Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I'd started Cryptonomicon on the 1st actually, but haven't managed much in the way of reading till now. I'm 10% in, all accomplished today, as I started over...had to. The characters are a little confusing at first. Especially if left for a couple of days after only reading a teensy bit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is wise and well. It wouldn't be fair to totally close it off from him. He likes watching through the window :)

Aww, yeah. He loves looking out the window. I've taken to leaving my bedroom window open at night while I'm working/lazing around downstairs, and I don't see him for most of the night because he's glued to that window!

Try and beat that, missy.

Is that a challenge? ;)

Besides, I won't be buying any more books as per my rules of book buying on my reading log. I can control myself. Unlike some other people. :giggle:

:razz:

Besides: Who ordered a whole lot of books just before the turn of the year, and will be having some book delivery action soon??

Ooh, me, me!!!

Mr Rosenblum's List - Natasha Solomons (bought due to BCF recommendations, think it was Kylie?)

I read it and really liked it, so it's very possible I recommended it, but I reckon you would have been swayed by any or all of the great reviews that others have written. My 'reviews' (I use that term very loosely) have been virtually non-existent for a while now.

Whitegold mentioned 'Coffee At Luke's', a book of essays written about various aspects of the Gilmore Girls TV series. I bought it, it has arrived and I am already on page 60. Thank you Whitegold, it's such a brilliant read! :D

Jealous!

Edited by Kylie

I received China Mieville's Embassytown in the mail today. I preordered it a while ago so I had forgotten it was on its way (it's a 2011 book by the way; it doesn't count for this year!)

I also went to a bookshop (where I rarely leave without buying 5-10 books) and I didn't buy anything. :o See, Frankie? I have self-control! :P

Finished "A Clash of Kings" and have started "Stuart: a life backwards" by Alexander Masters, so far it's very good :) I was going to watch the BBC adaptation and then decided I really want to read the book first.

I'm stil reading "You don't have to say you love me" by Sarra Manning. I really love this one. I am curious to find out how it will end, but on the other side I don't want it to end... I have about 100 pages to go, but I know this one will get 5 out of 5 stars.

I've Just finished 'The Pale Horse' by Agatha Christie. I'm not generally a reader of murder mysteries, but I really enjoyed this book. I think I might read some more of Christie's novels in the future.

Now, I'm about to start on 'Something Dangerous' by Penny Vincenzi. I haven't read anything by this author before, but a friend of mine gave me this book to read, saying that she had enjoyed it.

I finished All Quiet on the Western Front last night. Fantastic read, but obviously upsetting content. Was hoping to jump into something lighter-hearted next, but some selfish turd ;) has reserved my other library book so I can't renew it. I've therefore brought A Life too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke to the top of the reading pile. I'm two chapters in, and so far it's a great book, but it's already upsetting. (It's about a German goalkeeper who suffered from depression and committed suicide in 2009 for those unfamilar with the name).

I really must look out something that basically ends happily ever after next!

I finished Afterlight by Alex Scarrow and have started Whoops! by John Lanchester. It's a bit heavy going; it's about the recent financial crisis and why and how it happened. My economics knowledge is dire, so I thought I'd try to brush up on it, but it is a struggle! I think I have to start another fiction book to read along side it, so I'm going to go with one of my 12 Days of Kindle purchases: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

Finished The Lady and the Locksmith by Cody Young on the Kindle today, and started Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne, also on the Kindle and also by the same author. :)

Given up on Whoops! as it was becoming a chore. :o I figure I'm studying enough as it is, to read another book that feels like a text book. So, I've started The Knife of Letting Go. Good so far, but the writing style caught me a bit off guard.

Had a bit of a spree on the Kindle sale last night and splurged on the M. C Beaton books on offer:

Sick of Shadows

Hasty Death

Our Lady of Pain

Emily Goes to Exeter

Belinda Goes to Bath

Penelope Goes to Portsmouth

Beatrice Goes to Brighton

Deborah Goes to Dover

Yvonne Goes to York

The first three are part of the Edwardian Murder Mystery series, which I read the first one of last year, and the rest are the Travelling Matchmaker series, which I haven't read any of yet, but I've liked all her other books I've read, and at 99p each, it was an offer too good to refuse.

On the down side, I haven't read a word for the last two days. :(

I just ordered a nice pile of books, can't wait to get them! They are both fiction and non-fiction and seemed super interesting. There's - for example - one about the current situation in Africa and the ways we should and shouldn't help the continent, there's another one about the things going on in the Middle East, there are a novel and short stories by Junot Diaz, there's the first novel by Doris Lessing, some Finnish novels... Gotta love the sales.

I finished reading Life of Pi last night. Loved it! The story captured me totally.

I was planning on visiting the library today, just even because I need some books for school, but all the libraries are closed today. They're apparently updating something in their loaning systems. Boo.

I finished Into The Darkest Corner yesterday , a very good book which was hard to put down especially near the end. I'm now about 100 pages into The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel.

I also popped to the library to return some of the children's books & came out with

River Cottage everyday Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

I Love to Bake Tana Ramsey

The Best Ever One Pot Cookbook Jenni Fleetwood

On the final story of The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter also read a bit more of a couple of other books I have on the go but I was out last night so not much reading done today

Started and read Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles in one sitting until 4am this morning - was brilliant.

Nice! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :) I really need to read some more Sherlock Holmes stories this year.

I am loving The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' nest. I was reading it for hours on Thursday night. Not much reading so far over the weekend as it is Oldest's Birthday. I still have next by Crichton to read too. But I just not liking it much now. Which is a real shame.

Just finished The Night Circus - on my second attempt. It took a while to get into it and I only continued past the 100 page point due to the great reviews on here. I'm very pleased I did as the second half of the book was much better than the first in my opinion.

I started reading 'Something Dangerous' by Penny Vincenzi, but I have had to abandon it. I did try and get to 100 pages before deciding whether or not to continue, but the characters were so obnoxious that I couldn't read any more!

So now I'm embarking on 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett. Being 941 pages this is a doorstep of a book. However, having read and enjoyed 'Pillars of the Earth', I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy reading this.

So now I'm embarking on 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett. Being 941 pages this is a doorstep of a book. However, having read and enjoyed 'Pillars of the Earth', I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy reading this.

I read this one when it first came out. Like you, I enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, and Fall of Giants didn't disappoint. Hope you enjoy it.

Managed to finish Report for Murder by V.L. McDermid and also Animal Farm by George Orwell. I have now started Amanda's Wedding by Jenny Colgan.