The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

Welcome to the January 2012 Reading Circle for The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts.

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

Synopsis (from enotes.com):

Published in 1979, The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, which received the Cheltenham Festival Literary Prize, retells classic fairy tales. Angela Carter revises "Puss-in-Boots" and "Sleeping Beauty," for example, from an adult, twentieth-century perspective. Her renditions are intended to disturb and titillate her audience, instead of lulling it to sleep.

Some basic questions to consider:

1. Which story was your favourite, and why?

2. Who was your favourite character (from one story or from each story), and why?

3. Was there a particular part that you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest?

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

5. Were there any parts or ideas you struggled with?

6. How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories? Were you able to engage with the characters in the same way?

7. Overall, did you find it an enjoyable experience?

Edited by Kell

I liked so many of the stories, that it's hard to pick just one favourite, but I think I'd have to go for The Erl-King. It was beautifully lyrical and the descriptions of the woodland settings were very evocative. It's very traditional as a fairy tale but I love the way its written without dialogue until the very last line, but also that it's written as a supposition of what will happen rather than a plain narrative of story telling. It's the story that has stayed with me most after a couple of weeks.

2. Who was your favourite character (from one story or from each story), and why?

I would have to pick Puss from Puss In Boots, as it was a breath of fresh air with his comic touch and made me chuckle a few times as well, which I have to admit, was totally unexpected in this collection of stories.

I would have to say again that Puss In Boots was a delightful comic interlude in the middle of the collection, and I did enjoy getting that light relief after the first few longish stories, and it sticks in my mind as being enjoyable.

As for the part I disliked, I would have to say I did worry about the brutality of the cause of deaths of the wives, as I'm not a fan of horror and I was concerned that, especially in the first story, if this was going to be the theme of all the stories, whether I would be able to finish. Thankfully, the other stories were not quite so graphic in the images of the violence, but I did dislike just that part of the first story purely on a personal level, not because of a fault of the writing.

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

I have read short stories before, and I've read retellings of fairy tales before, so it's probably not the first of this style of book before, and apart from my concern about the description of the violence in the first story, I would definitely like to read more by this author. In fact, when I was out Christmas shopping, I did spot Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales which I was tempted by, so I may look at getting myself a copy to read.

No, I don't think so, other than what I've already mentioned about the title story.

6. How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories? Were you able to engage with the characters in the same way?

I read short story collections fairly regularly, and I'm a fan of them generally, so this wasn't particularly outside of my normal comfort zone. This was the first time I've read Angela Carter, and will definitely look for more of her books, and I think she writes in the short form very well. It was, however, the first collection I think I've read that weren't contemporary stories, and I enjoyed the fantasy element of them as well, so I think I will perhaps broaden my short story reading to include some older collections as well as modern authors.

Yes, much more than I was expecting! I have to admit, I was in two minds about reading the book, as I was worried about the horror element, but I'm very glad I did, as I have now another author to add to my wishlist.

Which story was your favourite and why?

I liked the last 3 stories best, I know the question asks for one, but I felt the author was actually revisiting the same story over again and exploring different aspects . Also I watched the film Company of Wolves again only a few months ago and enjoyed coming across phrases and bits of the book that were in the film.

Who was your favorite character and why?

Didn't have one. I think the characters were all very abstract creations, very dream-like.

Was there a particular part you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest?

I felt this was a very FEMALE book. No way a man could have written this. Although some people say nonsense, I do feel that strong gender thing from certain writers. So I enjoyed that insight into what were basically sexual fantasies. Three of the stories were basically the same theme. A virginal girl surrendering herself to a man, whose maleness, his OTHERNESS made him seem alien, and making him a monster in either deed or form. The author obviously likes to dwell on this allegory , of surrender and being changed irrevocably. It's really the same thing as the Twilight stories. Come to think of it I did enjoy the beastman in The Tiger's Bride, who although having the power to subjugate, respected the woman and showed decency and restraint, so in the end she gave of herself willingly. And I enjoyed the writing. She juxtaposes the most unlikely words together to make extraordinary sentences. For instance, to describe a blade: "Sharp as childbirth." (Again, linking it to a purely female thing)

Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author?

I don't think this a genre, surely this writer is unique? I have never read anything like it and would like to read some more by her.

Were there any parts or ideas you struggled with?

Er, nope.

How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories?

I like short stories but I don't read very many. I should read more.

Overall, did you find it an enjoyable experience?

Yes very enjoyable, the whole thing was a revelation and different to anything I have read before. Great choice.

Edited by vodkafan

This is a difficult one because there were so many I liked. My favourites were probably the title story which was just the perfect introduction and also Puss in Boots for it's humour and The Lady of the House of Love &The Company of Wolves which were both so lyrical. She writes beautiful prose, as near as you can get to poetry without it actually being poetry and so richly detailed.

I didn't really have a favourite character, I liked the heroine from The Bloody Chamber probably because she was the one I could most relate to and I liked Red Riding Hood in The Company of Wolves .. for her pluck.

I liked the fact that there was a certain amount of familiarity about the stories coupled with a whole lot of uncertainty. It was never wise to get too comfortable, your spine would inevitably start tingling. Her stories manage to both repel and attract too ... very clever.

4.Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more?

Neil Gaimans short stories are quite similar. He has one where Aslan does very naughty things to Jadis (or it might be the other way around) and then eats Susan which would have fitted in just nicely here. I've read the Magic Toyshop which was very odd, great, but odd and it ran on similar themes .. puberty and sexual awakening etc although set in a more normal setting, or not a fairytale setting anyway, you wouldn't really call it normal .. it's bonkers actually. I've also read her Angela Carters Book of Fairy Tales' which is not her own work but a compilation of fairy tales from all over the world. All sorts of skewed versions of familiar tales there.

Not really, I've been in Angela territory before so knew what I was in for. She has the ability to shock, to throw the odd naughty word or deed in to make you sit up and take notice (but it never feels gratuitous.) The gory side of things just about stayed on the right side for me .. a few inches more and I might have been fainting. I did feel a bit sick at times, the Duke in Wolf Alice was making me feel bilious .. dragging home all those body parts for midnight snacking.

Yes, she's a bit of an expert at it. Sometimes you read a short story and it ends too soon leaving you in the middle of nowhere, I never felt that here even with the shorter short stories.

Yes very. She's a unique writer and a very talented one. The weather has been awful, the rain is lashing down and the wind is howling .. it couldn't have been better for reading these tales (the doors are actually rattling.) I want to read more by her, lots of people have recommended Nights at the Circus so I'm eager to try that one and I have The Passion of New Eve on the shelf.

I think my favourite was The Bloody Chamber, I don't really know why.

None of the characters really sprang out to me.

I found the storylines very long winded.

Yes it is I would,'t read anything else

I am definitely not a prude but some to the sexual connotations made me feel uncomfortable.

I am in the minority I really didn't enjoy this book, I don't get on terribly well with short stories, I didn't relate to the characters

To be brutally honest, I was glad when I finished it.

Sorry it's taken so long to join the discussion. Going to post answers to the original questions and then go back through the thread and read what everyone else thought and maybe add more 2p worth after that!!!

Puss-in-boots - it was the only one I felt that flowed well and grabbed me from the start. I struggled with most of the others, some of them had some redeeming features but this was the only story I (mostly) enjoyed

Puss in boots I guess - I liked the humour in this story

I didn't like the pointless sex references - I am not a prude at all but in this book they seemed mostly pointless and didnt add anything to the story except to shock. I think there are better ways to do that. That and the story the Snow Child - really did not see the point of that one at all

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more? Short stories I have read before and enjoyed. I would happily go and read that format again. Books by this author I'm afraid after reading this I would avoid.

I read books to enjoy a story and the ideas in them; A lot of books I read I understand are "snubbed" by literary critics - I think that's probably a good thing! The thing I struggled with most was the feeling that the author tried too hard - possibly to get brownie points from the literary critics. Maybe I'm too cynical but it felt like a book that was written for their approval, not for the enjoyment of the "constant reader". I prefer books that are written to be read I'm afraid, yes I am happy for a book to challenge me with concepts and ideas but it first and foremost has to be a darn good yarn and keep my interest and keep me wanting to read more. This book, I'm afraid did not do that.

I didnt' engage with the characters but I don't think that was the fault of the short story format. I have read collections of short stories before and been engaged with the characters.

Not really no, but I am proud of myself for reading it - I did enjoy one of the stories (well almost two as Company of Wolves wasn't too bad but a little muddled).

Sorry not to be more positive - just being honest!

edited because apparently this evening I can't spell!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ali9321

Ok 2p worth! Wow - interesting to read the other comments and dawnbirduk I'm glad you commented or I'd be feeling rather bad for being so negative!

Interesting to read how everyone viewed it....

1. Which story was your favourite, and why?​

I wasn't hugely impressed by any of them,but the best for me was The Courtship of Mr Lyon, as The Beast really touched my heart and I was so happy it ended well as I wasn't sure it would, Angela Carter doesn't generally keep true to the story!

The Beast (Mr Lyon) as he was so misunderstood yet tried so hard.

I think the story above was the only one I actually enjoyed, a couple of the others were ok but I actually skipped parts of a couple of them as I found them too contrived and over written.

I've never been one for fairy tales or rejigs but I did love The Magic Toyshop a few years ago, so whilst I will avoid the genre I will definitely read more of her novels, in fact I have Nights at the Circus on my TBR pile so I should get round to that sometime this year.

Mainly the overwriting, I know she is poetically descriptive and uses 5 words where 1 would probably suffice but I found this to be a little over done.

I have tried 2 collections of short stories in the last month and not got on with either, I would try another if something caught my eye but in general I definitely prefer a full length novel to get my teeth into!

No, I found myself racing to get it over with.

• 1 month later...

1. Which story was your favorite and why? I think Puss-in-Boots stands out the most for me. I enjoyed the bawdy tone in which it was written.

2. Who was your favorite character and why? I think Mr. Lyon however I don't think her rewriting added anything to the original. The Beast is a very sympathetic character you can't help liking.

3. Was there a particular part that you enjoyed or disliked more than the rest? I loved her prose though she seemed overly fixated on the sexual part. She was kind of like Freud.

4. Was this the first book you've read in this genre, or by this author? Has it encouraged you to read more? Yes I would like to read more retellings of classic fairy tales. And yes I would definitely read more of her books.

5. Were there any parts or ideas you stuggled with? Sometimes I was confused as to the nature of the beast. There was one story in particular where this happened but I can't remember which one! I didn't know if it was a werewolf or vampire!

6. How did you find the experience of reading a collection of short stories? Were you able to engage with the characters in the same way? I usually don't read short stories but I liked this one and the one I read prior to that, "The Doll and other stories" by Daphne du Maurier.

Yes I did. Very much.