James Herbert

Kell

See, I preferred his novels like The Magic Cottage and Once - I thought those the strongest of his. I also liked Creed, but mostly I find Herbet's early stuff more disappointing - The Dark was dire and The Haunting was incredibly predictable and rather boring. I haven't read very much of his more recent work, but I did rather enjoy Others - that one was quite good.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really got into James Herbert's books that much - I've bought a few but can't even remember if I finished them (so I must not have been too impressed).

The only one of his books I absolutely loved was Fluke, which I don't think is typical of his work. Maybe that's why I loved it so much! It was so sad and emotional, rather than just being straightforward horror (though the situation could be viewed as quite horrific).

I loved "The Fog" which is the first one I read followed by Johnah which was based where I live The Rats trilogy was good too. I have read all the others some good some poor, I keep up to date with his works but they seem to be more adult fairy tales than anything. Nobody True was very hard work but I had to finish it to review it and give it a poor rating in the hope that Herbert would listen to his readers

Just visited the James Herbert web site it is two years out of date!!

http://www.james-herbert.co.uk/home.htm

Edited by Michelle
merged

I have read most of James Herbert's books, the most recent book I read of his was 'The Secret of Crickley Hall', which was really good.

I think he is mellowing in years or maybe he needed the change :smile2:

• 6 months later...

I read this book recently and I quite enjoyed it! I thought some approaches were original, the main character was likeable and what was a cliche was very well done. The ending went a bit loopy though.

Having said that, it's the first Herbert book I've read.

Anyone want to suggest better books by him?

I remember 48, I thought it was bloody brilliant, but now can't remember the ending, guess I'll have to reread that one!

The ghost of Crickley Hall was very, very good, I enjoyed reading it and couldn't put it down. The same went for Nobody True and Portent. I would have loved to see the relationship between James and Diane to have developed a lot more, having said that it was beautifully written.

Can't wait to get started on Haunted.

Batty

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought on finishing Haunted was, "Wow! That was fun!" And it was! :friends0:Haunted is a good old fashioned ghost story with just enough "present day" to "kick it up a notch." I especially liked the juxtaposition of Ashe's memories of the drowning of his sister and the later, unanticipated by me, revelation of her ghost's participation in her brother's torment.

I would like have a deeper exploration of the relationship between Ash and Kate, or not to mention it at all. Herbert seem to be trying to tell us something about Ash and Kate, then he just drops the subject. Maybe there will be more in an upcoming novel?

I could live without the final confrontation between Ash and the ghosts at the train station. OK, let the ghosts be watching the departing train from the platform, but that last attack inside of the train was just hokie and completely unnecessary. That sort of 'ghost pops out of the closet" device is old and over-done.

All in all I enjoyed the book and it's has convinced me to try another of Herbert's books. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

After being disappinted with Stephen King as late, I have gone back to James Herbert and picked up The Secret of Crickley Hall and although I am only a third of the way through the book is amazing.

Unlike the King books I have read lately, Herbert had me hooked onto this book within 3 or 4 chapters with a few chills running up and down my spine!!

Has anyone else read this book and found the same things - addictable and quite spooky in places!

Each night this book is being read and hope to have it finished soon, but to be honest this is one of the best books I have read for a while

Only downside is the copy I have is hardback and its quite hard to hold that and a cup of tea in the bath laugh.gifsmile.gif

Edited by malefic

• 1 month later...
The Magic Cottage is his best book for me, although i liked Portent, 48, Nobody True and The Fog too. he is one of my favourite authors.

I enjoyed all his books i think they are well written but my altime favourite is nobody true, Others. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just closed the back cover on James Herbert's Nobody True, James has knocked me for six again, might have to revisit this book one day........has anyone else read it?:readingtwo:

Edited by Michelle
Title changed to something more descriptive, and helpful for future searches!

I have, when it was first published. I really liked it. In fact, I have a signed-by-the-author copy! Ooooh! ;)

My hubby got two books the same one christmas, and one went back to the book shop for an exchange........but the books were mixed up and the unsigned one I had given him stayed at home and the signed one went to the shop. He had not even realised it was a signed one until the person that bought it for him mentioned it a few months later! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed it! It was the first James Herbet book I read...really, the first proper horror I'd read, and while it shocked me, I read it in just a few sittings (although I refused to read it late at night). It got me interested enough to go and find some of his other books.