James Herbert

Kell

I really enjoyed it! It was the first James Herbet book I read...really, the first proper horror I'd read, and while it shocked me, I read it in just a few sittings (although I refused to read it late at night). It got me interested enough to go and find some of his other books.

what othere books have you found to read next?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there. The Magic Cottage is a beltingly good book, as is Creed. One of the creepiest books I've ever read is The Dark and I loved Moon as well. I have read them all, see. He's very good. The one thing I wasn't keen on in Nobody True was that the chaps that did him over, so to speak, were of middle-eastern origin - and I felt that, at the time of publishing, responsible authors should really avoid writing things that may encourage xenophobic feelings.

Eeee....I do go on, sometimes. I need a cup of tea, don't I?!? :readingtwo:

'84, I think it's called? That one really did freak me out, but I enjoyed it immensely. And I have The Rats lined up to read soon, too.

I have not read the Rat's but I have read 48 that was fantastic. It was a little spooky how I was recommended that read. Someone (a lady) just put her hand on my shoulder and said 48 in my ear as she was leaving the train. I can only assume that she had seen me reading Creed and thought I might like it.......................I have never seen her again to ask!

Spoooookkkyyyyyyy..........

Hello there. The Magic Cottage is a beltingly good book, as is Creed. One of the creepiest books I've ever read is The Dark and I loved Moon as well. I have read them all, see. He's very good. The one thing I wasn't keen on in Nobody True was that the chaps that did him over, so to speak, were of middle-eastern origin - and I felt that, at the time of publishing, responsible authors should really avoid writing things that may encourage xenophobic feelings.

Eeee....I do go on, sometimes. I need a cup of tea, don't I?!? :readingtwo:

I have Moon in my fish tank cupboard (the to read section on the house). I really need mr Herbert to bring out a new one...........its been ages since crickley hall.

Did you enjoy your cuppa?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed The Secret Of Crickley Hall, because I managed to get it for €2.50 in a charity shop today. It's huge! 630 pages! I'da bought ANY book of 630 pages for €2.50!

Awwhh nobody's talking about poor Jim.

I'm 330 pages into Crickley Hall. 110 pages a day isn't bad going, and it'll be more than that by tonight as I'll probably get through about 50-100 today.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I love Gabe, Loren and Cally, they're all likeable characters with pretty distinct personalities. Cally is really sweet, the way she always turns up with Smarties is quite endearing :)

I don't like Eve as much, but I never like

breaved mothers who go off the wall trying to contact missing/dead family members, they get a bit hysterical and stupid usually,

so I don't like her.

I like the ghosts so far as well. There's a proper history, and the ghosts of the children are harmless. The real mystery/horror is in the character of Augustus Cribben, which is pretty cool. I like the whole good spirit/bad spirit thing.

Overall so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

• 1 month later...
The only James Herbert I've read are The Rats, The Jonah and The Fog when I was a teenager a loooong time ago. From what I remember I enjoyed them.

I remember reading The Rats as a teenager but don't think i could read something like that now! Some of his early books are brilliant though, genuinely scary.

• 2 months later...

James Herbert stayed in a hotel in Aldeburgh when he was writing his book Johnah I met him on a beach walk and we got talking about birds, In the book he mentions a bird watcher and I secretly wished it was me he was thinking about when he wrote the birdwatcher pieces. I found Herbert a very shy man,

I enjoy all his books but some like 48 was boring

His next novel is the third in the David Ash series and was meant to be out sometime this year but that's looking highly unlikely now, unfortunately. I'm not entirely sure how true this is but he has apparently been very unwell for some time :welcome2:

James Herbert stayed in a hotel in Aldeburgh when he was writing his book Johnah I met him on a beach walk and we got talking about birds, In the book he mentions a bird watcher and I secretly wished it was me he was thinking about when he wrote the birdwatcher pieces. I found Herbert a very shy man,

I enjoy all his books but some like 48 was boring

Good stuff! I think it often seems to be the case that some of the artists who express themselves in the more extreme ways tend to be quite shy and reserved in 'real' life.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Haunted recently, and I thought it was spendid! Not too long but in-depth enough to be satisfying, and as others have said, it's an old fashioned kind of ghost story in many ways. Which is refreshing, as a spooky atmosphere is often more effective than just blood and gore. (Though I do like his more bloody stuff like The Fog as well).

I was lucky enough to get a sort of middle-sized hardback of The Ghosts of Sleath for 99p from a charity shop a couple of months back too, and as that is apparently a kind of sequel, I'll look forward to that.

I think Nobody True will be my next one of his to read though.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Right this general James Herbert thread is the result of seven (yes, SEVEN!) individual Herbert threads combined. Everyone please post all Herbert-releated things here now. :)

I also have no idea if he's still writing, but I've actually only read a couple of his books so there are plenty to keep me going if he's not! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved Haunted and The Ghosts of Sleath, I'm looking forward to the third David Ash novel. I think it was Others that I read and I really did not like it, I think for me it just had too much of the "ick" factor for me. I've had The Magic Cottage recommended to me so I just have to see if my local library has it.