Poppy's Paperbacks 2012

poppyshake

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you do like your toast LOL. So, how's one to make it, so it's just right? And I'm sorry, this is so off-topic, if you'd like to steer us back to talking about books and the books you've read in particular, just say the word! Hehe!

I wouldn't want to give you the wrong impression .. like I'm some sort of toast Gestapo or something .. sending my toast back if it isn't the perfect shade or complaining if it's not buttered to the edges etc (though that IS annoying no?) As long as it's neither burnt nor cold nor anaemic then I'm fine with it .. I'll accept it even then but I am more likely to greet it with a scowl than the look of adoration I normally give it. I should be a toast ambassador actually .. going around the country promoting toast. Reminds me of Jasper Fforde and his toast marketing board :D brilliant concept. Books and food/food and books .. they go together like ... ermmm .. Wallace & Gromit :D Life would not be worth living without them .. of course you couldn't actually live without food but the same could be said of books. Apparently there are people that survive without reading them :o but I've never met any of them (and quite frankly frankie .. I don't want to :D).

Yes, Mr Ted... I'm going to make a very bold suggestion and a rather rude one. But suppose I were to find him in the psychopath book I'm reading. I mean seriously, he might have been a narcissist (I'm not saying he is, but... let me go on this hypothetical journey for a second). So of course he would make wonderful toast and think that was it, now she loves me and I can do pretty much what ever the heck I please. Narcissists can fool everyone, even educated psychologists! So I think your toast theory can still be applied, but just to the regular of men. ;)

Well the jury's out about Ted isn't it? I must say that when I read her journals (and I know they have a biased slant due to Ted's editing) it seemed that he was quite nurturing .. he would be the one doing the cooking and making sure she ate and bolstering her up when the rejections came in which they did by the bucketload and encouraging her in her writing (of course .. he may have made it LOOK like that). She did seem to be quite difficult to live with .. very highly strung .. and almost majestically unreasonable at times (I recognised a kindred spirit :D). I'm looking forward to reading the un-edited version to see if I get the same impression. But Sylvia was one of those see-saw people .. she was either incredibly high or incredibly low and like all geniuses she didn't really live to the same rules as the rest of us. I think that's quite hard to deal with especially for a man (because .. let's face it .. they think with a different part of their anatomy :hide: ... some of them that is .. a very small minority .. no-one on here :D) they don't really like all those scenes. I DO wish he had stuck it out though .. made more toast for her (which might have proved to be a great cure because toast always sorts me out :D) .. but it turned out he had feet of clay *very cross and affronted face shaking a fist*

I wasn't familiar with 'lairy' but I googled it, it's my new word of the day! I might need to get lairy today so I can use that word, or at least make other people use it in reference to me, so I will remember the term from now on.

I hope you are still continuing to use it :D and I hope you have found a reasonable way to be it (I can be quite lairy on the subject of Madame B I can tell you!)

That's one pretty expensive season ticket, wow! But I guess we all have hobbies that rob us of some money, to different extents. I'm quite happy now that my hobby is such an inexpensive one, in comparison. If I were really truly utterly skint all the time, I could go to the library and those books cots me nothing. Phew!

Isn't it nice to have such a cheap hobby .. I mean you don't really have to spend a penny to read good books if your local library is well stocked. However, mine isn't .. it's quite shocking actually. I hadn't realised it before but the shoddiness of their shelves has cost me money. Actually, I love to collect books and to see them at home so I can't really blame the library for making me spend but .. if you were perchance EVER to come to England frankie *winks* and find yourself in the library at Cirencester .. I hope you will make a special point of going in and being lairy about their complete lack of interesting titles.

Did you start calculating exactly how many books you could buy for that amount? And did you go to BD to see which titles you would purchase?

Imagine having that sort of budget each year for books?!!? .. 'wouldn't it be luvverley' as Eliza Doolittle would say. *a sort of cheery-chappy cocknified nod*

That cracked me up, seriously! Oh I imagine he quite blushed. I hope he got you some flowers and choccy for that .. Oh dear!

It IS funny ... now. *cheesey but rueful grin* .. I've run out of emoticons *looks bashful*

Maybe they are just swapping survival tips, you know, for the occasion when we meet. Like, 'oh, remember to make your Mistress forget about bringing along a notebook where she can write down all the great titles your Mistress has read and will recommend, because I'm already overworked. Have you any idea what it's like, living in a tiny apartment with that kind of Mount TBR?? Oh of course you do, sorry I forgot'!

Awww .. they are getting on famously I have no doubt .. they'll be saying .. 'I'll never forget when she read Madame B .. I thought she'd never need me again .. I had to make her walk past Waterstone's so that she'd see that lovely Mitford book in the window' .. ''ahh yes, I had a very similar experience ... but luckily Lois Lowry had a new book coming out' *big smiley smile*

Hm. Now I'm getting really curious about this! And I'm also a bit scared, I like penguins a lot and I'd like to keep it that way!

Glad you've seen it finally and enjoyed it ... it never fails to cheer me up. *cute dog rolling around laughing* I'm quite enjoying inventing new emoticons *crunchy piece of toast nods his head* ... it's a bit addictive though *an aspirin rolls his eyes* .. and quite difficult to stop once you start *a man with a white coat approaches' ... I obviously need sleep help.

Ok, just let me deal with it for a moment..............

(hahahaha)

Interesting, this one is on my favorites list =)

That's the great thing about this place .. there's room for us all :D

I wouldn't want to give you the wrong impression .. like I'm some sort of toast Gestapo or something ..

LOL! I promise, that's not quite how I perceive you. (seeing what you had to do with the emoticons, I'm going to try and 'LOL' myself through the post so I don't have to do so much editing and inventive *addings* of my own. Knowing I could never achieve as tickilishly delicious ones as you did. LOL :D)

As long as it's neither burnt nor cold nor anaemic then I'm fine with it ..

But how is it possible to keep it from cooling off in a matter of second? This has always puzzled me. I take the toast out of the toaster, add butter, start eating, and still the second one is already coldish when I get to that. If you have any pointers and tips, please do share! Although, I can't remember when I've last had toast. It must be three years. Wow! Please, be my friend, still?

Well the jury's out about Ted isn't it?

Yes, it's out, and so out of it that I feel it like my civil duty to go and tell them how to settle the score!! But then again, I might be a misled creature myself. I'll have to keep my opinions to myself, and maybe sometimes whisper them to a trustworthy friend's ear.

I must say that when I read her journals (and I know they have a biased slant due to Ted's editing) it seemed that he was quite nurturing ..

Oh yes, I remember you reading the abridged version! I forget, do you already have a copy of the full, unabridge version? I'm very much looking forward to that particular review, because you'll be able to tell us which parts were censored, thus revealing to us to what extent Ted felt he had to 'smokescreen' us. I remember I was a bit unsure if I should send you the copy, I felt I was robbing you of the 'real thing' because it was the censored copy, but actually I think there are advantages to it when you've read the full version.

She did seem to be quite difficult to live with .. very highly strung .. and almost majestically unreasonable at times (I recognised a kindred spirit). I'm looking forward to reading the un-edited version to see if I get the same impression. But Sylvia was one of those see-saw people .. she was either incredibly high or incredibly low and like all geniuses she didn't really live to the same rules as the rest of us.

Yes, I know she must've been a difficult partner but it's not like she wanted and chose to be that way. She was suffering from mental turmoil. And I do understand that it's not going to be easy even when you know that, but still. And my reasoning is always this: It wasn't only Sylvia that ended her own life, there was Assia as well. Which reminds me, should definitely get to that book. Too many books, too little time!

.. but it turned out he had feet of clay *very cross and affronted face shaking a fist*

Quite off topic, but. I didn't know that was a common phrase, I only know it from the Terry Pratchett book? Which coincidentally was the first Pratchett I ever read. Must google what it means. A'haa! Interesting.

I hope you are still continuing to use it and I hope you have found a reasonable way to be it (I can be quite lairy on the subject of Madame B I can tell you!)

Haha! Well actually, I've been wondering if I was being lairy in some way in the multiple PMs I wrote in that PM thread of ours (including the Mistress), because I never heard from either of you after that :blush:

Isn't it nice to have such a cheap hobby .. I mean you don't really have to spend a penny to read good books if your local library is well stocked. However, mine isn't .. it's quite shocking actually. I hadn't realised it before but the shoddiness of their shelves has cost me money. Actually, I love to collect books and to see them at home so I can't really blame the library for making me spend but .. if you were perchance EVER to come to England frankie *winks* and find yourself in the library at Cirencester .. I hope you will make a special point of going in and being lairy about their complete lack of interesting titles.

Funny you should say this, I've talked about libraries in a couple of different threads this weekend. The more I hear stories about other members' libraries on here, the more I think that I'm really lucky that the libraries I use are so well stocked. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, or whether the Finnish libraries are pretty well off in comparison. I promise I'll go lairy on the libraries IF I ever visit England *winky winky + giggle* And I'd definitely love to visit a few, just to see what they are like, and also to compare them with the Finnish libraries I've been to.

But I also agree, it's nice to have one's own library, hehee. Book collecting is so much fun. Well at least if one can keep it within reason, me thinks. I need some lessons on that!

Imagine having that sort of budget each year for books?!!? .. 'wouldn't it be luvverley' as Eliza Doolittle would say. *a sort of cheery-chappy cocknified nod*

It would be thrilling! Clickety click, I'd be on my way to BD in a heartbeat. Haha, imagine the look on your poor postman's face when he would one day notice that there were about 100 parcels coming your way :haha: And the next day. And the next.

Awww .. they are getting on famously I have no doubt .. they'll be saying .. 'I'll never forget when she read Madame B .. I thought she'd never need me again .. I had to make her walk past Waterstone's so that she'd see that lovely Mitford book in the window' .. ''ahh yes, I had a very similar experience ... but luckily Lois Lowry had a new book coming out' *big smiley smile*

I hope they have a fall out, I don't want them becoming inseparable bosom buddies. I need my mojo and I dare say so do you!!

*cute dog rolling around laughing* I'm quite enjoying inventing new emoticons *crunchy piece of toast nods his head* ... it's a bit addictive though *an aspirin rolls his eyes* .. and quite difficult to stop once you start *a man with a white coat approaches' ... I obviously need sleep help.

:lol: Do you really think only one man in a white coat will suffice? They'll bring in the whole team! :giggle2:

talktothesnail.jpg

Talk to the Snail - Stephen Clarke

Waterstone's Synopsis: Have you been taken to what you've been assured is the perfect house deep in the French countryside, only to find there's no electricity or running water? Gone to the doctor with a nasty cough, and been diagnosed with a rather more personal complaint? Walked into an half-empty restaurant, only to be told that it's complet? If the answer to any of the above is oui, "Talk to the Snail" is the book for you. Find out how to get served in a restaurant; the best way to deal with French hypochondria; learn the language of love, sex and suppositories (not necessarily in that order); it's all here in this funny, informative, seriously useful guide on how to get what you really want from the French. With advice on essential phrases and bons mots to cover all eventualities, and illustrated with witty real-life anecdotes, "Talk to the Snail" is a book that no self-respecting Francophile - or Francophobe - can afford to be without. Don't go to France without reading this book. And don't even think of buying a house there.

parisrevealed.jpg

Paris Revealed - Stephen Clarke

Waterstone's Synopsis: Paris is one of the most visited cities in the world. But do you know ...Which is the most romantic spot to say 'je't'aime'? And the sexiest? Where to see fantastic art, away from all the crowds? Why Parisian men feel compelled to pee in the street? How to choose a hotel room where you might actually get a good night's sleep? Stephen Clarke goes behind the scenes to reveal everything Parisians know about their city - but don't want to tell you.

Review: Yes, alright .. I have gone mad for all things French. I've been eating the food (the food that I can get hold of that is .. the rest I have just been drooling dreaming about), reading the books and I would indeed be listening to the music if my CD of French accordion songs had turned up from Amazon but ... malheureusement .. it hasn't :D Anyway, when I saw these books at my local library (and I'm almost tempted to take my comments about them back now ... almost ;)) I snatched them up because they had my name on .. figuratively speaking.

Now it's all meant to be incredibly tongue in cheek and indeed both books are very funny but I read a lot of things that .. instead of informing me .. have worried me half to death :o To be fair this is pretty easy ... just telling me that a decent cuppa is going to be hard to find is enough to make me want to press a lavender soaked hankie to my temples .. mais non! .. it is much worse than that.

Some of Stephen's musings and advice:

'When dealing with a Frenchman, you need to be aware that there is a voice in his head. It is constantly telling him "I'm French, I'm right".

'The French are geniuses as being polite while simultaneously insulting you'.

Café au lait: 'All too often I hear English-speaking tourists asking for "un café olé si voo play" and I know they're going to end up with a cripplingly expensive tureen of beige soup'.

'Good service is like a computer game. You've got to press the right buttons or it'll be game over before you've had a chance to buy a single croissant'.

'If you only want a drink, don't sit down at a table that has been laid for lunch/dinner. Sit in the wrong place and they will set the dogs on you (verbally at least)'

'Do not under any circumstances, mention the words "vegetarian" or "food allergy" because doing so will only cause unnecessary panic like saying "bomb" in an American airport.

'Don't step on to one of the pedestrian crossings that have no traffic lights and expect an oncoming driver to stop of his or her own accord. Stepping out in front of this car, even if it is some way off, will get you, at best, yelled at, and at worst run over and yelled at'.

'I have probably written more than anyone on the subject of dogs doing their business on Paris's pavements. Even more shocking, to me at any rate, is the fact that Parisian men are just as active as the dogs' :o

'If you are standing on a crowded train, crushed up against the doors, and it arrives at a large junction, people are going to want to get off. They will probably start saying "Pardon, je descends" even before the train has stopped. As soon as the doors open, you have to get out of the train, step to one side, and wait while hordes of impatient Parisians stream out of the carriage. Failure to do this can result in ruptured kidneys.

And so it goes on, there seems to be a right and wrong way of going about everything .. a certain etiquette needed re queues, getting served, ordering food, crossing roads, spare seats on the Métro, the proper way to greet someone, asking directions etc etc and a 'beware list' as long as your arm.

There are plenty of positives too but I did .. what I always do in life .. I focused on the negatives (aren't you proud of me :smile:) .. the 'could go disastrously wrongatives' .. and there seems to be a lot of them. Now a sensible person would say to themselves .. 'most of this is just common sense .. I'm not stupid' but the thing is I am :D I have only travelled on the London underground a handful of times and I managed to go the wrong way then .. and I was only going from Earls Court to Olympia .. that is one stop away!!!! I tend to panic in unfamiliar circumstances and all of Alan's time and focus is used up on trying to stop me from dissolving in a heap ... oh joie!

I have since bought the Eyewitness information guide on Paris and it's much more calming .. it has pics of lovers on bridges and pics of macaroons so all in all a much more soothing and encouraging book. It has a survival guide at the back which I feel was written just for me and lots of maps and stuff. So, to a certain extent, I feel confident again that I can visit Paris and come home with both sanity and bones intact. Stephen Clarke has written some others too but I won't be reading them because it'll just be more of the same but if you like reading humorous travel books (and I usually do) then you'll probably enjoy these enormously.

7/10 both

But how is it possible to keep it from cooling off in a matter of second? This has always puzzled me. I take the toast out of the toaster, add butter, start eating, and still the second one is already coldish when I get to that. If you have any pointers and tips, please do share!

I don't really have any tips .. in hotels they wrap the toast in a napkin but this is a big no no .. it steams the toast and makes it go .. as Delia would say ... 'wangy' which is a very bad thing indeed. My toaster is one that doesn't pop up ... it has a timer and it rings when the toast is done (and the heat switches off) but the toast stays in and you pop it up with a lever .. which means you can pop just one slice up and then let the other one down again to keep warm .. YES, that's it .. it has a warming function .. why didn't I say that earlier :D It's ok, but it does mean that you have to stand up and eat your toast at the counter .. like eating pancakes .. it's not restful!

Although, I can't remember when I've last had toast. It must be three years. Wow! Please, be my friend, still?

:oI didn't actually think that was possible ... and you're ok? .. I mean nothing's dropped off or anything? Well, yesterday I learnt that you can actually lick your own elbow (however .. it's still eluding me :smile:) and today I've learnt that people can function perfectly normally without toast.

Oh yes, I remember you reading the abridged version! I forget, do you already have a copy of the full, unabridge version? I'm very much looking forward to that particular review, because you'll be able to tell us which parts were censored, thus revealing to us to what extent Ted felt he had to 'smokescreen' us. I remember I was a bit unsure if I should send you the copy, I felt I was robbing you of the 'real thing' because it was the censored copy, but actually I think there are advantages to it when you've read the full version.

Yes, I agree .. what he left out will speak volumes .. and it will be very, very interesting.

Yes, I know she must've been a difficult partner but it's not like she wanted and chose to be that way. She was suffering from mental turmoil. And I do understand that it's not going to be easy even when you know that, but still. And my reasoning is always this: It wasn't only Sylvia that ended her own life, there was Assia as well. Which reminds me, should definitely get to that book. Too many books, too little time!

The thing with Assia is I think she carried the guilt about Sylvia .. why else would you kill yourself in exactly the same way? (though she may have thought this the best way of avenging herself on Ted). I don't suppose the public were very nice to her ... it must have been a harrowing time especially as Ted didn't want to commit. Again she was fragile and he was .. well (no offence) .. a man! .. they're a foreign country aren't they? .. or is that 'the past'? I blame him for a lot of things but not for their deaths because you have to take responsibility for your own actions. He gave both women cause but he wouldn't be the first man .. or woman .. to do that. Sylvia had already attempted to take her own life before she met him .. I feel it would have come sooner or later because she felt so deeply about things and took rejection (not only in love but in work too especially) badly. Leonard Woolf was devoted to Virginia and she was a highly successful author .. but that wasn't enough to stop her from jumping in the river. They had too many demons .. and thats the real tragedy .. they found it hard to be truly happy :( This is not letting Ted off .. he was a super rat but no more so than Prince Charles or Hemingway or Bill Clinton or Ronnie Wood or Brad Pitt .. I guess it's what comes after that colours our view of a person. We don't really think ill of Brad .. but if Jen had taken her own life ... we would most probably (though it's a weird society we live in because mostly we blame Angelina.)

Quite off topic, but. I didn't know that was a common phrase, I only know it from the Terry Pratchett book? Which coincidentally was the first Pratchett I ever read. Must google what it means. A'haa! Interesting.

It's biblical isn't it? .. but I'm thinking I read it in an Austen book .. no, not an Austen a Gaskell .. and it was in the adaptation of 'Wives & Daughters' .. Mrs Hamley says it about her son Osborne .. it sort of stuck in my mind after that.

Haha! Well actually, I've been wondering if I was being lairy in some way in the multiple PMs I wrote in that PM thread of ours (including the Mistress), because I never heard from either of you after that :blush:

Bless you .. I've just been terribly slow about replying. I owe my Mum an email .. she hasn't heard from me for over two weeks and I feel ashamed now .. I've let both her and you down .. really I don't deserve to have friends :friends0:

Funny you should say this, I've talked about libraries in a couple of different threads this weekend. The more I hear stories about other members' libraries on here, the more I think that I'm really lucky that the libraries I use are so well stocked. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, or whether the Finnish libraries are pretty well off in comparison. I promise I'll go lairy on the libraries IF I ever visit England *winky winky + giggle* And I'd definitely love to visit a few, just to see what they are like, and also to compare them with the Finnish libraries I've been to.

My favourite is Swindon library which is about 20-25 mins by car but it's worth it. It's nothing special .. a bit tatty really but it's full of books. Cirencester library had a makeover before I moved here .. it's got glass shelves but it's hardly got any books :o You go through the door and the focus is on DVD's and 'Easy Reads' as if they're having to convince people to read. I believe it used to have a nice library before ... bother .. too late again!! I think Finnish libraries could teach ours a thing or two!

But I also agree, it's nice to have one's own library, hehee. Book collecting is so much fun. Well at least if one can keep it within reason, me thinks. I need some lessons on that!

But as long as you're selective .. and you are .. it'll always be rewarding and you'll get so much pleasure from them in the future. It's not the same as collecting decorative plates or china dogs or Star Wars figures .. there always comes a point when you think .. why did I do that (usually when you can't move for them). I guess we will all be Kindlified eventually .. there may not be new paper books in the future so these old precious volumes will be even more treasured.

It would be thrilling! Clickety click, I'd be on my way to BD in a heartbeat. Haha, imagine the look on your poor postman's face when he would one day notice that there were about 100 parcels coming your way :haha: And the next day. And the next.

My postman would resign .. he's had enough of me and my books already. He hates January and he hates February .. I believe he may well run away this Christmas :D

I hope they have a fall out, I don't want them becoming inseparable bosom buddies. I need my mojo and I dare say so do you!!

I so do .. mine is playing hide and seek lately.

:lol: Do you really think only one man in a white coat will suffice? They'll bring in the whole team! :giggle2:

:giggle2:One man would do .. as long as he brings a harpoon sized tranquilizing dart with him :D

talktothesnail.jpgparisrevealed.jpg

These seem like quidebooks that are both informative and useful and still funny to read. Eventhough one isn't planning on going to France. Which I, btw, wanted to ask you about: What's with the French theme lately? Are you going on a trip to France (if so, I'm sorry but I've missed it!)?

Is it just me, or does it feel like there's a bit too much of 'this is the way to do it, this is not the way to do it', about too many things? I mean, it started to feel like the French are almost regimental about how things should go. Reading this review has not been a very good antidote for my prejudices about the country :blush:

I don't really have any tips .. in hotels they wrap the toast in a napkin but this is a big no no .. it steams the toast and makes it go .. as Delia would say ... 'wangy' which is a very bad thing indeed. My toaster is one that doesn't pop up ... it has a timer and it rings when the toast is done (and the heat switches off) but the toast stays in and you pop it up with a lever .. which means you can pop just one slice up and then let the other one down again to keep warm .. YES, that's it .. it has a warming function .. why didn't I say that earlier. It's ok, but it does mean that you have to stand up and eat your toast at the counter .. like eating pancakes .. it's not restful!

Even I, a very unpractical and useless person in a kitchen, know that a napkin covering the toast will make them all bad. Or at least I can imagine they would. Ah, a toaster with a warming function! Brilliant, just brilliant. Although I don't think I should be so surprised that those things exist. Have you ever consider placing the toaster on the table by which you eat? You wouldn't have to leave the table for the toast if you did ;)

I didn't actually think that was possible ... and you're ok? .. I mean nothing's dropped off or anything? Well, yesterday I learnt that you can actually lick your own elbow (however .. it's still eluding me) and today I've learnt that people can function perfectly normally without toast.

I'm perfectly intact, all bits and pieces are still hanging about, but I can't be the judge of my own mental state. :D Who managed to lick their elbow? :o Pics or didn't happen! :D

The thing with Assia is I think she carried the guilt about Sylvia .. why else would you kill yourself in exactly the same way? (though she may have thought this the best way of avenging herself on Ted). I don't suppose the public were very nice to her ... it must have been a harrowing time especially as Ted didn't want to commit. Again she was fragile and he was .. well (no offence) .. a man! .. they're a foreign country aren't they? .. or is that 'the past'?

Yes I also think that people must've been pretty horrible towards her. It's easier to be the 'other woman' if none of the parties involved are famous. Of course we are all responsible for our actions, and in the end it was Assia who decided to take her own life, but I think that Ted contributed to it in so many ways. And I can't help but feel that there was a pattern for Ted in what kind of women he went after. Maybe he felt he needed to be the dominant person and maybe that resulted in him going with fragile, unstable women.

But I appreciate your views on the subject of course. I think there might be some further debate on it's way when you get to reading the unabridged version. :giggle:

Bless you .. I've just been terribly slow about replying. I owe my Mum an email .. she hasn't heard from me for over two weeks and I feel ashamed now .. I've let both her and you down .. really I don't deserve to have friends

Oh don't be silly, love! :empathy: We are all busy bees and I wouldn't expect you to reply immediately to everything, but maybe because I was being more vocal than usual (e.g. PMS rant :blush:), I thought I might've scared you off.

Cirencester library had a makeover before I moved here .. it's got glass shelves but it's hardly got any books :o You go through the door and the focus is on DVD's and 'Easy Reads' as if they're having to convince people to read.

Glass shelves? What? Do they want to make it into a museum? And where are all the books?? A pox on a library that's more concerned about their DVD section!! And a pox on a library that's better stocked with Easy Reads than real, unabridged books!

My postman would resign .. he's had enough of me and my books already. He hates January and he hates February .. I believe he may well run away this Christmas

It would be quite surprising if he hasn't already begged for a pay rise, every year or so :D I wonder if he dreams of book parcels, and delivering them to you...

Don't worry about Paris, poppyshake. Clarke's got books to sell, and he knows we love reading about how rude and arrogant the French are. Whenever I've been to France (yes, even as the most obvious tourist on the planet, and yes, even in Paris!), I've never come across anyone who wasn't polite, helpful and as friendly as you could hope to meet. You'll have a wonderful time there.

I'm not poppyshake, but I also needed that, Roland Butter. I was beginning to think quite horrid things about France and your comment put an end to that. I shall from now on think of you (no, I mean your comments!) when I think of France :)

I read A Year in the Merde, another book by Stephen Clarke a few years back, and I thought it a bit odd. I found it in the travel section of the bookshop, but when I started reading it, I thought it was fiction. When I looked it up, it seems as though it's part fiction, part memoir, but it just didn't sit quite right. At around the same time, I read Almost French by Sarah Turnbull (willoyd reviewed it a few weeks ago) which I loved, so I would recommend that one instead.

I've also read Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer, and although I remember enjoying it a lot at the time, I now find I can't actually remember much about it know, which considering it's about books and a bookshop, I find rather odd. There aren't many books that I know I've read, but can't remember much about them, yet this is definitely one of them.

These seem like quidebooks that are both informative and useful and still funny to read. Eventhough one isn't planning on going to France. Which I, btw, wanted to ask you about: What's with the French theme lately? Are you going on a trip to France (if so, I'm sorry but I've missed it!)?

Yes I am :D .. but not until September :( we are going to Paris in the Autumn .. it will be fab! Or at least I hope so, I'm not good in cities .. they make me feel pankicky (that's not a word but I like it too much to correct it :D) but even so I am looking forward to it and if it all goes wrong then I have no-one but myself to blame because it's 99% my idea (Alan having been in too many cities with me to voluntarily do it again :D) I am hoping to get an apartment in the Latin Quarter because I want to feel 'in amongst it' .. especially in the more buzzing areas. I like the sort of narrow streets and sidewalk cafes that they have there and the way that it's not far from anything .. I won't be so comfortable around by the museums but will be visiting them for sure ... will need some courage pills or perhaps some wine .. yes a long lazy lunch will probably make me feel chilled out :D Anyway Eurostar is booked so Paris here I come :exc: (I expect Paris is as nervous about this as me!) If I can convince them I'm a writer I might even grab a bed at Shakespeare & Co and stay there for a few months .. I'll print out this blog .. they'll be well impressed.

Is it just me, or does it feel like there's a bit too much of 'this is the way to do it, this is not the way to do it', about too many things? I mean, it started to feel like the French are almost regimental about how things should go. Reading this review has not been a very good antidote for my prejudices about the country.

I think they're very proud of their country and heritage and that can come across as arrogance perhaps but I admire them for that in a way because we (in England anyway) don't seem to care enough about ours. The supermarkets have taken over here .. independent bakeries and butchers etc are few and far between and cheese shops hardly exist. As a result our shopping centres all look, more or less, the same. Cafe's can be very hit and miss and so can restaurants. I'm not saying there isn't good food to be got here but you have to be choosy. I think the standard is much better there because the competition is so healthy. (However frankie .. WERE YOU to come here I'm sure you'd find lots of nice places to eat etc .. you would definitely because I would furnish you with a list :smile:) On the other hand, if you went into a cafe here you could sit where you liked and they wouldn't be in the least bothered .. our drivers wouldn't try and run you over either and if you bumped into someone in the street they would most probably say sorry .. even though it was your fault so I am fond of us and our funny little 'obsessing about the weather' ways .. but at the same time we have this sort of 'I hope it fails' mentality and we could do with being a little bit more 'we're brilliant and everything we do is good' .. not much .. just a pinch.

Have you ever consider placing the toaster on the table by which you eat? You wouldn't have to leave the table for the toast if you did

Do you know frankie, I sometimes wonder why I have a brain.

Who managed to lick their elbow? Pics or didn't happen! :D

I think you'd need a superpower. It'd be a bit of a rubbish one though because I can't think where you could put it to good use.

Yes I also think that people must've been pretty horrible towards her. It's easier to be the 'other woman' if none of the parties involved are famous. Of course we are all responsible for our actions, and in the end it was Assia who decided to take her own life, but I think that Ted contributed to it in so many ways. And I can't help but feel that there was a pattern for Ted in what kind of women he went after. Maybe he felt he needed to be the dominant person and maybe that resulted in him going with fragile, unstable women.

But I appreciate your views on the subject of course. I think there might be some further debate on it's way when you get to reading the unabridged version. :giggle:

Oh no doubt .. those edited out bits must give you the juice on Ted or else why would he have left them out? I think he was with his last wife for over twenty years, however, I'm not sure if he was faithful. I only know what I know (which is postage sized small) from Sylvia's journals and from doing a little bit of Google mooching.

Oh don't be silly, love! We are all busy bees and I wouldn't expect you to reply immediately to everything, but maybe because I was being more vocal than usual (e.g. PMS rant), I thought I might've scared you off.

Never, not in a million years. I love you particularly when you're in rant mode :D

Glass shelves? What? Do they want to make it into a museum? And where are all the books?? A pox on a library that's more concerned about their DVD section!! And a pox on a library that's better stocked with Easy Reads than real, unabridged books!

It's all fur coat and no knickers .. as my Nan would say.

It would be quite surprising if he hasn't already begged for a pay rise, every year or so. I wonder if he dreams of book parcels, and delivering them to you...

He does .. but he calls them nightmares.

Don't worry about Paris, poppyshake. Clarke's got books to sell, and he knows we love reading about how rude and arrogant the French are. Whenever I've been to France (yes, even as the most obvious tourist on the planet, and yes, even in Paris!), I've never come across anyone who wasn't polite, helpful and as friendly as you could hope to meet. You'll have a wonderful time there.

Thank you Geoff .. I'm encouraged :friends0: I thought it must be quite friendly because so many people like going (and because .. though I'm not visiting him .. Mickey Mouse lives there and surely he wouldn't live in a place that had rude neighbours :D)

I read A Year in the Merde, another book by Stephen Clarke a few years back, and I thought it a bit odd. I found it in the travel section of the bookshop, but when I started reading it, I thought it was fiction. When I looked it up, it seems as though it's part fiction, part memoir, but it just didn't sit quite right. At around the same time, I read Almost French by Sarah Turnbull (willoyd reviewed it a few weeks ago) which I loved, so I would recommend that one instead.

Thanks Claire :smile: I'll see if one of the Swindon libraries has it (and I'll mosey over to Willoyd's for a look in a mo). Clarke talks a lot about A Year in the Merde (I would have put an asterisk in that .. if it was in English :D) in these books but I thought no .. enough is enough.

I've also read Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs by Jeremy Mercer, and although I remember enjoying it a lot at the time, I now find I can't actually remember much about it know, which considering it's about books and a bookshop, I find rather odd. There aren't many books that I know I've read, but can't remember much about them, yet this is definitely one of them.

That is odd .. I wonder if it'll happen to me. I do hope not because it's taking me months to review at the moment (too busy gabbing on about Paris obviously). I'm enjoying the book a lot .. it's full of odd eccentric characters and I can almost smell the place which is not a good thing because by all accounts it smelt terrible (a sort of mixture of old books, unwashed bodies, mouldy food and cats). I hope to visit it .. infact I WILL visit it .. that .. along with the macaroon shop .. is definite :D

Edited by poppyshake

Not me! I've never read it (although I'd like to). You know how I feel about sub-contracting out essential public services (such as reading .....) - although I suppose getting someone else to read your books for you would be a way of increasing your output!

Or maybe there's another me, and I don't know it. The comedian Jackie Mason does a riff on "finding the real me". Maybe it's on Youtube or something - if I can find it I'll stick it on Facebook.

Anyway, not guilty! Chesilbeach rather than me, I think :smile:

Yes I am .. but not until September. we are going to Paris in the Autumn .. it will be fab! Or at least I hope so, I'm not good in cities .. they make me feel pankicky (that's not a word but I like it too much to correct it ) but even so I am looking forward to it and if it all goes wrong then I have no-one but myself to blame because it's 99% my idea (Alan having been in too many cities with me to voluntarily do it again)

Oooooh, what fun! :smile2: September might seem long ways away, but I promise that what with summer on it's way, the three months will just fly by! And there's so much to be enjoyed in between. Warmer climate, the occasional sun, and books! I think Paris in autumn might be really great, it's like an extended summer for you :D

If I can convince them I'm a writer I might even grab a bed at Shakespeare & Co and stay there for a few months .. I'll print out this blog .. they'll be well impressed.

You'll convince them for sure! :D And besides, I've heard that they give you a room to sleep in if you help out in the bookstore :o Can you believe that?? You have to take pics. Video+audio would be nice too!

The supermarkets have taken over here .. independent bakeries and butchers etc are few and far between and cheese shops hardly exist. As a result our shopping centres all look, more or less, the same. Cafe's can be very hit and miss and so can restaurants. I'm not saying there isn't good food to be got here but you have to be choosy. I think the standard is much better there because the competition is so healthy. (However frankie .. WERE YOU to come here I'm sure you'd find lots of nice places to eat etc .. you would definitely because I would furnish you with a list )

In this respect I think Finland is a lot like the UK, and nowhere near France. (I think I'd be happy to just go to the nearest fish&chips place everytime I was hungry :giggle:)

On the other hand, if you went into a cafe here you could sit where you liked and they wouldn't be in the least bothered .. our drivers wouldn't try and run you over either and if you bumped into someone in the street they would most probably say sorry .. even though it was your fault so I am fond of us and our funny little 'obsessing about the weather' ways .. but at the same time we have this sort of 'I hope it fails' mentality and we could do with being a little bit more 'we're brilliant and everything we do is good' .. not much .. just a pinch.

I like the sound of this =) I'd feel much more comfortable in this sort of relaxed setting.

Do you know frankie, I sometimes wonder why I have a brain.

Indeed! Think if you didn't have one, you could store a few books in there, inside your head! Practical, aye? :D

Never, not in a million years. I love you particularly when you're in rant mode

:D I should rant more, then!

It's all fur coat and no knickers .. as my Nan would say.

Ewwww. Don't you people shave?

:giggle:

Agreed. I think there is a stereotypical view of the French, which writers (and other people in the media) like to encourage, but I don't think it is very realistic. Poppy, I think you'll have a wonderful time in Paris :) My brother took my mom there for her 60th birthday a few years back, and she loved it.

This is on my tbr, and I would love to read it. I'm sure this is one of the places that my brother took my mom (it stands to reason as they both love to read, and my brother loves browsing in bookshops - must be a family trait).

[/font]

You'll convince them for sure! :D And besides, I've heard that they give you a room to sleep in if you help out in the bookstore :o Can you believe that?? You have to take pics. Video+audio would be nice too!

It's true - they do allow you to sleep there. I really wish there were more independent bookshops like this around!

(I second Frankie's request for pictures - lots please!)

Not me! I've never read it (although I'd like to). You know how I feel about sub-contracting out essential public services (such as reading .....) - although I suppose getting someone else to read your books for you would be a way of increasing your output!

Or maybe there's another me, and I don't know it. The comedian Jackie Mason does a riff on "finding the real me". Maybe it's on Youtube or something - if I can find it I'll stick it on Facebook.

Anyway, not guilty! Chesilbeach rather than me, I think :smile:

I'm sorry Geoff .. it went wrong in the editing suite :giggle: .. sorry Claire :friends0:

Oooooh, what fun! September might seem long ways away, but I promise that what with summer on it's way, the three months will just fly by! And there's so much to be enjoyed in between. Warmer climate, the occasional sun, and books! I think Paris in autumn might be really great, it's like an extended summer for you.

It's going to give me plenty of time to read and plan (and stress :D). I booked a hotel yesterday .. was going to get an apartment but our dates are a bit awkward .. wanted to be in the Latin Quarter but have settled for Montparnasse .. on the actual rue that Sartre lived in .. will probably start having 'thoughts' and all sorts .. might even get an idea.

You'll convince them for sure! And besides, I've heard that they give you a room to sleep in if you help out in the bookstore. Can you believe that?? You have to take pics. Video+audio would be nice too!

Jeanette Winterson stays there a lot .. she is great friends with Sylvia .. not the Sylvia obviously but Sylvia Beach Whitman (how very confusing it all is.) I hope she's (Jeanette) there when I go in .. I'll tell her how much I liked her memoir. I won't mention your bad experience with OANTOF frankie ... it might prejudice my claim (to a bed :D) I will, if I'm allowed, take as many pics as poss. I haven't got a camcorder or anything but my camera does record little snippets .. so if I lick a book or anything, I might be able to get that on film (note to self: get a tetanus jab before you go! especially since you've read about all the bugs and mice and stuff.)

In this respect I think Finland is a lot like the UK, and nowhere near France. (I think I'd be happy to just go to the nearest fish&chips place everytime I was hungry )

Fish and chips (licks lips) .. oh you can't go wrong. We will have a fish and chip supper frankie :smile: when/if/ you come (hehe .. I can't help thinking that if you ever get here .. you and the mistress will just be in a car all the time going from A to B trying to fit in all the people/places/things that everyone wants you to see .. you should get your own coach or bus or popemobile or something and you can just wave majestically as you pass through all the towns .. getting out only if it is literarily necessary. I am going to take up jogging so that I can run behind and occasionally get to talk to you .. or pass you my books for autographing :D)

I like the sound of this =) I'd feel much more comfortable in this sort of relaxed setting.

Now I've said that .. you'll probably bump into all the rudest and most obnoxious people in the country :D

Indeed! Think if you didn't have one, you could store a few books in there, inside your head! Practical, aye?

I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have a brain .. I'd sit in the armchair and watch 'shoot em ups' 24/7 .. just like Alan does :o:giggle2:

I should rant more, then!

Definitely. I understand ranting .. I'm fluent in it :D

Ewwww. Don't you people shave?

:giggle:

:D Only on birthdays .. so I'll be nice and hairy come January.

Agreed. I think there is a stereotypical view of the French, which writers (and other people in the media) like to encourage, but I don't think it is very realistic. Poppy, I think you'll have a wonderful time in Paris :) My brother took my mom there for her 60th birthday a few years back, and she loved it.

Thank you Ruth .. I'm sure me and Paris are going to get on famously. I love croissants anyway .. and baguettes .. so I'm practically a native :D

This is on my tbr, and I would love to read it. I'm sure this is one of the places that my brother took my mom (it stands to reason as they both love to read, and my brother loves browsing in bookshops - must be a family trait).

There are two Shakespeare & Co sites to see .. the original one which is alas no more and the current one that's been standing for 60 years or so and is a sort of homage to the first one. I will try and see them both because they're not far from each other. But obviously I'm more excited about the current one .. because it's got BOOKS in and if I buy one it will be stamped with their special ('Kilometre Zero Paris') stamp :smile:

It's true - they do allow you to sleep there. I really wish there were more independent bookshops like this around!

Wouldn't it be great. Jeanette reckons it's helped her to recover from breakdowns .. just sleeping there among the books. You can't do that in Waterstone's .. they get really annoyed :D

(I second Frankie's request for pictures - lots please!)

I will do my best. I'm already worrying if I'll have enough memory (on my camera .. I think I'm alright with my actual memory .. I mean I won't end up in Berlin or anything .. hopefully) .. I might need to get another card.

you should get your own coach or bus or popemobile or something and you can just wave majestically as you pass through all the towns .. getting out only if it is literarily necessary. I am going to take up jogging so that I can run behind and occasionally get to talk to you .. or pass you my books for autographing :D)

A brilliant idea! But what are you doing running behind us? You'll be on the BCF Bus with us, of course! We can have a BCF road trip, rolling into each down and picking up another member. Lots of cheering and happiness... :D We'll paint the bus with book covers. It'll be like a psychedelic bus trip from the 60s, but minus the drugs.

:D Only on birthdays .. so I'll be nice and hairy come January.

Frankie, did you know that there's a stereotype about the English and bathing? :giggle:

Wouldn't it be great. Jeanette reckons it's helped her to recover from breakdowns .. just sleeping there among the books. You can't do that in Waterstone's .. they get really annoyed :D

Do you think just anyone can stay there? I would dearly love to spend a night in Shakespeare & Co, but I suspect that you would have to be well known or perhaps working there for a certain period to 'qualify'?

• 2 weeks later...

A brilliant idea! But what are you doing running behind us? You'll be on the BCF Bus with us, of course! We can have a BCF road trip, rolling into each down and picking up another member. Lots of cheering and happiness... :D We'll paint the bus with book covers. It'll be like a psychedelic bus trip from the 60s, but minus the drugs.

We'll get a nice .. out of commission .. red double decker and give it a makeover. I don't know about drugs .. I might need a sedative :D

Frankie, did you know that there's a stereotype about the English and bathing? :giggle:

Is there?? ... isn't that the French? I'm always the last to know :blush:

Do you think just anyone can stay there? I would dearly love to spend a night in Shakespeare & Co, but I suspect that you would have to be well known or perhaps working there for a certain period to 'qualify'?

I don't know how it works these days. I was reading something recently which said it's all a bit theme park now .. a sort of pastiche of what was .. but that doesn't stop me from wanting to visit. If it's good enough for Jeanette it's good enough for me .. she doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would revere it, as much as she does, if it had gone twee.

If you really want to stay the night there Kylie it's worth chancing your arm .. they can only say no and they might very well say yes :smile:

Is it worth doing an update? ... I had to go looking for this thread which for a gas-bag like me speaks volumes. Apart from the Reading Circle read and the books I've listened to or were finishing off .. everything I've read is about Paris :D This looks set to continue for a bit as the library has just informed me that it's got some books in I reserved whilst high on brie and saucisson.

I think I succeeded in making more time to read but it has been difficult because there have been so many distractions. I have FAILED to catch up with my reviews though and am even further behind now. One day I will just sit here and type until my fingers cramp .. just be grateful that that day won't be coming around anytime soon because I am still ridiculously busy with work.

Reading Goals for June 2012

Read at least two books that aren't about Paris

I should have put this link up ages ago because I wrote out my thoughts for the Reading Circle in March .. let other keyboards dwell on guilt and misery though .. I'm just glad I remembered it eventually :smile:

piedpiper.jpg

Pied Piper - Nevil Shute

Waterstones Synopsis: John Howard is determined to brighten up his old age by taking a fishing trip to France. However, during his stay the Nazis invade and he is forced to try to escape back to England with the two small children of some friends who are forced to stay behind in order to help the Allied war effort. As the conflict grows closer the roads become impassable and Howard also comes across five more children who need his help. He ends up leading this motley group of youngsters through the French countryside, constantly beset by danger yet heroically protecting his charges.

Review: The cover had long been calling to me but I didn't know if the story would be my cup of tea. It was however, it had two sugars, milk and everything (and a shortbread biscuit :D) John Howard is such an endearing character that you just root for him from the first. He's quite vulnerable and just reading about his attempt to escape from Nazi occupied France would have been nail biting enough but when you add the children to that .. most of which are only recently known to him .. the tension builds considerably. It's a great book, very readable and increasingly unputdownable.

As always more opinions can be found here ... March 2012 Reading Circle there may be some plot spoiling though so beware.

9/10