Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still ploughing through 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett. Even though this is a doorstep of a book, it's mostly worth the effort so far. Currently I'm on page 499.....only another 442 to go.... :readingtwo:

Have been reading like a demon and at some point will post on my thread, finished the first 4 Agatha Raisin books by M C Beaton, finished a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, not the originals but new takes on old ones, finished a short story by Derek Landy amd have started a new one by C J Box this morning.

Have been reading like a demon and at some point will post on my thread, finished the first 4 Agatha Raisin books by M C Beaton, finished a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, not the originals but new takes on old ones, finished a short story by Derek Landy amd have started a new one by C J Box this morning.

Wow, you have been reading a lot lately!

I am loving it but it's freaking me out. I'm thinking this has got to be an exaggeration surely. I thought I knew some eccentric people but goodness the Finches take some beating. As for his Mum and Dad :angry: :angry: :angry: Augusten deals with the situation well .. in a 'if you can't beat them join them' sort of way and I suppose if he had had a normal upbringing then this book wouldn't have been written but really :o if any of that had happened to me I would be a total fruitcake by now (instead of being just a slice :lol:)

Well Burroughs's Mum has of course had her say about what she thinks of the memoirs and there's been some dispute over the whole thing. And the Finches are just crazy.

I warn you, Burroughs has written more. Dry and Wolf at the Table are also some sorts of memoirs, each dealing with a different single aspect of his life (alcohol and father). However, Dry isn't as funny anymore. And Wolf at the Table is just dark, I got really spooked when I was reading it.

His other books are collections of short stories, and he's also written one novel, which I also enjoyed.

I guess it's pretty safe to say Burroughs is one of my favorite authors. I quite fancy him actually :blush2: I wish he'd play for my team!

I felt the same .. total frustration at them all (except Kingshaw) and outrage. I think I hated Kingshaw's Mum the most .. even more than Hooper ... she was too busy thinking about her own future to see what her son was going through .. I felt actual real pain for him .. even though he wasn't real :(

Yep, frustration and outrage, that describes it. I mean, Hooper's still young and he's the product of his parents. So the parents are the ones responsible. Oh how I hated Kingshaw's Mum. She asked him questions, and 'listened' to him, but never really LISTENED to him or tried to understand. Like, why ask questions if you don't care what the answer is and brush the whole issue aside and think it's just a 'stage' in Kingshaw's life, and oh, what to wear next, hmp! Good Grief with capital G's. :doh:

I've finished reading The Neon Bible and I started reading Green River Running Red by Ann Rule. I need to hurry with it so I can start reading Mistress Masham's Repose!

And also received 5 books in the mail today, whopee! More details in my reading log.

Is Call The Midwife any good? I've been enjoying the TV series and been thinking of getting the book.

It is good but have chatted to my mum who is watching the show and the show is very close to the book so you may not need to do both...

It is good but have chatted to my mum who is watching the show and the show is very close to the book so you may not need to do both...

I'll probably read the book at some point then because I'm enjoying the TV show so much. Much better Sunday TV than Birdsong turned out to be :P

I'll probably read the book at some point then because I'm enjoying the TV show so much. Much better Sunday TV than Birdsong turned out to be :P

I know, it's such a shame, I was soooo looking forward to Birdsong, I'll have to have a re-read at some point instead! I did start listening to the audiobook but I kept forgetting I was supposed to be listening to it and walking out of the room to do something else! :lurker::P

Yes you will. But it's totally worth it...a beautiful, funny, lovely book :)

I'm looking forward to it, but also dreading it at the same time because of how sad it will be. :hide:

Have downloaded a few more kindle freebies, I need to stop :(

Nah, as long as they are free, it's all good! :D

finished A Walk in the Woods-Bill Bryson.....I did enjoy it, learned quite a bit about our National Forests and Parks...I look forward to reading more from him.

Started Half-Broke Horses-Jeanette Walls

Been really enjoying flicking through my Norton Anthology of English Literature: Volume D, Romanticism book; it's utterly brilliant. I think there's seven volumes overall that encompass an extensive history of English Literature, and I've already decided that I'd love to own them all. I bought this volume for my new semester on Monday, but it's so great that it's definitely encouraging me to look at buying the rest. In other reading news I've got Dracula on the go, and I finished Alex Connor's Legacy of Blood a couple of days ago.

Slow reading for me at the moment but I'm hoping it'll pick up, and it hasn't been that bad of a month considering I've had exams.

Edited by Ben

Started reading Drown by Junot Diaz yesterday. I haven't had that much time on my hands so I've read only about 30 pages of it. Seems very good! I always enjoy realistic and even kind of rough stories.