First read of 2012?

chaliepud

I thought it would be interesting to ask what will be your first read of 2012? For some of you it will be the start of a new challenge so maybe something out of your comfort zone? Or will you be sticking to something familiar to ease you into the New Year.

I think I am going to try and get back into The Night Circus, I dropped it at page 70 when I was a bit poorly. I won't be happy until I've given it another go.

HAPPY NEW READING YEAR EVERYONE! :-))

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lovely little pile to bring me into 2012 - a reread of Valiant by Holly Black, a newly bought hardback of The Various (book 1) by Steve Augaurde, my christmas present from the lovely Janet, The Once & Future King by T. H. White, and an old childhood favourite, Fleabag & The Ring Fire by Beth Webb. I'm kind of reading three of these right now and the fourth will be started as soon as one of those three is finished. Above home in Cork I have Howard Pyle's The Story Of King Arthur & His Knights, which I've also already started, so that'll probably be a January book too. All in all, I'm happy!

Feeling good about this year, had a disasterous reading year last year for a variety of reasons, but I'm going to make sure I put aside at least 30-60 mins a day of reading time this year.

I have decided that starting next year I am going to attempt the Reading Around the World Challenge. I have doing it kind of unofficially for a few months now anyway, so I am now making it official. I know it's a big one which will probably take a few years, but I have made a good start with the books I have read already this year. My first read of 2012 overlaps with this year, as I started it yesterday and don't expect to complete it for a few days yet - it's a book about the Kmere Rouge regime in Cambodia entitled When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him.

Edited by Talisman

I have pondered this for several days now, of what book to start with for the first time I have ever done a challenge, kept a running list of completed books ,or done reviews or ratings.

Before, I would just READ .

So , I have come up with a newfangled challenge for myself,since I don't fare well having a lot of structure when it comes to a hobby . To me, reading is fun,so I want to make the coming year as FUN as possible, rather than a chore .

Therefore, I am making my challenge a Scavenger Hunt for myself. Each month, I will pick a THEME for the month . Then I will be able to choose a wide variety of books that could fit into that theme .

My Theme for January will be :The Five Senses .

Therefore, I need book titles that would fit sight ,sound, smell, taste and touch .

Book one --

Sound ------ PLAINSONG by Kent Haruf .

I have pondered this for several days now, of what book to start with for the first time I have ever done a challenge, kept a running list of completed books ,or done reviews or ratings.

So , I have come up with a newfangled challenge for myself,since I don't fare well having a lot of structure when it comes to a hobby . To me, reading is fun,so I want to make the coming year as FUN as possible, rather than a chore .

Therefore, I am making my challenge a Scavenger Hunt for myself. Each month, I will pick a THEME for the month . Then I will be able to choose a wide variety of books that could fit into that theme .

Therefore, I need book titles that would fit sight ,sound, smell, taste and touch .

Book one --

I like the sound of this, I too have never done a challenge but keep thinking I would like to, maybe I will join you if you don't mind

Not fully decided yet, depends if I finish Inheritance by Christopher Paolini before the new year. If I don't, that will be my first read of 2012, if I do then it will be A Room With A View by E.M Foster. Either way I'm quite excited for next year, and hopefully even though I have exams in January, the first month of the year will be a good one.

I like the sound of this, I too have never done a challenge but keep thinking I would like to, maybe I will join you if you don't mind

Hi Dawn

It'd be really nice to have you join in if you'd like :) I thought this one might give me a lot of choices for each category instead of limiting it, plus it's fun to look through my shelves and see what all titles could qualify .

I already have all of them picked for January's theme ,but will only put the current one I'm reading .I don't like feeling under pressure to fill a quota ,or it makes it seem more like a HAVE-TO instead of a WANT-TO .

I'll be interested in seeing what titles you come up with .

Book one --

That's a neat idea Julie! I usually, too, pick up what strikes my fancy. :readingtwo:

I actually have been thinking I'd get back to Neal Stephenson and read Cryptonomicon. I read Reamde several months ago, and really meant to read Cryptonomicon then, but was sidetracked (as usual). Maybe if I put it down in writing, I'll manage to do it!

I'm reading now Interview with the vampire, to be honest I haven't read for about 1 week because right now I'm obsessed watching Dexter hehe, I have already know which book to read afther this one, Lewis Carrol's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the looking glass.

The next book after that has to be Ana Karenina by Tolstoy, I have a duty to read it because I met a girl who said she love Leon Tolstoy, then I said her that I found Ana Karenina boring and I left the book after 69 pages, :P. The next day I felt like a stupid... So I have to read it in order to feel a reason to find it boring or interesting.

My first read of the new year will be Into The Darkest Corner Elizabeth Haynes it comes highly recommended so I'm looking forward to starting it :smile:

That's a brilliant book, which you will love. It was by far the best one I read this year. It is though very scary in places, even more so because you know that the events that it describes could actually be true - sadly men like that really do exist.

I am reading Lord of Emperors by Guy Gavriel Kay, which'll take me a few days into the new year to finish. I'm thinking of doing a fairly hefty Stephen King re-read in 2012, so my next book will almost definitely be The Stand.

My first read of the new year will be Into The Darkest Corner Elizabeth Haynes it comes highly recommended so I'm looking forward to starting it :smile:

This was such a great read, one of the best of 2011. Very moving and powerful stuff. I still often find myself thinking back to it.

That's a neat idea Julie! I usually, too, pick up what strikes my fancy. :readingtwo:

I actually have been thinking I'd get back to Neal Stephenson and read Cryptonomicon. I read Reamde several months ago, and really meant to read Cryptonomicon then, but was sidetracked (as usual). Maybe if I put it down in writing, I'll manage to do it!

Cryptonomicon is also on my TBR list, but I find some of the comments about it a bit daunting.

My first read of 2012 will be Afterlight by Alex Scarrow, simply because it's a library book and I'll need to read it before it's due back.

I'm 90% through Salem's Lot so will need to finish that tonight.

I think I am going to try and get back into The Night Circus, I dropped it at page 70 when I was a bit poorly. I won't be happy until I've given it another go.

I hope you'll enjoy it - I found it quite enchanting. :)

I'll be carrying over The Women of the Cousins' War: The Duchess, the Queen and the King's Mother by Philippa Gregory which I've barely started. It's a hardback I got for Xmas. My next physical book will most likely by Cinder by Marissa Meyer in paperback, and on the Kindle, I'll probably go for Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange, as I've just finished Darcy's Diary by the same author and loved it.

I won't finish Lonesome Dove until 2012 has begun, so it will be my first read of the new year - I am taking part in Kell's Genre Challenge, and trying to read some genres that I don't usually choose books from.