2007 - 49

2008 - 85

2009 - 47

2010 - 43

2011 - 61

Books Read in 2012

1. Variant - Robison Wells

2 .Before I Die - Jenny Downham

3. The Final Empire: Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson (audio)

4. Every Vow You Break - Julia Crouch

5. The Glass Guardian - Linda Gillard

6. Advent - James Treadwell

7. The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

8. The Well of Ascension: Mistborn 2 - Brandon Sanderson (audio)

9. Fracture - Megan Miranda

10. Mortal Chaos by Matt Dickinson

11. Swan Song - Robert MacCammon (audio)

12. The Last Echo - Kimberly Derting

13. A Waste of Good Paper - Sean Taylor

14. Heart-Shaped Bruise - Tanya Byrne

15.The Traitors - Tom Becker

16. The Pledge - Kimberly Derting (audio)

17. Hollow Pike - James Dawson

18. Insurgent - Veronica Roth

19. Starters - Lissa Price

20. A Streetcat Named Bob - James Bowen

21. White Chin - Marilyn Edwards

22. Now You See Me - S J Bolton (audio)

23. Dead Scared - S J Bolton (audio)

24. You Are Not So Smart - David McRaney (audio)

25. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M Valente

26. Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness

27. The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor

28. The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa

29. Split Second - Cath Staincliffe

30. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

31. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - Stephen King (audio)

32. Leopard Adventure - Anthony McGowen

33. The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals by Wendy Jones

34. Deity - Steven Dunne

35. Seraphina - Rachel Hartman

36. The War of the Wives - Tamar Cohen

37. Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas

38. Neptune's Tears - Susan Waggoner

39. Poltergeeks - Sean Cummings

40. Katya's World - Jonathan L Howard

41. A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

42. 0.4 - Mike Lancaster

43. The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King (audio)

44. The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands - Stephen King (audio)

45. The Assassin's Curse - Cassandra Rose Clarke

46. The Future of Us - Jay Asher

47. Shift - Kim Curran

48. The Mammoth Book of Slasher Movies - Peter Normanton

49. Shadows on the Moon - Zoe Marriott

50. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

51. Clarity - Kim Harrington

52. Ashes - Ilsa J Bick

53. Slated - Teri Terry

54. Breathe - Sarah Crossan

55. Pantomime - Laura Lam

56. Knight Ghost - Cornelia Funke

57. Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story - Anne Rice / Ashley Marie Witter

58. Instructions for a Heatwave - Maggie O'Farrell

59. The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke

60. The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King (audio)

61. The Dark Tower V: Wolves of Calla - Stephen King (audio)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfinished, On-hold, Abandoned etc

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 25 - will be ongoing for some time, lots of stories, tiny print!

Amity & Sorrow - Peggy Riley - on hold, must get back to.

Ash - James Herbert - started off fairly interesting, but then became rather over the top.

The Knife of Letting Go - Patrick Ness - this was an audio version, and I found the dog's voice very annoying - I may pick it up one day, but I fear it's put me off.

Grimm Tales - Philip Pullman - I'll be dipping into this for a while, rather than reading cover to cover (and what a gorgeous cover!)

Speaks The Nightbird - Robert McCammon (audio) - this was slow but enjoyable, but it reached a point where I lost interest. I may finish it one day.

City of Dragons: The Wild Rain Chronicles 3 - Robin Hobb (audio) - again, these are slow but very enjoyable, and I was looking forward to part 3. However, I don't think I was in the right mood, so it's gone aside for later.

Hero of Ages: Mistborn 3 - Brandon Sanderson (audio) - I think I made the mistake of listening to all 3 books almost one after the other. It's a long story, and about half way through this one I ran out of steam.

Girl Reading - Katie Ford - Abandoned

Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes - abandoned

All Fall Down - Sally Nicholls - Amazon vine review book, so I must get back to it!

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch - I know, so many people like it, but it didn't grab me that much. I will re-try.

Wishlist

Feedback - Robison Wells

Witness - Cath Staincliffe

The Kindest Thing - Cath Staincliffe

The Forsaken -Lisa Stasse

Perception - Kim Harrington

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys

1.4 - Mike Lancaster

The Watchtower - Lee Carroll

Confessions of A Conjuror - Derren Brown

Unrest - Michelle Harrison

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

The Assassin's Curse - Cassandra Rose Clarke - Read

Shadows on the Moon - Zoe Marriott - Read

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr

Slated - Teri Terry

0.4 - Mike Lancaster - Read

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa - Read

Insurgent - Veronica Roth - Read

Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes

Girl Reading - Katie Ward - Unfinished

Dreams - Daniela Sacerdoti

Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness - Read

Every Vow You Break - Julia Crouch - Read

Wintercraft - Jenna Burtenshaw

Black Heart Blue - Louisa Reid

Paranormalcy - Kiersten White

Some are definite wish-lists additions, others are still being considered. If you've read any of them, please let me know!

I finished Variant last night.. it's definitely a 'page turner' and on the whole highly enjoyable. I was disappointed that I had a pretty good idea what the big 'reveal' was.. I think I read too much, or something! :giggle: The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger, and I can't see a release date anywhere for the second book, so that's rather frustrating!

I finished Variant last night.. it's definitely a 'page turner' and on the whole highly enjoyable. I was disappointed that I had a pretty good idea what the big 'reveal' was.. I think I read too much, or something! :giggle: The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger, and I can't see a release date anywhere for the second book, so that's rather frustrating!

I found the following on his site, Michelle. :)

When will the sequel come out?

The sequel, titled Feedback, will be released Fall of 2012, probably in October. There will be only one sequel–it’s not a trilogy.

So a little bit of a wait, I'm afraid. :)

I'm halfway through Before I Die by Jenny Downham, the story of a 16 year old with terminal cancer. It's a very honest account, but I seriously want to slap her best friend!

I really enjoyed that too Michelle, a very sad yet uplifting book. She really captured the naiveté and innocence of teenagers in dealing with serious matters, some of it made me feel very uncomfortable!

Just finished Before I Die.. what made this book so good, in my opinion, is it's honesty. They aren't perfect characters, making cute little speeches.. this is a 16 year old dealing with dying, and the reactions of her family and friends. As I said before though, her best friend starts off really annoying, although she stays loyal to her friend.

Where next, where next?

Hi michelle, I thought it was great too. How do you choose what to read next? I find it so hard, they are all begging to be read!!! :-)

Quite often I have to go with any review books waiting for me. I do have a couple of those, but not on the urgent pile. I may go with Girl Reading, as it's been calling to me.

Just finished Before I Die.. what made this book so good, in my opinion, is it's honesty. They aren't perfect characters, making cute little speeches.. this is a 16 year old dealing with dying, and the reactions of her family and friends. As I said before though, her best friend starts off really annoying, although she stays loyal to her friend.

I found that too MIchelle about her friend, but it was a very good book I thought....needed my tissues too.

Just finished Before I Die..

Glad you enjoyed it Michelle. I read it last year or the year before on recommendations from this forum, and while I enjoyed the concept, a lot of the writing style, and the ending, I felt the characters lacked depth and realism, and that the overall details of plot execution fell short of my expectations. Just glanced over my review actually, and I gave it a harsher review that I remember!

ETA: Ooh on an entirely seperate note, this is my 10,000th post! :thud:

• 2 weeks later...

Messed up reading at the moment - I had another review book sent which is published soon, so I'm now reading that.. Advent by James Treadwell.

I have finished one book though.. The Final Empire: Mistborn - it was an audio book, which I find the best way to enjoy longer books. I've immediately started the second book in the series, so I think that shows how impressed I was. For fantasy readers, if you've not tried this one, I'd recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, Advent read and reviewed - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/advent-james-treadwell/

Every Vow You Break was really good, review to follow.

Linda Gillard's book was of course also really good, and I preferred it to House of Silence. It's not published yet, so I'll review it later when it is.

The Snow Child was a lovely book - again, review to follow as soon as I get my act together!

I've almost finished the second Mistborn novel on audio, and I'm loving it.:)