Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Jane Austen: Persuasion (I had to get an English copy, finally!)

John Banville: The Sea (wohoo! in English)

Yay for finding so many books in English! Have you read Banville before? I think The Sea was a bit unpopular with some people here, but I still have high hopes for it. It's also on the 1001 list, isn't it?

All the English paperbacks were 1e (except for the Wilde book, that was 2e)! It was amazing. My eyes kept going through the shelves and picking out books and I couldn't wait to look through more titles and I couldn't keep up with my eyes and hands, LOL!

I've never read Banville before, but I did borrow the book once from the library, I think after reading a positive review about it on here. Didn't read it the, though. And I think you offered me a copy of The Sea when I was in Australia? Didn't have the space/kilos to take it with me though :blush2: It's on the 1001 list so that's great as well :)

Djuna Barnes: Smoke and Other Early Stories (this author was mentioned in some book about books and authors, the name rang a bell so had to buy it, it was cheap)

I don't recall hearing of this author before, but any book about books and authors is bound to be good!

I think it's when I was reading somewhere about Virginia Woolf, and then I talked about her with willoyd and poppyshake, and poppyshake mentioned Louise deSalvo's books on her, and in one of those books Djuna Barnes is also covered. What a weird name, Djuna. Sounds Scandinavian in a way. I have no idea what she's like. =)

J. M. Barrie: Peter Pan (have never read it, and I think it's one of those one should read at some point)

I read an ebook of Peter Pan a few years back and recently bought myself a 'real' copy because I loved it so much. It really is very good. :)

That's good to hear, I hope it's good, although I've never wanted to watch a movie of Peter Pan and I've never 'liked' him for some reason. I hope the book will prove me wrong =)

John Boyne: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (love the book, had to get my own copy, was hella cheap)

John Boyne: Mutiny on the Bounty (wohoo! more Boyne for me and hella cheap)

Ah, Boyne! I've been curious about Mutiny on the Bounty for a while. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. :)

Boyne <3 After I read Crippen I thought to myself, I want to read anything by Boyne. And I haven't investigated yet, but this might be a sort of a fictionalized true story. I know there's a non-fiction book by the same title, don't remember the authors. I hope it's a tale based on a true story. I was so happy to find a copy! When I arrived in Helsinki and was supposed to go to friend's first to get my bags there and then do whatever, I couldn't resist walking straight to the biggest bookstore, Akateeminen Kirjakauppa, with all my bags, and I was going through their amazing English book section, and Mutiny on the Bounty was actually a title I almost bought. Good thing I didn't, I saved 10e!

Gerald Clarke: Capote - A Biography (wohoo! I've wanted to read a bio about him for a while now, I was happy to find a copy)

Awesome! I think I'll have to add this to my wish list. Gerald Clarke wrote the biography on Judy Garland that I bought recently, and I think it's a highly regarded biography, so I have a feeling the Capote one will be excellent as well.

I also have a feeling this should be great. It's big and beautiful! =)

Richard Ellmann: Oscar Wilde (more bios!)

Nice! I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. Wilde is someone I'd like to read about in the future.

I've never really thought about buying his bio or anything, but when I found this copy for 2e, I just had to get it. I cannot wait to read it =)

Ritva Haavikko (ed.): Mika Waltari - Kirjailijan muistelmia (a famous Finnish author. I've seen this copy of his memoirs in various secondhand bookshops and I've craved after it, but the copies have always been really expensive, ranging from 10 to 20e. This one was for 2e!!! It was a steal!)

Aw, it's always so great to find a book you really want for such a cheap price!

I know, I'm so pleased I found it! I almost didn't take it off the shelf and look at the price because I thought it must be well over 10e and I couldn't buy it. I almost shrieked when I saw that price tag :D

Ernest Hemingway: By-Line (wohoo for Hemingway!)

Ooh, what's this about? Is it non-fiction? I'm intrigued.

I haven't taken a good look at it yet, but the front cover says 'Selected articles and despatches recording the adventure that was his life, the events from which he fashioned his masterpieces'. Ought to be great, right?!

Jack Kerouac: Maggie Cassidy (wohoooo! hella cheap too)

Woohoo for Kerouac! I've got it on my TBR pile too.

And it's a beautiful Penguin Classics copy as well. I love it!

Ernest Hemingway: To Have and Have Not (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Jeff Lindsay: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (English copy to replace my Finnish copy)

Awesome! So you're going to get rid of your Finnish copies, or will you keep them both?

I'm going to give someone the Dexter copy because now that I have the English copy, I don't need the English one. I'm not so sure about the Hemingway though, because I loved the Finnish translation of The Sun Also Rises. I'll have to see if the translator is the same, then I might keep the Finnish copy as well =)

Edgar Allan Poe: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (a beautiful used paperback, only 1e!!!)

Fantastic! I love Poe so much. His writing is just awesome.

I've never read Poe, but I've been wanting to buy this book for ages! However, I can only find Finnish copies at the bookstores and they are 10e at their cheapest. This was in English and only 1e :giggle2:

Thomas de Quincey: Confessions of an English Opium-Eater (interesting!)

Yes, I reckon this will be interesting too. I think this is also on the 1001 list?

I thought it would be, or at least on 501, but it's not. Weird!

Kauko Röyhkä: Kaksi aurinkoa (one of my most favorite Finnish novels, I've been looking for a cheap copy of this for years and years!!!)

Pentti Saarikoski: Nuoruuden päiväkirjat (the early diaries of a great Finnish author, poet, and translator)

Two more great finds! You're on a roll!

I was so happy about these. I've never read Saarikoski's fictional novels (I don't even know if he wrote any) but I've read one of his later diaries and it was great. I'm a happy bunny!

Virginia Woolf: Moments of Being (wohoo for Woolf!)

Yay! I bought this recently too. Is it in English or Finnish?

It's in English. All the books by English authors were English copies, like I said in my previous post, which you were probably too giddy to read carefully through :D

All these books apart from Capote and Pentti Saarikoski were really cheap. About 2/3 of the English titles were only for 1e, which is amazing. I found this great secondhand bookshop where I got like 8 books for 12e. And all the English novels were in English, no Finnish translations, which I'm particularly happy about. A great, great haul!

I hope I get to visit that bookshop one day. It sounds truly awesome.

You will! I'm make sure we visit it.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, that number is increasing every minute! I'm sure I read somewhere else that you blamed me for 150 or something. I would sensibly estimate it at around one dozen.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

:giggle:

I found some interesting links today. I know you're not big on ebooks (neither am I), but I found quite a few of Mencken's works available to read/download online. I know I've sent you a Project Gutenberg link before, but here's The American Language there are a couple of others that I'll send you.

Thanks for the link Kylie! But ebooks really do my head in. I mean I guess I would manage to read a book on an eReader but I really dislike reading a book on a website. I always feel like I should go and buy a fricking printer and print the whole thing. Which would of course be very impractical. I'd have to go and get the whole thing put into a book. Get nice covers for it and have it bound. The American Language book is the one I've borrowed from the uni library :)

No deal.

You're a tough broad!!

I'm glad you asked for help. Not that I have all the answers, but I was itching to try answering them! But it's your thread and the questions were directed to you so I kept my big mouth shout.

I knew you were itching to have your say, in fact I was surprised that you just didn't go and answer voddy's questions right then and there, without my asking for help :D I wouldn't have minded if you did, you know that! :friends3: Not at all. Especially because you have more knowledge of the subject.

I think some people probably took that list and expanded it as they noticed other books on the show, but maybe some people started from scratch. There is a big thread somewhere on the internet (similar to our forum threads here) where a lot of people were contributing books in order to make a complete list. These lists are no longer just restricted to Rory's reading. They tend to include books that all the other characters read (none read as much as Rory though!)

Yep! I don't mind reading books that Emily or Richard read, but the last time I was watching the show I noticed that Sookie was reading those Sue Grafton novels that I'm not at all keen on. Bloody rubbish :( And I'm not sure if I should just skip those. I've never read Grafton but I have a feeling I haven't missed anything.

¨

The show's creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino, is very intelligent and that's where all the pop culture references come from. She wrote the show as well, so she would have chosen all of Rory's books. I sometimes wonder if Alexis' reading tastes are similar to Rory's.

I know she reads but I've no idea what kinds of books she likes to read. I'd love to know!

She also actually hates coffee (good girl!) and she is drinking coke in all those coffee scenes.

This I knew but had forgotten. This tarnishes her image and my esteem for her.

I havent actually included them all in my TBR list, I've got about 100 or so on there, but I'm going to go through the boxes again this year. I've had to leave a lot of them boxed up because I don't have the room for them!

I was wondering about whether you have all of them down already. How have you managed not listing and cataloguing them already, I cannot imagine :D I'm sure you could squeeze them all in somewhere. Who needs a desk, a telly, or the kitchen. Just start piling the books on the floor and go from there :giggle2:

Happy reading for 2012 hun, hope you have a brilliant year with no loss of mojo

Thank you Charm, I hope you have a great reading year too :friends3:

*twiddles thumbs while waiting impatiently for Frankie to list her new books*

God you are being impatient! Hold your horses. Besides, I already listed them!!

Wish you a very good reading year

Thanks lopeanha, I wish you a fanciful reading year too :friends3:

Thanks for the link Kylie! But ebooks really do my head in. I mean I guess I would manage to read a book on an eReader but I really dislike reading a book on a website. I always feel like I should go and buy a fricking printer and print the whole thing. Which would of course be very impractical. I'd have to go and get the whole thing put into a book. Get nice covers for it and have it bound. The American Language book is the one I've borrowed from the uni library :)

I was of the same opinion with ebooks as you were but I have to say that it is quite different to reading things off of a computer screen. I found that I quite quickly forgot that I was reading an ebook. I still can't move away from paper books completely though, I find the price for new releases is far too high for what you are getting. Also, paper books look great and are very easy to lend to people and don't need charging up. :D

I was wondering about whether you have all of them down already. How have you managed not listing and cataloguing them already, I cannot imagine :D I'm sure you could squeeze them all in somewhere. Who needs a desk, a telly, or the kitchen. Just start piling the books on the floor and go from there :giggle2:

I have a whole spreadsheet of them on my netbook hehe I couldnt resist it. :giggle2: I did have all the boxes in my bedroom, but when I couldnt actually open any wardrobes or move so I had to move them down to the garage :(

I was of the same opinion with ebooks as you were but I have to say that it is quite different to reading things off of a computer screen. I found that I quite quickly forgot that I was reading an ebook. I still can't move away from paper books completely though, I find the price for new releases is far too high for what you are getting. Also, paper books look great and are very easy to lend to people and don't need charging up. :D

I know I wouldn't have such a big problem reading books on a Kindle, but that just goes against the grain in other ways, for me. I like the feel of books, I love looking at their covers, I like having books on my shelves... :) But Kindle would definitely beat reading off of a computer screen, that's for sure!

I think I might go for a Kindle if I travelled more and needed to pack lightly, but as this is not the case with me at the moment, I'm very happy with my manual books :D

I have a whole spreadsheet of them on my netbook hehe I couldnt resist it. :giggle2: I did have all the boxes in my bedroom, but when I couldnt actually open any wardrobes or move so I had to move them down to the garage :(

I knew it, I knew you couldn't resist :D Do you really need the wardrobes? Maybe you could tear them apart and put up some bookcases instead :giggle:

Sorry Frankie I didn't realise you had been back and you and Kylie had answered some of my questions about Rory Gilmore. Thanks!

Hehe, no worries, and you're welcome :)

I've finally come up with a New Year's Resolution. I shall not buy any more translations. I will only buy original copies in English. Only books by Finnish authors can be bought in Finnish.

^This came to me when I was rearranging my bookshelves yesterday and I was utterly frustrated when I kept comparing the beautiful English copies to the very bland and ugly Finnish copies. Bleh!

This will definitely also help me to NOT buy so many books this year. There!

I knew it, I knew you couldn't resist :D Do you really need the wardrobes? Maybe you could tear them apart and put up some bookcases instead :giggle:

hehe you caught me out! Maybe I could remove my desk out of my room and then somehow replace that with a desk made up of the books? that might work? I only have one teeny tiny wardrobe in my room and I have to many clothes for that as it is!

or I could just move out and turn the spare room into a library? hehe

hehe you caught me out! Maybe I could remove my desk out of my room and then somehow replace that with a desk made up of the books? that might work? I only have one teeny tiny wardrobe in my room and I have to many clothes for that as it is!

or I could just move out and turn the spare room into a library? hehe

I like your idea of a desk made up of the books :D Although I'm having a hard time figuring out how the drawers in the desk would work. One would have to be really careful.

Yes I suppose the most reasonable idea is to move out and keep your books in your current loft. Although, that has some serious downfalls as well. When you are in your new apartment, what if you feel all lonely, in the middle of the night, and want to cuddle with some books and perhaps lick them (don't look at me, all confused, that's what poppyshake and Kylie do!!), and you wouldn't have your library around you? Maybe you could look into the apartments in your building. Any people moving out, preferable the next door neighbor? :giggle:

I like your idea of a desk made up of the books :D Although I'm having a hard time figuring out how the drawers in the desk would work. One would have to be really careful.

Yes I suppose the most reasonable idea is to move out and keep your books in your current loft. Although, that has some serious downfalls as well. When you are in your new apartment, what if you feel all lonely, in the middle of the night, and want to cuddle with some books and perhaps lick them (don't look at me, all confused, that's what poppyshake and Kylie do!!), and you wouldn't have your library around you? Maybe you could look into the apartments in your building. Any people moving out, preferable the next door neighbor? :giggle:

I think I need to move out properly into a two bedroom place and turn the second bedroom of the new place into a library? maybe that would work better. Lick a book? I've never gone that far, although I may be licking my kindle before long hehe! That could be a better idea because I might miss my books a lot hehe :)

I think I need to move out properly into a two bedroom place and turn the second bedroom of the new place into a library? maybe that would work better. Lick a book? I've never gone that far, although I may be licking my kindle before long hehe! That could be a better idea because I might miss my books a lot hehe :)

Yes, a two bedroom place. That's what you should do. Mmm'm :yes::giggle:

And I have no idea why anyone would lick a book. Poppyshake and Kylie have been talking about it. It came up once when they were talking about licking books so other wouldn't buy them (?), but still, that doesn't make any sense. I guess the British and the Australian aren't known for their fine palates :P I would only lick, like, chocolate, chips, cake, cookies... (wow, it's rather obvious I'm craving after anything with any kind of non-healthy ingredients, having been on a diet for (only!!) 5 days... :o:blush2::giggle2: )

Don't lick the Kindle! Especially when you're charging it's batteries. You might get a jolt. Unless you like getting a kick out of ... licking objects. Hmmm. Interesting!

^ See?? I knew she was for real!

*off to youtube Kindle licking doggy*

And boys, play nice. If you can't hold it in, take it outside. You will disturb my books!

Edit: Mr Orlong, I'm more disturbed by the guy who places the Kindle in his back pocket. Is he crazy?? The minute he sits, he's gonna bend the book real bad. And this time it's also gonna crack.

Edited by frankie

Edit: Mr Orlong, I'm more disturbed by the guy who places the Kindle in his back pocket. Is he crazy?? The minute he sits, he's gonna bend the book real bad. And this time it's also gonna crack.

:lol:

I dread to think how many people have done that after seeing the advert :doh:

Oh crap. Ohhh crap!

I've discovered Bookdepository. This will be my financial ruin.

You see, previously I've done most of my shopping very randomly at charityshops and secondhand bookshops. Sometimes I've ordered something from play.com or adlibris.com. However, I haven't been able to order on play.com (my fave site!) in 7 months now, because I broke up with ex who used to do all my ordering, because they didn't except my credit card for some reason. And this has been killing me, because I love play.com's offers and their selection of used books, and the fact that they deliver free of charge.

Adlibris.com has been another favorite, they have a decent selection, but they are a bit more expensive than play.com and they usually charge 2,90e or so per order. Sometimes they have 'free delivery' months and I try and take advantage of those.

And now I discovered that Bookdepository accepts my credit card! And they have lovely offers! Free delivery! I've only browsed for about a minute, but the covers on the books... This would definitely work very well with my New Year's Resolution of buying original English copies only! Oh boy...

I'm off to continue browsing... Don't worry, I'm only looking... >>

Oh crap. Ohhh crap!

I've discovered Bookdepository. This will be my financial ruin.

I can't believe you've only just discovered it after my endless ravings about it! *pouts because Frankie doesn't listen to Kylie*

I would tell you again about Better World Books, but you won't listen. :(

( :giggle:)

My only problem with them is that they just stuff the books in bubble envelopes, so they can get a bit knackered in transit.

Yes, this can be a problem. However, if you order lots and lots of books at once (preferably including some thicker/taller books), there is a slight chance they will actually post some of them together in a cardboard box. Gotta buy lots though... ;)

Edited by Kylie

Book Depository is great, Frankie :smile:

My only problem with them is that they just stuff the books in bubble envelopes, so they can get a bit knackered in transit.

Really? I've received two packets from BookDepo (thanks to Kylie!) and they came in cardboard boxes. I wonder if that's to do with me being overseas?

One thing I find annoying about BookDepo is that they take a long time to deliver. I mean, we're not that far away from the UK. C'mon Royal Mail!!

I dread to think how many people have done that after seeing the advert :doh:

Now that I think about it, maybe that's their plan? To sell more? Only, they'd have to fix the dang things if the warranty is still valid. So really, it's a stupid idea in a commercial :D