Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Finished The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - the funniest book I have read in a long while - absolutely hilarious and filled with real belly laughs.

#42 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Finished Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Equivel yesterday (for Mexico). This was another brilliantly written book which I thoroughly enjoyed - definately one of the best I have read this year.

#43 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Finished The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - the funniest book I have read in a long while - absolutely hilarious and filled with real belly laughs.

What country is this for, June? The title alone makes it intriguing!

Finished Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Equivel yesterday (for Mexico). This was another brilliantly written book which I thoroughly enjoyed - definately one of the best I have read this year.

I have this on my list for Mexico so I'm glad to hear you loved it. :)

#44 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,570 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm sure I saw the film of Like Water For Chocolate and enjoyed it, but it was a good few years ago, and I only really recognise the title! I didn't know it was a book, but I like the sound of it, so I've added to my wishlist.

#45 julie

julie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,073 posts
  • Reading now?:yes
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for the reference on this book . I put it on my wish list .It's coming out for kindle next month,so will pick up on it . :)

#46 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

What country is this for, June? The title alone makes it intriguing!
:)

Sorry, I forgot to say - it's Sweden. It's a really, really funny book, and a complete exercise in urine extraction ...

#47 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I haven't been reading that much lately - partly due to the Olympics and partly because I have just been so tired and so have been going to bed early instead ! I have though managed to get through 2 more countries - Delirium by Laura Restrepo for Colombia (a very strange book that I am not sure I completely understood), and A Carpet Ride to Khiva by Christopher Aslan Alexander for Uzbekistan. This was a really good book that I most definately understood, part travelogue, part biography, part expose about the corruption in this former Soviet state. One that I would definately recommend.

#48 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have got a bit behind with the reviews and with keeping this thread up to date, but have managed to get through a few more countries since my last post.

Russia - Sarah Quigley - the Conductor (author born in New Zealand, but book set in Russia during the siege of Leningrad)
Scotland - Lillian Beckwith - The Hills is Lonely
Denmark - The Vanishing Act - Matte Jakobsen
Finland - The Summer Book - Tove Janssen

Next on the list is Egypt and after that either Iraq or Lebanon.

#49 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I have completed 2 more countries - Egypt - Sipping from the Nile by Jean Naggar - a difficult read for me about a family of Jews who were forced to flee the country during the Suez crisis, and the somewhat better Somewhere Home by Nada Awar Jarrar for Lebanon.

I have also added another country (Palestine) to my list in accordance with the UN's recent announcement. I already have a Palestinian book lined up as my next read!

Edited by Talisman, 02 December 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#50 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Finished another country - this time Iran - The Cypress Tree by Kamin Mohammadi. This was a wonderfully descriptive and thought provoking read, that I would definately recommend.

Edited by Talisman, 09 December 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#51 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Completed A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka for Ukraine and have now started Once Upon a Country - A Palestinian Life by Sari Nusseibeh for Palestine. Hopefully I will manage to complete it before the year is out. This will mean I have read a total of 63 books this year from a further 28 countries, which is not bad at all.

Edited by Talisman, 03 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#52 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Finished my third book of 2013 last night - The Granta Book of the African Short Story - an anthology of African short stories and novel extracts. This was an opportunity to complete another 13 countries - Kenya, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Senegal, Morocco, Gambia, Uganda, Sudan, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Angola and Guinea - in the one book, so for me was brilliant. The stories were pretty good too, with only one exception.

#53 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,676 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

You're on fire, June! :) Do you have any particular goals for this year regarding this challenge? Good luck for 2013, I hope you find some amazing reads this year, too!

#54 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I haven't set myself any goals if I am honest, other than to simply enjoy the books that I read. Having completed 28 countries last year, I suppose it would be nice to at least equal that this year - judging by what I have read so far I shouldn't have too many problems !

#55 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,676 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

28 countries in one year is pretty superb :D Enjoy :)

#56 bree

bree

• Advanced Member
  • 1,013 posts
  • Reading now?:Strawberry Girl ~ Lois Lenski
  • Locationin the Himalayas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

28 countries in one year is pretty superb :D

It is indeed!
Have a good reading year Talisman :)

#57 julie

julie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,073 posts
  • Reading now?:yes
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I haven't set myself any goals if I am honest, other than to simply enjoy the books that I read. Having completed 28 countries last year, I suppose it would be nice to at least equal that this year - judging by what I have read so far I shouldn't have too many problems !

That sounds like a much more sensible approach . I need to use the same system,just read whatever I want and no pressure to complete it at a certain date or anything. Just read ...

#58 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Finished 2 more countries in the last week - Monica Ali's Brick Lane for Bangladesh and for the small country of Togo in West Africa - Do They Hear You When You Cry by Layli Miller Bashir and Fauziya Kassinga. This is an incredible book, and the best that I have read in a long while. The true story of a young Togolese woman who was forced to flee her own country for the US and claim political asylum in order to avoid to forced polygamous marriage and female circumcison. Her case made legal history and set a precedance in the US as the first woman to be granted asylum on these grounds. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story and has a reasonably strong stomach, as some of the descriptions of what they do to these women are pretty graphic.

Edited by Talisman, 04 March 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#59 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I am off to Lundy for 11 nights later on today (13 nights allowing for an overnight stay at either end of the trip), and have downloaed books from another 4 countries to keep me company - Dominican Republic, Malaysia, Kosovo and Mali - I also have one each from Iceland and the US. By the time I get back I should have hopefully added at least 3 more countries then to the list.     

#60 Alexi

Alexi

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,539 posts
  • Reading now?:Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hi June. The book you read for Togo sounds absolutely fascinating! I said I would try and stick to fiction for this challenge (there will be countries where there just isn't enough translated material I'm sure) but I might try and pick this up anyway whether I end up counting it or not. Sounds an incredible read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users