Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Same as all the old book activity threads - a new thread for the new year.

So, what books have you been reading today? Have you bought any? Borrowed any? Let everyone know! :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still reading Valiant by Holly Black, and enjoying it far more than I expected - it's better than I remember! Other than that I've been overhauling my bookblog so it's good to go for the new year. :)

Just Finished the Bill Clinton Biography, Just started the George Bush Biography (god knows why) and I'm still enjoying 1Q84

I finished reading The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter.

I spent large parts of the last two days reorganising my library and shuffling all the books along to make way for my new purchases. I am well over capacity now and need to buy another bookcase. The new bookcase will have to go downstairs, so I've been taking measurements and planning. I'll have to buy doors for this one to keep my cat away.

I have started the new year with very strong intentions to buy a *lot* less books. I have a feeling I started last year the same way, but let's not get into that...

I spent large parts of the last two days reorganising my library and shuffling all the books along to make way for my new purchases. I am well over capacity now and need to buy another bookcase. The new bookcase will have to go downstairs, so I've been taking measurements and planning. I'll have to buy doors for this one to keep my cat away.

How about that door that you took off it's hinges when we were getting you the new Billy when I was over there? Did you keep the door, by any chance :giggle: And would it fit back?

I have started the new year with very strong intentions to buy a *lot* less books. I have a feeling I started last year the same way, but let's not get into that...

We'll forget about last year, but I won't let you forget this year. I'm going to be watching your book buying very closely this year, missy, and you know why!! And I'm gonna be a strict muthafutha, you're going to learn to hate me this year ;)

Me too, I've vowed to stay out of the charity shops to avoid temptation :D

We'll forget about last year, but I won't let you forget this year. I'm going to be watching your book buying very closely this year, missy, and you know why!! And I'm gonna be a strict muthafutha, you're going to learn to hate me this year ;)

I think you should be appointed forum bouncer Frankie so that you can keep an eye on us all :giggle:

Read a bit more of Into The Darkest Corner today. I'm also reading The Adventures of Tintin to my youngest DS & The Chimney Corner Collection , a book of short stories by Enid Blyton to my youngest DD. So plenty of book activity going on in our house. :readingtwo:

I've had quite a bookish weekend. I was over at my boyfriends and took the Kindle with me and nothing else.

I read Broadmoor Revealed by Mark Stevens and also The Girl Who Couldn't Say No by Tracy Engelbrecht. Two books over a weekend isnt bad, I think ill be reading a lot quicker on my Kindle!

Then I started The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Its one that I've always wanted to read but never got around to.

Then I had a little downloading spree on the Kindle too

• Rosie's War: An Englishwomans Escape from Occupied France
  • The Secret Holocaust Diaries
  • Across A Moonlit Sea (Pirate Wolf #1)
  • Wind Orchid (The Orchid Trilogy #1)

I've just finished 'The Long Song' by Andrea Levy. In general I enjoyed the novel, but found the use of different perspectives to be both jarring and at times, a little confusing.

Now I'm just about to begin reading 'The Pale Horse' by Agatha Christie. I have only read one of Christie's novels before, but I would like to read more.

Still haven't done any reading today, but I have bought another book on the 12 days of Kindle sale - Balls of Confusion by Johnny Ball. His television programmes were one of the highlights of childrens television for me, and couldn't resist when I saw it in the sale. :)

I think you should be appointed forum bouncer Frankie so that you can keep an eye on us all :giggle:

:D Haha I don't want any more enemies! ;) However, if there are any volunteers who'd like my bouncing, always happy to help!

I did a little rearranging of bookshelves today, it's looking much nicer, but I haven't figured out the complete system. I'm wondering if I should put things back the way they were, or go with something new. And now I just can't be bothered with it. Very odd!

Haven't done any reading yet today, but I did find time to do a little book shopping.

I got:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Ellis Island by Kate Kerrigan

North and South by John Jakes

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

The Hand That Fist Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

Fleetwood Mac: The Definitive History by Mike Evans

How about that door that you took off it's hinges when we were getting you the new Billy when I was over there? Did you keep the door, by any chance :giggle: And would it fit back?

I meant doors for the bookcase. :) But yes, I still have the other door. It keeps getting in the way.

Ooh, I'm scared! :hide::P

I could never hate you. :friends3:

Finished Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel by Jonathan Morris in the early hours, and thought it was a decent read. Not one that I'm going to rave about and recommend to everyone, but worthwhile. I'm also waiting for a delivery of some books for university that were dispatched on the 31st and which somewhat frustratingly haven't arrived yet.

I've started re-reading a childhood favourite, Fleabag & The Ring Fire by Beth Webb. It's an excellent fantasy adventure story for children/young teens which I recently discovered is the first in a trilogy! I've never read the other two, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them and reading them.

I've read a couple more chapters in The Bell by Iris Murdoch and for some reason I had it in my head that it would be too intellectual and literary for me, but I'm actually really enjoying the writing so far. Plus, I'm ridiculously excited that my new quilt book, Jelly Roll Sampler Quilts arrived today, and will be engrossing in it this evening. :smile2:

Started the Knife of never Letting Go - Patrick Ness this morning one of my many kindle sale downloads

I hope you enjoy it, pickle, one of my top books from the last year. The whole trilogy is super.

I meant doors for the bookcase. :) But yes, I still have the other door. It keeps getting in the way.

Oh, why did I think that you would want to close off your library in the future from Jasper. Sowwy!

Ooh, I'm scared! :hide::P

I could never hate you. :friends3:

You'd better be scared :giggle: It's going to be a tough ride!! I'm going to strongly recommend you read Howards End is on the Landing, over and over again, and be influenced by Hill's year of no book-buing, just reading what you have on your bookshelves. And forget about buying all the books that she mentions!!

I had some awesome bookish activity today! I got A Mencken Chrestomathy from Kylie, as an Xmas present! Thank you hun! :thankyousigna2:

I hope you enjoy it, pickle, one of my top books from the last year. The whole trilogy is super.

I finished it last night and loved it, went straight away to get the second part and the sensibly realised it was almost midnight and another night of poor sleep means I will save it for another day.

I started reading Lara Adrians - Deeper than midnight this morning it was in the kindle sale otherwise I might have left it for a bit longer.

Slow reading day yesterday, only managed 30 or so pages of Sarah Bakewell's How To Live which I have to admit is brilliant so far. :smile2:

Hey guys!

I'm sad to say I had to press pause on Jonathan Strange, but I'll pick it up again soon. I liked it but I don't really have enough time in my schedule lately to devote to it so I started a quicker, more character-driven book instead, The Assassani by Thomas Gifford. I'm loving it so far and is fitting in nicely with my funky reading habits these days.