Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Mr. God, This is Anna just arrived - thank you poppy for reminding me of it in your 30-day challenge.

Looking forward to reading this!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Twins, by Marcy Dermansky. This book had some flashes of greatness, but also some disturbing moments (I hated reading about the poor neglected family dog). It's about a pair of twins going through adolescence. One is nice, if a bit of a bland character, and the other is just downright awful. The book rolled along at a great pace, but in the end I got sick of these girls self-absorption and wanted to tell them to just grow up!!

Still moving along with Self Made Man, by Norah Vincent, and am about to start reading Shakespeare on Toast, by Ben Crystal.

I was then organizing one of my bookcases when I stumbled upon Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. I picked it up, read the blurb and then started reading the first page. And I was hooked from the start! I didn't even get off the floor and finish with the organizing first, I just stayed put on the floor and kept reading in amazement :D

Thank you Kylie for recommending the book to me and finally giving up and buying me a copy of it at the book fair :giggle:

Oh wow, you have just made me the happiest person ever! I read it in amazement too and it makes me so happy that you're enjoying it! :D

I read a few chapters of A Monster Calls today. I picked up The Sisters Brothers to read the blurb and take a peak inside, and of course I got hooked and am now reading it. I wish I'd read the blurb earlier, because the title has always bugged me (it looks like there should be an apostrophe in there!) Now I know that 'Sisters' is the brothers' surname. Phew! :)

What, the dining room table, and the lot? :D Haha that's so funny! :lol: (If you want to tell me more, you are always welcome to share doggy stories in my reading blog :smile2:

I finished reading Bimbos of the Death Sun yesterday. Quite a quirky book, I'm not sure what to think of it. I was then organizing one of my bookcases when I stumbled upon Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. I picked it up, read the blurb and then started reading the first page. And I was hooked from the start! I didn't even get off the floor and finish with the organizing first, I just stayed put on the floor and kept reading in amazement :D

Thank you Kylie for recommending the book to me and finally giving up and buying me a copy of it at the book fair :giggle:

He ate the dining room table from the bottom up! I spread this horrid chew prevention stuff called bitter apple on it to put him off but he was licking it of the spreader as I put it on! That must have been the Labrador part of him!! :giggle:

The Phantom Tollbooth looks fab, almost like a Faraway Tree for older kids! It's on the wish list!! :smile:

Edited by chaliepud

If it helps...I'm not really into sci-fi either, but I really really really really enjoyed The Time Machine, by H G Wells. :)

Thank you Ruth. That is pretty much what Janet said too - so that's two of you now!

Will look out for it (and hope to parrot what you said after I read it)

Thank you Ruth. That is pretty much what Janet said too - so that's two of you now!

Will look out for it (and hope to parrot what you said after I read it)

I'd "third" what Ruth and Janet say, bree. I wouldn't look at Wells as "sci-fi" (at least, not in the popularly understood sense of "books for blokes who don't have a girlfriend"). His work is classic literature, to me, and well worth a read for anyone who enjoys outstanding writing.

(and I was only joking about the girlfriends, before anyone starts .... I know it's a misconception)

Edited by Roland Butter

I'd "third" what Ruth and Janet say, bree. I wouldn't look at Wells as "sci-fi" (at least, not in the popularly understood sense of "books for blokes who don't have a girlfriend"). His work is classic literature, to me, and well worth a read for anyone who enjoys outstanding writing.

(and I was only joking about the girlfriends, before anyone starts .... I know it's a misconception)

:giggle: I must confess to a chuckle!

I've just finished The War of the Worlds - I *really* enjoyed it! :)

I'm sold.

(I've nothing against sci-fi - I've just felt that I maybe a bit too thick to "get" it)

Edited by bree

Yes, and it borders on 'book snobbery', which is almost as bad as 'music snobbery'. It's like all genres, there are good and bad examples, and sometimes the bad outweigh the good. The people who have this misconception are usually the ones who haven't read any sf. It'd be like me commenting on chick lit - ain't gonna happen :lol:

I finished The Crucifix Killer - truly abysmal. Started Revenger by Rory Clements this morning.

I have been reading loads recently and as per usual not updated anything on my book list.....

Oracles Moon - Thea Harrison (4th part of the series not as good as the others but not to bad)

A Perfect Blood - Kim Harrison (the I don't know what part of the series must be about 8 or 9) great love this series.

and....mmmm....oh I can't remember a few more will have to look at the Kindle when I get home some good some not great but free so happy days can't wait to be able to sit out in the garden after work for a couple of hours reading again.

I ordered 38 books for £30 today. And then discocvered I had won another book!

So 39 books arriving next week to join the tons of books I already have to read! :o

Wow! your postman is going to be busy next week. :smile:

I started Cause for Alarm by Eric Ambler last night - so far so good.

I finished Pure by Andrew Miller yesterday & have read the first chapter of The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough I've never seen the TV series so don't really know anything about the story but so far so good :smile:

I finished Pure by Andrew Miller yesterday & have read the first chapter of The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough I've never seen the TV series so don't really know anything about the story but so far so good :smile:

Oh god that takes me back I remember my mum and dad not letting me watch it because it was too racy :smile: Richard Chamberlaine played the priest!!! I did sneak a peek at it at a friends house though

Oh god that takes me back I remember my mum and dad not letting me watch it because it was too racy :smile: Richard Chamberlaine played the priest!!! I did sneak a peek at it at a friends house though

I loved watching The Thorn Birds, my Mum and I used to watch it together, I've never thought to pick up the book though...

I went to a cheap local bookstore with my mum today and she treated me to some books! :D

I got The Borgia Ring by Michael White

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins - I have heard this author is good

War by Sebastian Junger - another doco war book

^ something you may find interesting Danielle?

Oh wow, you have just made me the happiest person ever! I read it in amazement too and it makes me so happy that you're enjoying it! :D

I knew you'd be pretty psyched :lol:

He ate the dining room table from the bottom up! I spread this horrid chew prevention stuff called bitter apple on it to put him off but he was licking it of the spreader as I put it on! That must have been the Labrador part of him!!

No he didn't? :D That's so funny! I've seen pics on internet where a dog owner's bought a can of chew prevention stuff, and then the can's been bitten to bits, apparently some dogs like the taste, I think maybe one of the pics was taken by you after Dylan hit the can? :D

The Phantom Tollbooth looks fab, almost like a Faraway Tree for older kids! It's on the wish list!! :smile:

I would recommend it, and I know Kylie would too :)

What a coinkydinky, I started reading Colleen McCullough's The Ladies of Missalonghi the day before yesterday. I continued reading it yesterday and there were a few choice of words that would've got me killed if I'd been drinking something: I would've definitely choke on the liquid! I'm really looking forward to reading The Thorn Birds now :)

I loved watching The Thorn Birds, my Mum and I used to watch it together, I've never thought to pick up the book though...

It's my aunt's favourite book and she has told me to read it goodness knows how many times. I do have a copy, and hope to get to it at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Started Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier today :)

Chesil

I LOVED Remarkable Creatures . Hope you do so, too :)

It's my aunt's favourite book and she has told me to read it goodness knows how many times. I do have a copy, and hope to get to it at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Ruth

Thorn Birds was such a wonderful book. I read it a LONG time ago, probably the year it came out. Never saw the movie,so can't comment on it .

I am still reading Gillespie and I by Jane Harris

Halfway done,and one of the best books I've read in a long time. Sure hope the second half is as good as the first half has been .