Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Pied Piper for the March reading circle, and then I got a bio on J. D. Salinger, something by Vonnegut (non-fiction) and Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell, recommended by Jänet :smile2:

Hurrah - hope you enjoy the Orwell! I've got Pied Piper too - I've been meaning to read this for years and years (it was on my parents bookcase before I was married!) so it's good that this RC is forcing my hand.

I finished Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run, and loved it. Very inspirational.

I have now started:

John Jasper's Secret - haven't really concentrated on it yet

The Scapegoat - Daphne du Maurier - interesting so far and I want to read it before the ITV adaptation is on

Dead Water - Ngaio Marsh - good so far

Born To Run - only just started but think I'm going to like it

A Study in Scarlet - Conan Doyle - loving this and can't put it down. I'm surprised by how 'fresh' the writing is. I'd expected it to feel more 'Victorian'.

Methinks I should get something finished before starting anymore!

How on earth can you read all those books lol, I can only read one at a time or get confused.com, if I read more than one, it is because I am reading a non fiction :giggle2:

How on earth can you read all those books lol, I can only read one at a time or get confused.com, if I read more than one, it is because I am reading a non fiction :giggle2:

I didn't even mention the ones I occasionally dip into!! Last night I decided I would concentrate on getting something finished and narrow the list!

I'm reading Shy Boy - Monty Roberts (after tea)

Dead Water - Ngaio Marsh (through the evening)

A Study in Scarlet - Conan Doyle (in bed...who wouldn't want to snuggle up with Sherlock??)

I'm reading The Railway Detective (again) as I treated myself to the Railway Detective Omnibus at the weekend. I love stories that take place on Victorian Steam trains.

Edited by SueK

This book and the Ted Bundy book by Ann Rule are the creepiest true crime books ever. I hope the book doesn't come to haunt you in your sleep!

How funny - I saw your post and thought I'd like to read the Ann Rule book. The next morning, there was a dramatisation of the book on one of the film channels. I couldn't stay and watch it though, because I had to go to work...definitely think the book sounds good though :)

I've now finished reading Marc Eliot's biography of Cary Grant. The parts about his films and the making of them were fascinating, but I didn't like the author's absolute preoccupation with Grant's sexuality. I just think that such an icon as Cary Grant deserves a better biography (and there may well be one - I'm still on the lookout).

Started reading Painting Ruby Tuesday, by Jane Yardley this morning. It's for my f2f book group, so not my choice, but still looks like it might be a good read.

How funny - I saw your post and thought I'd like to read the Ann Rule book. The next morning, there was a dramatisation of the book on one of the film channels. I couldn't stay and watch it though, because I had to go to work...definitely think the book sounds good though :)

The Ann Rule book is really creepy, but it's still very good. Probably the best true crime book I've read, I do recommend it :) I've seen a dramatisation of the book, was it this one on your TV? If so, in my opinion you didn't miss a thing, it wasn't particularly good or, well, anything. Rather boring to be honest. The book is so much better.

Edit: Why they would show the movie in the daytime is totally beyond me, it's still awful no matter how boring it is!

Edited by frankie

I'm reading The Railway Detective (again) as I treated myself to the Railway Detective Omnibus at the weekend. I love stories that take place on Victorian Steam trains.

I've been tempted to try one of those. They sound up my street. Should they be read in sequence? And if yes, which is the first?

Also wanted to say I love your pic. The new Sherlock is fantastic, but when I read the books I always "see" Jeremy Brett. He was brilliant! :smile:

They are not odd pages, they are great pages!! :giggle:

I'm still reading Blinky Bill. He's a bit of a naughty boy! :o

*groans* :giggle:

Naw, surely not? He's a cute little Australian koala. He can't be naughty!

I've now finished reading Marc Eliot's biography of Cary Grant. The parts about his films and the making of them were fascinating, but I didn't like the author's absolute preoccupation with Grant's sexuality. I just think that such an icon as Cary Grant deserves a better biography (and there may well be one - I'm still on the lookout).

Oh, that's a bit disappointing. :(

*groans* :giggle:

Did you not enjoy my witty pun? :lol:

Naw, surely not? He's a cute little Australian koala. He can't be naughty!

I'm beginning to discover why you are so wicked as well! It seems like it's a very Australian thing.

Did you not enjoy my witty pun? :lol:

Yes, but I'm not going to admit that to you! (Oh, wait...)

I'm beginning to discover why you are so wicked as well! It seems like it's a very Australian thing.

:P You know I'm totally sweet and innocent!

The Ann Rule book is really creepy, but it's still very good. Probably the best true crime book I've read, I do recommend it :) I've seen a dramatisation of the book, was it this one on your TV? If so, in my opinion you didn't miss a thing, it wasn't particularly good or, well, anything. Rather boring to be honest. The book is so much better.

Edit: Why they would show the movie in the daytime is totally beyond me, it's still awful no matter how boring it is!

Yes, it was that one. I did wonder whether it would be worth it, because it was on the True Movies channel or something like that, which has a tendency to show pretty bad films about real life events (often skewed beyond all recognition though!) It was on at about 7.30am!!! Pretty early for such a gruesome story!

I have added the book to my Amazon wishlist, but am now off to have another look to see if it is available on Kindle or iBooks, so I can get it even quicker. :)

Edit: Harumph! Not available on either. The library have it though.:)

Edited by Ruth

I've been tempted to try one of those. They sound up my street. Should they be read in sequence? And if yes, which is the first?

Also wanted to say I love your pic. The new Sherlock is fantastic, but when I read the books I always "see" Jeremy Brett. He was brilliant! :smile:

Hello Fruska. The Railway Detective books are very good and I think there are about 8 or so now. I'm quite a firm believer in reading books in sequence and I would say definitely start with The Railway Detective as that introduces you to Robert Colbeck - from there you could probably read them out of sequence if you wanted. The omnibus edition I have has the first 3 books in the series.

Thanks for the comment re my Sherlock avatar. I love the new Sherlock series but I too, only see Jeremy Brett as the definitive Sherlock.

............. I've just started one of the books I got for Valentine's day Peril by Thomas H. Cook.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this :smile: I've read 2 quite different books by him and enjoyed them both.

I'm a third of the way through The sacrificial Man ~ Ruth Dugdall, enjoying it now, although I found it slightly confusing to begin with,

Oh I am so excited for you! I love Saramago, he is my very favorite author! Have you read any others by him yet?

Thanks Sofia :) This is the first time I have read any of his books, I am looking forward to reading them :)

I'm currently reading 'Sunshine' by Robin McKinley :)

Edited by Weave

I decided to treat myself today, so I've just downloaded the Kindle Daily Deal book for today, Siren by Tricia Raybury and the two choices for my reading group meeting next month, Moonwalking With Einstein by Joshua Foer (which I actually had on my wishlist anyway) and 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson.