karen.d's Reading List 2012

karen.d

'The War of the World's By H.G Wells

Publisher: Feedbooks

Length: 182 Pages

Opening Line: 'No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.'

What's good about this novel?

What I really liked about this novel is the overall message that this novel is trying to convey. This novel is about the power that nature has over mankind and that we as humans, should respect it and not become too consumed by our own importance.

I also liked some of the descriptions of the landscapes the main character travelled through. The desolation and loneliness the character encounters, gave impact to the novel.

What's wrong with this novel?

I think the fundamental problem I had with this novel, was it's placing in time. Due to the fact that the accounts of the alien invasion were told in the past, I felt that this gave distance to the action and discouraged me as a reader from being drawn into the story.

Having listening to the Orson Welles radio adaptation of the novel, I feel that if the story had been presented in the present, this book would have worked a lot better. As it is, the straight commentary of events gave no immediacy or drama to the story.

Is this worth a read?

To be honest, I would recommend listening to the Orson Welles radio adaptation, rather than reading this novel. I feel that 'The War of the Worlds' has too many flaws, for me to enjoy it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson

Publisher: Feedbooks

Length: 80 Pages

Opening Line: 'Mr Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never liughted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.'

I like the idea of this novel. The fact that this novel is examining the multifaceted nature of human beings is interesting. Everyone has two sides to them, the good and evil and it's up to the individual to choose whether to repress or embrace the darker elements of their nature.

What's wrong about this novel?

I think that the promising idea of the story is delivered in a dull way. From the beginning, I didn't feel inspired to continued reading this story. However I was determined to persist with this novel, thinking that it would improve. For me, it didn't. The writing often waffled and I felt my interest wane throughout. Even though this novel is a mere 80 pages this novel dragged, I couldn't wait until I had reached the end.

Is this worth a read?

I don't think this was particularly worth a read. Maybe science fiction isn't my thing, but this and 'The War of the Worlds' was unable to capture my imagination. This is possibly worth a read however, to make your own mind up about it.

This week I have been ill with a cold; I never knew that it could wipe me out quite as much as it did. I'm a lot better than before, but still trying to shift this cold grr!

On the positive, being forced indoors for the best part of a week has given me some good reading time and I have completed 'The War of the Worlds' by H.G Wells and 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Now, I'm reading 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith. This is the May read for the 'Book Circle' and I'm enjoying the novel so far.

Although the previous 3 books seem to have nothing in common, it's interesting the way in which each of the novels is from a one person perspective, but for me, only Dodie Smith' I Capture the Castle' seems to be able to use the first person perspective sucessfully.

Here's a snippet of my latest read:

Page 47: ' Little did I think what the evening was to bring- something has actually happened to us!'

'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith

I have less than 100 pages until finishing 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith. Whilst I am enjoying this novel, my opinion of the characters has changed considerably in the last few chapters. I'm not sure whether the main character Cassandra is as innocent as she first appears. I think when characters change throughout a novel (whether from unpleasant to reformed or the other way around), this can create some interesting complexities within a novel. What do you think?

Here's a snippet:

Page 324: I shall never forget it- the thick carpet, the brocade-covered walls, the bright lights staring back from the gilt mirrors, everything was so luxurious- and so meaningless, so lifeless.'

'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith.

I'm coming to the end of 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins and I must say, that this is the best book for Young Adults I have ever read....even though I'm in my thirties. It's not always comfortable reading in fact, some elements are brutal; but the suspense and slick writing that Suzanne Collins uses, makes this novel compelling.

This afternoon, some friends of mine are off to see the film version of the novel and I have had to decline their invitation to see it just because I want to read the book, before I compare it with the film version. Have you seen the film? Did you enjoy it? If you have read the book, did the film live up to your expectations? Anyway, as soon as I finish 'The Hunger Games', not only am I going to watch the film, but rush out to buy the remaining books in this trilogy.

As I am nearing the end of this novel, there may be descriptions which give away important events within this book. So here's the first paragraph of the novel:

Page 3:' When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress.She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course she did. This is the day of the reaping.'

'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins

I have to agree with you - I've read some brilliant YA books, but this remains my absolute favourite, and a very rare re-read. There are mixed responses to the film.. the general impression I get is that it remains pretty much true to the book, but with a few things missing or changed with niggle. It does, however, feel a little rushed, showing how much depth the book has.

I have to agree with you - I've read some brilliant YA books, but this remains my absolute favourite, and a very rare re-read. There are mixed responses to the film.. the general impression I get is that it remains pretty much true to the book, but with a few things missing or changed with niggle. It does, however, feel a little rushed, showing how much depth the book has.

Have you read the rest of the trilogy? Did the other two books live up to the first? I'm really looking forward to the film now.

Yep - I loved the whole trilogy, although some say they're not so keen on the third.

I'm slightly worried that the following books in the trilogy are going to turn into a teen angst type of thing, like Team Edward/Team Jacob was in 'Twilight'. I will see what happens with the rest of the books, but will be disappointed if it does.

Ditto to everything Michelle said, I thought The Hunger Games was very mature for a YA read. I really enjoyed the film too, parts are rushed and I would have liked the games to be more details but it was always going to be difficult as the book was so detailed.

Ahh.. that's one of the things I really liked.. a nice lack of teen angst! ;)

There's a hint of it in the first book, I'm glad that it doesn't continue!

Ditto to everything Michelle said, I thought The Hunger Games was very mature for a YA read. I really enjoyed the film too, parts are rushed and I would have liked the games to be more details but it was always going to be difficult as the book was so detailed.

Do you think it should have been a YA book in the first place? Yes the book features children, but the content within it suggests a more mature audience. For me it certainly pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable content in a YA book.

'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith

Publisher: Random House

Length: 408 Pages

Opening Line: 'I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.'

I thought that the writing in this novel was very good. The descriptions of the castle and the surrounding landscape were beautiful and vivid. I felt that I was being transported to the tranquil peace of the countryside and, in the section where Cassandra travels to London, to the hustle and bustle of the city. I also liked the fact that this novel is written as diary entries. Not only does make the book more realistic, but it also draws the reader into the story.

The characters are well formed and believeable. I could identify with a few of the characters, they reminded me of people I know in real life. However, in the case of Topaz, there is a unique quality to her.

I found a few things difficult with this novel. The fact that Cassandra's sister Rose was marrying for money and believing in silly superstitions, perceived her as a weak character. In fact, I thought that this was a weak plot in the story. I also found it a little strange that Cassandra helps Rose, then suddenly changes her behaviour rather abruptly, to then pine over the man in question. I thought that this was a little feeble and in some parts, rather over dramatic.

Is this worth a read?

Yes I do think this is worth a read. The landscape depicted is beautiful and most of the characters, very well rounded. There are elements within the story which let this book down in my opinion, but overall this is a very good read.

'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic

Length: 454 Pages

Opening Line: 'When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.'

Being in my 30's I was a bit unsure whether or not I was going to enjoy this novel. However, something intrigued me enough to give this a go.

I thought that this novel is very well written. Suzanne Collins' writing has maturity and is able to convey a lot of information and back story of the characters, within losing the pace of the novel.

The characters in this are very believeable. I also liked the way that the main protagonist of this novel Katniss, is a strong female character, who doesn't pine over boys and is generally silly.

The story itself is rather disturbing at times, there is a lot of violence, but the suspense that's in this novel, meant that I couldn't put this book down. The ending leaves with a cliff hanger, that makes me really want to read the rest of this trilogy.

Due to the violent/mature nature of this novel, I'm unsure whether this should be for Young Adults at all. An adult could easily read this novel and still find it uncomfortable reading at times. On the other hand, it's refreshing to see a YA author not talk down or dumb down their work.

Is this worth a read?

I think that 'The Hunger Games' is worth a read. However if you're easily offended/disturbed, you maybe want to avoid this novel.

I feel a little deceived by 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. For anyone that doesn't know, the front cover looks like this:

thepassage.jpg

Looking at this I assumed that this is going to be rather dark and mysterious. Ok I have only read 82 pages of this, but so far I'm finding it be slow and mediocre. I will still keep reading this, but have you ever had certain expectations of a novel just by looking at the cover? Did the content within fulfill that expectation, or were you left disappointed?

Here's a 'snippet':

Page 82: 'In his office on L2, Richards was sitting at his terminal, his mind deep inside a game of free cell.'

'The Passage' by Justin Cronin.

Absolutely, keep going! There are some slow(er) sections, and you'll have your own favorite parts, but I loved the book. BTW, the cover I have is dark blue, with touches of gold on it, nothing like your posted cover. hmmmmm Haven't seen that one before. I have the sequel preordered already. :)

Keep going with it, it does change. :)

Having posted this I have since read on a little and you're right it is getting better

Absolutely, keep going! There are some slow(er) sections, and you'll have your own favorite parts, but I loved the book. BTW, the cover I have is dark blue, with touches of gold on it, nothing like your posted cover. hmmmmm Haven't seen that one before. I have the sequel preordered already. :)

Do you have the hardback or paperback version of this? I was luck enough to find the hardback version at a really cheap price when out shopping in a supermarket one day.

I have the hardback, bought it not too terribly long after it came out. I was not going to buy it, especially at Barnes & Noble prices, but husband knew I wanted it, and slipped it into the pile we bought that day. :blush2: Such a sweetie. Here is a link to amazon to show the cover. http://www.amazon.com/The-Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0345504968/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1336407022&sr=8-1 Is that the same as yours?

I have the hardback, bought it not too terribly long after it came out. I was not going to buy it, especially at Barnes & Noble prices, but husband knew I wanted it, and slipped it into the pile we bought that day. :blush2: Such a sweetie. Here is a link to amazon to show the cover. http://www.amazon.co...36407022&sr=8-1 Is that the same as yours?

That's really sweet! No my copy has a different cover. It's the one on one of the posts above this one.

ahhh, yes, of course. Amy it is supposed to be. That is a good cover, but not representative to my way of thinking. Even though Amy is very important, I like the dark trees, gives a creepy feel to the woods. It looks like the woods at the place "it began". Up north I mean.

I think image with the girl drew me into reading this novel. I had no idea of what this book was about, but the darkness and atmosphere that one image projects, made me want to find out more.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad that I have kept going with this because it has turned out a great read. I'm not saying that it has its flaws (some parts remind me of a family melodrama, but the part that I have come to is turning into the most gripping part. I hope that it doesn't build up, get to a really exciting, gripping part and then finish so that I have to wait for the next book, to find out what happens next!

'Sunday Snippet'

Apologises for not having done a 'Sunday Snippet' for a while. We have had visitors for the last month and so I have been very busy. I have had enough time to make progress with 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin and I'm glad that I have persisted with it.

I can't say that it is the best book that I have read, I find that it has peaks and troughs when it come to exciting storyline and dialogue, but it's turning out to be more interesting than I had anticipated. Whilst reading this novel, I have found myself wondering whether or not this book would translate better on screen rather on the page.

I don't do this with a lot of novels, in fact 99% of the time I think that film adaptations to books are never as good as it's original text. However with 'The Passage' I think the story/action would be better shown rather than told. What do you think? Have you ever seen a film adaptation of a novel, which was better than the original text?

Here's a 'snippet':

Page 497: 'The approached the station from the rear. Inside its fenced compund they detected no sign of movement. "You hear that?" Alicia said. Peter stopped to listen. "I don't hear anything." "That's because the fence if off."

'The Passage' by Justin Cronin

Edited by karen.d

I'm so glad that I have kept going with this because it has turned out a great read. I'm not saying that it has its flaws (some parts remind me of a family melodrama, but the part that I have come to is turning into the most gripping part. I hope that it doesn't build up, get to a really exciting, gripping part and then finish so that I have to wait for the next book, to find out what happens next!

Wellllll............me no say nuttin'. :crazy: All I can say is that it was good.