get back. The characters weren't jump of the page either I'm afraid. Don't bother.

1/5

• 2 weeks later...

'One Good Turn' by Kate Atkinson

This is the second of the Jackson Brodie books. I did enjoy Case Histories and I hoped this was going to as good a read. Slightly disappointed with it but it may be because I took too long to read it and I was losing interest at points. There was a lot of jumping about and I found there were too many characters at times too that I couldn't remember who they were and what they had done within the plot. Enjoyed the fact it was taking place in Edinburgh and recognised places mentioned.

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Catching Fire' by Suzanne Collins

Finally got to grips with this book. Was a bit slow to start with and a bit samey as 'The Hunger Games' but I plodded on with it and glad I finished it. Some interesting new characters and a bit of a twist and unexpected towards the end. I definitely need to read the last in the trilogy to find out the outcome. Need to get a copy first though.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Afterwards' by Rosamund Lupton

Well that was a good, intriguing, bit of a page-turner of a read. I know I could/should have read this quicker, but got there in the end. I had read her previous book 'Sister' and loved it.

A school sports on a sunny summers day, is darkened by black smoke coming from the school. Grace, one mother there is the one to notice the smoke and runs towards the school desperately seeking her 8yr old son Adam, who she knows has gone inside the school and also her daughter Jenny. Can she save them both? The outcome is devasting for the family and both injured.

Afterwards, Grace is determined to find the identity of who started the fire and put herself and her daughter in hospital. Herself in a coma due to head injuries and Jenny with severe burns and unconcious. Will they both survive?

The events in the book take place in and around the school and hospital. This is a book of mystery and at times frustrating as the story is told by Grace, who talks and refers to her husband as 'you'. The only other person who can hear her is Jenny. Jenny and Grace are caught between life and death and are overlooking the investigation by her sister in law, Sarah (a policewoman). It took a few chapters to get used to the narration being Grace and Jenny, but that in a way only added to the mystery of the plot and the closeness of mother and daughter grew. Sometimes I was confused as to who was talking though. There were plenty of other characters and twists and turns that keep you guessing who the arsonist was and I hadn't worked it out by the end.

There is an emotional ending that I shed a small tear over, but that is all I am saying.

4/5

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

'The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals' by Wendy Jones

I was fortunate enough to be sent a free copy of this one via Michelle and her contacts. I was looking for something simple and reasonably quick to read and this fitted the bill perfectly.

Set in 1924 in a quiet Welsh villiage, a simple storyline and characters. Wilfred is the local funeral director. He proposes out of the blue to a local lass and then quickly regrets doing so. He tries to amend the situation but finds it difficult to voice his feelings. Things get complicated and another young lass catches his eye while carrying out a funeral. The village is small and any out of the ordinary day to day events would soon be gossiped about, and folks reputations scarred. The characters develop well and the complications dealt with in a sensitive way.

This is a lovely, gently written book with likeable character. I enjoyed it, if a bit slow to start, but it ended up being a little bit of a page turner. If you want to know how it turns out, you will have to read it.... ;)

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger

This one had been on the TBR pile for quite sometime and had forgotten I had borrowed it from my sister. She did say once you start it you will be hooked and she was right.

The opening chapter starts with the death of the main character Elspeth and was very touching. This sets the scene for the book. Elspeth had lived in a flat overlooking Highgate Cemetery in London, but after her death she leaves everything including the flat to her twin nieces, whom she has never met, with two conditions, they live in the flat for a year and on no account must they let their mother cross the threshold. The girls didn't know of their aunt's existence until the letter from the solicitor arrives. They depart for London slightly against their parents wishes but they are both keen for the adventure. They do everything together and have never spent a day apart.

Everything is new to them, never having been in London before and they set out to adapt to a new way of life. Living next to a graveyard is strange but exciting. The neighbours appear a bit of a hotchpotch of characters, an obsessive crossword writer who never leaves his flat and his wife leaves him, to their aunt's mysterious and elusive lover. Slowly they learn secrets about their aunt and eventually they are aware of a presence in the flat that they assume is Elspeth. Valentina is more receptive to her presence and they eventually communicate via writing etc. and both get used to sharing the flat with a ghost.

I don't want to give too much away, but this develops into a ghost story with a lot of feeling and sensitivity. I was accepting of this and found it quite comforting, but then I felt it got a bit far fetched and silly in parts. However it didn't deter finishing. There were a couple of twists towards the end that I wasn't expecting too, which added to the suspense, although I was slightly disappointed in the ending, but not quite sure what I was expecting. All in all an enjoyable read but not quite as good as 'The Time Traveller's Wife'.

4/5

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

'Keeping Up With Magda' by Isla Dewar

Isla Dewar always writes about everyday life in everyday kind of situations. Based in Mareth a Scottish fishing village where everyone knows everyone and their business. A close knit community with the hub of it being the Ocean Cafe, run buy 'don't mess wi me' Magda, who would not confess to having a big heart. She tells things like it is and you take it or leave it.

Jessie Tate comes to the village and rents the flat above the cafe and is soon sucked into the way of the village, but she is trying to come to terms with a great loss in her life. She can forget having a life of complete peace and quiet and is woken every morning with the morning rituals of the village, Magda playing her dated rock'n'roll at full pelt while opening up the cafe, Granny Moran feeding the seagulls, the constant ongoing work on the pier. Will she decide to stay or find herself back to her old life in the city?

A book filled with wonderful, down to earth characters. Laughs and tears along the way and moving at times too. A short read but worthwhile.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'House of Silence' by Linda Gillard

Well what can I say, but ... I knew I would love it having read and loved Linda's other books. I waited patiently for this one to become available via printing my Amazon and was engrossed right away. I loved all the characters and the idea of the big house having secrets that unfold throughout was page turning. Gwen meets Alfie and is whisked away to Creake Hall to spend Christmas with him, but Alfie seems different when he goes back to the family home, but he only visits once a year, at Christmas....why? She meets his sisters and his mother, an author, but hardly ever leaves her room, and hasn't done so in years, due to a breakdown, but what caused it? Gwen begins to have her suspisions that Alfie is not who he says he is, the plot thickens. Tyler the gardener, befriends her and eventually she confides in him when she finds letters in amongst some unfinished patchwork quilting.

The plot unfolds page by page with a few unexpected twists I wasn't expecting. I loved it. It was nice to see references to quilting again with a mystery to tell. With a jumble of wonderful characters, I liked Hattie and the relationship she had with Gwen for their love of sewing and quilting, which in time unearths the mystery.

Thanks Linda for writing yet another page turner.

5/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Last Christmas' by Julia Williams

I usually try to find a book with 'Christmas' in the title in December to read for the run up to Christmas itself. I had this one lying in wait from last year.

Set in a village community and a lovely wee jumble of characters it set the mood for my read. Although I did find the jumping back and forward from Last Christmas a bit annoying at times. I liked the main character Marianne and hoped all would turn out for the best as she treads carefully with her friendship with Gabriel and his son Stephen. Cat and her blog, living in an ideal perfect world, but underneath her family and life throws more than her fair share of complications, and she knows nothing of the possible redundancy her husband is facing.I know from experience how she felt too when here mother turns ill and decisions have to be made for her care. Noel wonders if there is a way he can help avoid the building of a new Eco village, but he has his work cut out.

The fight to save the community Post Office sums up how close nit they are in the village and when bad weather damages the village hall they all help out people in need.

The village and characters all hope for a Christmas miracle and are unaware there is one in their lives already, helping things along the way.

This book ticked the box for an easy Christmas read.

4/5