Ooshie's Reading List 2012

Ooshie

Cover Her Face by P D James

Synopsis - from The Folio Society

The perfect English country house murder mystery, Cover Her Face has a plot so brilliantly conceived and executed it could only have come from the pen of ‘the greatest contemporary writer of classic crime’ (Sunday Times). In this, her debut novel originally published in 1962, P. D. James introduced the reading public to the quietly persistent and intuitive Detective Chief Inspector Adam Dalgliesh.

For generations the Maxie family, owners of Martingale manor house, have hosted the St Cedd’s church fête in their grounds. Family and friends gather at the manor to help organise stalls, prepare teas and ensure everyone leaves the grounds in good time at the end of the day. Later that evening, Eleanor Maxie and the rest of the household are thrown into confusion by the announcement of her son Stephen’s sudden engagement to the new parlour maid, the headstrong Sally Jupp. The following morning, confusion turns to shock when Sally is found dead, strangled in her bedroom. Initial speculation points to a stranger, but Dalgliesh is convinced Sally knew her murderer, and there is no shortage of suspects in this seemingly serene rural setting, as he unravels a complex mesh of lies, deceit and tangled relationships.

Subtle, intelligent and gripping to the very end, Cover Her Face is an outstanding contribution to the murder mystery genre by one of its greatest practitioners. Like Dorothy L. Sayers and Agatha Christie, P. D. James instinctively understands that a small English country parish provides the perfect setting for cold-blooded murder. Her deft narrative keeps the reader guessing to the end – an end which, when it arrives, is satisfyingly clear.

I very much enjoyed this, although I only gave 3.5/5 because even by the end of the book I wasn't quite convinced by the son of the house's proposal to the housemaid. It was more 'Agatha Christie' in feel than I had expected; the big house, the servants, the dinner party etc, and I wouldn't have guessed from this book that Chief Inspector Dalgleish would become such a major character, but I enjoy mystery stories and found this one a good read.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Aubrey-Maturin series really is very good. But it is a long series, and as you say

I was looking at them the other day in Waterstones. I love the covers (the 40th anniversary ones) but I imagine I will get them for Kindle in the end, because there are so many of them and shelf space is an issue!

I was looking at them the other day in Waterstones. I love the covers (the 40th anniversary ones) but I imagine I will get them for Kindle in the end, because there are so many of them and shelf space is an issue!

That sounds a great idea; I really must get a Kindle one day! :)

blueeyed boy by Joanne Harris

Synopsis - from Amazon

'Once there was a widow with three sons, and their names were Black, Brown and Blue. Black was the eldest; moody and aggressive. Brown was the middle child, timid and dull. But Blue was his mother's favourite. And he was a murderer.'

B.B. is a forty-two-year-old hospital porter still living at home with his mother in a Yorkshire village. His social life is played out online, on a website called badguysrock. There, he stalks Albertine, with whom he shares a troubled past, and spins dark murder fantasies - especially about his mother.As the story of their tortured relationship unravels, so does that of his blood feud with his brothers, the poignant tale of a blind child prodigy, and the poisonous truth lurking in the rotting heart of one disturbed family.

Blueeyedboy is an intricately plotted thriller that plays on the myriad opportunities for disguise, multiple personalities and mind games that are offered by the internet, and shows, in a cascade of heartstopping twists, how a fantasy life can erupt into the real world with unpredictable and devastating results.

I found this slightly 'bitty', as it is written in the form of public and private web log entries. It was an intriguing read, though, and definitely had some intriguing twists that I hadn't anticipated.

Edited by Ooshie

• 2 weeks later...

Foundation by Isaac Aasimov

Synopsis - from Amazon

For twelve thousand years the Galactic Empire has ruled supreme. Now it is dying. But only Hari Sheldon, creator of the revolutionary science of psychohistory, can see into the future—to a dark age of ignorance, barbarism, and warfare that will last thirty thousand years. To preserve knowledge and save mankind, Seldon gathers the best minds in the Empire—both scientists and scholars—and brings them to a bleak planet at the edge of the Galaxy to serve as a beacon of hope for a fututre generations. He calls his sanctuary the Foundation.

But soon the fledgling Foundation finds itself at the mercy of corrupt warlords rising in the wake of the receding Empire. Mankind's last best hope is faced with an agonizing choice: submit to the barbarians and be overrun—or fight them and be destroyed.

I intend to try and reread some of the books I have enjoyed over the years, and as I am trying to read more science fiction/fantasy this book, the second in the Foundation series, fitted the bill. But, oh dear, I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember the first time around. Still, a good enough story and an enjoyable read.

The Reverse of the Medal by Patrick O'Brian

Synopsis - from The Folio Society

He saw Jack in the full north light, sitting as though for his portrait. He seemed broader than before, heavier, profoundly grave of course, and somewhat leonine; but beneath the unmoved gravity Stephen perceived a wound that was hardly affected by the news of the Surprise.

On arrival in the West Indies Jack is met by the news that a large black man has been enquiring for him – a man who turns out to be the delightful Sam Panda, Jack’s illegitimate son. Now a Catholic missionary, he is travelling to Brazil in a ship so badly sailed that Jack feels it requires ‘guardian angels working double-tides, watch and watch’ to stop it sinking. Back in England, Jack’s complicated financial affairs seem to take an unexpected turn for the better when he saves a traveller from robbery. In gratitude the stranger advises Captain Aubrey to invest in certain stocks. What follows is the most crushing blow that Jack has yet faced, more painful than the many wounds he has suffered in battle and even worse than the loss of his ship. Stephen’s subtlety and brilliance is not enough to save Jack, even if he is able to save the Surprise.

Stephen himself must face painful news – misled by rumour, his wife Diana has left him. Worse, two traitors, French agents, continue to wreak havoc within the Admiralty itself. Stephen must surmount the agony of Diana’s rejection if he is to help his friend and outwit the traitors.

I hadn't been intending to read another in the Aubrey-Maturin series quite so soon, but I felt I really needed a comfort read, and this fitted the bill like nothing else! As always, the friendship between Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin is the mainstay of the book, and a good storyline and entertaining writing made it a pleasure to read.

The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing

Synopsis - from Waterstones

A classic tale from Doris Lessing, Winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature 2007, of a family torn apart by the arrival of Ben, their feral fifth child. 'Listening to the laughter, the sounds of children playing, Harriet and David would reach for each other's hand, and smile, and breathe happiness.' Four children, a beautiful old house, the love of relatives and friends, Harriet and David Lovatt's life is a glorious hymn to domestic bliss and old-fashioned family values. But when their fifth child is born, a sickly and implacable shadow is cast over this tender idyll. Large and ugly, violent and uncontrollable, the infant Ben, 'full of cold dislike', tears at Harriet's breast. Struggling to care for her new-born child, faced with a darkness and a strange defiance she has never known before, Harriet is deeply afraid of what, exactly, she has brought into the world!

I read this for the BCF Reading Circle, and it is probably the fourth time I have read this book. Very short, only about 160 pages, it certainly packs a lot into it. To me, it is a deeply disturbing horror story, although I know others interpret it differently. I will go on and read the sequel, Ben in the World, now; as far as I remember I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Fifth Child, but at the end of it you do learn

what Ben himself thinks he is, and what his ultimate reaction is.

Transition by Iain Banks

Synopsis - from Amazon

A world that hangs suspended between triumph and catastrophe, between the dismantling of the Wall and the fall of the Twin Towers, frozen in the shadow of suicide terrorism and global financial collapse, such a world requires a firm hand and a guiding light. But does it need the Concern: an all-powerful organisation with a malevolent presiding genius, pervasive influence and numberless invisible operatives in possession of extraordinary powers? On the Concern's books are Temudjin Oh, an un-killable assassin who journeys between the peaks of Nepal, a version of Victorian London and the dark palaces of Venice; and a nameless, faceless torturer known only as the Philosopher. And then there's the renegade Mrs Mulverhill, who recruits rebels to her side; and Patient 8262, hiding out from a dirty past in a forgotten hospital ward. As these vivid, strange and sensuous worlds circle and collide, the implications of turning traitor to the Concern become horribly apparent, and an unstable universe is set on a dizzying course.

I have read all Iain Banks books and enjoyed them, but only one of the science fiction books he writes under the name Iain M Banks (which I enjoyed too). For a while I felt surprised that this wasn't published under Iain M Banks, but as the story takes place on various guises of Earth, I came to feel that perhaps it was more similar to The Bridge which was also rather hard to classify.

A great science fiction thriller, my third 5/5 read of the year!

For a while I felt surprised that this wasn't published under Iain M Banks

That threw me as well, Ooshie! Glad to hear it's good, though - I'll inevitably get it at some point, as I like the sf novels I've read of his a lot :smile:

Live Wire by Harlan Coben

Synopsis - from Amazon

A beautiful woman walking into Myron Bolitar's office asking for help should have been a dream come true. Only this woman, Suzze T, is in tears - and eight months pregnant . . . Suzze's rock star husband has disappeared, and she fears the rumours questioning her baby's paternity have driven him away. For Myron, questions of fatherhood couldn't hit closer to home. His own father is clinging precariously to life, and the brother who abandoned the family years ago has resurfaced - with danger following close behind. Myron is soon forced to confront deep secrets in Suzze's past, his family's mortality - and his own . . .

I gave this 4/5 for entertainment value; I usually find that Harlan Coben's books are fairly unbelievable, but I like the humour in them, and they are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me! This one was a quick, easy read with a bit of excitement as usual.

Ben, in the World by Doris Lessing

Synopsis - from Waterstones

A sequel to one of Lessing's most celebrated novels, 'The Fifth Child'. Many will recall the powerful impact 'The Fifth Child', Doris Lessing's 1988 novel, made on publication. Its account of idyllic marital and parental bliss irredeemably shattered by the arrival of the feral fifth child of the Lovatts made for unnerving and compulsive reading. That child, Ben, now grown to legal maturity, is the central character of this sequel, which picks up the fable at the end of his childhood and takes our primal, misunderstood, maladjusted teenager out into the world, where again he meets mostly with mockery, fear and incomprehension but with just enough kindness and openness to keep him afloat as his adventures take him from London to the south of France and on to South America in his restless quest for community, companionship and peace. Doris Lessing, in this book, employs a plain, unadorned prose fit for fables; again, we have a childlike perspective at the heart of the book; again, the world in all its malevolence and misapprehenison swirls around at the edge, while, occasionally, a strong character steps forward to try to stake out some values and practise some good behaviour.

Another short book (less than 180 pages I think) and, again, very powerful. You learn more about Ben's thought processes, and his behaviour patterns, but I don't want to say too much more about it in case anyone who is reading The Fifth Child for the Reading Circle decides to read the sequel! :)

For anyone interested in what Doris Lessing herself had intended Ben to be, here is an exerpt from an interview she did with Bill Moyers:

BILL MOYERS: … as I listen to you talk, I think of what to me is perhaps-- for me, the most moving and revealing … of your works. It's The Fifth Child. I mean, this infant in Harriet's womb. Who turns out to be a savage thing. A monster. I can't read that, without being reminded of what you're talking about. The fragility of happiness. You create this attractive family. And then you destroy it.

DORIS LESSING: I wanted to write a version of that very ancient fable. You know, the fairies put a-- an alien into the human cradle. That was-- only, instead of being a fairy, he's a throwback to some past race. And someone would be perfectly viable on a hillside, in a cave somewhere. Put him into a-- a-- civilized life. And of course, you would destroy it. So, I created Ben. Which-- well, it's a pretty horrible book, isn't it?

Edited by Ooshie

• 2 weeks later...

Transition by Iain Banks

For a while I felt surprised that this wasn't published under Iain M Banks, but as the story takes place on various guises of Earth, I came to feel that perhaps it was more similar to The Bridge which was also rather hard to classify.

A great science fiction thriller, my third 5/5 read of the year!

That threw me as well, Ooshie! Glad to hear it's good, though - I'll inevitably get it at some point, as I like the sf novels I've read of his a lot :smile:

I've only ever read one Iain Banks, which was Wasp Factory, that I didn't much enjoy at the time but it's definitely stayed in my mind and I've bought a copy of it and intend to re-read it someday. His 'M' stuff totally intimidates me :blush: I've read the blurb of Transition and I also wondered why it wasn't Md. Good to hear you enjoyed it, and quite a lot even! Might need to read it someday :)

• 2 weeks later...

His 'M' stuff totally intimidates me :blush:

Don't let it, it's great fun!

Ooshie, I've bought Weaveworld and shall be reading it this month. Now I'm going to demand badger encourage you to read one of my faves, The Lions of Al-Rassan:

http://www.amazon.co...36039847&sr=1-1

:D

• 1 month later...

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Synopsis - from Amazon

One man, Richard Cypher, holds the key to the fate of three nations, of humanityBut until he learns the Wizard's First Rule his chances of succeeding in his task are slim. And his biggest problem is admitting that magic exists at all...A novel of incomparable scope and brimming with atmospheric detail: in a world where heart hounds stalk the boundaries for unwary human prey, blood-sucking flies hunt on behalf of their underworld masters, and where artists can draw more than your likeness, there is no place to hide, nowhere safe. Here magic makes love twice as sweet, betrayal and loss twice as bitter.

Well, I quite enjoyed this. The writing probably isn't the best ever, and not all the ideas are very original, but it kept me reading and interested enough to think I will buy the second book in the series. The one thing that did irritate me was that at times it was hard to tell what age Richard was meant to be; from the storyline he is obviously meant to be adult, but quite often he is written about as though he is an adolescent.

3/5

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

Synopsis - from Amazon

A young woman is murdered in her flat and a tiny red diamond in the shape of a five-pointed star is found behind her eyelid. Detective Harry Hole is assigned to the case, alongside his long-time adversary Tom Waaler and initially wants no part in it.

But Harry is already his final warning and has little alternative but to drag himself out of his alcoholic stupor when it becomes apparent that Oslo has a serial killer on its hands.

A good read that I thoroughly enjoyed - 4/5

The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo

Synopsis - from Amazon

It is a freezing December night and Christmas shoppers have gathered to listen to a Salvation Army carol concert. Then a shot rings out and one of the singers falls to the floor, dead.

Detective Harry Hole and his team are called in to investigate but have little to work with - there is no immediate suspect, no weapon and no motive.

But when the assassin discovers he's shot the wrong man, Harry finds his troubles have only just begun.

4/5 for this one too.

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

A good read that I thoroughly enjoyed - 4/5

The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo

4/5 for this one too.

Doh! :doh:Knew I shouldn't have came on here Ooshie gonna have to put these on the wishlist now.

Doh! :doh:Knew I shouldn't have came on here Ooshie gonna have to put these on the wishlist now.

The earlier two, Redbreast and Nemesis, were really good too! They are kind of addictive. Good detective stories and engaging characters while being easy to read at the same time. I have been a bit out of sorts recently and they have been the only books I have wanted to read, which is why I am working my way through them quite so quickly! :)

The earlier two, Redbreast and Nemesis, were really good too! They are kind of addictive. Good detective stories and engaging characters while being easy to read at the same time. I have been a bit out of sorts recently and they have been the only books I have wanted to read, which is why I am working my way through them quite so quickly! :)

Ok gonna grab them too.

You've got a corker coming next then! :cool:

Yeah Ooshie, you've been gone too long! Don't be a stranger, aye? :friends3:

I see you've enjoyed Jo Nesbø's novels, that's great to hear. I've lately come to the conclusion that perhaps I've missed something by not having read any of his detective novels :)

Ok gonna grab them too.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did, vodkafan! :)

You've got a corker coming next then! :cool:

I read The Redbreast recently and can only echo the recommendations for it. Ive just started Nemesis and I'm already totally sucked in by it.

Yay, more Nesbo fans! You've got me intrigued now, Steve, I just wish my concentration was good enough to read faster just now...

Yeah Ooshie, you've been gone too long! Don't be a stranger, aye? :friends3:

I see you've enjoyed Jo Nesbø's novels, that's great to hear. I've lately come to the conclusion that perhaps I've missed something by not having read any of his detective novels :)

It's so good to be back! Oh, I think you would enjoy them, frankie, (but then, perhaps you ought to remember that I am the one who thought people would enjoy Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow :giggle:)