Chrissy's Reading 2012 Onwards

Chrissy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you do Chrissy is, get a book, hold it in your hand and turn the pages and read the words top to bottom...it's easy! Even better if you find a book you like and enjoy :D

Wot if it's my kindle? :P Actually, so far instead of thinking about things I have just grabbed the nearest book or my kindle and started reading - none of my usual (for the last year or two) angst ridden contemplating nonsense. Me finks this might work! :D

See what happens when you take a wander through Chesilbeach's book thread?

3) Seeking Crystal by Joss Stirling

I really enjoyed the previous two books in the series, and this third in the Benedict brother series did not disappoint. I enjoy the whole concept of gifted (savant) people with special gifts and powers, the way they interlink, and their seeking of their one true loves / soul mates.

The Crystal of the title comes from a large savant family, but considers herself be in possession of absolutely no talent. The story takes place mostly in Venice and Joss Stirling's descriptons conjure what I have always imagined to be the combination of beauty and decay that Venice holds. The story is both action and dialogue packed and moves along at a rapid pace, and Crystal is a well drawn addition to the series.

4) My Sister Lives On The Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher

From Facebook;

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece. Well some of her does. Ten-year-old Jamie narrates a deeply moving and unique story that will break your heart and fill it right back up again.

I started to read this young adult novel last night and found myself profoundly annoyed when I had to go to bed. I couldnt allow myself to read anymore until I knew I had an hour or so clear to finish this extraordinary and moving book. My heart iss till aching and my eyes are still sore and I want to hug the ones I love a little to hard, but that is the impact of this wonderful debut novel by Annabel Pitcher.

I don't want to refer to the story beyond saying that you are with Jamie all the way through, the descrptve powers of the author are such that you can smell the classroom, taste the hot chococlate and feel the warmth of the cat on your lap. This is a place where pain and hurt and wishes and hopes have personality and are almost characters in their own right. It is a story of what it is to lose, to be parent, to be a child, to find solace.

From Facebook;

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece. Well some of her does. Ten-year-old Jamie narrates a deeply moving and unique story that will break your heart and fill it right back up again.

I started to read this young adult novel last night and found myself profoundly annoyed when I had to go to bed. I couldnt allow myself to read anymore until I knew I had an hour or so clear to finish this extraordinary and moving book. My heart iss till aching and my eyes are still sore and I want to hug the ones I love a little to hard, but that is the impact of this wonderful debut novel by Annabel Pitcher.

I don't want to refer to the story beyond saying that you are with Jamie all the way through, the descrptve powers of the author are such that you can smell the classroom, taste the hot chococlate and feel the warmth of the cat on your lap. This is a place where pain and hurt and wishes and hopes have personality and are almost characters in their own right. It is a story of what it is to lose, to be parent, to be a child, to find solace.

Ooh that sounds promising, I've had this on my TBR shelf for ages... :)

From Facebook;

I saw this on the Kindle Deal, now I'm sad I didn't get it. Sounds like such a good read.

My daughter's school have arranged an author visit with Annabel Pitcher in a couple of weeks so i shall show her your review Chrissy no doubt she'll want to buy one of her books at the event & this sounds like the sort of thing she'll enjoy :smile:

5) The 5:2 Diet Book by Kate Harrison

I wasn't going to include this in my reading list, but it's a book, and I read it so here it is! THis is an easy to read and understand book written in a friendly and informal style. It gives references and inks to further reading throughtout and doesn't claim to be anything other than a "This is what has been said about it. This is what I did. Here are a few anedotes from others who have tried it." read.

I wanted to explore the 5:2 diet that I have been repeatedly hearing about over a period of time. I watched a Horizon programme on the health and weight loss benefits of reducing our calorific intake two days a week, while eating 'normally' the other five. According to early research the benefits can be quite marked, helping to lower cholesterol levels, blood pressure and the 'bad' aging cells running rampant through us all, in additon to reducing one's weekly calorie intake.

I watched that programme as well, it was really interesting, what i thought was most alarming was how even being slightly overweight increases your risk of developing life threatening conditions later in life.

I've seen this on chaliepud's GR feed and she's mentioned it a few times around the forum, and I've become well curious about the title. Thanks for the review, this is defintely going on the wishlist! :)

Definitely worth reading Frankie. :smile:

6) Across The Universe by Beth Revis

From Amazon,

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her; and more if she'll let him.

I had heard about this book a few times, and decided it was about time I read it. The story is told from the point of view of Amy, 'defrosted' before her due time, and Elder a potential future leader on board the ship.

It unfolds at a good pace, the mystery of what has occured only deepened by investigation. The characters are well drawn and the reader develops regard for each of them, even those you end up loathing. An enjoyable and clever story, dark and thought provoking at times.

Edited by Chrissy

From Facebook;

does this one come with tissues Chrissy :blush2: Sounds like a wonderful book.

does this one come with tissues Chrissy :blush2: Sounds like a wonderful book.

No, you have to provide your own - and boy did I! :blush2: Husband wondered what the heck had happened to me to make me blub so hard. :giggle2:

7) A Million Suns by Beth Revis

This is the second book in the Across The Universe trilogy. I felt that the first book had been a complete and satisfying story that ended looking to the future for the characters. I therefore started the second book with a slight sense of trepidation at where the author would go with this, and worried that it would be more or less a dragging out of the first story. I needn't have worried; the story contiinues well, developing the the characters nicely and extending the premise into a chilling game of cat and mouse. Having read and enjoyed this second book I can look forward to Ms Revis' third and final book when it's released on kindle in May.

8) Dangerous Instincts - Use An FBI Profiler's Tactics To Avoid Unsafe Situations by Mary Ellen O'Toole & Alisa Bowman

I cannot improve on Pontalba's excellent review of this book (Thatns Pontalba :flowers2: ), so I hereby copy her review. :D

Dangerous Instincts by Mary Ellen O'Toole, Ph.D. and Alisa Bowman. The sub-title is "Use an FBI profiler's tactics to avoid unsafe situations." That may be tooting it's own horn a bit much, but it does contain some great common sense advice for getting out of, or really managing NOT to get into dangerous situations. Her methodology is precise and to the point. The book is also interspersed with fascinating stories of O'Toole's FBI career as a profiler. She interviewed many of the serial killers of the last several decades, playing a pivotal role in their captures, and interviews. If you like lists, this is a great book for you

Easy to read, and I read it on and off over the course of a few days.

9) Bone Quill by John & Carole E Barrowman

I may have initially read the prequel to this book (Hollow Earth) out of curiosity, but I am most definitely reading this young adult series now because I love it!

In 'Hollow Earth' the reader was introduced to twins Matthew & Emily, and their mother Sandie. They each have special and unique gifts that some fear, others desire and mean for all that they are to face much danger. During their adventures they make their way to a pair of Islands off the Scotiish Coast, where the twins learn of the magnitude of their gifts, the dangers they are likely to encounter and the reason their father disappeared from their lives.

'Bone Quill' continues where HE ended. The story slips seamlessly between the Middle Ages and the early animares and Monks on the Islands and present day where Matthew and Emily are still reeling from the closing events of HE. This is such a visual book, from the artwork to the lanscapes. I could close my eyes and see clearly each and every scene, with the Monastery chapters ensuring that I could almost smell the manure, feel the rough hewn cloth and cringe away from the chill winds coming in from the sea.

The story is advanced at a rapid pace, with twists and turns beatifully thrown at the reader. The back and forth in time was really well balanced, and yet again we are left with a cliff hanger. * Shakes fist at authors* I am very much looking forward to the next installment.