Climbing Mount To Be Read with Kat 2012

Lilywhite

Currently Reading

Already Read

26. Jodi Picoult ~ Harvesting the Heart

25. Gregory Maguire ~ Matchless (A Christmas Story)

24. Emma Donohue ~ The Sealed Letter

23. Jo Beverley ~ Ladt Notorious

22. Araminta Hall ~ Everything or Nothing

21. Karen Rose ~ No One Left to Tell

20. Cath Staincliffe ~ Split Second

19. Rachel Joyce ~ The Unlikely Pigrimage of Harold Fry

18. Philippa Gregory ~ Meridon

17. Philippa Gregory ~ The Favoured Child

16. Philippa Gregory ~ Wideacre

15. Mo Hayder ~ Hanging Hill

14. Jodi Picoult ~ Sing You Home

13. E.L. James ~ Fifty Shades of Grey

12. Ben Aaronovitch ~ Rivers of London

11. Kathy Lette ~ To Love, Honour and Betray

10. Jojo Moyes ~ Me Before You

9. Mons Kallentoft ~ Midwinter Sacrifice

8. Tamar Cohen ~ The Mistress's Revenge

7. Ali McNamara ~ From Notting Hill with Love... Actually

6. Alison Littlewood ~ A Cold Season

5. Mick Rathbone ~ The Smell of Football

4. Martina Cole ~ The Faithless

3. Lesley Pearse ~ Belle

2. John Grisham ~ Skipping Christmas

1. John Verdon ~ Think of a Number

'Mount To Be Read'

Mitch Albom ~ For One More Day

Kelley Armstrong ~ Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford Book 1)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Summoning (Darkest Powers Book 1)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Awakening (Darkest Powers Book 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Reckoning (Darkest Powers Book 3)

Margaret Atwood ~ The Handmaids Tale

Michele Bardsley ~ Because Your Vampire Said So! (book 3)

Michele Bardsley ~ Come hell or high water (book 6)

Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White

Trudi Canavan ~ Last of The Wilds

Trudi Canavan ~ Voice of The Gods

Trudi Canavan ~ Magicians Apprentice

Gail Carriger ~ Soulless

Tom Cox ~ Under The Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man

Christie Dickason ~ The Principessa

Pen Farthing ~ One Dog at a Time

Stephen Foster ~ Walking Ollie

Tess Gerritsen ~ In Their Footsteps

Tess Gerritsen ~ Stolen

Tess Gerritsen ~ Call After Midnight

Emily Giffin ~ Something Borrowed

Seth Grahame-Smith & Jane Austen ~ Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Philippa Gregory ~ The Red Queen (Cousins War Series bk 2)

Vicky Halls ~ Cat Counsellor

Charlaine Harris ~ Dead and Gone(book 9)

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Kiss

Torey Hayden ~ Beautiful Child

Mandasue Heller ~ The Pact

Susan Hill ~ Mrs DeWinter

Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Burning Times

Elizabeth Kostova ~ The Swan Thieves

Gregory Maguire ~ A Lion Amongst Men

Gregory Maguire ~ Lost

Gregory Maguire ~ Mirror Mirror

Donald McCaig ~ Rhett Butler's People

Karen Moline ~ Belladonna

Kate Morton ~ The Forgotten Garden

Christopher Paolini ~ Brisingr

Jean Plaidy ~ Castille For Isabella (Isabelle & Ferdinand Trilogy bk1)

Jean Plaidy ~ Uneasy Lies The Head (Tudors bk1)

Terry Pratchett ~ The Light Fantastic

Justine Picardie ~ Daphne

Eva Stachniak ~ Dancing With Kings

Jonathan Stroud ~ Heroes Of The Valley

Sue Townsend ~ The Queen & I

Willy Vlautin ~ Lean on Pete

Freda Warrington ~ A Taste of Blood Wine

J M Warwick ~ A Season of Eden

Alison Weir ~ The Lady Elizabeth

Alison Weir ~ Innocent Traitor

Christopher Paolini - Inheritance (bk 4)

Gregory Maguire ~ Out of Oz

Philippa Gregory ~ The Lady of the Rivers

Waiting to Arrive

My Wish List/Books of Interest

Kelley Armstrong ~ Waking The Witch (Otherworld book 11)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Spellbound (Otherworld book 12)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Angelic (Otherworld Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Forbidden (Otherworld Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Made To Be Broken (Nadia Stafford book 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Gathering (Darkest Powers book 4)

Michele Bardsley ~ Wait til your Vampire gets home (book 4)

Michele Bardsley ~ Over my dead body (book 5)

Michele Bardsley ~ Cross Your Heart (book 7)

Michele Bardsley ~ Must Love Lycans (book 8)

The Sacrifice by Kathleen Benner Duble

Jayne Slayre ~ Charlotte Bronte & Sherri Browning Erwin

Blameless ~ Gail Carriger

Truman Capote ~ Breakfast at Tiffany's

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Revelations: A Blue Bloods Novel by Melissa De La Cruz

The Van Alen Legacy: A Blue Bloods Novel by Melissa De La Cruz

The Spaniard's Daughter by Melanie Gifford

Charlaine Harris ~ Dead in the Family (book 10)

Charlaine Harris ~ A Touch of Dead (book 11)

Rosamund Lupton ~ Afterwards

Gregory Maguire ~ The Next Queen of Heaven

Carole Matthews ~ Wrapped up in You

Amy Molloy ~ Wife, Interrupted

The Italian Matchmaker by Santa Montefiore

Bernard Shaw ~ Pygmalion

Alison Weir ~ The Lady in the Tower

Elizabeth H. Winthrop ~ December

Cath Staincliffe ~ Looking For Trouble

Cath Staincliffe ~ Witness

Jodi Picoult ~ Between the Lines

Jodi Picoult ~ Lone Wolf

Terry Pratchett ~ Dodger

Previous Book Logs

Kat's 2011 Reading

What Kat Read Next 2010

Kat's Reading in 2009

Kat's Reading 2008

Kat's Reading 2007

Kat's Reading 2006

Think of a Number

John Verdon

It begins with a letter . . . The letter contains a request - think of a number, any number - and a sealed envelope. Inside the envelope is that number.

When Dave Gurney, retired NYPD homicide detective, is contacted by an old college acquaintance about some startling letters he's been receiving, it is at first little more than a diverting but sinister puzzle. Until the acquaintance is brutally killed.

Suddenly Gurney finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation that makes no sense. The killer seems to have known his victim intimately. How else was he able to predict his victim's thoughts, even his actions? How did he know his darkest secrets?

The killer is smart and he is playing with the police. Gurney needs to be smarter if he's going to catch him, but this seems only to be the beginning. And the killer alone knows where it will end.

Started: 21/12/11

Finished: 01/01/12

Rated: 3/5

Comments: This book is definitely worth a read. I was initially drawn in by the recommendation from Tess Gerritsen on the front cover and picked it up from my managers desk to have a nosey. She said she couldn't put it down and would pass it on when she was finished. It starts off a bit slow and takes a couple of chapters to actually get around to anything resembling a crime but once you are there, it picks up pace and keeps you guessing right to the end. I had my suspicions from very early on and was pleased when I was proven wrong (I hate predictability) I have been thoroughly engrossed for the last few days and have not been disappointed.

Skipping Christmas: Christmas with the Kranks

John Grisham

Imagine a year without Christmas. No crowded shops, no corny office parties, no fruitcakes, no unwanted presents. That's just what Luther and Nora Krank have in mind when they decide that, just this once, they'll skip the holiday altogether. Theirs will be the only house on the street without a rooftop Frosty the snowman; they won't be hosting their annual Christmas Eve bash; they aren't even going to have a tree. They won't need one, because come December 25 they're setting sail on a Caribbean cruise. But, as this weary couple is about to discover, skipping Christmas brings enormous consequences-and isn't half as easy as they'd imagined. A classic tale for modern times, Skipping Christmas offers a hilarious look at the chaos and frenzy that has become part of our holiday tradition

Started: 02/01/12

Finished: 02/01/12

Comments: This was the perfect read to end the holiday season with. In the aftermath of Christmas you fully empathise with the Kranks and their wish to avoid the holidays for just one year. I almost envied them and their plans to get away but knew in my heart that things would not run so smoothly. An entertaining tale that manages to point out all of those silly festive rituals that we go through year after year whilst at the same time, holding on to those reasons that we do it. Anyone who thinks they've had enough lights and tinsel for one year, I recommend this read to you.

Belle

Lesley Pearse

She witnessed a murder - and now her life is in danger . . .

Fifteen year-old Belle, though raised in a London brothel, is an innocent. But when she witnesses one of the girls brutally strangled by a client, she is cast into a cruel, heartless world. Snatched from the streets and sold into prostitution, she is made a courtesan in New Orleans. At the mercy of desperate men who crave her beauty and will do anything to keep her, Belle's dreams of home, family and freedom appear futile.

Are Belle's courage and spirit strong enough to help her escape? And what will await her at the end of the long, dangerous journey home?

Lesley Pearse, author of Number One bestseller Stolen, has done it again with Belle - a heroine for our times: a strong woman trying to be good in a world gone bad.

Started: 06/01/12

Finished: 12/01/12

Rated: 3.5/5

Comments: I was a little let down by Lesley Pearse's last book (Broken) and was a little apprehensive when I picked this one up but my fears were unfounded. This story was gritty right from the start and from the first couple of chapters, I was hooked. Several times I was quite annoyed at having to put it down and go back to my real world. It's quite fast moving, with ever changing scenery and it's only by the end do you realise the short time in which this book was based. My only reason for not scoring it any higher was the ending. By the last few chapters you kind of new what was going to happen and the main character is infuriatingly stubborn at times. This is definately on of Pearse's better stories, well up there with Remember Me.

The Faithless

Martina Cole

Gabby looked at the woman she had hated nearly all her life. Then she sat down on the ladder-backed chair, put her face into her bloodied hands and cried.

To the outside world, Cynthia Tailor is a woman to envy; she has a devoted husband, a lovely home and two gorgeous children. But Cynthia is deeply unhappy with her lot; she has always craved the best things in life, and is determined to see that she gets them. Cynthia will let nothing stand in her way, even if it means devastation and tragedy for those nearest to her. And the casualties are many: her husband Jimmy, weak and unable to fight the wife he can never please; her sister Celeste, from whom Cynthia steals her most precious possession; and her parents, Mary and Jack, who pick up the pieces. But the victims who suffer the most are Cynthia's children. For James Junior and Gabby, the pain she causes will stay with them for ever...

Started: 12/01/12

Finished: 19/01/12

Comments: Another page turner from Martina Cole. It's not her best work, by a long stretch but it still has a readable quality about it. Towards the end, it started to get a bit slow, and I think she knew that when she was writing it, as she kept flicking forward by a few years every other chapter. There were only a few characters in this one, and from the outset, you knew you would never like one of them; you're not supposed to. The rest of them you grew to love as the story developed. This isn't as hard hitting as her usual books, but I think that is a good thing.

Skipping Christmas: Christmas with the Kranks

John Grisham

Comments: This was the perfect read to end the holiday season with. In the aftermath of Christmas you fully empathise with the Kranks and their wish to avoid the holidays for just one year. I almost envied them and their plans to get away but knew in my heart that things would not run so smoothly. An entertaining tale that manages to point out all of those silly festive rituals that we go through year after year whilst at the same time, holding on to those reasons that we do it. Anyone who thinks they've had enough lights and tinsel for one year, I recommend this read to you.

I remember reading this book on the bus and I started crying at the end it was so touching. Its a nice little read and very different from all his lawyer books.

• 2 weeks later...

The Smell of Football

Mick Rathbone

When Mick Rathbone signed for Birmingham City as a 16 year-old apprentice he was living every schoolboy's dream. But when he discovered he was so nervous he was unable to speak, let alone pass the ball, in the presence of his boyhood hero and City star Trevor Francis he realised that a career in football might not be everything he had imagined. The Smell of Football is the brutally honest and utterly unputdownable story of how 'Baz' conquered his personal demons to build a life in the game - from the terrified teenager who purposely tried to get injured in training rather than get picked for the first team, to the experienced pro who became Head of Medicine at Premier League Everton FC in charge of the treatment of the likes of Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha and Tim Cahill. Brilliantly written and packed with hilarious tales featuring a football 'who's who' cast of characters - from Sir Alf Ramsey and 'Big Sam' Allardyce to David Moyes, Duncan Ferguson and Rooney himself - The Smell of Football is an engrossing and moving memoir that covers every aspect of the professional game and gives an unprecedented insight into what life is really like at football's coalface.

Started: 21/01/12

Finished: 29/01/12

Rated: 5/5

Comments: Right from the start I was hooked with this book. Not only because I know of Mick from his time at my local football team but the light comedic style in which the book is written, instantly puts you at ease. Some biographies I have read tend to go on about the boring stuff we don't want to know and only touch upon the interesting bits. This one, however, is full of funny and touching anecdotes from the various decades in which Mick has worked in the industry. I'm pretty sure that, even if you didn't have an interest in football, you would still find this book strangely readable.

I've somehow managed to acquire another 4 books this week to add to my TBR mountain.

From Notting Hill with Love Actually ~ Ali McNamara and To Love Honour and Betrey ~ Kathy Letteboth came from Greenmetropolis with credits for books I've sold. I then got a copy of A Cold Season ~ Alison Littlewood from Richard & Judy's 2012 book club, which I will be reviewing for WHSmith. Finally, a colleague who is leaving next week gave me her copy of The Mistress's Revenge ~ Tamar Cohen as she had seem me eyeing it up on her desk!!

Suppose I better get reading!

A Cold Season

Alison Littlewood

Cass is building a new life for herself and her young son Ben after the death of her soldier husband Pete, returning to the village where she lived as a child. But their idyllic new home is not what she expected: the other flats are all empty, there's strange graffiti on the walls, and the villagers are a bit odd. And when an unexpectedly heavy snowstorm maroons the village, things get even harder. Ben is changing, he's surly and aggressive and Cass's only confidant is the smooth, charming Theodore Remick, the stand-in headmaster. Not everyone approves of Cass's growing closeness to Mr Remick, and it soon becomes obvious he's not all he appears to be either. If she is to protect her beloved son, Cass is going to have to fight back. Cass realises this is not the first time her family have been targeted by Theodore Remick. But this time, the stakes are immeasurably higher...

Started: 30/01/12

Finished: 03/02/12

Comments: This book was nothing like I expected it to be. I’m not even entirely sure what I expected but it wasn’t this! The writing style is incredibly simple, and the short, punchy chapters create great atmosphere.

Like the cover artwork, the story is set in a very grey/white setting. Winter, snow and fog all draw the environment inwards. This is then punctuated with splashes of colour; blue eyes, red scarf, blood. From the outset, I was slightly on edge. There is a definite atmosphere about the small village to which Cass has moved, something not quite right. Every now and then you are given snippets of Cass’s past, hinting at a deeper reason for her choice of new home. Every couple of chapters, you are given another snippet of information to keep you turning the page. You are also very sympathetic to her cause. Recently widowed, with a young child, she is looking for a new start for them both, and perhaps, an escape from something else entirely.

Like the village, the characters we are introduced to, have a sinister edge. Whilst they are likeable and welcoming on the outside, there is something odd about each and every one of them. From the overly friendly neighbour to the slightly creepy head teacher and the stand offish grocery shop keeper. As the story develops, the village becomes increasingly isolated from the outside world, and even with the few characters that are around, it starts to feel a little claustrophobic.

The more I read of this book, the more I was gripped. I had a need to know what was going on in the village and what would happen to Cass and her boy. I was drawn in by the sense of something just about to happen and when it finally did, I was caught in the whirlwind of the fast paced action. The story builds and builds and then, kind of erupts in all kinds of strange and scary things.

Personally I found the ending a bit odd, but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment one bit. I sense the openness of the ending may lead to a sequel sometime in the future, and would gladly pick it up and give it a go. This is a great read for the dark winter months so snuggle up in the warm and enjoy.

From Notting Hill with Love Actually

Ali McNamara

She was just a girl, standing in front of a boy . . . wishing he looked more like Hugh Grant. Scarlett loves the movies. But does she love sensible fiancé David just as much? With a big white wedding on the horizon, Scarlett really should have decided by now . . . When she has the chance to house-sit in Notting Hill - the setting of one of her favourite movies - Scarlett jumps at the chance. But living life like a movie is trickier than it seems, especially when her new neighbour Sean is so irritating. And so irritatingly handsome, too. Scarlett soon finds herself starring in a romantic comedy of her very own: but who will end up as the leading man?

Started: 04/02/12

Finished: 16/02/12

Comments: This was a great Valentine's read. You can't beat a fluffy chick-lit love story every now and again. This story had the added enjoyment of spotting all your favourite movie scenes being played out within the book. The story was, at times, far fetched, but I just went along with it. As soon as I learnt to let go of my expectations, I enjoyed the story a million times more. The main character, Scarlett, is a loveable fool and you travel with her on a journey of self discovery. Good fun and very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mistress's Revenge

Tamar Cohen

Never have an affair with anyone who has less to lose than you. And - never underestimate the wrath of a woman scorned.

For five years, Sally and Clive have been lost in a passionate affair. Now he has dumped her, to devote himself to his wife and family, and Sally is left in freefall.

It starts with a casual stroll past his house, and popping into the brasserie where his son works. Then Sally starts following Clive's wife and daughter on Facebook. But that's alright isn't it? I mean they are perfectly normal things to do. Aren't they?

Not since Fatal Attraction has the fallout from an illicit affair been exposed in such a sharp, darkly funny and disturbing way:The Mistress's Revenge is a truly exciting fiction debut. After all, who doesn't know a normal, perfectly sane woman who has gone a little crazy when her heart was broken?

Started: 19/02/12

Finished: 22/02/2012

Rated: 5/5

Comments: I can't recommend this book highly enough. Written in a journal style, you are taken straight into the centre of the fallout from Sally's affair. At first you empathise with her. Despite her infidelity, you know she's not a horrible person. You understand she's been taken in by this charming bloke and now he has dropped her like a rock. As the story devolps, you start to see the cracks emerging. Sally is justifying all her actions but from the outside, you can see it isn't going to end anytime soon. As the pace picks up and we are hurtled towards an ineveitable showdown, you can't help but wonder, what will happen to everyone involved. I just couldn't put this one down until I had turned that final page and finished the story. Very compelling reading.

Midwinter Sacrifice

Mons Kallentoft

The snow covered all the tracks, as the killer knew it would. But it couldn't hide the victim, the man who now hung naked from a lonely tree on a frozen plain.

Malin Fors is first on the scene. A thirty-one-year-old single mother, Malin is the most talented and ambitious detective on the Linkoping police force, but also the most unpredictable. She must lead the investigation while keeping her fractured life on the rails.

No one knows the identity of the dead man. Or perhaps no one ever wanted to know. When all the voices of the investigation have fallen silent, Malin can rely only on herself and her own instincts. And as she follows in the frigid wake of the killer, Malin begins to discover just how far the people in this small town are willing to go to keep their secrets buried.

Started: 23/02/12

Finished: 19/03/12

Rated: 4/5

Comments: I was a little apprehensive starting this book as I have tried (and failed) to read translated books before and always felt that something was missing. I needn’t have worried though; this book flows so well that it hardly made a difference.

The setting is bleak and the crime is shocking for the small town of Linkoping. Detective Malin Fors is first on the scene and as we follow her progress with her investigation, a strong, yet insecure character climbs out of the pages and builds herself before your eyes.

As the investigation unfolds, Malin works mainly on instinct to try and solve a brutal murder. As the police work tirelessly to find the culprit we are given an unusual narration from the victim. Like the reader, he is but a mere observer to the investigation of his own murder and at times, you wonder if it will be solved at all. But perseverance and good old instinctive detective work win out in the end.

I will definitely be looking out for more from Mons Kallentoft in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Me Before You

Jojo Moyes

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

Started: 20/03/12

Finished: 24/03/12

Comments: This was a great story from start to finish. Although it tackles a highly emotive topic, it does so in a very delicate way. The characters are strong and you grow to love them as the story develops. It certainly has it's moments, one minute I'm laughing out loud and the next I'm stifling a tear but it's well worth it. It's not complex and it's not very taxing but it doesn't claim to be. It's so much more than a light Summer read, but at the same time, you're not going to be bogged down with multiple strands of a story. If you find yourself with a copy, sit down and enjoy the read. I guarantee you won't be able to put it down until the very end.

• 4 weeks later...

To Love, Honour and Betray

Kathy Lette

You can always trust a man - to do the dirty on you. When Lucy finds out her football coach hubby's been playing away from home, she's devastated. But when she discovers just who he's been scoring with, she wants to kick a few balls of her own. So now that Lucy's learnt that her perfect marriage was like most of her orgasms (faked), the big question is are all men 'persons of dubious parentage', or will she find the one exception to the rule?

Lucy’s been married for so long, her wedding certificate should be in hieroglyphics. When Jasper walks out after eighteen years, she panics. What will she do about vehicle maintenance, shifting heavy objects and Allen keys? Not to mention her rebellious teenage daughter Tally, who blames Lucy for the marital meltdown. Low self-esteem is hereditary: you get it from your kids. While Tally’s busy trying to find a loophole in her birth certificate so she can put herself up for adoption, Lucy strives to accept that a child is for life and not just for Christmas. Could teenagers be God’s punishment for having sex in the first place? This is a book about what to do when you fall in love. (Wipe it off your shoes before you walk it all over the carpet.) But above all it's a survival guide for anyone who has realized that the perfect marriage is like an orgasm – many of them are faked.

Started: 11/04/12

Finished: 13/04/12

Rated: 2/5

Comments: This wasn't the best Lette book I've ever read. I thought the characters were quite weak and the story was a bit thin on the ground. Despite this, there was still plenty of laugh out loud moments to be had. You just can't beat this woman's wicked sense of humour.

Rivers of London (Bk1)

Ben Aaronovitch

My name is Peter Grant and until January I was just probationary constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking people as the Metropolitan Police Service (and as the Filth to everybody else). My only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the Case Progression Unit - we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to - and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously perky WPC Leslie May. Then one night, in pursuance of a murder inquiry, I tried to take a witness statement from someone who was dead but disturbingly voluable, and that brought me to the attention of Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England. Now I'm a Detective Constable and a trainee wizard, the first apprentice in fifty years, and my world has become somewhat more complicated: nests of vampires in Purley, negotiating a truce between the warring god and goddess of the Thames, and digging up graves in Covent Garden . . . and there's something festering at the heart of the city I love, a malicious vengeful spirit that takes ordinary Londoners and twists them into grotesque mannequins to act out its drama of violence and despair. The spirit of riot and rebellion has awakened in the city, and it's falling to me to bring order out of chaos - or die trying.

Started: 17/04/12

Finished: 20/05/12

Comments: This was an awesome read! I was slightly put off by it being billed as the "Harry Potter for grown ups" as I don't particularly like HP, however, having read it, I can see where they were coming from. They were off by a mile, but I see their point. This book is so easy to read and moves at a very steady pace. I love the modern setting and how there are people who know all about the magic/supernatural that take it in their stride, versus those everyday folk that they have to keep it hidden from and try to make up "normal" excuses for what is going on. I liked both the crime aspect and the fantasy and neither outdid the other. I will be heading off shortly to get the next instalment of this one.

• 1 month later...

Sing You Home

Jodi Picoult

Zoe Baxter has spent ten years trying to get pregnant, and just when she's about to get her heart's desire, tragedy destroys her world. In the aftermath of loss and divorce, she throws herself into her career as a music therapist. Working with Vanessa, she finds their relationship moving from business, to friendship, and then - to Zoe's surprise - blossoming into love. When Zoe allows herself to start thinking of children again, she remembers that there are still frozen embryos that she and her husband never used. But Max, having sought peace at the bottom of a bottle, has found redemption in an evangelical church, and Zoe needs his permission to take his unborn child ...

Started: 21/05/12

Finished: 21/06/12

Comments: This isn't the best Picoult book I've read, however, it's still a good read. She just has a lot of expectation to live up to. The gay rights issue was right up to date and very well handled (IMO) As with all Picoult books, her story isn't complicated and bogged down with intricate plot twists. She gets straight to the point and lays everything bare. I always find her books to be very thought provoking and a bit of an emotional roller coaster and this one is no different.

• 2 weeks later...

Fifty Shades of Grey

E.L. James

When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.

Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.

But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view .

Started: 27/05/12

Finished: 02/06/12

Rated: 1/5

Comments: I though it was only fair to read this one before passing judgement and having read varying reviews, I really didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to know what all the hype was about. Many people have compared it to Twilight and I can see why. It's not the story or the characters that are similar; it's more about the media/promotional people pushing a badly written book that wouldn't have sold a fraction of the copies it has without being in the public eye. Like Twilight, it's a barely passable story written by a complete amateur. It has a moany lead character, that I would love to smack, square in the face, to knock some sense into her, and the over the top, up on a pedestal, beautiful man that she will do anything to be with. I'm pretty sure that there are many, many better books out there should you wish to experience this genre.

• 3 weeks later...

Hanging Hill

Mo Hayder

The Victim

A teenage girl has been brutally murdered on her way home from school. The cryptic message 'all like her' is crudely written on her body.

The Silence

The dead girl's friends are deeply shocked and upset, but they all refuse to reveal anything about her last movements. Who are they protecting? And what more do they know?

The Fear

Headstrong Detective Inspector Zoë Benedict knows exactly how she wants to work this case. But Zoë's own dark past, if exposed, may jeopardize the search for justice . . . and destroy her too.

Started: 01/07/12

Finished: 10/07/12

Comments:

Ah Kat, you summed up Fifty Shades of Grey up perfectly. Admittedly I've only read a handful of chapters, but that was more than enough to realise that it was some over-hyped drivel, in the same vein as Twilight. I mean, I can't understand the fascination. It was poorly written from what I read, and there are certainly many books that are much better that don't get half as much attention; a thought that really disappoints me.

Edited by Ben

Thanks Ben. I hate to be so negative about a book, especially a first book but it really doesn't warrant the amount of publicity that it's getting. There are far better books out there that deserve the public eye. But I suppose most people will realise that by reading it, like I did, and won't go on to purchase any more of her books.

Rivers of London (Bk1)

Ben Aaronovitch

This is one of those books where it looks as if it would be my kind of thing, but something is putting me off. In this sort of circumstance, I usually decide of all a sudden that I want to read it, and I end up loving it. One day.....

Fifty Shades of Grey

E.L. James

Comments: I though it was only fair to read this one before passing judgement and having read varying reviews, I really didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to know what all the hype was about. Many people have compared it to Twilight and I can see why. It's not the story or the characters that are similar; it's more about the media/promotional people pushing a badly written book that wouldn't have sold a fraction of the copies it has without being in the public eye. Like Twilight, it's a barely passable story written by a complete amateur. It has a moany lead character, that I would love to smack, square in the face, to knock some sense into her, and the over the top, up on a pedestal, beautiful man that she will do anything to be with. I'm pretty sure that there are many, many better books out there should you wish to experience this genre.

Thank you Kat - you've just confirmed my fears for this one - I'll definitely be avoiding it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wideacre

Philippa Gregory

Wideacre Hall, set in the heart of the English countryside, is the ancestral home that Beatrice Lacey loves. But as a woman of the eighteenth century she has no right of inheritance. Corrupted by a world that mistreats women, she sets out to corrupt others. Sexual and wilful, she believes that the only way to achieve control over Wideacre is through a series of horrible crimes, and no-one escapes the consequences of her need to possess the land.

Started: 12/07/12

Finished: 29/07/2012

Comments: Wow! This really is a book and a half. Whilst I sometimes struggled to empathise with Beatrice and her selfish and blinkered attitude, I was gripped by her quest to secure her home for herself. It is such a dark and disturbing story that unfolds around this 18th Century household and we are thrust right into the centre of it. We are privy to her plots and schemes and can only read on, helplessly as it all comes together with tragic consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

The Favoured Child

Philippa Gregory

The Wideacre estate is bankrupt, the villagers are living in poverty and Wideacre Hall is a smoke-blackened ruin.

But in the Dower House two children are being raised in protected innocence. Equal claimants to the inheritance of Wideacre, rivals for the love of the village, they are tied by a secret childhood betrothal but forbidden to marry. Only one can be the favoured child. Only one can inherit the magical understanding between the land and the Lacey family that can make the Sussex village grow green again. Only one can be Beatrice Lacey’s true heir.

Started: 29/07/12

Finished: 15/08/12

Comments: I am loving these books and can't wait to read the final instalment. I love how the story has carried on almost seamlessly from the previous book, although you wouldn't necessarily have had to have read it either. There is something of an epic feel to them and although I am coming to these over twenty years after they were written, they don't seem to have aged at all.