Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Hey Julie, great! Glad to hear you're starting. It flows very easily, pulling you along, just to know what happens!

Chaliepud, boy, I sure hope you find that book!

A new to me author was recommended elsewhere, and I investigated, and, well, the result is:

Bought....

The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love by Oscar Hijuelos

Beautiful Maria of My Soul " "

A Simple Habana Melody by..... " "

also

The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading Mistress Masham's Repose. The first 15 pages were difficult for me, I felt I wasn't getting into the story at all, and it was beginning to feel like a chore, but then BAM, I got into it and now I can't wait to read the rest, I'm hoping to finish it today :)

I started and finished Rachel Vincen't Blood Bound last night it was ok but she rushed into the story almost as if you knew the back ground to the story made me wonder fo a while if I hadn'#t accidently picked up the second part.

Finished My Autobiography - A.P. McCoy (loved it, but I'm a racing nut anyway!)

Still reading Mystery of Edwin Drood - loving it!

Still reading Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run - funny and inspirational

Trying to read Birdsong - please someone tell me it gets going because I just can't get into it at the moment

Just started The Long Firm - hooked already!

I've started reading Mistress Masham's Repose. The first 15 pages were difficult for me, I felt I wasn't getting into the story at all, and it was beginning to feel like a chore, but then BAM, I got into it and now I can't wait to read the rest, I'm hoping to finish it today :)

It's quite a tricky one actually .. not as easy a read as I expected. Once I got into the flow I loved it, though everything to do with the little people confused me.

I've lost Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I'm hoping I didn't leave it at the hospital yesterday, I'm sure I didn't get it out as we were in and out so quickly... Typically it's a library book AND has my favourite bookmark in it.. I've emailed them so fingers crossed!

The book has been found!!!!! Soooo pleased as I was really enjoying it, now have 3 books on the go, my head may explode!! :10_confused:

Trying to read Birdsong - please someone tell me it gets going because I just can't get into it at the moment

it is a fabulous read but it is a slow burner, in a good way but you need to have patience with it and simply enjoy the writing and the story... :smile:

so I just finished my current read - rides a dread legion by r.e.f. but because I was so close to the end, I really wanted to finish it but in the process kind of lost track of time hehe.

As I post this, it's now 2:50am here in Aus, oops!

Edited by Devi

Got given a whole load of 2nd-hand books - all of them tie-in books to the TV series "Quantum Leap" if anyone remembers that? I used to love that programme, but not sure if these books will be any good. Still, it's given my TBR pile a big boost, cos there's about 20 of them!

The book has been found!!!!! Soooo pleased as I was really enjoying it, now have 3 books on the go, my head may explode!! :10_confused:

Was it at the hospital? I'm happy it was found and is safely in your good care again :smile2:

Got given a whole load of 2nd-hand books - all of them tie-in books to the TV series "Quantum Leap" if anyone remembers that? I used to love that programme, but not sure if these books will be any good. Still, it's given my TBR pile a big boost, cos there's about 20 of them!

I love Quantum Leap! I always see one copy of the books in the local secondhand bookshop but like you, I don't know if they're any good so I've never bought it. One day I'll decide to buy it and I swear it won't be there anymore :D

Edit: oops I almost missed poppyshake's post!

It's quite a tricky one actually .. not as easy a read as I expected. Once I got into the flow I loved it, though everything to do with the little people confused me.

I expected it to be really easy as well, right from the start. And I don't know if it was me, at night, nearly asleep, or was there really a surprising amount of words in the beginning that I didn't know. Made a difficult read anyways.

Sorry the little people confused you :empathy: I've not met many of them yet, but they kind of remind me of something Terry Pratchett would do, thank goodness I've read a couple of his novels.

Edited by frankie

Was it at the hospital? I'm happy it was found and is safely in your good care again :smile2:

No, it was in my study drawer, not somewhere I EVER put books and I have absolutely no recollection of putting it there! Oh well could be worse I could've put it in the fridge (I had checked there though!!) :-)))

I expected it to be really easy as well, right from the start. And I don't know if it was me, at night, nearly asleep, or was there really a surprising amount of words in the beginning that I didn't know. Made a difficult read anyways.

Sorry the little people confused you :empathy: I've not met many of them yet, but they kind of remind me of something Terry Pratchett would do, thank goodness I've read a couple of his novels.

Ahh yes the wee free men :D Pratchett says Mistress Masham's Repose is a favourite of his so maybe he was inspired .. though his little men are a lot more unruly :D These are Lilliputians and there's a lot of confusing talk about Gullivers Travels .. I've not read it .. only heard snippets .. but it always boggles my brain somehow. Perhaps that's a trick of the little people .. they bamboozle me so I won't seek them out and sell them on ebay :D

Just finished Mockingjay, got to say it was a really good trilogy and I really enjoyed enjoyed reading them and chapter after chapter you are left hooked.

I can't believe Prim was killed!!

Edited by Timmo

Ahh yes the wee free men :D Pratchett says Mistress Masham's Repose is a favourite of his so maybe he was inspired .. though his little men are a lot more unruly :D These are Lilliputians and there's a lot of confusing talk about Gullivers Travels .. I've not read it .. only heard snippets .. but it always boggles my brain somehow. Perhaps that's a trick of the little people .. they bamboozle me so I won't seek them out and sell them on ebay :D

Funny you should say that, because I haven't even read the wee free men book :D I don't even know if any of the books I've read by Pratchett have included small people, but I just associate them with Pratchett, it seems :D Hey ho, what can one do...e? :D Yep, the Pratchett quote is on the cover of my MMR copy :smile2: I was rather surprised by it when I first looked at the book! Cool :) I haven't read Gulliver's Travels yet either, and had I known this book was about the people I would have read it beforehand. It's a bit confusing, the history bit. Oh but I think I should keep these to the actual RC thread!

My mojo dozed off for a day or two, but is now awake again and reading Jeffrey Deaver's 'Roadside Crossed'. I am engrossed already, so I reckon my mojo likes the cold weather! :giggle2:

Good old Jeffery Deaver! :friends3:

I read more of Mistress Masham's Repose last night in bed, and I'm hoping to continue with it today.

Edited by frankie

Chipping away slowly at The Stand . Good so far . It's taking me awhile to get exactly what is happening,but it is starting to get a little clearer .

Don't get much reading done on the weekends when my grandson is here,but I wouldnt trade it for anything. I can read during the week . :)