Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Just back back from a weeks holiday on Lundy, where I slept, walked, read and ate, pretty much in that order. All four were quite prolific - at a rough estimate I walked around 40 miles during the week, and managed to get through 4 books. Two have been added to this list - Chronicle in Stone by Ismail Kadare for Albania, and Drums on the Night Air by Veronica Cecil for Congo. Ismail Kadare was born in Albania, but Veronica Cecil was not born in the Congo. The book is about her experiences of living there, with her husband during the 1960's.

I have needless to say fot a bit behind with the reviews, but I will try and bring them up to date in the next day or so.

Edited by Talisman, 12 March 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#22 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Completed another country last night - Algeria. What the Day Owes the Night by Yasmina Khadra. The author despite the female name, is actually man, a former Officer in the Algerian Army, who used a pseudonym in order to avoid military censorship. He now lives in France. This though really was a good book, one of the best I have been so far this year, reading it was almost like listening to a beautiful song, as the way that he writes is almost poetic, with a lyrical quality to the words, and the way thet he describes what is happening to the lead character. I wish more of his books were converted to Kindle so that I could read them too.

#23 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, June - I will add it to my suggestions list! :)

ETA: I see I have one by this author, The Attack, on my list already, but this one sounds excellent, so I guess it depends which I come across first! :)

Edited by Janet, 26 March 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#24 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Indeed. I think where possible it is good to read a book that is not only written by someone born in that country, but one that is also set there, and from what I have seen, most of his other books are set in other countries. They do look good as well though !

Edited by Talisman, 26 March 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#25 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Finished Zimbabwe - Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace. Another excellent book by a British born author who has lived in Zimbabwe since 1983.

#26 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Finished Estonia - Purge by Sofi Oksanen. The author was born in Finland and is half Estonian on her mother's side, with the book set in Estonia. This was a dark and at times disturbing read, right up my street. Highly recommended.

Edited by Talisman, 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#27 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,329 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

This one is on my TBR pile (as opposed to my Kindling 'pile'). It has been calling out to me from the shelf, so it may very well be read by me soon! I'm glad to see that you recommend it. :smile:

#28 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Finished Estonia - Purge by Sofi Oksanen. The author was born in Finland and is half Estonian on her mother's side, with the book set in Estonia. This was a dark and at times disturbing read, right up my street. Highly recommended.

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it, it's one of my favorite Finnish novels ever :smile2:

This one is on my TBR pile (as opposed to my Kindling 'pile'). It has been calling out to me from the shelf, so it may very well be read by me soon! I'm glad to see that you recommend it. :smile:

I heartily recommend it, too! :smile2:

#29 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

Finished Rwanda - Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron. It was the Kindle Deal of the Day a week or so ago. Although slow to begin with, it did get going about halfway through, although for me it lacked the grittiness of the more similar 'real life' stories I have read from similar parts of the world. This is it has to be said is not a tale about the genocide par se, but very much a tale about an individual. Nevertheless it is a good story, and one that I did enjoy once I got into it, but I prefer the real life tales that I have read, such as Tracy Kidder's Strength in What Remains.

Edited by Talisman, 26 April 2012 - 06:44 AM.

#30 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Completed Turkey last night - Ali and Ramazan by Perihan Magden.

#31 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Completed Pakistan - Partitions by Amit Majmundar - another great read that I recommend.

Now completed 48 out of 230 countries - not many left to go then !

Edited by Talisman, 24 May 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#32 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Finished Portugal - Last Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier. I found this a very difficult and laborious read - not one of the best I have read this year.

Edited by Talisman, 02 June 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#33 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just back a few days ago from my summer holiday to the Isles of Scilly. I managed to get through 6 books during the 2 weeks, but only one more country - Hungary - The Door by Magda Szabo. This really struck a chord with me, as the book is about a writers relationship with her ageing housekeeper. Given the fact that I am a writer, and also a housekeeper in a nursing home, this gave me plenty to think about.

I also completed another book from Saudi Arabia (a country that I have already completed) that others may be interested in - The Consequences of Love by Addonia Sulaiman.

Edited by Talisman, 27 June 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#34 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I said in the 'Book Activity...' thread but I like the sound of The Door - I've added it to my challenge list. :)

#35 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

It was one of the better books I have read this year - very thought provoking.

#36 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,670 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Not sure if this book depository link will be any use to you June? They are doing 'Round the world in 12 days!'

http://www.bookdepos...&a_bid=bac1cf0e

#37 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks - will have a look.

#38 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi June - posted this in Janet's thread as well, but thought you might find it useful too: http://www.readsouth....blogspot.co.uk

#39 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

I have got a bit behind with the challenge for the moment, and with my reviews also, but in the last few weeks I have managed to complete at least one more country - Romania - The Appointment by Herta Mueller. I am curently about two thirds through a German book - Fatal Tango by Wolfram Fleischhauer, which is okay but could be better. It is set partly in Argentina as well.

The next book on the list is for Isle of Man - Mark Cavendish' autobiography (up to 2009 at least) Boy Racer.

#40 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Finished Boy Racer by Mark Cavendish for the Isle of Man (a Manx man born and bred) a few days ago and am now about 40 percent through The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson for Sweden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users