Your book activity in 2012

Kell

HG Wells = sci-fi, correct?

Not my cup of tea - but glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it's sci-fi - not my normal genre either. I've not finished yet but what I have read so far is excellent! :)

Then I acquired all of Agatha Christie's books for the bargain price of 69p all in one handy electronic device. Apparently this is 88 novels.

Wow - good luck! :giggle:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I can never decide which book of my TBR shelf to read next, we now have a routine where my daughter chooses for me! So, I have now started Beautiful Creatures (Kami Garcia), I bought this ages ago and never seem to have gotten around to reading it, I hope it's good! :smile:

Then I acquired all of Agatha Christie's books for the bargain price of 69p all in one handy electronic device. Apparently this is 88 novels.

Wow! How exciting!

(I have around 20 of them in paperback and hope to own them all someday)

Enjoy yourself!

Yes, it's sci-fi - not my normal genre either. I've not finished yet but what I have read so far is excellent! :)

I'm tempted. But sci-fi. Oh dear.

But I guess one book won't hurt...

Finished The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein). I really enjoyed it, I want an Enzo!!! :-)

:lol: I know what you mean. Enzo rules! :wub::smile2: What a brilliant novel! Did you find the bits with the zebra funny? :giggle: And what Enzo did to certain very important papers?

If you'd like to read more great books with a doggy narrator, I would recommend Matt Haig's The Last Family in England. It's not as good as The Art of Racing in the Rain, but a great read anyhow :)

Edited by frankie

Gave up on 22 Britannia Road as I just couldn't get into it, and knowing I need to finish it this weekend, I decided it was going to be too much of a slog for a lovely sunny morning. Started Run Rabbit Run by Kate Johnson instead, which is a comic female spy novel (sort of chick lit with guns) and is a perfect fit for the weekend :smile2: Already a third of the way through it!

I've been dithering for the most part, but have finally gotten about 2/3rds of the way through Bloodland by Alan Glynn. It's a neat little story, quite twisty in nature. High finance, politics, ex- P.M.s...the whole bit. :D

:lol: I know what you mean. Enzo rules! :wub::smile2: What a brilliant novel! Did you find the bits with the zebra funny? :giggle: And what Enzo did to certain very important papers?

If you'd like to read more great books with a doggy narrator, I would recommend Matt Haig's The Last Family in England. It's not as good as The Art of Racing in the Rain, but a great read anyhow :)

I loved the zebra bits! I think maybe my Dylan had the same problem with our dining room table, and the camera..... and the stove igniter.... and the dozens of letters coming through the door that were unreadable once he'd got hold of them! :giggle2: The important papers part was brilliant too, I was egging him on!!! :giggle:

I have The Last Family in England on my wish list, I'm trying soooo hard not to buy and books at the moment, but I'll definitely get to it at some point.. maybe when I get my Kindle I can download it! Thanks again for the recommendation frankie. :friends3:

Finished The Buried Circle by Jenni Mills. Set in and around the stone circle in 1938/42/2005. 4/5

Will have a night off reading and start The Hunger Trace by Edward Hogan bright & early!

Speaking of the book theif, I finished that this morning! Finally.

Now I think I may start on pied piper.

Edited by Devi

Completed the Christie's Tommy & Tuppence collection of short-stories : Partners In Crime.

A light read - made enjoyable only because of the duo - the plots are rather insipid.

2.5 on 5 this one.

I havnt read yet today cause I just woke up but I am going to continue reading anne of avonlea

Hi Gad, that sounds fun!

How did you find the first book - Anne of Green Gables?

I love Anne of Green Gables. That and Heidi were two of the most read books of my childhood.

Yay! Me too.

But poppy is the true-blue Heidi fan - she had her own goats and named them the same as Heidi!

It has been a most productive year for me so far book wise, with around 14 or so books read already - this time last year I had managed not even a quarter of that. I have been averaging around one book every 5 days since I got my Kindle last August and it has definately changed my reading habits. I read 4 books alone during the week that I recently spent on Lundy - Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indridason, Chronicle in Stone by Ismail Kadare, Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver (I didn't think her first one, Dilirum could possibly be equalled, but this, the sequal was even better, real seat of the pants stuff), and last but no means least, Drums on the Night Air by Veronica Cecil. Inspired by The Artist, I am now about halfway through reading Charlie Chaplin's Autobiography.

I just finshed Sean Black's Lockdown. It was a okay book; on one hand it was well written, but on the other, it was too much action. Even he was getting compared to Lee Child, he wasn't as good as Lee. The plot was impulsable at times, so in that case, it could of been better in that sense. Ovarell, it was a enjoyable read.

I loved the zebra bits! I think maybe my Dylan had the same problem with our dining room table, and the camera..... and the stove igniter.... and the dozens of letters coming through the door that were unreadable once he'd got hold of them! :giggle2: The important papers part was brilliant too, I was egging him on!!! :giggle:

What, the dining room table, and the lot? :D Haha that's so funny! :lol: (If you want to tell me more, you are always welcome to share doggy stories in my reading blog :smile2:

I have The Last Family in England on my wish list, I'm trying soooo hard not to buy and books at the moment, but I'll definitely get to it at some point.. maybe when I get my Kindle I can download it! Thanks again for the recommendation frankie.

Well as long as you have it on your wishlist and will get to it at some point ;) You're welcome, I'm only too happy to recommend books I enjoy to people who are likely to enjoy them, too :smile2::friends3:

I finished reading Bimbos of the Death Sun yesterday. Quite a quirky book, I'm not sure what to think of it. I was then organizing one of my bookcases when I stumbled upon Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. I picked it up, read the blurb and then started reading the first page. And I was hooked from the start! I didn't even get off the floor and finish with the organizing first, I just stayed put on the floor and kept reading in amazement :D

Thank you Kylie for recommending the book to me and finally giving up and buying me a copy of it at the book fair :giggle:

Edited by frankie

It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.

Some parents go further.

They become so blinded by adoration they manage to convince themselves their child has qualities of genius.

Well, there is nothing very wrong with all this. It's the way of the world.

It is only when the parents begin telling us about the brilliance of their own revolting offspring, that we start shouting, "Bring us a basin! We're going to be sick!"

Done with Matilda!

What a splendid book!

I have just finished The Mask of Atreus by A J Hartley and am now reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, this is part of Hunstanton's Town Read to try and get as many people as possible reading the same book in town, organised by the Library.

I have just finished The Mask of Atreus by A J Hartley and am now reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, this is part of Hunstanton's Town Read to try and get as many people as possible reading the same book in town, organised by the Library.

What a fantasic idea , will there be a chance to get together after & discuss what you all thought of it ?

I'm hoping to finish Pure Andrew Miller today I haven't enjoyed it so looking forward to starting something else.