First read of 2012?

chaliepud

Cryptonomicon is also on my TBR list, but I find some of the comments about it a bit daunting.

As soon as I finished Reamde I decided to start the series with Cryptonomicon, but I agree, now that I pull it from the shelf, it does seem daunting. I hope it's as good as I think it'll be! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided that starting next year I am going to attempt the Reading Around the World Challenge. I have doing it kind of unofficially for a few months now anyway, so I am now making it official. I know it's a big one which will probably take a few years, but I have made a good start with the books I have read already this year. My first read of 2012 overlaps with this year, as I started it yesterday and don't expect to complete it for a few days yet - it's a book about the Kmere Rouge regime in Cambodia entitled When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him.

I like the idea of having a guided intelligent reading plan like that Talisman that would increase my knowledge of the world. Sadly I just can't be disciplined when it comes to choosing future books. I don't even really like having a declared TBR pile.

Oh my first read will be Big Planet by Jack Vance. I started it already.

Edited by vodkafan

I'm actually going to start my fIrst read of 2012 a couple of hours early, my kids and their friends have commandeered the TV so I'm going to start Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber as I'd forgotten the discussion will start in January, tomorrow!!! Whether I'll have anything interesting to say I don't know but it will be nice to read what others think of it. :-))

My first read was The Hidden World (The Remarkable adventures of Tom Scatterhorn 2) - Henry Chancellor not sure whats going to be next will have a look at all the ones I have downloaded recently

My first book was The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stern, it's a novelization of the Death of Superman and Return of Superman comic series which ran in the early nineties. Amazing book and it should be the definitive Superman novel.

I read it in about a day :) even bought it unexpectedly at a bookstore (it's pretty rare here).

My first read was Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum by Mark Stevens. It was also my first Kindle read. I downloaded it because a) it was free, b) I love social commentary books and c) I love the Victorians! It was great! :D

My first read was Ratking by Michael Dibdin, the first in the Aurelio Zen series. I'm a bit of a fan of Eurocrime, but this was my first experience of this series, and of Dibdin. I'm definitely going to read more - well up in the stakes!

Mine was a book called Populaarimusiikkia Vittulajänkältä by Mikael Niemi (in English it's apparently called Popular music from Vittula). I had a pretty busy Christmas time, so I wanted to end the year and start the new one with a book that wasn't a heavy read. This one was a good choice, easy but interesting.

My first read of the year is A Beautiful Blue Death, by Charles Finch, picked at random from my tbr shelf. (It's not a shelf really, it's an entire room!)

How I would love having an entire room full of books!

• 2 weeks later...

My first read of 2012 was The Red Dancer a novel about Mata Hari who was an exotic dancer who was eventually executed as a spy in Word War 1. It was fascinating read.