Your book activity in 2012

Kell

A mystery parcel arrived with a copy of 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova inside. Thank you to the always gorgeous Inver. :D

I started and finished (and enjoyed) Joss Stirling's 'Stealing Phoenix', the second book in her Benedict Brothers series.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up a few books at goodwill yesterday and a library sale today

Isabel Allende-Paula

Lost in the Forest-Sue Miller

A Million Little Pieces-James Frey

Kabul Beauty School-Deborah Rodriguez

Portrait in Sepia-Isabel Allende

David Copperfield-Charles Dickens

Amerika-Franz Kafka (though I may already own a copy of this, not sure :/ )

and a cookbook in Portuguese

Edited by Sofia

Edit: Harumph! Not available on either. The library have it though. :)

Hurray for libraries! :smile2:

Finished Helter Skelter. It was a bit draining. :roll2:

Some of the court procedure stuff could've done with a bit of editing. The part where Manson's ideas on the Beatles song Helter Skelter was really fascinating, and yet... how can anyone come up with that kind of stuff? Manson's one twisted person.

I finished reading The Complete Adventures of Blinky Bill and started reading Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years, which I'll most likely finish today.

I decided to treat myself today, so I've just downloaded the Kindle Daily Deal book for today, Siren by Tricia Raybury and the two choices for my reading group meeting next month, Moonwalking With Einstein by Joshua Foer (which I actually had on my wishlist anyway) and 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson.

Let me know what Siren is like its been on my maybe button for some time now. Have read a load of books since I updated my own page but I must recommend Karma Girl - Jennifer Estep its a combination of Janet Evanovitch meets The Incredibles. and it only £1.90 on the kindle downloads may just get the second to tied me over.

I got notification that I've been chosen as a World Book Night giver and will be sent 24 copies of The Damned Utd by David Peace to distribute. :)

If you are looking for a home to give one away to keep me in mind for my footie boy. Don't think he has a copy.

In the post today a swap from RISI ~ Message in a Bottle ~ Nicholas Sparks (almost wants to make you sing the song now ...lol)

Edited by Inver

I'm reading The Women in Black by Susan Hill and very much enjoying although getting very freaked out already :blush:

I was in WH Smiths this afternoon dithering over this book! I decided not to buy it but think I'll get it on my kindle soon. :smile:

I've just started The Angels Game ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon, only read 3 chapters so far but enjoying it.

Just finished reading RANT by Chuck Palahniuk...that was a GREAT read! Straight to the point, intellectual whilst using vulgar words to paint the picture. Now I'm trying to, well I am, reading WIDEACRE by Phillipa Gregory . Not as enjoyable as RANT was and I think thats because Chuck P. writes in such a different style than Phillipa that my brain just wants to skim over the five paragraphs she writes about how the wind and the trees on the land move. After WIDEACRE I'm so excited to move onto ;a series I've heard nothing but grandeur about! :friends3:

On Friday I picked up Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg at 1/2 Price Books, and last night my friend's mom lent me The Genius by Jesse Kellerman.

I'm still making my way through The Assassani by Gifford and am a little over half way by now. I don't know why it's taking me so long, since I love the subject matter and the writing, but my book mojo hasn't been the highest plus my time is so limited. I will finish it though, I promise!

I've just finished reading 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' by Arthur Conan Doyle and I really enjoyed it. It was very different from the TV programme 'Sherlock', but I think that both versions of the story are compelling.

Now I am about to read 'Time's Legacy' by Barbara Erskine. I was given this to read by a friend, who gave this novel a mixed review. So I'm interested to see what this book is like.

I gave up on "The Edwardians" by Roy Hattersley yesterday. I frankly found it boring. Started to read "Great Expectations" instead. Today I have started "The Stripping of the Altars" by Eamon Duffy. It promises to be a long read. It's a big book and I really need quiet to read a book of this sort - a luxury that seems to be in short supply!

I'm had very little time to read this half term so I'm hoping things will settle down as the kids go back to school and I'll get some decent reading done.

I'm a third of the way through The Land of Decoration, if it wasn't a review copy I don't think I'd have got this far but it's suddenly picking up and I think I'm understanding the lead character a little more, it's an unusual book that's for sure... :-)

I've been reading more of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - I love it!

I got a new bookcase yesterday and have put it together. :)

Kylie, another bookcase?! I'm so jealous! Anyway, so happy to see you're enjoying The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I read it last year and absolutely loved it!

I'm about half way through Valley of the Dolls. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it today or tomorrow. I'd really like to start Room by Emma Donoghue this week while I'm off from work. Definitely sounds like it's a book I should be reading during the day instead of my usual routine of reading before bed.

On Friday I picked up Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg at 1/2 Price Books

I really liked this, Peace. I'm pretty sure you will too. :)

Kylie, another bookcase?! I'm so jealous! Anyway, so happy to see you're enjoying The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I read it last year and absolutely loved it!

I'm about half way through Valley of the Dolls. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it today or tomorrow. I'd really like to start Room by Emma Donoghue this week while I'm off from work. Definitely sounds like it's a book I should be reading during the day instead of my usual routine of reading before bed.

I'm still in the process of moving books around, but this bookcase will be pretty full once I'm done!

I look forward to your thoughts on Valley of the Dolls, which I have on my TBR pile.

I finished TGL&PPS this morning. It was pretty terrific. :) I also received Norton Juster's Alberic the Wise and Other Journeys in the mail.

I finally got around to starting The Book Thief, only 40 or so pages in and so far it's not bad and I like the writing style.

I finished 2 books over the weekend! Yay! :exc:

Finished I'm Shy Boy - Monty Roberts. Written for kids but I enjoyed it

Finished Dead Water - Ngaio Marsh. Good light read, very much in the Agatha Christie vein.

Getting on with A Study in Scarlet - The sudden shift of the scene to America was unexpected but its good!

The Scapegoat also back on the main reading heap!