Chrissy's Reading 2012 Onwards

Chrissy

Such a short list for 2012, I thought I would carry on into 2013 with my little and underfilled book list. :smile:
So here is 2012's list

1)'The Last Dragonslayer' by Jasper Fforde
2) 'Coffee At Luke's' Edited by Jennifer Crusie
3) 'Mr Chartwell' by Rebecca Hunt
4) 'Clockwork Prince' by Cassandra Clare
5) 'Roadside Crosses' by Jeffrey Deaver
6) 'StealingPhoenix' by Joss Stirling
7) 'Splinter' by Sebastian Fitzek
8) 'Doctor Who~ The Sontaran Games' by Jacqueline Rayner (Quick Reads)
9) 'Hollow Earth' by John Barrowman & Carole Barrowman
10) 'Anything Goes' by John Barrowman & Carole Barrowman
11) 'I Am What I Am' by John Barrowman & Carole Barrowman
12) 'Ember' by Bettie Sharpe
13) 'The Fifth Child' by Doris Lessing
14) 'Ben, In The World' by Doris Lessing
15) 'I Capture TheCastle' by Dodie Smith

16) 'Torchwood -Another Life' by Peter Anghelides
17)' Torchwood - Border Princes' by Dan Abnett
18) 'Torchwood - Slow Decay' by Andy Lane
19) 'Torchwood - Something in the Water' by Trevor Baxendale
20) 'Torchwood - Trace Memory' by David Llewellyn
21) 'Torchwood - The Twilight Streets' by Gary Russell
22) 'Torchwood - Pack Animals' by Peter Anghelides
23) 'Torchwood - Sky Point' by Phil Ford
25) 'Torchwood - Almost Perfect' by James Goss
26) 'Torchwood - The House that Jack Built' by Guy Adams
27) 'Torchwood - Consequences' by Joseph Lidster, James Moran, Andrew Cartmel, David Llewellyn and Sarah Pinborough
28) 'Torchwood - First Born' by James Goss
29) 'Rescue' by Anita Shreve (Book Ring Book)
30) 'The Chalk Girl' by Carol O’Connell
31) 'The Attenbury Emeralds' by Jill Paton Walsh
32) 'Goodbye, Dearest Holly' by Kevin Wells
33) 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer
34) 'New Moon' by Stephanie Meyer
35) 'Eclipse' by Stephanie Meyer
36) 'Breaking Dawn' by Stephanie Meyer

And now 2013's...

1) 'Hitler's Canary' by Sandi Toksvig
2) 'The Angel's Kiss' by Justin Richards ( A Melody Malone story)
3) 'Seeking Crystal' by Joss Stirling
4) 'My Sister Lives On The Mantlepiece' by Annabel Pitcher
5) 'The 5:2 Diet Book' by Kate Harrison
6) 'Across The Universe' by Beth Revis
7) 'A Million Suns' by Beth Revis
8) 'Dangerous Instincts' by Mary Ellen O'Toole & Alisa Bowman
9) 'Bone Quill' by John & Carole E Barrowman
10)'The Woman Who Died A Lot' by Jasper Fforde

11) 'Across The Universe - Shades Of Earth' by Beth Revis 

12) 'Clockwork Princess' by Cassandra Clare

13) ' A Text Book Case' by Jeffrey Deaver

14) 'The Blessing Of Brokenness' By Karin Slaughter

15)'City Of Bones ' by Cassandra Clare

16) 'City Of Ashes ' by Cassandra Clare

17) 'City Of Glass' by Cassandra Clare

18) 'City Of Fallen ' by Cassandra Clare

19) 'City Of Lost Souls' by Cassandra Clare

21) 'Death's Hand' by SM Reine

22) ' The Darkest Gate' by SM Reine

23) 'Damnation Marked' by SM Reine

24) 'Dire Blood' by SM Reine

25) 'Defying Fate' by SM Reine

26) 'Paradise Damned' by SM Reine

27) 'Six Moon Summer' by SM Reine

28) 'All Hallows Moon' by SM Reine

31) New Moon Summer by SM Reine

32) Blood Moon Harvest by SM Reine

33) Moon of The Terrible by SM Reine

34) Red Rose Moon by SM Reine

35) Dark Moon by SM Reine

36) Of Wings & Wolves by SM Reine

37) Alpha Moon by SM Reine

38) 30 Pieces Of Silver by Carolyn McCray

39) Ambush by Carolyn McCray

40) Targeted by Carolyn McCray

41) Covert by Carolyn McCray

42) Havoc by Carolyn McCray

43) Shiva by Carolyn McCray

44) Mayhem by Carolyn McCray

45) Magyk by Angie Sage

46) Flyte by Angie Sage

47) Physik by Angie Sage 

48) Queste by Angie Sage

49) Syren by Angie Sage

50) Darke by Angie Sage

51) Fyre by Angie Sage

52) Sacrificed In Shadow by SM Reine

53) Oaths Of Blood by SM Reine

54) Ruled By Steel by SM Reine

55) Caged In Bone by SM Reine

56) Inferno by Dan Brown

Edited by Chrissy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

1) The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Mr J Fforde is such a brilliant writer, and doesn't hold back with his often surreal imagery and concepts in this YA book.

Magic, loyalty, destiny alongside temperamental magicians, kings and politicians. The heroine, Jennifer Strange sits at the centre of the mounting chaos that surrounds Kazam, an employment agency for the magically inclined. Visions are being received, and expectations and greed make all sorts of people do mad and bad things. Jennifer navigates all with aplomb, understanding and a dry wit.

Whereas the Thursday Next series made me want a Dodo as a pet, now all I crave is a Quarkbeast. Damn you Mr Fforde! :D

2) Coffee At Luke's edited by Jennifer Crusie

Whitegold had mentioned reading this and I immediately had to have it! (Hey, don't y'all judge. I know I'm not alone in impulse book buying). It was such an enjoyable read. A collection of essays that discuss and analyse among other things Lorelai and Rory's relationship, Emily Gilmore in all her glory, marital bliss and eating. It is equal parts witty, interesting and takes us to the heart of this popular series.

The Last Dragonslayer and The Song of the Quarkbeast are the only two Jasper Fforde books I haven't read yet, so good to hear his YA is just as good and his adult fiction - looking forward to reading them now :smile2:

I've also seen Coffee At Luke's mentioned a few times on the forum, so it's definitely now going on my wishlist.

Let's hope your mojo has returned for good :)

Good job, Chrissy

It looks like your MOJO has found you again . :)

I am quietly confident that my sabbatical taking mojo may be ready to spend some time with me! ;)

The Last Dragonslayer and The Song of the Quarkbeast are the only two Jasper Fforde books I haven't read yet, so good to hear his YA is just as good and his adult fiction - looking forward to reading them now :smile2:

I've also seen Coffee At Luke's mentioned a few times on the forum, so it's definitely now going on my wishlist.

Let's hope your mojo has returned for good :)

I am looking forward to reading 'The Song Of The Quarkbeast', and carrying on with our lovely Jennifer. I have concluded that Jasper Fforde genuinely likes women and therefore gives us some fab heroines.

'Coffee At Luke's' was a great dip in and out of book. I could read a chapter / essay in a short sitting, and I think it helped not to spook my mojo when it wavered a week or two ago.

2) Coffee At Luke's edited by Jennifer Crusie

Whitegold had mentioned reading this and I immediately had to have it! (Hey, don't y'all judge. I know I'm not alone in impulse book buying). It was such an enjoyable read. A collection of essays that discuss and analyse among other things Lorelai and Rory's relationship, Emily Gilmore in all her glory, marital bliss and eating. It is equal parts witty, interesting and takes us to the heart of this popular series.

:D Nobody be judging! We know how easy it is to go and buy a book without giving it much second thought as to 'should one really buy it', 'does one really need it', 'can on really afford it' and all those stupid questions that plague us daily. Besides. I ain't judging you especially because it's one of those books you can't resist! I wonder... this book is probably not on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge list. I wonder... if Rory found a copy of it in the bookstore, what would she think? :o

3) Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt

I'll start with a quote from the book. Mr Chartwell, the black dog of depression of Churchill is describing some of his 'operational intricacies'.

I like to be there when he wakes in the morning. Sometimes I drape across his chest. That slows him down for a bit. And then I like to lie around in the corner of the room, crying out like I have terrible injuries. Sometimes I'll burst out at him from behind some furniture and bark in his face........I might lean on him too when he's standing up, or hang off him in some way. I also make an effort to block out the sunlight whenever I can.

A very very good description of depression. . I laughed at times with Mr Chartwell's little jokes and manipulatons causing me to chuckle, although he is the story's villain. Churchill is as I would imagine, and Esther makes an initially sad and helpless character.

This is an odd and original story. It is startling in it's honesty and haunting with both melodic and menacing undertones. This is a book that will stay with me, I can feel it worming itself into me as I type this.

Right that's it, I am reading some Fforde this year. All I've heard is great things and he sounds brilliant, so I'm not putting it off any longer. :smile2:

This is an odd and original story. It is startling in it's honesty and haunting with both melodic and menacing undertones. This is a book that will stay with me, I can feel it worming itself into me as I type this.

This also sounds brilliant, so it's going on the wishlist - thanks Chrissy. :friends0:

4) 'Clockwork Prince' by Cassandra Clare

I didn't mean to read this yet! I started it while I was deciding what to read next, and lo and behold I was reading this. :giggle2:

Cassandra Clare's book are descriptive and easy to read. I could happily lose the torn between two loves/ loyalties romance aspects of the stories, but don't find them so intrusive as to ruin the books altogether. In this second book of the Infernal Devices series we are once again in the company of Tessa, Will and Jem at the London Institute of the Shadowhunters.

It is well balanced between the necessary dialogue and the action, and I felt the story progressed at a good pace. The ensemble have to battle further allies of Mortmain, whilst silmutaneously dealing with betrayal from within, injury and emotional misunderstandings. CC likes her cliffhanger style endings, and this has an inetersting one, making me look forward to the next in the series.

These books aren't challenging, but they are readable and enjoyable escapes from a grey day.

I'll start with a quote from the book. Mr Chartwell, the black dog of depression of Churchill is describing some of his 'operational intricacies'.

A very very good description of depression. . I laughed at times with Mr Chartwell's little jokes and manipulatons causing me to chuckle, although he is the story's villain. Churchill is as I would imagine, and Esther makes an initially sad and helpless character.

I adored this book. It was so cleverly written - the premise sounds like it shouldn't work, but it absolutely does. I'm glad you liked it too :)

Right that's it, I am reading some Fforde this year. All I've heard is great things and he sounds brilliant, so I'm not putting it off any longer. :smile2:

This also sounds brilliant, so it's going on the wishlist - thanks Chrissy. :friends0:

Ooh yes, Fforde is great. If you've read Jane Eyre, I highly recommend Fforde's 'The Eyre Affair' I'm off to check out The Last Dragonslayer - thanks Chrissy :)

I hope you like Mr Chartwell. It's a quick read, and SO good :)

You've reviewed this book so well, Chrissy - it's now in my 'Look Everywhere Next Time In Library' notebook (otherwise known as my LENTIL list)

I tried to describe the premise of 'Mr Chartwell' to a friend and they just gave me a "Are you batty?" look. A brilliant and highly original read for sure. :smile:

Did you nod profusely when your friend gave you 'that look'?? :giggle2: Maybe we have to be a bit batty to understand these things :friends3:

Edited by poppy

Did you nod profusely when your friend gave you 'that look'?? :giggle2: Maybe we have to be a bit batty to understand these things :friends3:

No, I gave my "I'm amazed you don't get it " look. :D

Happy reading Chrissy, I have 'Clockwork Prince' waiting to be read. :)

It's not as darkly menacing as 'Clockwork Angel' was in parts, which allows the story to progress well. I think you'll enjoy it. :smile: