Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Yes, this can be a problem. However, if you order lots and lots of books at once (preferably including some thicker/taller books), there is a slight chance they will actually post some of them together in a cardboard box. Gotta buy lots though... ;)

Don't encourage me to buy more books, Kylie! :lol:

I've ordered three or four books in one go from them and they've all arrived separately - I guess it depends on the overall postage costs.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you've only just discovered it after my endless ravings about it! *pouts because Frankie doesn't listen to Kylie*

I would tell you again about Better World Books, but you won't listen. :(

:haha: I swear, I would've listened to you (!!) IF I hadn't thought that they wouldn't accept my credit card because playeffingcom doesn't. I'm very sorry Kylie that's it taken me so long to be convinced otherwise. I hope I will be able to make amends with the pacet you'll be receiving them in a few weeks' time :giggle: Okay? :flowers2:

Oh. Hm. Maybe I did get the books from Better World Books instead of BookDepo. So Karsa, I take back what I said about the BookDepo cardboard packages!!

Yes, this can be a problem. However, if you order lots and lots of books at once (preferably including some thicker/taller books), there is a slight chance they will actually post some of them together in a cardboard box. Gotta buy lots though... ;)

Oh crap. Are you telling me they're gonna manhandle your parcel :o:motz:

One thing I find annoying about BookDepo is that they take a long time to deliver. I mean, we're not that far away from the UK. C'mon Royal Mail!!

How long does it take to deliver to Finland? And are you taking an estimated delivery time off their website? I would imagine books should get to you very quickly. I rarely have to wait more than a week for my parcels and we're about as far away as we can get! That's one of the things I love most. The postage is free and extraordinarily fast. But apparently I'm preaching to the (finally) converted now. :)

Don't encourage me to buy more books, Kylie! :lol:

I've ordered three or four books in one go from them and they've all arrived separately - I guess it depends on the overall postage costs.

Mwahaha! I think at most I've ordered around 20 books in one go, and maybe four or five arrived together, so it's really hit and miss. I have no idea how they work it out. Usually I will receive 3 or 4 separate packages in one day.

:haha: I swear, I would've listened to you (!!) IF I hadn't thought that they wouldn't accept my credit card because playeffingcom doesn't. I'm very sorry Kylie that's it taken me so long to be convinced otherwise. I hope I will be able to make amends with the pacet you'll be receiving them in a few weeks' time :giggle: Okay? :flowers2:

Hmph! Well, OK then. Apology accepted! *mwah*

Oh. Hm. Maybe I did get the books from Better World Books instead of BookDepo. So Karsa, I take back what I said about the BookDepo cardboard packages!!

One was from the BD and one was from BWB. In my experience, BWB always sends books in cardboard boxes but the BD usually doesn't, unless it's a big book or a hardcover.

Oh crap. Are you telling me they're gonna manhandle your parcel :o:motz:

Nah, my books have only ever been damaged when my postie squished them into my letterbox. It's because of that postie and the BD that my ex gave me the PO box. I don't think any of my books have been damaged since they've been delivered there. :)

How long does it take to deliver to Finland? And are you taking an estimated delivery time off their website? I would imagine books should get to you very quickly. I rarely have to wait more than a week for my parcels and we're about as far away as we can get! That's one of the things I love most. The postage is free and extraordinarily fast. But apparently I'm preaching to the (finally) converted now. :)

Well, now that you know you're going to get a packet from them, I might as well enclose the details. It says despatched in 72 hours, right? And delivery both to Australia and Finland 7-10 workdays. I mean come on!! We're only a teeny tiny sea away, and Norway and Sweden are in the way too but they are thin countries! They stretch out the other way. So how is it that it takes as long to deliver to Finland as to Australia?? I mean c'mon!!

However: Are you still talking BookDepo? How can you receive them in a week or so if they said 7-10 days? I'm all confused now. I'm starting to hate BookDepo. I don't like to be confused.

Hmph! Well, OK then. Apology accepted! *mwah*

Phew! I cannot stand the wrath of The Tough Broad!

One was from the BD and one was from BWB. In my experience, BWB always sends books in cardboard boxes but the BD usually doesn't, unless it's a big book or a hardcover.

I'm pretty positive they were both in a cardboard box, but I suppose they were what you would call big books. Yep.

Nah, my books have only ever been damaged when my postie squished them into my letterbox. It's because of that postie and the BD that my ex gave me the PO box. I don't think any of my books have been damaged since they've been delivered there. :)

Ah, thank goodness! :) I'm relieved. Have you any idea what it might be? Hehe! I guess I shouldn't ask. So you won't start thinking about it too much. And getting it right. Because you've been a totally guessing machine today :haha:

Well, now that you know you're going to get a packet from them, I might as well enclose the details. It says despatched in 72 hours, right? And delivery both to Australia and Finland 7-10 workdays. I mean come on!! We're only a teeny tiny sea away, and Norway and Sweden are in the way too but they are thin countries! They stretch out the other way. So how is it that it takes as long to deliver to Finland as to Australia?? I mean c'mon!!

However: Are you still talking BookDepo? How can you receive them in a week or so if they said 7-10 days? I'm all confused now. I'm starting to hate BookDepo. I don't like to be confused.

Nooo, don't hate! After you've ordered from them a few times, which I'm sure you will, you'll get a better idea of how long it takes to deliver to you. They probably overestimate delivery times so people won't start contacting them too early if they haven't received their books. I would say delivery to Australia is usually around 5-10 business days, so I guess they're not too far off. 10 days at the outside though.

But surely they would deliver to Finland in less than 5 business days?

Phew! I cannot stand the wrath of The Tough Broad!

Who? Little ol' me? *makes herself look as demure and innocent as possible*

I'm pretty positive they were both in a cardboard box, but I suppose they were what you would call big books. Yep.

Yep, I can believe they were both in boxes. I'm not certain, but I think the Mencken I once ordered from the BD arrived in a box as well. I always breathe a little easier when I see a cardboard box rather than the padded envelope. It's a long way for a poor little book to travel with not much protection between him/it and the uncaring hands of everyone who passes it along! Poor little blighters...

Ah, thank goodness! :) I'm relieved. Have you any idea what it might be? Hehe! I guess I shouldn't ask. So you won't start thinking about it too much. And getting it right. Because you've been a totally guessing machine today :haha:

I have no idea! And you're right, I don't want to start thinking about it in case I guess it. Because you know I'm always right. ;)

Nooo, don't hate! After you've ordered from them a few times, which I'm sure you will, you'll get a better idea of how long it takes to deliver to you. They probably overestimate delivery times so people won't start contacting them too early if they haven't received their books. I would say delivery to Australia is usually around 5-10 business days, so I guess they're not too far off. 10 days at the outside though.

Oh, you are sure I'll be ordering from them a few times? What makes you think so!

:giggle:

Yes, I suppose it's nicer for them to overestimate and have people pleasantly surprised.

But surely they would deliver to Finland in less than 5 business days?

Well, they had the same estimated time for both Finland and Australia, is all I can say. But now that you've said you usually receive your packages way earlier than estimated, maybe I will too. We can compare! Oh no wait, I didn't order anything for me yet. Oh heck. Maybe I'll have to order something now, someday, just so we can compare notes...

Who? Little ol' me? *makes herself look as demure and innocent as possible*

Yes, little ole you!

Yep, I can believe they were both in boxes. I'm not certain, but I think the Mencken I once ordered from the BD arrived in a box as well. I always breathe a little easier when I see a cardboard box rather than the padded envelope. It's a long way for a poor little book to travel with not much protection between him/it and the uncaring hands of everyone who passes it along! Poor little blighters...

For some reason I've never minded the padded envelopes. I actually like them better than the cardboard boxes, because the cardboard boxes are always huge and I have to get them from the post office, whereas the padded envelopes usually fit in my post box and they've been in fine shape, I've never had any problems. And I can feel the book inside and imagine it's size. Can't do that with a cardboard box!

I have no idea! And you're right, I don't want to start thinking about it in case I guess it. Because you know I'm always right. ;)

Haha, you're right about that, you're always right! I shouldn't say any more on the subject. But I can't help but be curious. Well, we'll see in 2 weeks or so! :)

Hi Frankie

Alright, I'm too curious. Who is the guy on your avatar ?

Oh, no worries, I'm glad you asked! :) It's Kevin, from The Office (US). He's one of my favorite characters, and it's one of my most fave shows :)

Well, they had the same estimated time for both Finland and Australia, is all I can say. But now that you've said you usually receive your packages way earlier than estimated, maybe I will too. We can compare! Oh no wait, I didn't order anything for me yet. Oh heck. Maybe I'll have to order something now, someday, just so we can compare notes....

Okay, well I remembered I still needed to order my copy of Coffee at Luke's so went over to BookDepo and searched for a copy. And yay, they had one, and I saved 3e by ordering it from BookDepo instead of Adlibris!

So now the BookDepo AUS/FIN is on! Bring it! :cool:

Okay, now I seriously need to log out from said website.

Frankie

Thanks for the info on your avatar. I know the show is VERY popular here, but we have never watched it . Some shows seem like they may be geared towards a younger age of people ,so I don't watch most of them. I have a few favorite shows,but some nights we don't even turn the tv on,depending on what is on .

The only CLIP I saw from The Office is the one with the wedding . I'm sure you guys have seen the wedding video that the couple from over here made of their own wedding. I can't remember what state they are from,but their wedding entrance was all the wedding party dancing down the aisles ? I have watched it a GAZILLION times . I love watching it because you can see the joy in their faces,and we were happy like that too on our wedding day.

I keep wishing we would have screwed up the courage to dance down the aisle . We were 19 ,and neither set of parents were FOR the marriage . It wasn't a HAVE to marriage,so that wasn;'t the problem .

I think it was our age .My mother has a famous saying that you 'd be smarter going to your own funeral than getting married. She is notorious for saying it every time we hear people driving through town beeping their horns ofter their wedding. I have never understood why she is so against marriage. My dad has spent his lifetime trying to make her happy,but she never is satisfied .

My dad would have been fine with us getting married if we had been older. He BEGGED me to put it off 4 years and he'd pay my way through college. At the time, I was burnt out on school and didnt want to go on ,but now I wish I would have, only because you only get that chance once and after it's gone, it's too late.

We would have still married but not as soon .

Anyhow, our wedding pictures are hilarious ,with our parents. My mother in law looks like a pouting little kid ,my mom looks like General Patton ready for battle,and the 2 dads kinda look shell-shocked, like they are trying to figure out a way to keep the 2 moms from having a Smackdown out in the church yard .

F U N N Y

My mom told me our marriage would never last.

I think she's right.

We've been married almost 35 years,so one of these days, it might just crumble .

It's just taking a REALLY long time. :)

Edited by julie

One thing and one thing only, why on earth are you all encouraging Frankie to order from this new website of hers, it'll spell trouble! :lol:

I'm kidding, I could never actually discourage you from buying books Frankie, you know that. :friends3:

For some reason I've never minded the padded envelopes. I actually like them better than the cardboard boxes, because the cardboard boxes are always huge and I have to get them from the post office, whereas the padded envelopes usually fit in my post box and they've been in fine shape, I've never had any problems. And I can feel the book inside and imagine it's size. Can't do that with a cardboard box!

But padded envelopes don't necessarily leave much to the imagination, whereas boxes can hide anything, therefore making the guessing game much more exciting (in my opinion). ;) I love guessing either way. :)

Haha, you're right about that, you're always right! I shouldn't say any more on the subject. But I can't help but be curious. Well, we'll see in 2 weeks or so!

I love it when people tell me I'm right. :D

Okay, well I remembered I still needed to order my copy of Coffee at Luke's so went over to BookDepo and searched for a copy. And yay, they had one, and I saved 3e by ordering it from BookDepo instead of Adlibris!

So now the BookDepo AUS/FIN is on! Bring it! :cool:

Woohoo!

Frankie

Thanks for the info on your avatar. I know the show is VERY popular here, but we have never watched it . Some shows seem like they may be geared towards a younger age of people ,so I don't watch most of them. I have a few favorite shows,but some nights we don't even turn the tv on,depending on what is on .

The only CLIP I saw from The Office is the one with the wedding . I'm sure you guys have seen the wedding video that the couple from over here made of their own wedding. I can't remember what state they are from,but their wedding entrance was all the wedding party dancing down the aisles ? I have watched it a GAZILLION times . I love watching it because you can see the joy in their faces,and we were happy like that too on our wedding day.

I keep wishing we would have screwed up the courage to dance down the aisle . We were 19 ,and neither set of parents were FOR the marriage . It wasn't a HAVE to marriage,so that wasn;'t the problem .

I think it was our age .My mother has a famous saying that you 'd be smarter going to your own funeral than getting married. She is notorious for saying it every time we hear people driving through town beeping their horns ofter their wedding. I have never understood why she is so against marriage. My dad has spent his lifetime trying to make her happy,but she never is satisfied .

My dad would have been fine with us getting married if we had been older. He BEGGED me to put it off 4 years and he'd pay my way through college. At the time, I was burnt out on school and didnt want to go on ,but now I wish I would have, only because you only get that chance once and after it's gone, it's too late.

We would have still married but not as soon .

Anyhow, our wedding pictures are hilarious ,with our parents. My mother in law looks like a pouting little kid ,my mom looks like General Patton ready for battle,and the 2 dads kinda look shell-shocked, like they are trying to figure out a way to keep the 2 moms from having a Smackdown out in the church yard .

F U N N Y

My mom told me our marriage would never last.

I think she's right.

We've been married almost 35 years,so one of these days, it might just crumble .

It's just taking a REALLY long time. :)

Awww what a sad but sweet story .. your mum is probably crabby because for 35 years now you've been proving her wrong .. yay .. keep going for another 35 years .. that'll put a smile on her face :D My mother-in-law had a long face at my wedding, there were a zillion reasons for it but she could've cracked a smile once. There's a spoof video (a T mobile ad) of (royal) Kate, William & Harry etc dancing down the aisle. Apparently some people thought it was real :D .. link to video

I couldn't do it, the cringe gland would kick in .. anyway people would laugh at me not with me :o

I'm encouraging Frankie because she is always egging me on! I want her to buy more books than me for once!

Impossible .. it can't be done :D

Julie, yes I've seen the wedding video of the dancing down the aisle, I get so happy and a bit teary-eyed when I watch it :smile2:

But hey, you could renew your vows, right? You could invite your parents and the lot, and dance down the aisle, and then you could mischieviously wink at your Mum when the priest talks about the marriage lasting for a lifetime, in ups and downs. Oh I'm a bit cruel, am I not? :blush: But I think it's just really childish to come to one's own daughter's / son's wedding, with a sour plant one one's face as an expression. I'd love to use the Finnish phrase for that in here, but it might be too much for some of you people, it's a really naughty expression. And to say that one'd be smarter going to one's own funeral than getting married, that's just really sad. :(

Anyway, keep up the way you're going, if not to show the doubters wrong (sounds like they'll never admit to being wrong), then because it seems to suit you just fine :friends3:

One thing and one thing only, why on earth are you all encouraging Frankie to order from this new website of hers, it'll spell trouble!

I'm kidding, I could never actually discourage you from buying books Frankie, you know that. :friends3:

They are not being very nice, are they? Thank you for defending me, Ben!

I'm encouraging Frankie because she is always egging me on! I want her to buy more books than me for once!

No I am not. Only once or twice have I suggested you might like a book or another. I swear!

But padded envelopes don't necessarily leave much to the imagination, whereas boxes can hide anything, therefore making the guessing game much more exciting (in my opinion). ;) I love guessing either way. :)

Yeah but the boxes give away nothing, so you can only go by, oh, everything in the world that would fit in the box. That's too imaginative for me!

I love it when people tell me I'm right. :D

I knew this would come back and bite me in the ass.

Impossible .. it can't be done :D

Oh, but have you seen her 'Books Acquired' list this year? Go and take a look. You won't believe it. You'll have a nervous fit and Alan will have to take care of you.

Edited by frankie

Poppy

I have no clue how to dance. Never have in my life,so I'm sure I would have gotten LOTS of chuckles,but luckily(or stupidly), that type stuff never bothers me . I'm quite comfortable in front of people ,any sized group,so it really wouldn't bother me if I looked stupid. It would have been kinda funny I think .

Thank you for the video,it was SO cute ! Can you tell me if they have announced what Kate's baby will be,or do they not tell ahead of time ?

Frankie

Let's just say at this point, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie . The renewal of the vows would be a HUGE disaster unless we were the only attendees,which would be pointless. Why not just stay home, eat a big bowl of ice cream while watching Biggest Loser ,and save money on a big shindig that no one would come to ?

To make it short , let's just say that the parent situation was better then than now,so it's best to leave it alone.

If I wrote a book about my life,people would think I am lying my behind off,because that many bad things cannot happen in one family. I know one that it did happen in . SO, I try my hardest to look forward instead of back .

Yes, a two bedroom place. That's what you should do. Mmm'm :yes::giggle:

And I have no idea why anyone would lick a book. Poppyshake and Kylie have been talking about it. It came up once when they were talking about licking books so other wouldn't buy them (?), but still, that doesn't make any sense. I guess the British and the Australian aren't known for their fine palates :P I would only lick, like, chocolate, chips, cake, cookies... (wow, it's rather obvious I'm craving after anything with any kind of non-healthy ingredients, having been on a diet for (only!!) 5 days... :o:blush2::giggle2: )

Don't lick the Kindle! Especially when you're charging it's batteries. You might get a jolt. Unless you like getting a kick out of ... licking objects. Hmmm. Interesting!

It would indeed, just to break the news to BF that he cannot have it as a gaming room, its my book room hehe :P

I wouldnt like to lick a book really, I get quite a few second hand, so imagining where they have been is quite disturbing though! each to their own I suppose hehe. (BTW good luck with your diet :D )

I don't think id lick the kindle though, it would leave funny marks on the screen and then id have to clean it and probably drop it in the sink or something . . . then I would be sad!

happy reading :)

I have no clue how to dance. Never have in my life,so I'm sure I would have gotten LOTS of chuckles,but luckily(or stupidly), that type stuff never bothers me . I'm quite comfortable in front of people ,any sized group,so it really wouldn't bother me if I looked stupid. It would have been kinda funny I think .

I wish I'd be as comfortable with myself, in front of other people, as you are! :)

Let's just say at this point, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie . The renewal of the vows would be a HUGE disaster unless we were the only attendees,which would be pointless. Why not just stay home, eat a big bowl of ice cream while watching Biggest Loser ,and save money on a big shindig that no one would come to ?

To make it short , let's just say that the parent situation was better then than now,so it's best to leave it alone.

If I wrote a book about my life,people would think I am lying my behind off,because that many bad things cannot happen in one family. I know one that it did happen in . SO, I try my hardest to look forward instead of back .

You are right, it's best to let the past go and look forward instead. I like your attitude :) And I wasn't very serious when I suggested that you go and do something like that, but I'm sorry if even the idea upset you in any way, that was not the meaning at all! :friends0: I have a tendency to sometimes speak first and think second. :blush2:

It would indeed, just to break the news to BF that he cannot have it as a gaming room, its my book room hehe :P

Haha! You could say that, just for fun, someday :D

I wouldnt like to lick a book really, I get quite a few second hand, so imagining where they have been is quite disturbing though! each to their own I suppose hehe. (BTW good luck with your diet :D )

But would you lick them if you found a juicy balony sandwich in between the pages? It might be yummy!

Surely I didn't! I only implied that you are very athletic and like to streeeeeeetch the truth and that at the same time you are very artistic and like to color the truth a bit to immerge in a pleasanter light.

A liar vs. an athlete and an artist? Take your pick.

:D