Chrissy's Reading 2012 Onwards

Chrissy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10)The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

There are some series of books that can have an ebb and flow of quality through the books, and you start questioning whether to bother with the next one or not. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE SERIES! :D The originaity and high quality runs throughout Mr Fforde's Thursday Next series, never diminishing for me.

This is the seventh in the series, and it had me engrossed from the start. The action rarely lets up, and you have to stay focused to keep up with the relentesss, humour, wit, original notions, puns and allusions. The world is a better place with Thursday Next in it for sure. In this book she faces Goliath, sentient copies of people, the future for her three chidren, the continuing infuence of Aornis and the smiting of Swindon by a vengeful god. A pretty normal day at the office for our wonderful and compelling heroine. :D

Edited by Chrissy

10)The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

There are some series of books that can have an ebb and flow of quality through the books, and you start questioning whether to bother with the next one or not. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE SERIES! :D The originaity and high quality runs throughout Mr Fforde's Thursday Next series, never diminishing for me.

This is the seventh in the series, and it had me engrossed from the start. The action rarely lets up, and you have to stay focused to keep up with the relentesss, humour, wit, original notions, puns and allusions. The world is a better place with Thursday Next in it for sure.

I haven't read any Jasper Fforde books but your review has just convinced me to put them on my wishlist. Thanks Chrissy, they sound great  :)

Some things are beyond contemplating frankie! :o I'm already preparing myself for a conclusion to the series - not an easy thing, but I know it's out there soemwhere. *big sniffy sigh*

Oh no, I didn't want you to contemplate that!! :empathy:  By 'delivering' I meant that the day he's written a bad book instead of his usual brilliant stuff, it'll be as likely as the world coming to an end.

I know what you meant about not Mr Fforde not delivering good quality stuff (sounds like drugs now!), but I get the feeling that he will only write a book he is sure of. He better! Otherwise I will have to have strong words to the highest authority!!!!!  :D

• 4 months later...

Well, having not read anything other than a few magazine / newspaper articles since February ( :o ) I was delighted when in the past few days I started and completed a book on my kindle. WOO HOO!!!

11) Across The Universe ~ Shades Of Earth by Beth Revis

This is the third and final book in the 'Across The Universe' story. I have truly enjoyed this series, each book action packed, thought provoking and compelling. Each has told a very specific part of the story that leads on to the next. 'Shades Of Earth' starts with a new beginning, and the consequences of the actions that take place early on in the book. Without giving anything away (especially to those who are yet to read the earlier books), I can say that I felt as compelled to read on with SOE as I was with the earlier two books. Revis is a talented writer, with great descriptive powers. The people and scenes so vividly described you are there rather than merely reading of it.

OK, now all I have to do is start reading another book before my mojo realises I have found a path back to reading. Joy returns to my little world. :smile:

Thanks ladies. :D  I am so happy to have lost myself in a book again - it has been far too long.

From years of prolific reading to nothing for 4 months was tough to endure, but it looks like things may be back on track. I am whispering this by the way, just so my snoozing mojo doesn't wake up and hear.....so sh! ;)  I have a couple of quick reads lined up to keep the flow going - a Jeffrey Deaver, a Karin Slaughter and a couple of Doctor Who books.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ladies. :D  I am so happy to have lost myself in a book again - it has been far too long.

From years of prolific reading to nothing for 4 months was tough to endure, but it looks like things may be back on track. I am whispering this by the way, just so my snoozing mojo doesn't wake up and hear.....so sh! ;)  I have a couple of quick reads lined up to keep the flow going - a Jeffrey Deaver, a Karin Slaughter and a couple of Doctor Who books.

Ding dong!!! How can I be quiet now when I've seen that you have a Jeffery Deaver and a Karin Slaughter book to get to?! :blush:  :hide:   I hope you enjoy them! :smile2: (Which Deaver is it, and which Slaughter?)

The Blessing Of Brokeness

Busted

These are two 'short read' kindle reads by Karin Slaughter

A Textbook Case

Triple Threat (3 short stories)

These are also two 'short reads', this time by Jeffrey Deaver.

Having said all of this, I have been so blooming busy I have not read another little word (except online) since I last posted. But, they are there when I have time. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I attempted the recent Read-A-Thon, hoping it might jump start some proper reading. AND IT WORKED!

12) I read the final book in the Cassandra Clare Infernal devices trilogy, 'The Clockwork Princess'. I read it fairly quickly, and enjoyed it immensely. It happily concluded the story of Tessa, Jem and Will, the Victorian Shadow Hunters. Fights, love, loyalties and a tender if at times, pained love triangle fill the pages. These aren't challenging reads, but the characters and scenes are well drawn and the stories comfortably readable.

13) A Text Book Case by Jeffrey Deaver

A short read by the wonderful Mr Deaver. Although a well paced short read I would have loved it to have been a full length book with the usual twists and turns that our Mr Deaver is famous for.

14) The Blessing Of Brokenness by Karin Slaughter

A rather unsettling but well written study of human weakness, tragedy and redemption.

15), 16), 17), 18) & 19) 'The City of ; Bones, Ashes, Glass, Fallen Angels & Lost Souls' by Cassandra Clare

Having read the final book in the Infernal Devices series, I felt drawn again to the other series by CC, The Mortal Instruments series. The first four of the ones currently available were a re read, and the last 'The City Of Lost Souls' was a first read. It was great to immerse myself into the Shadow Hunter universe again and read the continuing story of Clary, Jace, Isabelle and Alec and their battles against the constant demonic threat.

All read in under a fortnight! I am astounded and delighted that I have found my reading mojo to be robust and actually with me :D I am looking on my kindle and book shelves for another series (probably supernatural fantasy again) to keep the mojo flowing. Perhaps this immersive reading therapy is the way to go! :giggle2:  :readingtwo:

All read in under a fortnight! I am astounded and delighted that I have found my reading mojo to be robust and actually with me :D I am looking on my kindle and book shelves for another series (probably supernatural fantasy again) to keep the mojo flowing. Perhaps this immersive reading therapy is the way to go! :giggle2:  :readingtwo:

Well done Chrissy!! I am immensely impressed. Just in time for finishing work too :yahoo:

Good job Chrissy :)! I hope you can keep it up and enjoy reading.

I look forward to read some Cassandra Clare books myself sometime (currently have two on the shelves, two more ordered, rest on wishlist).

Edited by Athena

Thanks ladies! For the first time in about 18 months / 2 years I actually felt as I used to with reading - it was my constant companion and source of solace and relaxation. I have missed that feeling SOOoooooo much. :smile:

Congrats, Chrissy!  :party: 

I really must get around to reading the Infernal Devices books - I've read Clockwork Angel but that was back when it first came out.  I'm wondering whether to get the rest and read all three on our next holiday, as I do love to be able to do a series all in one go.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done!  :doowapstart:  Glad to hear your reading mojo is better :D

My mojo appears so far to be just dandy, I am reading and so enjoying having a book constantly 'on the go'. :D

Congrats, Chrissy!  :party: 

I really must get around to reading the Infernal Devices books - I've read Clockwork Angel but that was back when it first came out.  I'm wondering whether to get the rest and read all three on our next holiday, as I do love to be able to do a series all in one go.

I know that they differ from the urban grittiness of the Mortal Instruments series, but I did enjoy reading on and concluding this trilogy. There is a smoky darkness to these Victorian ones that I enjoy, and I quiet enjoyed the angst and pangs of the main protagonists. :smile:

21) Death's Hand by SM Reine

22) The Darkest Gate by SM Reine

23)  Damnation Marked by SM Reine

24) Dire Blood by SM Reine

25) Defying Fate by SM Reine

26) Paradise Damned by SM Reine

The above, along with a couple of now included novellas form The Descent series by SM Reine. The first few were free on Kindle, so I gave them a go thinking that sticking with a series where I can immerse myself might keep my mojo happy. I was right!

From her website authorsmreine , the following best describes the series,

A dark, gritty urban fantasy series featuring an emotionally scarred exorcist, her witch partner, scary demons, scarier angels, and the looming threat of apocalypse. For those of you wondering what particular “flavour” of paranormal fiction this is, it’s probably best described as occult/supernatural

This has the supernatural lot in it! It is fast paced and action packed, and written in such a way that you are compelled to read on to find out what will happen next! I have flown through them, and went on to buy the authors werewolf series 'Seasons Of The Moon' and the spin off from that 'The Cain Chronicles'.

I plan on keeping my reading mojo stoked full of different book series to keep it happy. :D