Question about Green metropolis

Bigbananas

Hi

I am thinking of joining green metropolis to sell and buy books. Does anyone know what the average delivery costs come out as?

Also has anybody used this site and has any feedback, positive or negative? I am thinking of putting a lot of my old books online and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.. Such a sad time getting rid of my babies :lol:.

:blush:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

I'm a relatively new seller at GreenMetropolis: I've sold three books so far and each has gone smoothly (so far!). There are quite a few experienced GreenMetropolis sellers on this forum.

They have info on postage here, and they also allow you to add extra depending on the book's size. Its very fair.

And don't be sad: they're going to people who want them. I end up feeling quite chuffed for them as I'm packing them to post :lol:

(P.S. Has anyone else noticed how some cheeky sellers are selling those new Penguins on GM? They're selling them for

I've used Greenmet for about nine months. It is an excellent site and I like it because 5p of your money goes to the Woodland trust. The only problem is that books do not always shift very quickly. The best sellers move quickly, but even then, because of the way they operate, books are placed to go out in the order they were placed on the site. So, there might be another six Labyrinths before yours. It's a fair system, you just have to be patient.

I have to say that if I want a book for this forum, or our local bookclub, I turn to GreenMet. It's a great site and I fully recommend it.

Pp

I am thinking of joining green metropolis to sell and buy books. Does anyone know what the average delivery costs come out as?
A small-to-average sized paperback will probably cost about 55-90p to send. Thinker ones cost a little more, but I think the most I've paid out to send a paperback was somewhere around the

It also depends how you pack them - if you're wrapping them in bubble wrap or using padded envelopes, this adds to the cost as Royal Mail postage now goes by size as well as weight. If it can fit into a C5 envelope and have the excess taped up, or use one of those strong plastic envelopes, it costs less, as there's not as much bulk.

As for those books that only cost about

Don't forget that the cost of stamps goes up on Monday.....
I forgot about this, but I actually went and bought 2 books of 12 stamps today (12 1st class & 12 2nd class) as I'd completely run out due to sending a letter yesterday - good timing there! Of course, that doesn't help with the packages...

Mine all seem to sell in fits and starts. Some months I'll sell none and other months I'll sell a dozen one after the other. Children's books sell quite well, but also books that are part of well-publicised things such as Richard & Judy's book club sell quite quickly. I've sold books of every genre on there.

i think i'm being thick here.

i'd never heard of green metropolis until this thread and so had a look.

all books £3.75. but i can buy new books in tesco or asda for £3.73!

i suppose it's good for those books that are not brand new, or the supermarkets aren't stocking (they only seem to do familiar authors or if a book becomes extremely popular) but for a brand new book by a popular author, you are just as well getting it from the supermarket

i know it's a sorry state of affairs when supermarkets are the best option for something as precious as books

With regards supermarkets, I don't have a Tesco anywhere near me, and Asda is quite a way off. Sainsbury's books always seem quite expensive, and in Morrisons (my nearest), they don't get cheaper until they're older. :lol:

However, I tend to use GM for the slightly older books, rather than brand new ones, so it does have it's uses! :blush:

With regards supermarkets, I don't have a Tesco anywhere near me, and Asda is quite a way off. Sainsbury's books always seem quite expensive, and in Morrisons (my nearest), they don't get cheaper until they're older. :lol:

However, I tend to use GM for the slightly older books, rather than brand new ones, so it does have it's uses! :blush:

yes, that's what i was thinking.

at the moment i'm thinking i should read the philip pullman stuff and so it looks like a good place to do so. i do have books listed on RISI but everything on there is so .... random

(agree about sainsbury's prices too - very expensive)

It's true that if in demographic reach you can buy books cheaper, but the point about Greenmet is recycling, and the 5p which goes to the

Woodland trust. If you are not into that then by all means buy new.

One of the featured Authors, I think it was Carole Matthews, talked about royalties going down because of second hand books. I am now considering buying new books for current and new authors and getting older books on GreenMet. Maybe I'll include very well known best sellers like Terry Pratchet and Ian Rankin as they are established, but lesser known and new authors, I am considering buying new.

Pp

• 3 months later...