Catwoman's Reading List 2012

catwoman

Ok so 2011 I didn't do any reviews. I was so bad last year. I barely read any books in the first half of the year. But my mojo has picked up.

This year I will also be going away on some big holidays which will involve some rather long flights. Back to what I didn in 2010. Hopefully this will give me even more time to read and hopefully givde me more insentive to keep my book lists going.

I am also determined to get myself a kindle this year in time for the holidays.

I have decided to set myself a higher reading challenge this year. 50 BOOKS!!!! I know for some people this isn't alot for some but for me this is a lot.

Included in this I want to get back into reading Non-fiction again. I barely read any this year (2011) so I want to change this. I have some City guide books in this so that will help. My challange is to READ 10 NON FICTION BOOKS

Also want to get back into completing my LOST book club challenge. I only read a couple last year. So that is a little mini challange for me.MY challange is 10 LOST BOOK CLUB BOOKS

Wanna try and get back into reading graphic Novels/ Comics again. so hopefully I can read 5.

Also I am going to Florida with my kids in August and while we are there we are going to The wizarding world of Harry Potter. I started reading the books last in 2011 and I have read up to book five. I am starting to love them now, but I must make sure I finish them before Florida or my kids will kill me!!

Edited by catwoman

THE BOOKS I HAVE READ IN 2012!

NON FICTION BOOKS

LOST BOOK CLUB BOOKS

LIBRARY BOOK CLUB BOOKS

RE_READ BOOKS

HARRY POTTER BOOKS

GRAPHIC NOVELS/ COMIC BOOKS

BOOKS READ SO FAR:

1* JESSE VENTURA - AMERICAN CONSPIRACIES (RED)

2* STIEG LARSSON - THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS' NEST (Millennium Book 3)

3* J.K. ROWLING - HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHEONIX (harry potter Book 5) (PURPLE) (BLUE)

4* CHRIS CARTER - THE NIGHT STALKER

Edited by catwoman

LOST BOOK CLUB CHALLANGE LIST OF BOOKS.

To be added when I have the time.

Edited by catwoman

I go to my local library book club every month. Here I will put the books that I have been given to me to read. sometimes I will be honest I don't read thembut may give other ideas for their own Book clubs.

LIBRARY BOOK CLUB READING LOG.

• 2 weeks later...

Because I've just got my Kindle I have made another Post to put all the books I have read in E Format. Just to see if I read more E-books or not.

1* Jesse Ventura - American Conspiracies

2* J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

3. Chris Carter - The Night Stalker

Edited by catwoman

Hi CW, Happy New Year to you. I was quite bad in 2011 also. My life was taken over my weddings, races, craft fairs etc so reading was put on the back burner. This year I hope to make it one of my priority hobbies again.

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments. I was terrible for reading let alone logging my reviews. I vow to change that this year.

Book 1* Jesse Ventura - American Conspiracies, Lies, lies and more lies

Rating Four out of Five Stars

519QiUBdfGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Synopsis

Former Minnesota governor, navy SEAL, and pro rassler Ventura has a new truTVshow investigating but not necessarily debunking conspiracy theories. This companion to the program, a sort of teaser, dissects such famed objects of unending speculation as the JFK, RFK, and MLK assassinations. Ventura concludes that none of those were twisted-loner crimes but rather resulted from conspiracies of varying vastness. Anent the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Ventura asserts that “our government engaged in a massive cover-up” and had “ties to the hijackers.” He ventures that “unanswered questions remain about how the towers were brought down and whether a plane really struck the Pentagon” and that the “Bush Administration either knew about the plan” or “had a hand in it.” Heady, paranoiac stuff, to be sure, but there are even more forthright charges regarding the assassination of Malcolm X, the Jonestown massacre, and the “stolen” elections of 2000, 2004, 2008, and, for that matter, 1980. Believable? Some of it. An action-packed read? You bet. --Mike Tribby

My review

Ventura's TV show is one of my guilty pleasures. I love it. I spent my day off sat watching a complete series one day! Whether or not I believe in the conspiracy I find Jesse's passion contagious. If you hate conspiracy theories maybe it is best to stop reading this review now. Because the book is exactly what it says it is.

Now I had a little bit of background knowledge on most of the cases. The ones I knew little about I found interesting and at times thought provoking. There were a couple that actually I knew a fair amount about like the JFK conspiracy, this chapter didn't really enlighten me that much more, yet I still found it enjoyable just reading it like Jesse was reading it in audio book form, with his passion and energy.

If you want a book to have loads of background research with indepth debate this book is not the book for you, nor do I think this was his intention. I think Ventura just wanted to highlight his theories and the theories that have been bought to his attention through filming his TV show. He give a list of books to follow on with if his book has wet your appetite.

All in all I love the book. It was, quick and easy to read. I put a few of recommended reading books on my wishlist. So Mr Ventura, Mission accomplished!

Edited by catwoman

• 2 weeks later...

Book 2: Steig Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest (Millennium 3)

51u75KogREL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Rating: five out of five stars.

Synopsis:

I'm not going to write a synopsis for this, purely because even the slightest of info may give away a storyline from the previous book. All I will say is that this is a continuation from book 2.

My Review:

As a lot of you know I loved the previous book and I am a fan of the characters Lisbeth salander. I would even go as far to say that she is one of my favourite fiction characters of all time.

Like previously said this is the continuing storyline from book 2 which I am not going to discuss. I want everyone in the world to read this series!

A lot of people dislike the millennium series because they are long, and in places can be very detailed and full of Swedish law and information that at the time seems pointless. Once I got used to Larssons' style I found I loved this and made me fully involved. the main characters in the series are Blomkist and Salander. they are still as everprominant in this book even though some of the other characters like Blomkists friend with benefits Berger has a storyline of her own through the book.

The storyline of book two does in many ways conclude at the end of book three. Some people feel that unfortunately some of the storylines were never finished and that they were wanting more. That is true for some things, and I agree that he could have made the series that little bit longer. If the rumours are right he had full intentions of wrtting more books with Salander and Blomkist, and he was already writing the fourth.

Did I love the books as much as one and two? maybe not but I still give it a five. maybe more so because I just love this orginal series so much. Out of the three books I found 2 to be the best of them all.

Am I sad that the series has ended? Yes, very much so. Just like when I finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy I was saddened that the world I had been in was finished. The journey, the feelings, the shock and the joys were gone. I hope it doesn't take me as long to find another series that captivates me as much as much as this did.

I've just read this review and I have noticed that it is complete blabble. Thats becuase I really don't know what to say other than you really should give the series a real go. I'm going to put it out there and say that the series is a modern classic!