Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Prepare to sob like a baby when you read Of Mice and Men, too. ;)

I've read a few more chapters of Nerd Do Well. Finally nearing the end now.

I've actually read it before, when I was in school at about age 13, but I wasnt so emotionally affected by books back then, this time I think I'm going to bawl like a baby :(

Poor lauraloves is going to get a headache and puffy eyes with all the sad books she's reading! :empathy:

I'm still reading The Maltese Falcon. It's a bit all over the place at the moment and I have no idea where it's heading.

The last 3 or so books I've read have turned me into a wreak! I need to read something funny I think :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading Of Mice and Men in english when I was about 15, I read The Grapes Of Wrath at the same time as well and my english teacher was really happy with me for that!

I went to the library today and borrowed out some books which all look good, even a couple that were on the 1001 books to read before you die list, and made a reservation on one that I am keen to read. Decided to start by re reading a book I borrowed a few years ago called The End of Mr Y. :)

my 14 year old just finished Of Mice and Men in school (mandatory reading, a good chunk of the English program is Literature now) she didn't particularly like it, but that's ok, as long as she realizes there's more books out there besides ones that are based on wizards and vampires :giggle2:

Forgot to take my tree book to work with me today, so picked something off my TBR on my Kindle and started the YA book Stealing Phoenix, as thought it would be a quick read to get me through until the weekend.

Did you read the first one, Finding Sky, first Chesil? I really enjoyed both :-))

I am nearly midway through the road, and I am kind of surprised at how much I am enjoying it, considering I know what happens in the end of the movie. Though I do realise the books often differ from the movies.

I'd be interested to hear how much it actually differs from the film. I've been hesitant to see the film.

Just finished reading A Game of Thrones, very good book, can't wait to start the next and see the next season on TV.

Now a bit hooked on fantasy so I bought the Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks and His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

Oh I agree! Btw, I believe Tim Burton is directing....makes it all the more interesting. Have you

ever watched the book trailer? Very cool too

Oh I haven't, I will go and have a look, thanks Sofia :)

Yes, I read it last year and thought it was really good, so when I saw this one in the Kindle sale at Christmas, I couldn't resist. 99p - what a bargain! :lol:

Definitely a bargain!! I just looked in Joss Stirling's website, Seeking Crystal isn't due out until Valentines Day 2013!!! :-(

I am currently 'Underdogs' ('The Underdog', 'Fighting Reuben Wolf', 'Getting The Girl') by Markus Zusak and I ordered from amazon ~

Blindness by Jose Saramago

Seeing by Jose Saramago

:bookworm:

Edited by Weave

Seeing by Jose Saramago

Excellent choices! One of my favourite authors :smile2: Hope you enjoy them :)

Definitely a bargain!! I just looked in Joss Stirling's website, Seeking Crystal isn't due out until Valentines Day 2013!!! :-(

Really??!! Ah well, it'll give me chance to read everything else on my TBR shelf :lol:

I am currently 'Underdogs' ('The Underdog', 'Fighting Reuben Wolf', 'Getting The Girl') by Markus Zusak and I ordered from amazon ~

Seeing by Jose Saramago

Oh I am so excited for you! I love Saramago, he is my very favorite author! Have you read any others by him yet?

I'd be interested to hear how much it actually differs from the film. I've been hesitant to see the film.

So far it's been pretty true to the book. I'm a third the way through now.

So far it's been pretty true to the book. I'm a third the way through now.

Thanks, I've wondered about that.

I've finished The Stand, and all I can say is......that it's well worth the time invested. Also finished off another one previously begun, Ghost Light by Frank Rich. It's a lovely memoir of his childhood, and his love affair with the theatre, it's beginnings and source.

Read 'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' by Philip Pullman yesterday.

An interesting concept, with certain parts making you think, but ultimately I didn't really like the way it was written and thankful that it was a short book. Read it in about 3ish hours.

This morning I started reading IT by Stephen King, first big book of the year. Will probably take me a while.

Drood fans may also be interested in The D Case by Carlo Fruttero and Franco Lucentini. It's out of print, I believe, but it seems there's an e-book version of it (in English):

http://www.amazon.co...28634007&sr=1-1

The BBC's adaptation of Edwin Drood around Christmas time was a cracker, by the way.

Hi Fruska

I also found one in which someone finished the rest of the story. You might want to give it a look also :

http://www.amazon.co...8619736&sr=1-11

Thanks for all the suggestions!! The BBC adaptation was brilliant and I'm more than a little obsessed with John Jasper. I remember being like this about Bradley Headstone when I read Our Mutual Friend! Does anyone know if the BBC Edwin Drood is going to be released on dvd??

Close to finishing Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run.

Halfway through Dead Water

Not properly got going on John Jasper's Secret yet.

I'm about half way through All Quiet On The Western Front, it's a great read but I'm finding it hard to remember that I'm reading from the German side of things as there are very few differences so far with things I have read about British experiences in WWI trench warfare..

I bought 2 books yesterday - my first buys for the year! And I ordered 3 more. And today I received another one in the mail. That's still relatively few books though!

Today I finished Simon Pegg's Nerd Do Well.