Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completed Desert Spear Last night, thus bringing me up-to-date with Peter V.Brett's The Painted Man saga. Hugely impressed with it. It started a little slowly but gave a great background account of what was happening during the first book in Krasia (for those that have read the first book). Once it catches up to where the first book left off, it carries on from the multiple perspectives of all the other characters turning the book into a Fantasy Opera of sorts.

Thoroughly enjoyed the character development as well as the story telling. Can't wait for Book 3 to be published now. I really do recommend people read this series. I can see this becoming quite popular once people start to find out about it.

Now that's over I'm back to Peter F. Hamilton with Pandora's Star. I've been told it's a little bit of work but still a great read and lays the foundations for the Commonwealth Saga with I am eagre to get to.

I've finished The Stand, and all I can say is......that it's well worth the time invested.

It is a great read, isn't it? Was this your first time reading it?

Now that's over I'm back to Peter F. Hamilton with Pandora's Star. I've been told it's a little bit of work but still a great read and lays the foundations for the Commonwealth Saga with I am eagre to get to.

I read this one several years ago and loved it. I plan on re-reading it again at some point, so I can then read the sequel. Hope you like it as much as I did. :smile:

It is a great read, isn't it? Was this your first time reading it?

Well, funny thing that. I thought I'd read it when it came out the first time, but nothing in this longer version was familiar to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't start the Dark Tower series back then. :eek: lol

I loved Tom Cullen, he was simply fantastic, especially with what he accomplished.

Laws yes, Tom Cullen was great. Stu Redman was my favourite character though. :blush2:

I've finished Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. Really enjoyed it. I've now decided to read Helter Skelter, which is the story of the Manson murders. Scary stuff. I have read the book before, several years ago, but I'm much more freaked out by it now. :hide:

Tonight I found a brand new book lying on the ground while I was walking ot work. Someone must have dropped it in the last 5 mins before I got there or it would have been in a state with this damp weather. Deep Black by Andy Mcnab. not my usual style, but never look a gift horse in the mouth and all that! :)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phonenix is by far my favourite harry potter book, I think the film did not give it much justice however, but it's mainly my favourite because it's the biggest of the harry potter books and I have fondest memories of queing up at midnight to buy it!

I havent read much today, I sat in the lounge after having some dinner intending to get back into The End of Mr Y and instead have ended up drinking a bottle of wine and playing singstar with the family which was great fun :)

Tomorrow is a chill out day so I'll probably do some more reading then!

Pontaba- how was The Stand? It's one book I would like to read one day.

I finished The Maltese Falcon last night and now I've gone back to finish the Hitler book I started last year, by a Finnish author Veikko Huovinen. Remember the mean farter? Huovinen has a way with words, eventhough the subject is heinous, he's making me chuckle every now and then with his choice of words.

BG, The Stand was one of those books I hated to put down, and couldn't wait to pick up again. I'm sorry it's over actually.

I've started Stolen Souls by Stuart Neville, it's the third in the (so far) trilogy taking place mostly in Belfast. The first one The Ghosts of Belfast was Neville's first novel, and really and truly blew me away. Great concept. Wonderful characters.

Mum and I bought a shared copy of Others by James Herbert. I've got the first read, and so far it's amazing!

I'm not a big fan of James Herbert, but I have read 'Others' and I really enjoyed it. I hope you do too!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phonenix is by far my favourite harry potter book, I think the film did not give it much justice however, but it's mainly my favourite because it's the biggest of the harry potter books and I have fondest memories of queing up at midnight to buy it!

I find the series just gets better and better. I'm a bit sad that I only have 2 books to go. :hissyfit: I'm planning on watching the movie this weekend; I don't enjoy them as much as the books but they are still very watchable. It's also interesting to see how the actors are growing up. They were so young when the first movie came out!

Finished All Quiet on the Western Front last night, definitely a book that got better and better the further I got into it...

Not sure what to read next, I need to take a look at my TBR shelf. :-)))

I know what to read now! I just got a proof copy of A Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen from Waterstones which was one of their Waterstones 11, their pick of the best debut novels of 2012, as brought to our attention by the lovely Poppyshake. I'll hopefully start it today, just have my sons 7th birthday party to get through first! :smile: :smile: :smile:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/grace+mccleen/the+land+of+decoration/8613106/

Murakami Haruki seems to be my auther of 2012 so far as I'm no on my 3rd of the year which is the pretty damn good 'Kafka on the shore'

Yes the harry potter series does get better the more you get into it, and I agree, Daniel Radcliffe is definatley hot now hes older!

I will have to find a copy of The Stand now to satisfy my curiosity, but I should read my library books first!

I have FINALLY finished 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett, after at least a month of ploughing through it. I'd love to say that this book was worth reading, but unfortunately I found this novel very disappointing.

Now I'm returning to 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' by Arthur Conan Doyle. The is the first novel I have read on my tablet PC and I have only had the chance to read a little of the story, due to trying to finish 'Fall of Giants'. Time will tell whether reading a novel on a tablet, will be as good as reading a 'real' book.

Tonight I found a brand new book lying on the ground while I was walking ot work. Someone must have dropped it in the last 5 mins before I got there or it would have been in a state with this damp weather. Deep Black by Andy Mcnab. not my usual style, but never look a gift horse in the mouth and all that! :)

Lucky you. :) Poor them too though - I bet they're gutted!

I finished the road by cormack McCarthy today and loved it, I think there was a slightly different ending to the movie, more of a scene location, which isn't anything major. I now have the urge to rewatch the movie though.

Now onto the Book Thief!

Edited by Devi

I started The Paris Wife last night and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I must have picked that up and put it down so many times in bookshops. I really like books that weave fact and fiction. Knowing me, I will end up getting it at some point!

Finished All Quiet on the Western Front last night, definitely a book that got better and better the further I got into it...

Not sure what to read next, I need to take a look at my TBR shelf. :-)))

All Quiet on the Western Front - just an amazing book. I have the urge to reread it now.

I'm reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - can't imagine why I never showed any interest until now, they're fantastic - as well as The Gathering by Anne Enright.

I have The Gathering on my tbr, and all of the Stieg Larsson trilogy. I have heard such mixed reviews about the Larsson books, but the general consensus seems to be that they're brilliant if you can get through the first 100 pages or so.