Your book activity in 2012

Kell

One of my absolute favourite children's books! Bought it at a book fair as a child, and re-read it again last year or the year before. Wonderful little story.

Is that the one I sent you I think! Or am I getting mixed up with something/one else!

I have finished the first section of 'Birdsong' but no way will I get this book finished before watching the second part on Sunday.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop City - T C Boyle and The Lambs of London - Peter Ackroyd finally dropped through my letter box yesterday. Still waiting on The Atrocity Exhibition - J G Ballard a week after it was posted though, which is the one I want most of all... Ebay is always a mine field! :doh:

Have you read much by Ballard before? Do you have any favourites you'd recommend? I have all of his short stories and about half a dozen of his novels, but I haven't actually read anything by him yet. :o I keep buying, though, because I just know I'm going to love him. :)

I just finished 'Miss Peregrine's House of Peculiar Children' by Ransom Riggs (which as good as I thought it was going to be) and 'Just After Sunset' by Stephen King (Kindle) :bookworm:

I just finished 'Miss Peregrine's House of Peculiar Children' by Ransom Riggs (which as good as I thought it was going to be) and 'Just After Sunset' by Stephen King (Kindle) :bookworm:

I loved Miss Peregrine's as well....they are planning a movie I hear

About three quarters of the way through Augusten Burroughs Running with Scissors. I know it's a memoir but I truly hope he's made at least some of it up because if not ... :o :o :o

I felt the same exact way when I read the book.

Off to read some more of The Help before bed.

About three quarters of the way through Augusten Burroughs Running with Scissors. I know it's a memoir but I truly hope he's made at least some of it up because if not ... :o :o :o

I thought the same hen! His Mum was very much under a question mark. :o

It would, wouldnt it? can't wait to see who is cast!

Oh I don't know where to begin with casting, it would have been a pretty fierce actress to play Miss Peregrine. :)

Oh I don't know where to begin with casting, it would have been a pretty fierce actress to play Miss Peregrine. :)

Oh I agree! Btw, I believe Tim Burton is directing....makes it all the more interesting. Have you

ever watched the book trailer? Very cool too

I'm happy to hear you could pick up the book again, you seem to have made great progress! Are you liking it? I know what you mean, it's simply unbelievable at times. But it's written in such a funny, detached kind of way, I couldn't help but love the book.

What did you make of it frankie? It took me to a dark, dark place and I felt so helpless that I couldn't do anything .. it made me feel really gloomy shoes.

I know. I just wanted to slap Hooper and make him stop, and I wanted to slap Kingshaw's Mum the hardest and make her lose the custody of her child and I wanted to adopt Kingshaw and just give him a good long cuddle. I was so outraged at times. Well most of the time! Oh and I did want to slap Hooper senior as well, he was as guilty as the rest of them.

Hmph, I can't find the spoiler tag on this!

Have you read much by Ballard before? Do you have any favourites you'd recommend? I have all of his short stories and about half a dozen of his novels, but I haven't actually read anything by him yet. :o I keep buying, though, because I just know I'm going to love him. :)

I read Super-Cannes recently which is sort of a companion to Cocaine Nights which is quite acclaimed. It was a good fast paced thriller, if a little amoral so not for the faint hearted! So I'll read Cocaine Nights at some point too, (again always reading books in the wrong order!). So I'm just discovering him too at the moment Kylie, I know he is very highly rated and the band Joy Division (who I really like) wrote a song called atrocity exhibition after the lead singer read the book so thats a good enough recommendation for me! :)

Edited by The Good Citizen

I loved Miss Peregrine's as well....they are planning a movie I hear

This makes me so happy .. thanks girls :D I haven't read it but I can't wait to and to know that it's great and that they are making a film ... and Tim Burton is to direct .. wow

I'm happy to hear you could pick up the book again, you seem to have made great progress! Are you liking it? I know what you mean, it's simply unbelievable at times. But it's written in such a funny, detached kind of way, I couldn't help but love the book.

I am loving it but it's freaking me out. I'm thinking this has got to be an exaggeration surely. I thought I knew some eccentric people but goodness the Finches take some beating. As for his Mum and Dad :angry: :angry: :angry: Augusten deals with the situation well .. in a 'if you can't beat them join them' sort of way and I suppose if he had had a normal upbringing then this book wouldn't have been written but really :o if any of that had happened to me I would be a total fruitcake by now (instead of being just a slice :lol:)

I know. I just wanted to slap Hooper and make him stop, and I wanted to slap Kingshaw's Mum the hardest and make her lose the custody of her child and I wanted to adopt Kingshaw and just give him a good long cuddle. I was so outraged at times. Well most of the time! Oh and I did want to slap Hooper senior as well, he was as guilty as the rest of them.

Hmph, I can't find the spoiler tag on this!

I felt the same .. total frustration at them all (except Kingshaw) and outrage. I think I hated Kingshaw's Mum the most .. even more than Hooper ... she was too busy thinking about her own future to see what her son was going through .. I felt actual real pain for him .. even though he wasn't real :(

After reading some opinions on different books, I recently borrowed To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and The Time Traveler's Wife by Aurey Niffenegger from my local library. I'm about a quarter of a way through To Kill a Mockingbird at the moment and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm glad I decided to move out of the fantasy genre and throw myself into some of these novels, they've certainly made me think.

All excellent books :) To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favourites.

I started Carter Beats The Devil last night, although I only read about 10 pages. Read some more at lunchtime today, and I think could be a book I will love :) Promising start anyway, so fingers crossed...

I've lately been focusing mainly on some books I need to read for school. Creative Arts Marketing is one of them, been reading it like crazy during the last few days. I hope to finish it in the next few hours so I can get my hands on something a bit lighter.

Oh, I did read one novel a couple of days ago. It was a Finnish one, I don't think it's been translated into English.The name of the writer is Irja Virtanen and the book is about some women in Finland during the Second World War. I really enjoyed reading it and the end managed to shake me even though it was pretty predictable.

I went to the library today and borrowed The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Recommended to me by a work-colleague. I think I'll need tissues from what she has told me. :wibbly:

Yes you will. But it's totally worth it...a beautiful, funny, lovely book :)

Finally about half way through Cryptonomicon, and also reading Frank Rich's autobio, Ghost Light. Also, on kindle reading Prince of Time by Sarah Woodbury.

Received The Stand, and whoa! Gonna finish at least Cryptonomicon before tackling this one. :D