Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Frankie's reading in 2012 ~ memoirs

Your mind is something wondrous - to be able to present all those facts in so much detail and order! :flowers2:

Edited by bree

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great idea frankie. I'll be writing mine up around July when I've finished my reviews. I am hopeless at adding up so will probably just give Claire the job (I'll make it worth your while Claire .. coffee and cake suit you? )

I feel bad that you still have reviews from last year to write (or have you finished with them already? I haven't had the time to look at people's reading logs that much lately, I was visiting my parents last weekend and had a friend over this week) :empathy:   I know I was so annoyed when this year started and I still had some of last year's books to review, it was a real pain! I wonder if Claire could do the adding for you for real :D She noticed a mistake in my statistics, so I know she would make a great 'book keeper'! :yes:

I love the way that you named and shamed your poorest books frankie :D What have you got to say for yourself Welty, James, Cornwell and Nesbø? (Nesbø!?! :o I haven't started on him yet but I thought it was a sure thing that I would like him ... so many trumpets .. oh, now I'm having doubts .. Nesbø is sinking *waves hankie* :D)

'Named and shamed', what a great rhyme :D I didn't want to particularly shame any of the books/authors, but as I did it last year, I did it this year, too. I pretty much did the same thing I did last year so it was easy to figure out what to write.

Welty was very, very poor! But Nesbø... (It's a wonder Karsa Orlong hasn't come over in here for his rescue :giggle2:) I know the first book by him that was translated into English is the third (or maybe the fourth?) in the series, and I know Karsa would say there's a reason for why they didn't start the translating process from the first novel: because it just wasn't that good! Karsa and other folks on here have praised Nesbø's subsequent novels and I do trust their opinion so I'm going to keep going and read the other novels. I'm sure they are loads better than the first book! So have faith (and don't start with the first novel :D)!

Looks like you had a great 2012 frankie, and it's lovely to see how much pleasure you get from buying and reading and making all your bookie lists... Looks like I may have a few more books to add to my wish list! :)

It's a huge enjoyment :blush:  I take comfort in the fact that other people take pleasure in the very same things. I just love this forum. It's changed my reading a lot! If you take a look at my 2008 reading log, it's really pathetic in comparison to this year's! I've been so much influenced by the other members on here, and for that I'm very grateful!

Aaargh, can't get the quote function to work properly, but that Nikki Catsouras case is horrific! I haven't googled her name for fear of any images that will show up, as according to Wiki they are still out there. :hide:  It's very disturbing that these officers chose to distribute the pictures - one of them said they sent it to their personal email address for 'viewing at a later time'. Really???? I mean, REALLY? Ugh, the state of mind of some people are so disturbing. And the fact that some people chose to caption the pictures and send them to Nikki's parents!! :censored: I do wonder what is wrong with some people!

I never googled the pics before but I have to confess, I googled them after reading this post of yours. And yes, the pictures are there. It was very disturbing! :(  I can't even imagine what the family must've felt like :(

The officer(s) in question said that they were holding on to the pics so that they could email them forward to warn people about the dangers of drinking and driving, but it's kinda off because she hadn't been drinking (she might've used something else, though). But that's really honestly no excuse. It's so despicable and so unprofessional!

And to email the pics to the family... People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Some people have no heart.

There was a recent case (last year) where a woman was hit and killed by a lorry (I think here in England), and apparently within minutes pictures of her dismembered body were posted onto twitter. I don't think they ever named and shamed the culprits, which is unfortunate. :motz:  I think if people knew their actions would be made public it would make them think twice (unfortunately, their own moral conscience isn't deterrent enough!).

I think that would be a very good thing, that people investigated who put the pictures on the web and would make their names and even faces appear in public. Anything to stop people being so incredibly thoughtless, cruel and stupid!!!

What a beautiful review frankie :friends0:

I've only read Tolkien and the Potter books - and you make me what to read this one.

Thank you frankie - and thank you Karsa for getting her to read this - which led to this brilliant review.

Thank you, bree! I still feel I didn't do the book justice, though. Karsa has written a much better review on the book. If you ever get a copy of it and read the book, I really hope you like it, and I would love to know what you think of it :smile2:

Your mind is something wondrous - to be able to present all those facts in so much detail and order! :flowers2:

Thanks :smile2: I confess I think it's the influence of the forum: I think a lot more about what I read etc. This place rules! :friends3:

What a great idea frankie :) I'll be writing mine up around July when I've finished my reviews :blush2: I am hopeless at adding up so will probably just give Claire the job (I'll make it worth your while Claire .. coffee and cake suit you? :smile:)

I feel bad that you still have reviews from last year to write (or have you finished with them already? I haven't had the time to look at people's reading logs that much lately, I was visiting my parents last weekend and had a friend over this week) :empathy:   I know I was so annoyed when this year started and I still had some of last year's books to review, it was a real pain! I wonder if Claire could do the adding for you for real :D She noticed a mistake in my statistics, so I know she would make a great 'book keeper'! :yes:

I missed your original commment, Kay, but of course I'll do it, even without the coffee and cake bribe (although I'm not gonna turn it down if it's on offer :D). Leave it to me! :smile2: