Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

life's too short to persevere with books you just know you're not going to enjoy..

I agree with that comment wholeheartedly, I used to persevere with books till the bitter end, then like a flash it came to me, why do I put myself through this, I read for pleasure not cos I have to, and lifes too short and besides there are too many awesome books out there to read, to waste time on ones you do are not enjoying :)

I finished the February Reading Circle book today. I haven't started a new one yet - I'm trying to decide whether to spend 77p on a Kindle book when I a) said I'd only download free books until my 'to read' pile starts reducing and b) have a hard copy on said 'to read' pile. Hmmm.

Finished "The Cecils" by David Loades. I've had this book for about a year and started it two or three times but finally managed to finish it this time. Fascinating subjects but not the most readable book in the world.

Trying to start "Charles Dickens - a life" by Claire Tomalin

On our foraging trip the other day at the Estate Sale, we found some great Taylor Caldwell books, I've read them, but either no longer have my old copies, or can't find them..... :blush2:

Testimony of Two Men

A Prologue to Love

Dear and Glorious Physician

and funnily enough, in the mail, bought second hand from Amazon Market Place,

The Listener

The Arm and The Darkness

Also:

The Sin-Eater by Thomas Lynch

Victory by Joseph Conrad

Under Surge Under Siege by Ellis Anderson [The Odyssey of Bay St. Louis and Katrina]

A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes [The Russian Revolution 1891-1924]

Been running so much, haven't had a moment, hardly anyhow, to read.

I loved Doc, thought it was amazing, and as far as I have read in the past, true. I found the ending to be a bit "lets wrap it up quickly", but that is the only thing that kept my rating a bit down. I reviewed it last year on my thread here.

Thanks for the comments, Pontalba. I'll go look up your review . I have some of the free kindle ooks about Holliday,so maybe I will compare them to how the novel goes . An interesting character,wasn't he ?

I finished the February Reading Circle book today. I haven't started a new one yet - I'm trying to decide whether to spend 77p on a Kindle book when I a) said I'd only download free books until my 'to read' pile starts reducing and b) have a hard copy on said 'to read' pile. Hmmm.

I had this dilemma last night. Whether to spend 77p on A Study in Scarlet when I have it on my shelf (very feint, tiny print though!) :blush2: then I accidently clicked buy! Decision made. :giggle:

I started The Hunger Games this morning, only managed to squeeze a chapter in but so far so good.

I loved this trilogy, so I hope you enjoy them. :smile:

I finished 'Clockwork Prince', the second in Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series.I'm enjoying this series that seem a itte creepier and darker than her Mortal Instruments series.

Yesterday I finished the Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson, and would you believe it left a cliffhanger, so I immediately started The Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest on my kindle in PDF format, however a few pages in it was blank pages, and the whole book was blank pages, so when I got home, I checked the original on my computer, and it was ok, so I converted it into MOBI format, downloaded it onto my Kindle and was ok, thank goodness.

I've bought The Hunger Games trilogy on Kindle the other day - am saving it for some long flights in November. And I've nearly finished reading The Einstein Girl, by Philip Sington, for my f2f reading group. It's okay - has some interesting moments, but I'm ready to be done with it now.

I finished One Day David Nicholls and have started Sharpe's Triumph Bernard Cornwell I'm determined to finish the Sharpe series this year as it will leave a huge amount of space on my book shelves.

I am on my 5th book for the year so far, which is really 3 books in one, since it is a trilogy of 3 novellas. Love, Anger, Madness by Haitian author (now deceased) Maria Vieux-Chauvet. The book, which was translated from its original French in I believe 2009, is regarded as a classic in Haitian literature, and now that I am nearing the end of the first novella, Love, I can see why. Marie really did have a remarkable affinity with words, and the book in places, to me at least, reads almost like poetry with an almost dreamlike quality. Definately one I would recommend., although it isn't cheap. In my experience though, the best books rarely are.

Last Friday I bought 'My ear at his heart' by Hanif Kureishi.

Today I finished reading 'Great House' by Nicole Krauss, very impressive and touching book, mysterious and intriguing.

I'm also reading a book by Ies Vuijsje, a Dutch scholar about the perception of the Holocaust in the Second World War. According to his study people in Holland knew more about the murder of Jews (and of Gypsies, the ill, political opponents, etc who often aren't mentioned) than they were willing to admit. He shows how our views about that were formed and how we all clung to a myth. I haven't finished everything yet, but so far he has a solid ground for his claims.

I began 'The writing on my forehead' today by Nafisa Haji. I have a Dutch edition from our local library.

Edited by sadya