June's Around the World Book Challenge

Talisman

Finished Estonia - Purge by Sofi Oksanen. The author was born in Finland and is half Estonian on her mother's side, with the book set in Estonia. This was a dark and at times disturbing read, right up my street. Highly recommended.

Edited by Talisman

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Estonia - Purge by Sofi Oksanen. The author was born in Finland and is half Estonian on her mother's side, with the book set in Estonia. This was a dark and at times disturbing read, right up my street. Highly recommended.

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it, it's one of my favorite Finnish novels ever :smile2:

This one is on my TBR pile (as opposed to my Kindling 'pile'). It has been calling out to me from the shelf, so it may very well be read by me soon! I'm glad to see that you recommend it. :smile:

I heartily recommend it, too! :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Rwanda - Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron. It was the Kindle Deal of the Day a week or so ago. Although slow to begin with, it did get going about halfway through, although for me it lacked the grittiness of the more similar 'real life' stories I have read from similar parts of the world. This is it has to be said is not a tale about the genocide par se, but very much a tale about an individual. Nevertheless it is a good story, and one that I did enjoy once I got into it, but I prefer the real life tales that I have read, such as Tracy Kidder's Strength in What Remains.

Edited by Talisman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back a few days ago from my summer holiday to the Isles of Scilly. I managed to get through 6 books during the 2 weeks, but only one more country - Hungary - The Door by Magda Szabo. This really struck a chord with me, as the book is about a writers relationship with her ageing housekeeper. Given the fact that I am a writer, and also a housekeeper in a nursing home, this gave me plenty to think about.

I also completed another book from Saudi Arabia (a country that I have already completed) that others may be interested in - The Consequences of Love by Addonia Sulaiman.

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...

I have got a bit behind with the challenge for the moment, and with my reviews also, but in the last few weeks I have managed to complete at least one more country - Romania - The Appointment by Herta Mueller. I am curently about two thirds through a German book - Fatal Tango by Wolfram Fleischhauer, which is okay but could be better. It is set partly in Argentina as well.

The next book on the list is for Isle of Man - Mark Cavendish' autobiography (up to 2009 at least) Boy Racer.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Equivel yesterday (for Mexico). This was another brilliantly written book which I thoroughly enjoyed - definately one of the best I have read this year.

Finished The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - the funniest book I have read in a long while - absolutely hilarious and filled with real belly laughs.

What country is this for, June? The title alone makes it intriguing!

Finished Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Equivel yesterday (for Mexico). This was another brilliantly written book which I thoroughly enjoyed - definately one of the best I have read this year.

I have this on my list for Mexico so I'm glad to hear you loved it. :)

What country is this for, June? The title alone makes it intriguing!

:)

Sorry, I forgot to say - it's Sweden. It's a really, really funny book, and a complete exercise in urine extraction ...

• 1 month later...

I haven't been reading that much lately - partly due to the Olympics and partly because I have just been so tired and so have been going to bed early instead ! I have though managed to get through 2 more countries - Delirium by Laura Restrepo for Colombia (a very strange book that I am not sure I completely understood), and A Carpet Ride to Khiva by Christopher Aslan Alexander for Uzbekistan. This was a really good book that I most definately understood, part travelogue, part biography, part expose about the corruption in this former Soviet state. One that I would definately recommend.

• 1 month later...

I have got a bit behind with the reviews and with keeping this thread up to date, but have managed to get through a few more countries since my last post.

Russia - Sarah Quigley - the Conductor (author born in New Zealand, but book set in Russia during the siege of Leningrad)

Scotland - Lillian Beckwith - The Hills is Lonely

Denmark - The Vanishing Act - Matte Jakobsen

Finland - The Summer Book - Tove Janssen

Next on the list is Egypt and after that either Iraq or Lebanon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed 2 more countries - Egypt - Sipping from the Nile by Jean Naggar - a difficult read for me about a family of Jews who were forced to flee the country during the Suez crisis, and the somewhat better Somewhere Home by Nada Awar Jarrar for Lebanon.

I have also added another country (Palestine) to my list in accordance with the UN's recent announcement. I already have a Palestinian book lined up as my next read!

Edited by Talisman