Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I finished Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson, today - loved it! I haven't read a good thriller in a while, so this was brilliant.

This year I want to read more, but buy less (does that make sense? :P) and vanquish Mt. TBR. Just have to convince myself that nothing bad will happen if I don't have ten books on the bedside table waiting to be read. Nothing bad at all... Right...? :hide:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne by Cody Young on the Kindle - a nice combination of paranormal romance, historical mystery and time travel - bizarrely it works rather well!

Congrats on completing Night Circus Chalie -

I am about halfway done with Broadmore Revealed ( Kindle book ). Pretty interesting .

Broadmoor is just a few miles from where I live - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital - in fact every Monday at 10am the alarms are tested, they have alarms all around the surrounding area, and we have contact pyramids in place at all the local schools should there ever be an escape so parents can collect their children or the children can be safely kept in school.

What happens if there is ever an escape at 10 am I am not sure!!! :o

Only managed to read a few pages of The Mammoth Hunters today as I've been mega busy but we went to Tropical World this morning & I bought a lovely holographic butterfly bookmark from the shop.

I am about two thirds of the way through a crime fiction novel based in the Solomon Islands (South Pacific). It has been a bit of a laborious read if I am honest, but it is interesting in a weird sort of way - not your usual crime fiction at all but filled with strange things like death curses, cargo cult uprisings and head hunters.

As part of my mass clearout, I've been seeing which of the unread books I have are available as free downloads on the Kindle, and have just replaced many of the classics I have had sitting on the shelf for ages. Hopefuly this will help gear me towards reading them a bit sooner as I'm finding I read faster on the Kindle and therefore I'll hopefully be more inclined to try tackling these on it. It also frees up some extra shelf space... icon_wink.gif:)

My first read of the year was the first volume in the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. It was a great read, it had me hooked right from the start - the only bad thing I could say about it, really, is that it was maybe a bit predictable at times.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next two volumes though! Will probably run out to the bookstore first thing tomorrow. ^^

Happy reading this year everyone. :)

I've Just finished 'The Pale Horse' by Agatha Christie. I'm not generally a reader of murder mysteries, but I really enjoyed this book. I think I might read some more of Christie's novels in the future.

It's really interesting that so many posters have discovered Agatha Christie over the last few weeks.

I read "Ten Popes who Shook the World". Now started Barnaby Rudge by Dickens and "Wonders of the Universe" by Brian Cox.

Broadmoor is just a few miles from where I live - http://en.wikipedia....admoor_Hospital - in fact every Monday at 10am the alarms are tested, they have alarms all around the surrounding area, and we have contact pyramids in place at all the local schools should there ever be an escape so parents can collect their children or the children can be safely kept in school.

What happens if there is ever an escape at 10 am I am not sure!!! :o

Wow Chalie

That is really interesting . I guess I thought the place might have been closed down .I'm not sure why I thought that, other than probably watching all those ghosthunting shows where they go to abandoned places like that .

It's probably a good thing to have the alarm system as a safety measure ,just in case anyone dangerous would get loose

You brought up a good point about the alarm ,how would you know if it was just a drill if someone got loose at that time ?

Just finished The Night Circus - on my second attempt. It took a while to get into it and I only continued past the 100 page point due to the great reviews on here. I'm very pleased I did as the second half of the book was much better than the first in my opinion.

I have Night Circus on the TBR pile, looking forward to it, glad to hear it is good!

Congrats on completing Night Circus Chalie -

I am about halfway done with Broadmore Revealed ( Kindle book ). Pretty interesting .

I took a look on Amazon, it does look interesting, and the price was right. :P

I've started reading Simon Pegg's autobiography, Nerd Do Well.

He was absolutely adorable in the Star Trek film. Made a great young Scotty. That is the only time I've seen him.

Hi Pontalba

Yep, the Broadmoore book was a bargain . Doesn't seem like it will be a really long read either . I'm kinda juggling 2 books at once,so that's why it's not done yet .

Michelle very kindly sent me Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper after I mentioned that it was on my Amazon wish List. :)

I downloaded another Kindle book yesterday -The Golden Acorn: The Adventures of Jack Brenin by Catherine Cooper. I know nothing about it (except it's a YA book) but it was free so I thought why not?!

Nearly finished Fleabag & The Ring Fire! I'm still reading every day, just, not as much as I'd like, so I really get to get on that.

EDIT: Just did some researching for free (and well-recieved) Kindle books. Found a few that could be alright, if anyone has read any it'd be nice to know what you thought :) I don't expect most of them to be anything spectacular, but I'm always willing to go hunting for gems.

The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper

The Fox by Arlene Radasky

Hollowland (Book 1) by Amanda Hocking

44 by Jools Sinclair

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

The Strange Case Of Finley Jane by Kady Cross

The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll

Love, Life & A Polar Bear Tattoo by Heather Wardell

These all have a minimum of a 4 star rating across a fairly good chunk of reviews each, so hopefully at least one or two will be good! There's a mix of fantasy, horror, YA, children's, romance and historical fiction in there too.

I'm coming to the end of 'Coffee At Luke's' and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been so interesting to read theories and opinions on The Gilmore Girls series. 'The Last Dragonslayer' has taken a back seat while I have been working my way through it. I hope to have both finished by the weekend, if my week doesn't get any busier than it currently looks to be.

Edited by Chrissy

Ok so I want to read more books this year, kind of wanting to have read maybe 70 by the end of 2012, but have only managed to read one so far oops! As for my book activity today, I stayed up until 2 am finishing The Hunger Games (the first book) and have started reading the second book! Skirnir go and get the other ones! You will want to read them trust me.

I bought quite a few books to read over the festive period, one of which I should have finished before starting to read The Hunger Games but oh well! I bought:

The Hunger Games Triology (obvioudly) by Suzeanne Collins

The Understudy- David Nicholls (After reading One Day, I wanted to try another one of his books)

The Help- Kathryn Stockett (always wanted to read this book)

The Slap- Christos Tsiolkas which is the one I have yet to finish reading (nearly finished it though!)

Hmm going to have to read a lot of my TBR list this year if I aim to read at least 70 books!

I've been reading Tolstoi's Anna Karenina yesterday and today. I decided to stay away from libraries until I've read at least most of the unread books that sit on my shelf, and one of them is Anna Karenina. I've been looking forward to picking this one up. So far so good.

These are all fantastic books. Have you read Maggie O'Farrell before? If not, you have picked the right ones to start with. :smile:

Thanks! I've read only one book of hers, After You'd Gone, which I loved! I was actually looking to buy My Lovers Lover and Distance Between Us, but both books are not easy to find here in the US for some reason.

I read about 300 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White over the weekend. Getting close to the end and I'm dying to see what happens!