11. Mo Hayder - Pig Island

12.James Herbert - Others

13, Penny Vincenzi- No Angel

14. Penny Vincenzi - Forbidden Places

(more to be added soon)

Edited by Angel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the Stephen King 11.22.63. This book sees King attempting to explore the feasability of time travel in order to change major events in history and the potential effect on modern day, however this book does lack the usual classic horror that King is so popular for. This time I did not feel the heartbeat racing. However it was a very good read and I would reread.

Moving onto Richard Montanari - The Echo Man.

51soYRnRN5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Edited by Angel

• 2 weeks later...

Shakespeare's Mistress was a very pleasant read. Did the Bard have a mistress and was Anne Whately intended to be his wife. Records show that he was granted permissio to marry Anne on one day but had a 'shotgun' marriage to Ann Hathaway which ended up as a distrastrous marriage. Were those seductive sonnets dedicated to his first love?

Juststarting Anna Dean - A Woman of Consequence

51uV8MIz%2B0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Edited by Angel

9780755346271.jpg

Titania Hardie - The Houuse of the Winds

San Francisco, 2007. Madeline Moretti is grieving for her fiancé. Nothing brings her joy any more, and Maddie's grandmother, a fiery Italian, sends her to Tuscany to heal. Here, Maddie is immersed in the mystery of a ruined villa. Destroyed centuries ago in a legendary storm on the Eve of St Agnes, it has been known ever since as the Casa al Vento - the House of the Wind.

Tuscany, 1347. Mia hasn't spoken since her mother's death, and lives in silence with her beloved aunt. One dark night, a couple seek refuge in their villa. Used to welcoming passing pilgrims, Mia is entranced by the young bride's radiance and compassion, but mystified by her reluctance to reveal even her name. Where has she come from, and why must her presence be a secret?

Centuries apart, each searching for a way to step into her future, Mia and Maddie will be haunted by the myth of the woman who walked unscathed from the ruins of the House of the Wind.

Edited by Angel

• 2 weeks later...

The House of the Wind was a lovely read intertwining the plague of 1347 in Italy with the years 2007-8.

Moving onto a new writer to me

Andrew Miller - Pure

51UAyOJhtOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

A year of bones, of grave-dirt, relentless work. Of mummified corpses and chanting priests.

A year of rape, suicide, sudden death. Of friendship too. Of desire. Of love...

A year unlike any other he has lived.

Deep in the heart of Paris, its oldest cemetery is, by 1785, overflowing, tainting the very breath of those who live nearby. Into their midst comes Jean-Baptiste Baratte, a young, provincial engineer charged by the king with demolishing it.

At first Baratte sees this as a chance to clear the burden of history, a fitting task for a modern man of reason. But before long, he begins to suspect that the destruction of the cemetery might be a prelude to his own.

Edited by Angel

Thank you Roland Butter :smile:

Pure was not my usual type read and if I'm honest found it a bit slow going at first. A bit of a strange subject matter - how a man survives clearing one of France's biggest cemetries :blink:

Now reading James Forrester - The Roots of Betrayal

51lcbB%2BgrVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg1564: Catholic herald William Harley, Clarenceux King of Arms, is the custodian of a highly dangerous document. When it is stolen, Clarenceux immediately suspects a group of Catholic sympathisers, the self-styled Knights of the Round Table. Francis Walsingham, the ruthless protégé of the queen's Principal Secretary, Sir William Cecil, intercepts a coded message from the Knights to a Countess known to have Catholic leanings. He is convinced that Clarenceux is trying to use the document to advance the cause of the Catholic Queen. And soon Clarenceux enters a nightmare of suspicion, deception and conspiracy. Conflict and fear, compounded by the religious doubts of the time, conceal a persistent mystery. Where has the document gone? Who has it and who really took it? And why? The roots of betrayal are deep and shocking: and Clarenceux's journey towards the truth entails not just the discovery of clues and signs, but also the discovery of himself.

Edited by Angel

I really enjoyed the Stephen King 11.22.63. This book sees King attempting to explore the feasability of time travel in order to change major events in history and the potential effect on modern day, however this book does lack the usual classic horror that King is so popular for. This time I did not feel the heartbeat racing. However it was a very good read and I would reread.

I'll be getting to this soon enough, so I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it, even if it is a bit different from his usual horror-filled works. :D

Edited by Ben

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Ben :smile:

It's been years since I read The Dead Zone, but I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too :)

iI really enjoyed it as well but I'm not sure about the ending though. Although inevitable I just think that compared with the rest of the book it appeared rushed.

After the week I've had at work I need a serious cheering up so some light entertainment

41D%2BT-eB-IL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

She stopped at nothing. To get everything.

Scheming social climber Alexa may be humbly born. But she's a class-hopping cruise missile aimed at the very top of the gold-digging tree. Only a title, mansion and family tiara will do. Befriending feckless aristo Florrie (three surnames plus black hole where her brain should be) means the grandest doors swing open and the prince of her dreams is in sight. But has Florrie's mother, the formidable Lady Annabel, rumbled what Alexa is up to?

Beautiful but penniless student Polly, meanwhile, is in love. Is Max, the handsome young vet she's found in a country lane, quite as ordinary as he seems, however?

Passionate love, eye-widening snobbery and more than naked ambition abound in this contemporary Cinderella tale - a deliciously satirical novel of the upwardly mobile

Wendy Holden never ever fails to give a good light hearted read and I would this one to anyone who loves her books

Richard Montanari - The Devil's Garden

51%2BZFVFYFIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Michael Roman is finally living the life he always dreamed of - he has a successful career, a beautiful wife and adorable twin daughters. But his idyllic life is about to come crashing down around him - because Michael is a man with a past.

A rising star in the New York District Attorney's office and on the cusp of enormous success, Michael's perfect life begins to unravel when he finds himself the target of a depraved madman, a man who covets everything Michael has and will stop at nothing to take it all away.

In a desperate fight to survive, Michael is forced to confront the dark secrets of his past in order to save his family. He must hunt down the psychopath who is targeting his family and, before it is too late, face the devil himself . . .

Laura - you will love it !

Now reading Karin Slaughter - Kisscut

511VQTY8MRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Kisscut begins with a particularly explosive opening. In the car park of a skating rink in the small southern town of Heartsdale, chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver witnesses a teenage girl pointing a gun at a man. But the detective, there for a date with his ex-wife Sara (the town's medical examiner and paediatrician), is obliged to shoot the girl to save the boy's life. The subsequent autopsy brings to light a gallery of horrors, and as Tolliver and Sara undertake a particularly difficult investigation, they are met with a wall of silence.

51BWESbP5ML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

When Eva's film star sister Katrina dies, she leaves California and returns to Cornwall, where they spent their childhood summers, to scatter Katrina's ashes and in doing so return her to the place where she belongs.

But Eva must also confront the ghosts from her own past, as well as those from a time long before her own. For the house where she so often stayed as a child is home not only to her old friends the Halletts, but also to the people who had lived there in the eighteenth century. When Eva finally accepts that she is able to slip between centuries and see and talk to the inhabitants from hundreds of years ago, she soon finds herself falling for Daniel Butler, a man who lived -- and died -- long before she herself was born.

Eva begins to question her place in the present, and in laying her sister to rest, comes to realise that she too must decide where she really belongs, choosing between the life she knows and the past she feels so drawn towards.

• 3 weeks later...

51gXEOMZRtL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA160_.jpgLone Wolf is the story of a family brought back together through a terrible accident. When Luke Warren is bringing his teenage daughter, Cara, home from a party, the two of them crash, leaving Cara with a broken shoulder and Luke in a coma. Luke's ex-wife, who has remarried and has a new young family, calls their eldest child, son Edward who has been abroad and estranged for six years and he returns home.

An absolute fantastic read - I loved every page on this one - as good as my Sister's Keeper, so one of my favourites

Also on holiday I read YTracey Chavalier - Falling Angels (turned out to be a reread!!) and Gabrielle Kimm - The Courtesan's Lover

Now I am reading a new book also just released - Cathy Kelly - The House on Willow Street

51vUrHloIFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgWhen Daniel, a quiet 12-year-old boy, is found to have murdered his classmate, the job of defending him falls to provincial solicitor Leo Curtice. Curtice is open enough to understand that abused, neglected Daniel is a victim too. But he has a couple of fatal flaws: unfocused ambition and a naivety so chronic that he simply cannot foresee the impact of his actions on his wife and, especially, his teenage daughter, who suffers terrible bullying at school

Note to self.....add Lone Wolf to wishlist....sounds great Angel...thanks for thumbs up. :friends3:

You won't be disappointed - one of her better one IMHO

The Jodi Picoult is now on my wishlist and 'The Child Who' looks to be a brilliant read. I will keep my eye on what you think of it. :smile:

The Child Who was very thought provoking - I guess I had never considered the legal team who defended the 2 kids in the Jamie Bulger situation. (One good reason not to become a solicitor having to defend murderers.) However whilst reading this book, I found myself feeling slightly sorry for the kid who committed the murder as every one in his very short life let him down. A very good book which I would recommend Chrissy

Now reading Elizabeth Chadwick - to Defy a King