Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I read more of a Study in Scarlet today. I'm loving it!

This has to be my favourite of the Sherlock Holmes stories as you effectively get two stories in one. I loved that ACD went effortlessly from London to Salt Lake City and the American part of the book was so compelling.

3/4 way through Birdsong.....very good read.....TV thing was OK, but book much better.

I thought that the second part was much better than the first and they captured Wraysford and Firbrace in the collapsed tunnel very well. I still think it was a bit slow going though (the TV not the book).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the TV thing of Birdsong because I wanted to read the book first - my Dad was really disappointed with the TV version, I think the gist of his problem was it was slow going, but his language was choicer than that!

Started Along Came A Spider by James Patterson yesterday and really enjoying it already, even though I'm only 50 pages in.

just ordered my fourth book for the year off BD - The book thief. Thanks to you all for drawing my attention to it!

Edited by Devi

just ordered my fourth book for the year off BD - The book thief. Thanks to you all for drawing my attention to it!

Enjoy - that's a terrific book!

I'm still reading Carter Beats The Devil, by Glen David Gold. It's good, but not as good as I had originally thought it would be. I'm still quite enjoying it though.

Finished Love Anger Madness by Haitian author Marie Vieux-Chauvet last night - an absolutely brilliant and masterfully written book that really lived up to its reputation. I am now reading a book set in Italy - can't remember the author's name, but it was the Kindle deal of the day a few days ago - Last Train to Liguria. So far it is okay, but it might get better.

I didn't see the TV thing of Birdsong because I wanted to read the book first - my Dad was really disappointed with the TV version, I think the gist of his problem was it was slow going, but his language was choicer than that!

I am reading it at the moment and have to agree, after watching it on telly while reading it, the book is much better. They missed bits out on the telly too.

Hope you enjoy it Devi :smile:

I'm still reading Carter Beats The Devil, by Glen David Gold. It's good, but not as good as I had originally thought it would be. I'm still quite enjoying it though.

This is a book that has been on my shelf for ever ... I'm not encouraged Ruth :D

This is a book that has been on my shelf for ever ... I'm not encouraged Ruth :D

Ditto and...ditto.

I started reading I Want It Now! today, and I've read a few more chapters of Nerd Do Well.

I gather the second part was much better, but I gave up on the first part as it had no sparkle - and I thought the lead actor (who I'm not familiar with) was rather wooden. Such a shame.

Sorry :D Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, and I do like the character of Carter. It just seems to be going on and on! There are LOADS of glowing reviews on Amazon, so a lot of people must have loved it. Maybe that's why I'm not liking it as much as I had hoped - because I expected so much after seeing all the five star reviews it has had.

I have got Sunnyside, which was Gold's next book after Carter. I will read it at some point, but probably not for a while! It has Charlie Chaplin in it, and I do like Chaplin, so maybe I'll prefer that one.

Edited by Ruth

Started Brother Odd by Koontz last night,I'm only 40 pages in but it hasnt got the feel of the first 2 books yet which had me gripped from the get go,anyway like I say only a few chapters in so hopefully it will get me soon enough.

Simon

Edited by simongrant

Me too , I bought it because I liked the front cover but haven't got round to reading it yet.

I'm halfway through The Book of Human Skin it took me awhile to get into it but I'm really enjoying it now. I've also started Miss Masham's Repose.

Me too , I bought it because I liked the front cover but haven't got round to reading it yet.

I'm halfway through The Book of Human Skin it took me awhile to get into it but I'm really enjoying it now. I've also started Miss Masham's Repose.

I have The Book Of Human Skin on my tbr. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I liked Carnivale, by the same author.

I have downloaded a couple more freebies

Cold April - Phyllis A. Humphrey and In the Company of Ghosts - Stephen A. Hunt.

I also ordered in book form Of Mice and Men. I studied this in school but would like a chance to read this without pressures.

I've lost Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I'm hoping I didn't leave it at the hospital yesterday, I'm sure I didn't get it out as we were in and out so quickly... Typically it's a library book AND has my favourite bookmark in it.. I've emailed them so fingers crossed!

In the meantime I've started The Forest of Hands and Teeth.. It's starting slow, I'm hoping it picks up pace soon. :-)

I'm coming towards the end of Dracula .. what a brilliant read. It has scared me half to death though... I'm not very good with horror. I know it's not exactly hardcore but I'm a bit of a custard about these things. I keep on thinking I won't read it at night and then I do because I can't stand the suspense of not knowing. My mind is playing all sorts of tricks on me now ... 'Hark is that wolves I can hear?' .. 'No, it's next doors dog you idiot' :D

Oh no, Chaliepud. I hope you find it soon!

Me too, if not I'll have to buy a copy of the book for the library - I'll read it first though! :readingtwo: I'm still considering a Kindle but not so sure I should now! :o

Edited by chaliepud

Three more to add to the TBR pile: :readingtwo:

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith

Plotting Writing Suspense Fiction by Patricia Highsmith

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings [boots on the ground/everyman stories of WWII]

Julie, I've started The Stand, only 65 pages in, but will definitely read it through.

Hi Pontalba

Sorry I missed your post. Will pick mine up and get busy on it .You have a good start on it,so I'll have some catching up to do !

Thanks for the note . :)