Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Hi Kell

Another good response to Sisters Brothers ! Glad you liked it .

I am S T I L L reading If Jack's In Love. Taken me a long time,not because the book is thick,but I guess Life has gotten in the way of reading this week somewhat . I will probably finish it today,since I'm pretty close now . It has been really good. I'm wondering how it will all tie up in the end .

Edited by julie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt last night. Very good. :)

Glad to hear it! :)

Hi Kell

Another good response to Sisters Brothers ! Glad you liked it .

I am S T I L L reading If Jack's In Love. Taken me a long time,not because the book is thick,but I guess Life has gotten in the way of reading this week somewhat . I will probably finish it today,since I'm pretty close now . It has been really good. I'm wondering how it will all tie up in the end .

LOL You are not alone in dragging your feet reading. I'm still only about a quarter into Cryptonomicon. Just haven't had the time to read lately. When I do pick it up, it is really interesting, and grabs me.

I'm still reading Genus; my reading too has been dragging as work is busy this week. I'm hoping I'll have some time to read this weekend. Also, I'm just having a nice mug of hot chocolate, and when that's finished I plan on soaking in the bath with my Kindle. :soaking1:

Still 'The Child Thief' by Brom (book) and Cool Hand Luke by Donn Pearce (Kindle) :)

Are you enjoying The Child Thief, Paula? I'll freely admit I adored it, but then I love all Brom's work. :)

started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night

I really fancy the look of this one. :)

Working my way through more Holmes in the form of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I really just love how they're written. Maybe I should start some sort of 'Sherlock Challenge' where we list all the Holmes texts and set about getting them all finished (could be an idea, if it's not already about somewhere). I also went shopping and bought:

Dracula. - Bram Stoker

The Green Mile. - Stephen King

One False Move. - Harlan Coben

The Bone Collecter. - Jeffery Deaver

A good haul for £10. I've also made a definite promise to read some King this year, I own quite a lot of his books now.

Edited by Ben

Working my way through more Holmes in the form of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I really just love how they're written. Maybe I should start some sort of 'Sherlock Challenge' where we list all the Holmes texts and set about getting them all finished (could be an idea, if it's not already about somewhere). I also went shopping and bought:

Dracula. - Bram Stoker

The Green Mile. - Stephen King

One False Move. - Harlan Coben

The Bone Collecter. - Jeffery Deaver

A good haul for £10. I've also made a definite promise to read some King this year, I own quite a lot of his books now.

I've not read the Coben book, but otherwise an excellent haul! :)

I started The Absolutist by John Boyne - been looking forward to reading it for ages since I read so many good reviews of it. It started out excellently, really had me hooked, then... It turned into an overly sentimental mess - not my thing at all!

Think I'll rather read a bit of John Irving, instead.

Finished The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest and I loved it. Will do my review some point over the weekend.

Started Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. Much to the joy of my oldest. I stopped reading it after chapter three as I had the hardback edition and I struggled to read at night. after buing it on the kindle I have no problem now :)

I have also come to the conclusion that I am giving up on Next. I just have no interest in it anymore. Like I've said in previous posts I loved the subject matter but there were too many storylines which too many one dimensional characters.

LOL You are not alone in dragging your feet reading. I'm still only about a quarter into Cryptonomicon. Just haven't had the time to read lately. When I do pick it up, it is really interesting, and grabs me.

Hi Pontalba :)

Sorry to hear you have been too busy to get much reading time in either . Hopefully we will both have things settle down soon .

Have you guys gotten any of the nasty weather down that way this week ? We finally got our first good hard snowfall. We don't have a lot out there,but the way it snowed yesterday, it looked like a blizzard . VERY slippery driving .

Also, I'm just having a nice mug of hot chocolate, and when that's finished I plan on soaking in the bath with my Kindle. :soaking1:

Bobbly

That sure sounds great ! Perfect way to lean back and relax a bit .

Ben

It sounds like you found some good books there . The Green Mile was really good .At the time I read it ,it was coming out in really small paperbacks, so the book was cut up into small pieces so you only got a bit of the story at a time . It'll be much better with it all together .

You sound like me with the Holmes books. If I find a book I like a lot, then I read a whole bunch more by the same author if I can find them .

Edited by julie

I started The Absolutist by John Boyne - been looking forward to reading it for ages since I read so many good reviews of it. It started out excellently, really had me hooked, then... It turned into an overly sentimental mess - not my thing at all!

Think I'll rather read a bit of John Irving, instead.

Ah, that's too bad! I didn't think Boyne was capable of that. I need to read the book and see for myself :) I hope it doesn't spoil your reading mojo for long!

I read more of Dead Simple last night in bed, it's going pretty good, I like it so far.

Hey Julie,

We have had two nights of 26F, but tonight it's supposed to be warmer, maybe in the 40's I think. The days have been magnificant, clear blue skies and very chilly. Enough for a sweater and coat, but not necissarily a heavy coat even. We do get snow every decade or so. :) In fact in December of 2008 I had 2 feet of snow in the yard. That was mind blowing for me, I can tell you! I've never seen that much snow. It fell big and wet for all night, and a goodly part of the day here. The quiet was amazing. I've seen dusting of snow maybe 3 times in my life besides that.

I think for the reading, I have to remember to bring the kindle upstairs and read before I go to sleep for awhile. Good way to make time and a better dent.

Ben,

I read most, if not all of Sherlock Holmes when I was young, and enjoyed them then. I read Hound of the Baskervilles again at the beginning of last year and felt let down somehow. Maybe I watch too many detective shows. :) I found myself resenting the way Holmes spoke to Watson.

Your enthusiasm has made me want to go back though, and reread more to check them out again.

Ok, we kinda went crazy yesterday between the estate sale and B&N.....here's the list.

Estate Sale

Crusader's Cross by James Lee Burke

MoMA Highlights [350 Works from the Museum of Modern Art New York]

Grand Central Gateway to a Million Lives by John Belle and Maxinne R. Leighton

The Crusades by Joe Oldenbourg

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett we already had the HB, but this is a lighter trade PB

Tuxedo Park by Jennet Conant

Not Me by Michael Lavigne

After All These Years by Susan Isaacs

B&N

Mathematics, The Loss of Certainty by Kline

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Espionage by David Owen

Kate by William J. Mann

Elizabeth I by Margaret George

A Covert Affair by Jennet Conant

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Frozen Assets by Quentin Bates

The Other Life by Ellen Meister

All except the last two were bargain priced.

Happiness :readingtwo:

Pontalba

It certanly sounds like your weather down there is pretty doggone good most of the winter.Anoccasional snowfall once in awhile would be much 6easier to deal with,although I can't complain this year so far. It has been unbelieveably nice.Bright blue skies and sunshine almost every day til this latest snow hit us,which didn't amount to a big pile, just a lot of blowing and drifitng yesterday and very cold today .

It also sounds like you guys hit some really good book hauls lately,so you will have some great entertainment to last awhile.

Do you and your husband both enjoy the same books, or are part yours and part his ?

I finished my kindle Freebie The Uprising (The fall of Haven) this evening. I also read a bit more of my tribute to Sherlock Holmes The Mammoth book of New Sherlock Holmes adventures. I also managed to pick up 3 books for £1 from a libraru sale today including Kelly Armstrong's - Industrial Magic, Simon R Green's - Deathstalker Coda and Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony I have read the first two but don't own them, I just wish they were in little better ondition.

Pontalba

It certanly sounds like your weather down there is pretty doggone good most of the winter.Anoccasional snowfall once in awhile would be much 6easier to deal with,although I can't complain this year so far. It has been unbelieveably nice.Bright blue skies and sunshine almost every day til this latest snow hit us,which didn't amount to a big pile, just a lot of blowing and drifitng yesterday and very cold today .

It also sounds like you guys hit some really good book hauls lately,so you will have some great entertainment to last awhile.

Do you and your husband both enjoy the same books, or are part yours and part his ?

We pretty much like the same things, and read each others books all the time. Sort of a Yours, Mine, and Ours dipping into all of same.

Re the weather, he is from New York, and keeps asking me when the winter will arrive. :P

Finished a book about Finnish biker gangs and criminal gangs in general earlier today. Interesting and actual one (it isn't long since two men were brutally murdered by two gang members - not bikers though).

Pontalba

That would be handy if you both like the same books. My husband likes war books and all nonfiction ,so we really wouldnt read many of the same ones I don't think.

I like reading about the Civil War,but he likes WW 1 and 2 books .

And I'd certainly understand your husband liking the weather down there a lot better ! No big thunky coats, no shoveling, no slick roads .